Fire Hank Hughes | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Fire Hank Hughes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
...proving your point. I know. You should be done.

I expected that you were going to bring up the competition level, which is why I waited to drop another bomb on you: BC gave up 27 points and 427 yards of offense to Army......that's right, the same Army team that just got doubled-up by previously winless Temple. Yup. Army.

But you're right about one thing; let's be done with this argument, because I'm clearly not getting anywhere with you, even when using facts and figures...

....Army...:)

And how much would Army put up against your lover Hank? Hop off his that mother f!cker hasn't sh_t for UCONN

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
And how much would Army put up against your lover Hank? Hop off his that mother f!cker hasn't sh_t for UCONN

But do I have to? Do I really have to hop off his ? Say it ain't so!!! :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I've read several times how people believe Don Brown left UCONN because so many defensive guys were leaving for the NFL. So he leaves for a less talented program? He went to one with one of the WORST defenses in the country. BC was 100th in 2012 in total D, 120th in sacks and tfl's. Clearly UCONN has more talent than BC and Brown is doing more with less. BC is playing the 27th TOUGHEST schedule in the country compare to UCONN's 87th toughest schedule. Currently, BC is 58th in scoring D compared to UCONN which is 92nd. BC is 27th in sacks after being 120th A YEAR AGO & UCONN is now 119th. BC is 31st in tfl's after being 120 last year. UCONN is 100th. You can look at specific stats like total defense and try and make an argument but let's face it, Don Brown gets more out of less.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I've read several times how people believe Don Brown left UCONN because so many defensive guys were leaving for the NFL. So he leaves for a less talented program? He went to one with one of the WORST defenses in the country. BC was 100th in 2012 in total D, 120th in sacks and tfl's. Clearly UCONN has more talent than BC and Brown is doing more with less. BC is playing the 27th TOUGHEST schedule in the country compare to UCONN's 87th toughest schedule. Currently, BC is 58th in scoring D compared to UCONN which is 92nd. BC is 27th in sacks after being 120th A YEAR AGO & UCONN is now 119th. BC is 31st in tfl's after being 120 last year. UCONN is 100th. You can look at specific stats like total defense and try and make an argument but let's face it, Don Brown gets more out of less.

"You can look at specific stats...and try to make an argument," huh. Kinda like talking about sacks and tackles for a loss for a team that blitzes more. Duh. No kidding. That's self explanatory. How about the other stats?

Rush Defense:
UConn - 74
BC - 98
Pass Defense:
UConn - 31
BC - 68
Defensive Turnovers:
UConn - 37
BC - 75

You wanna keep telling me about cherry-picking numbers again? Look, I like Don Brown, and I also like Hank Hughes. They have two opposing styles that have been shown to be somewhat successful. They have also shown that they don't make in-game adjustments to their style to fit their opponents, and sometimes get burned by that. And there is no doubt that we have drastically improved our turnover margin from last year's defense because of the different style, even as good as last year's D was. It's a style thing. That's all...

Reaction Score

Any who thinks Don Brown would not have had success at UCONN this year because of the players we lost should read this.

Coaching Matters.

I'll add another stat, BC has three wins and their losses are to FSU, Clemson, and USC.

It's a little infuriating that Hank didn't learn a darn thing in the two years when Don was here. Moorhead was paying attention, he brought the attack style D to Fordham.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Any who thinks Don Brown would not have had success at UCONN this year because of the players we lost should read this.

Coaching Matters.

I'll add another stat, BC has three wins and their losses are to FSU, Clemson, and USC.

It's a little infuriating that Hank didn't learn a darn thing in the two years when Don was here. Moorhead was paying attention, he brought the attack style D to Fordham.

I've read it. I've responded to it.

I'll tell you what's infuriating. It's infuriating when a defense has Michigan dead in the water, and even helps out by scoring a touchdown for the offense, and the offense doesn't get it done. It's infuriating when the defense holds a conference opponent to 6 points....and we lose. It's infuriating when a defense turns the other team over 3 times and even scores a touchdown, only to watch our offense turn it over 3 times and fail to score more than 10 points again. It's infuriating that the other teams are dominating the time of possession and keeping our D on the field all damned day because we can't convert on 3rd down.

But most infuriating of all, the fact that we are bitching about the defensive coordinator when we have the #116th ranked offense in the country. Talk about losing the friggin' forest through the trees... :confused:

Reaction Score
I've read it. I've responded to it.

I'll tell you what's infuriating. It's infuriating when a defense has Michigan dead in the water, and even helps out by scoring a touchdown for the offense, and the offense doesn't get it done. It's infuriating when the defense holds a conference opponent to 6 points....and we lose. It's infuriating when a defense turns the other team over 3 times and even scores a touchdown, only to watch our offense turn it over 3 times and fail to score more than 10 points again. It's infuriating that the other teams are dominating the time of possession and keeping our D on the field all damned day because we can't convert on 3rd down.

But most infuriating of all, the fact that we are bitching about the defensive coordinator when we have the #116th ranked offense in the country. Talk about losing the friggin' forest through the trees... :confused:

Well answer this question, knowing that we blitzed 8 times last week and gave up a total of 10 yards when we blitzed (and were very close to an Adams sack that would have brought this to a negative number), would you blitz a little more this week? Maybe dial it up a few more times?

I wish we could find a coordinator who does a little of everything, Brown was too much of a one trick pony and so is Hughes, I can't understand why we can't play aggressive on one play and play soft zone the next and always be mixing it up for maximum confusion. We did it once vs South Carolina and it was very effective.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Well answer this question, knowing that we blitzed 8 times last week and gave up a total of 10 yards when we blitzed (and were very close to an Adams sack that would have brought this to a negative number), would you blitz a little more this week? Maybe dial it up a few more times?

I wish we could find a coordinator who does a little of everything, Brown was too much of a one trick pony and so is Hughes, I can't understand why we can't play aggressive on one play and play soft zone the next and always be mixing it up for maximum confusion. We did it once vs South Carolina and it was very effective.

I can answer your question with the following statement: It is curious that in your previous statement, you were hell-bent on defending Don Brown and letting us know how infuriated you are with Hughes, but in this statement, you question the approach of both.

I agree with THIS statement; both SHOULD be questioned. I've already gone on record on the BY as questioning the approach of Hughes during the Cincy game. If you drop 8 in coverage and rush 3, why were the CB's giving the damned receivers a 7 yard cushion? Made no sense. It "infuriated" me. But the idea that Brown was some sort of god and Hughes is some sort of dolt is ludicrous to me. They actually both suffer from the same disease; they are stuck in a style that they won't divert from. As good as Brown is, there's a reason he's not working in the SEC or Pac12...

Reaction Score
The defense we saw yesterday was horrible. This "bend but don't break" type of defense did nothing to show down Cincy. When something does not work during the game, you try something different. HH stayed with his same old vanilla style and guess what? Cincy ripped us apart the entire game.

Give me Don Brown defense any day of the week. It is time for HH to pack his bags and look for another gig. UCONN needs a fresh start ASAP.

I agree that HH has to be part of the house-cleaning. I think we have see this season through, however. W got rid of the 2 big zeros already, but I think we just have to suck it up now and survive "The [fall] of our discontent". HH is a "dead man walking", but IMO we can't do anything more dramatic until after the season.

Reaction Score
I can answer your question with the following statement: It is curious that in your previous statement, you were hell-bent on defending Don Brown and letting us know how infuriated you are with Hughes, but in this statement, you question the approach of both.

I agree with THIS statement; both SHOULD be questioned. I've already gone on record on the BY as questioning the approach of Hughes during the Cincy game. If you drop 8 in coverage and rush 3, why were the CB's giving the damned receivers a 7 yard cushion? Made no sense. It "infuriated" me. But the idea that Brown was some sort of god and Hughes is some sort of dolt is ludicrous to me. They actually both suffer from the same disease; they are stuck in a style that they won't divert from. As good as Brown is, there's a reason he's not working in the SEC or Pac12...

But then yet Brown's defense was 10th in the country and was exciting to see. Hank hasn't produced anything and his defense is boring as f!ck to watch.

That's what you got, there's a reason why he's not working in the SEC or Pac12? Wow!

I think he's questioning both because there's no point to argue with you, your praising a guy who has done nothing. Once Uconn hires a new coach Hank will be gone and there's a reason why he'll be let go! :D

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
But then yet Brown's defense was 10th in the country and was exciting to see. Hank hasn't produced anything and his defense is boring as f!ck to watch.

That's what you got, there's a reason why he's not working in the SEC or Pac12? Wow!

I think he's questioning both because there's no point to argue with you, your praising a guy who has done nothing. Once Uconn hires a new coach Hank will be gone and there's a reason why he'll be let go! :D

You're acting the clown, now. You know that, right? Do you REALLY need a reason why Brown had the #10 defense last year??? Because I can give you six of them. Four are playing on Sundays, the fifth is Ryan Wirth, and the sixth is Jory Johnson. Unreal!

And with that talent, we still made Carder and Nassib look like Marino and Montana. But in your world, Brown is Jesus, so whatever. No point in going on about it...

Addendum: I think it was Mel Kiper who made the comment last year in reference to the Huskies, "With these guys on defense, how on earth did they ever lose a game?" (paraphrased). One of the reasons is obviously a crappy offense, which is still crappy. The other reason is that we had a couple of "brain-fart" games on the other side of the ball, too...

Reaction Score
"You can look at specific stats...and try to make an argument," huh. Kinda like talking about sacks and tackles for a loss for a team that blitzes more. Duh. No kidding. That's self explanatory. How about the other stats?

Rush Defense:
UConn - 74
BC - 98
Pass Defense:
UConn - 31
BC - 68
Defensive Turnovers:
UConn - 37
BC - 75

You wanna keep telling me about cherry-picking numbers again? Look, I like Don Brown, and I also like Hank Hughes. They have two opposing styles that have been shown to be somewhat successful. They have also shown that they don't make in-game adjustments to their style to fit their opponents, and sometimes get burned by that. And there is no doubt that we have drastically improved our turnover margin from last year's defense because of the different style, even as good as last year's D was. It's a style thing. That's all...
I wouldn't call Don Brown a one trick pony. He certainly mixed it up the coverages with both man & zone. I believe he did make in game adjustments. One that sticks out in my mind in particular helped us in winning the Louisville game. He had Sio turn into a defensive end in obvious passing situations when we had too many injuries to the D line. We had lost Jennings & Joseph to season ending injuries & then Trevardo got hurt.

Also, I think it's odd that people don't think Brown's defense creates turnovers because of last years stats. Back in 2011 we were 10th in turnovers, but everyone seems to forget that. I think we can all recall a number of interceptions & pick 6's that were dropped that would have increased the stat last year.

Lastly, I used scoring defense as the stat to prove how good a defense is because that is a defenses #1 job...keep teams out of the ENDZONE!!!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call Don Brown a one trick pony. He certainly mixed it up the coverages with both man & zone. I believe he did make in game adjustments. One that sticks out in my mind in particular helped us in winning the Louisville game. He had Sio turn into a defensive end in obvious passing situations when we had too many injuries to the D line. We had lost Jennings & Joseph to season ending injuries & then Trevardo got hurt.

Also, I think it's odd that people don't think Brown's defense creates turnovers because of last years stats. Back in 2011 we were 10th in turnovers, but everyone seems to forget that. I think we can all recall a number of interceptions & pick 6's that were dropped that would have increased the stat last year.

Lastly, I used scoring defense as the stat to prove how good a defense is because that is a defenses #1 job...keep teams out of the ENDZONE!!!

1) Moving Sio Moore to DE was a way to continue to pressure. That's what I meant by his style. He doesn't want to only rush 4. He wants at least a fifth and a sixth man attacking.

2) Using scoring defense as the ONLY measurement suffers from the obvious flaw: it doesn't measure how much your defense is on the field or what the starting position on the field is. If you have a good offense that flips fields a lot (which ours doesn't), then you can give up a boat-load of yards and maybe only surrender 3 points. Or, you can start your defense out on your own 8 yard line (a.k.a., against Buffalo) and surrender 7.

3) I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that I don't like Don Brown. I've written it probably three or four times that I like him. And I don't mind his style. Having said that, I also like Hughes' style of bend-don't-break, play for the turnovers too. I like that style because I have seen it work for so many years under Edsall's tenure. It was one of the major reasons we almost NEVER lost to a team that was inferior to us when RE was at the helm. I understand that people might not like it, but the idea that Hughes needs to be fired now is patently ridiculous.

I can't say any more than that, guys. If I haven't made myself clear by now, I'm not sure that I can with future posts...

Reaction Score
You're acting the clown, now. You know that, right? Do you REALLY need a reason why Brown had the #10 defense last year??? Because I can give you six of them. Four are playing on Sundays, the fifth is Ryan Wirth, and the sixth is Jory Johnson. Unreal!

And with that talent, we still made Carder and Nassib look like Marino and Montana. But in your world, Brown is Jesus, so whatever. No point in going on about it...

Addendum: I think it was Mel Kiper who made the comment last year in reference to the Huskies, "With these guys on defense, how on earth did they ever lose a game?" (paraphrased). One of the reasons is obviously a crappy offense, which is still crappy. The other reason is that we had a couple of "brain-fart" games on the other side of the ball, too...

Clown? I'll take that if it makes you happy.

Nassib and Carder looked liked Marino and Montana all year against almost every team they played not just Uconn you idiot... Oh by the way Nassib and Carder are both playing on Sundays ;)

Those 6 players D. Brown helped produce... Smallwood is definitely not playing the same football as he did in Brown's defense... and Sio Moore's game elevated in D. Browns tenure, so what's your point? never mind I don't need an answer.

Mel Kiper was taking a shot at GDL's offense and PP's poor coaching not D. Browns Defense... Smh! give up bro!

Reaction Score
1) Moving Sio Moore to DE was a way to continue to pressure. That's what I meant by his style. He doesn't want to only rush 4. He wants at least a fifth and a sixth man attacking.

2) Using scoring defense as the ONLY measurement suffers from the obvious flaw: it doesn't measure how much your defense is on the field or what the starting position on the field is. If you have a good offense that flips fields a lot (which ours doesn't), then you can give up a boat-load of yards and maybe only surrender 3 points. Or, you can start your defense out on your own 8 yard line (a.k.a., against Buffalo) and surrender 7.

3) I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that I don't like Don Brown. I've written it probably three or four times that I like him. And I don't mind his style. Having said that, I also like Hughes' style of bend-don't-break, play for the turnovers too. I like that style because I have seen it work for so many years under Edsall's tenure. It was one of the major reasons we almost NEVER lost to a team that was inferior to us when RE was at the helm. I understand that people might not like it, but the idea that Hughes needs to be fired now is patently ridiculous.

I can't say any more than that, guys. If I haven't made myself clear by now, I'm not sure that I can with future posts...

It's not you liking Brown, it's you liking Hanks boring defense. How can you accept a garbage defense? he made Buffalo look like Ohio State; he made Towson look like Georgia; he made Cincinnati look like Oregon. If we accept mediocre then mediocre we will see on the field.

Most of Edsall's successful defense tenure was with Orlando not Hank and Orlando mixed it up more than Hank.

This shows how bad Hank is as a DC:

http://the-boneyard.com/threads/tjw-on-pass-rush.45881/

T.J. is calling out Hank indirectly on how we're not producing any pass rush and we should put Frank more on the line. If the OC is giving the DC some suggestion's on the defensive side then you know Hanks garbage.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Clown? I'll take that if it makes you happy.

Nassib and Carder looked liked Marino and Montana all year against almost every team they played not just Uconn you idiot... Oh by the way Nassib and Carder are both playing on Sundays ;)

Those 6 players D. Brown helped produce... Smallwood is definitely not playing the same football as he did in Brown's defense... and Sio Moore's game elevated in D. Browns tenure, so what's your point? never mind I don't need an answer.

Mel Kiper was taking a shot at GDL's offense and PP's poor coaching not D. Browns Defense... Smh! give up bro!

Yeah, I'm about to give up. But one more thing before I go. I'm the idiot? Western Michigan went 4-8 last year...bad enough to get their head coach Cubit fired. But I'M the idiot. Okay, "bro"...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Most of Edsall's successful defense tenure was with Orlando not Hank and Orlando mixed it up more than Hank.

Oh, I guess I can't give up just yet. I have to give you one final history lesson. Here is UConn's records with HH as the DC:

6-6
9-3
9-4 (win in the first ever bowl - Motor City Bowl)

Yeah, we were definitely not successful with Hank......okay, NOW I'm done...

Reaction Score
Oh, I guess I can't give up just yet. I have to give you one final history lesson. Here is UConn's records with HH as the DC:

6-6
9-3
9-4 (win in the first ever bowl - Motor City Bowl)

Yeah, we were definitely not successful with Hank......okay, NOW I'm done...

To be specific Brown's defense was 9th in the country

http://www.cfbstats.com/2012/leader/national/team/defense/split01/category10/sort01.html

And those 3 records you just posted we had, guess who? yeah you guessed it Dan. O just a little history for you bro! probably the best 3 season's offensively we had in the FBS.

Since the Motor City Bowl Uconns been having winning season's and top defenses w/o Hank as DC

If we had D. Brown, who again, had produced top tier defense here at Uconn with Danny O, we would of won Big East title's every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom