First Day of full contact? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

First Day of full contact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Strange for me that in discussion around this program, that I'm finding myself being on the side of the discussion I'm on, but after the past few seasons and what I witnessed last year, it's just hard to not balance my love for this game, and the excitement of a new season with some reality.

I'm sure our D will be improved, but I'll believe that we've got a pass rush, when I see it against a different offense than our own. Until then, the fact that media seems to be raving about a DE's ability to get into the backfield worries me about our OT's.

Welcome to the dark side of real life.

Reaction Score
yeah, I have a worry they will sucker Obi with that Villanova's Qb. Ah, well.

I just hope that when I watch the game that when our D is matched up with a QB that has 630 rushes in 3 years for 3k+ yards, that unlike last year to open the season against BYU, we have somebody on D that actually is spying the QB. If that's Obi, then hopefully the LB's and Adams are prepared to fill the coverage shell.

Reaction Score
I'm sure our D will be improved, but I'll believe that we've got a pass rush, when I see it against a different offense than our own. Until then, the fact that media seems to be raving about a DE's ability to get into the backfield worries me about our OT's.

I would think your anxiety could be balanced against the reviews how well Johnson looked yesterday and the fact that Newsome scored multiple TDs in red zone drills.

Reaction Score
I would think your anxiety could be balanced against the reviews how well Johnson looked yesterday and the fact that Newsome scored multiple TDs in red zone drills.

Talk to me after this team gets on the field against an opponent and has to deal with some adversity. Talk to me after we're actually in a game and the offense can control the flow and tempo of the game, and communicate and get personnel changes in and out, and execute the basics of lining up and getting a snap off with some urgency and aggression. Talk to me after we've stopped turning the ball over and start moving the chains regularly.

We're going to have learning curves again, we are on a new QB, and our 4th OC in 4 years. The only thing I can really expect that we need to happen well to compete is that the offense stop turning the ball over and give the D a chance until they get their side of the ball operating smooth.

Reaction Score
Talk to me after this team gets on the field against an opponent and has to deal with some adversity. Talk to me after we're actually in a game and the offense can control the flow and tempo of the game, and communicate and get personnel changes in and out, and execute the basics of lining up and getting a snap off with some urgency and aggression. Talk to me after we've stopped turning the ball over and start moving the chains regularly.

We're going to have learning curves again, we are on a new QB, and our 4th OC in 4 years. The only thing I can really expect that we need to happen well to compete is that the offense stop turning the ball over and give the D a chance until they get their side of the ball operating smooth.

You sound like a Calhoun Press Conference

Reaction Score
Welcome to the dark side of real life.

Oh I don't know if its the dark side. It's just that I've reached the point of being the doubting Thomas.

It's been a long time since I was confident in our teams ability to do much right on the football field, and media reports aren't going to change me much at this point. I can't wait for the season to start, because watching what's happening on the field is the only way it's going to change - for me, at least.

Reaction Score

There is no talking to you. :rolleyes: You seemingly reacted to a few media statements after an open practice ("Until then, the fact that media seems to be raving about a DE's ability to get into the backfield worries me about our OT's."). I only pointed out other media statements from the same open practice as counter-balance.

We'll agree that it is what it is until the season actually starts.

Reaction Score
There is no talking to you. :rolleyes: You seemingly reacted to a few media statements after an open practice ("Until then, the fact that media seems to be raving about a DE's ability to get into the backfield worries me about our OT's."). I only pointed out other media statements from the same open practice as counter-balance.

We'll agree that it is what it is until the season actually starts.

LOL. There's no talking to me. Imagine what I was like in real life when the difference between winning and losing a game involved things that really mattered. :)

I so very much want to see this program take the field and succeed.

My statement about the DE in the backfield and the OT's was entirely accurate. As for the redzone offense comments etc that you made that I responded to - it's pretty simple - red zone offense by definition, means you've somehow advanced the ball far enough to be in the red zone.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Nice mention by Boyle of Vechery at C in one of those links above... Wasn't/Isn't this kid a preferred walk-on? If so, HUGE strides made by this kid... Happy for him...

I believe he was recently (end of last season) awarded a scholarship. Could be wrong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom