First Day of full contact? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

First Day of full contact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It seems like every day we hear a player talking about Balis. Conditioning (or lack there of as we have seen) is a huge piece to the puzzle. Bigger,faster, STRONGER and deeper is my recipe for beating Villanova.

I think Diaco will have them spitting nails for the opener and I expect a different look than last years team.
Just made me think of that older Kanye West song.

Reaction Score
Lol - 'process and love'

That kid is drinking the kool aid!!
Who says the kids aren't buying? They're even speaking like their head coach. Love this. Tells me all minds are in it together and after the same goals.

Reaction Score
Can't wait to see Fatukasi stuff the run all year long
At his size with his athleticism, I think this kid is really going to be a beast. Still young, just a RS Soph I believe.

The other as stated above to keep an eye on is Carrezola. I think the staff really likes this kid and they think very highly of him. Got a lot of starting reps early on last year as a true freshman up until his injury. I would say, look for this kid to be a rising leader on this team potentially even a team captain his final two years. Just my opinion.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Who says the kids aren't buying in?

They're even speaking like their head coach

No one

That was the point.

So defensive every time I post something since disagreeing on Boyle.
:confused:

Reaction Score
TimothyGaffney 4:06pm via Twitter Web Client
@UConnFootball football practice notes: Newsome and the rock, Shirreffs and a stronger "O" line.
http://litchfieldcountysports.com/s...hirreffs-and-a-stronger-o-line-/#.Vcuw3flVhBd

>>The offensive line has been a bone of contention in UConn country the past few seasons but appears to be on the upswing, according to one of the signal callers.

“I’m extremely confident in the line this year,” Boyle said, “With Tommy Hopkins at left guard and with a new center in Brendan Vechery and the two returning tackle (Richard Levy at LT and Andreas Knappe at RT) and Samra (Tyler) back at right guard. I don’t think there is a better O line in the conference right now. They are meshing real well right.”<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lot of info stuffed into article:

desmondconner 3:51pm via Mobile We
Notebook: #UConnFootball's Walsh, Vann, Pushing To Make Each Other Better At LB
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...otball-open-practice-0813-20150812-story.html

This!
>>One of the traits Diaco constantly talks about is toughness. There were two examples on display Wednesday. One occurred when sophomore tight end Tommy Myers (6-5, 255) mixed it up with senior tackle Julian Campenni (6-0, 306). It was a good one, too."It's just football, we all love each other, it's good to mix up a little bit," Myers said. "I think we're trying to instill in the team, everybody being tough. It's not only mental toughness but physical toughness. I'd say as a team though we're a lot of tough guys. There's lots of tough guys out there that's why stuff like that happens."

Senior running back Max DeLorenzo has proved to be tough during his career and again after a long run around end Wednesday in which he toppled the defender in front of him with his forearm. Even the defense felt for their teammate.<<

Reaction Score
No one

That was the point.

So defensive every time I post something since disagreeing on Boyle.
:confused:
How can you say no one? I have seen the opposite in plenty of instances.

Not being defensive, just giving my opinion from comments and interviews. Just again clarifying even what I heard from the players at the end of last season. There was buy in. There was belief and this team has taken to their new leader. I said it last and I will say it again this year. Just because the results weren't there, doesnt mean the right mind set and buy in wasn't there. And that's all I will say on that matter.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna say this about Sherrifs...I got a good look at him at the season ticket holder bbq in June...physically I thought he was built like a LB. I actually made a comment to my wife what lb wore #4...she politely told me "that's the transfer qb from NC St". I also saw Boyle and he looked the same way...although not as muscular as Sherrifs. I'm interested to see how this plays out...and see if Boyle can make up the ground and pass him..or if Sherrifs has pretty much pulled away and won the job already.

Reaction Score
If Veschery plays in place of Crozier, that would be 4 guys on the OLine that are 6-6 or taller, Hope they can RS Hashemi. they would still average around 6-6 with Samra at 6-2, 306. Add another year with Balis and the guy replacing Samra will most certainly be taller...throw in a Bloom and Lee at TE that's going to be a freaking wall for 2016. Its going to be one now!

Reaction Score
If Veschery plays in place of Crozier, that would be 4 guys on the OLine that are 6-6 or taller, Hope they can RS Hashemi. they would still average around 6-6 with Samra at 6-2, 306. Add another year with Balis and the guy replacing Samra will most certainly be taller...throw in a Bloom and Lee at TE that's going to be a freaking wall for 2016. Its going to be one now!
I could see Crozier sliding over to replace Samra or whom ever is at center going to his spot next season (that takes into account that Crozier is 100% healthy and playing at the level he was at when he was hurt).

Reaction Score

With the starting 5 of Levy Knappe Vechery Hopkins and Samara...the line is on average 6'5.5ft 307 lbs

Sounds a lot like the Uconn lines of the past that accompanied plenty of 1200 yard rushers

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could see Crozier sliding over to replace Samra or whom ever is at center going to his spot next season (that takes into account that Crozier is 100% healthy and playing at the level he was at when he was hurt).
Being that he was hurt in spring ball, he should be fully healed, healthy and ready to go by game 1 2016. Redshirt this season, and should be ready to go.

Reaction Score

That's nice, but Duncan, you know that how fast they can move their feet matters most. Do we have fast feet or not? Will they be able to move them feet in the 4th Q?

Reaction Score
That's nice, but Duncan, you know that how fast they can move their feet matters most. Do we have fast feet or not? Will they be able to move them feet in the 4th Q?
Absolutely Carl,
No better example then Schafenacker. He came in more highly rated than most but hasn't seen time because of it. I believe Diaco said as much and had him spend last year trying to improve it. Somebody like Hopkins came in as an OT but was moved to OG because of it and his athleticism. The coach likes big, he is getting big. and with another season with Balis and for improving technique this could turn into an area of strength. Levy, to me, demonstrated some of that ability to carry it into the 4th quarter at the spring game. I know it was a scrimmage but he looked a lot better , fitness wise. You put that in front of a kid like Johnson or perhaps Marriner at 200+lbs and you are getting what Diaco is looking for. I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but you gotta admit the coach seems to be putting a plan in motion. Again we'll see...

Reaction Score
Absolutely Carl,
No better example then Schafenacker. He came in more highly rated than most but hasn't seen time because of it. I believe Diaco said as much and had him spend last year trying to improve it. Somebody like Hopkins came in as an OT but was moved to OG because of it and his athleticism. The coach likes big, he is getting big. and with another season with Balis and for improving technique this could turn into an area of strength. Levy, to me, demonstrated some of that ability to carry it into the 4th quarter at the spring game. I know it was a scrimmage but he looked a lot better , fitness wise. You put that in front of a kid like Johnson or perhaps Marriner at 200+lbs and you are getting what Diaco is looking for. I know I'm getting ahead of myself here but you gotta admit the coach seems to be putting a plan in motion. Again we'll see...

I've consistently written my opinion that Diaco strikes me as a very, very goal oriented and detail plan guy. He clearly has demonstrated the ability to lay out a plan, with stepwise goals and achieve those goals - and I'm thinking about recruiting right now. It's no doubt that he wanted a taller, bigger team than what he found coming in. That's great but we need speed too. Speed trumps size - most of the time. When you get to the stage like say - playing Oklahoma on New Year's Day - then you need both - size and speed.

I think that Coach Martin's health problems that he was keeping secret for a long time, may have had an unfortunate affect on our conditioning program in the past few years. Difficult subject to broach, but it's hard not to look at the timeline as to when our conditioning and strength as a team started declining, and when his energy levels and health had to have been going south too. Pasqualoni is an old style coach, hands off, management style. THe kind of guy that isn't going to be in the weight room watching, and just expect that it's getting done. Balis, if you listen to the players, isn't much different than Coach Martin had the players talking and feeling back about 6-8 years ago now - time flies.

Edsall was a micromanager, and it worked to the level we got to, and Diaco, I think is probably a type A micromanager too, but it is trying to break the shell and be more of a supervisor, you just need to be, if you're going to be able to get to the highest levels as a head coach. I recall a story about a certain play call in a big game of offense that came into the huddle, and one of our best winnign QB's in recent history, was pissed off about it, but ran the conservative call that went nowhere anyway. The OC wouldn't have called it - it came from Edsall. Pasqualoni on the other hand - gave the offense to the evil troll, that I'm ashamed also has a UCONN diploma, and trusted him. Who's way is better? Neither - success matters. That comes from preparation.

Anyway - it's good that season is getting close. I can't wait. I've written it before, and again now - everything that Diaco has done with this program I think has been great, except one part so far - game day preparation. That's a pretty big part though. I'm hopeful to see a much better performance on game day this year.

Reaction Score
I pray our D is stout at the very least... No overplaying in big 3rd down situations.. our LBers' eyes are in the right place.. Sure tackling... AND our DEs can get to the QB... IMO, that along, with an OL that doesn't miss half as many assignments as they did last year, we got something special brewing...

Reaction Score
The one thing about the D this year that I find extremely interesting is the talk about installation and getting into more of the package since the kids now have the base scheme down. If kids like Carrezola can generate a pass rush from the outside...it will cause issues with the stregth of our down lineman. I'm excited to see this team get on the field and play on Sept 3!!

Reaction Score
I pray our D is stout at the very least... No overplaying in big 3rd down situations.. our LBers' eyes are in the right place.. Sure tackling... AND our DEs can get to the QB... IMO, that along, with an OL that doesn't miss half as many assignments as they did last year, we got something special brewing...
yeah, I have a worry they will sucker Obi with that Villanova's Qb. Ah, well.

Reaction Score
Nice mention by Boyle of Vechery at C in one of those links above... Wasn't/Isn't this kid a preferred walk-on? If so, HUGE strides made by this kid... Happy for him...

Reaction Score
Strange for me that in discussion around this program, that I'm finding myself being on the side of the discussion I'm on, but after the past few seasons and what I witnessed last year, it's just hard to not balance my love for this game, and the excitement of a new season with some reality.

I'm sure our D will be improved, but I'll believe that we've got a pass rush, when I see it against a different offense than our own. Until then, the fact that media seems to be raving about a DE's ability to get into the backfield worries me about our OT's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom