Fire Hank Hughes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fire Hank Hughes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ummm Hank is a D-Line coach, he's been a D-Line coach for years; they don't call plays the DC does.

The defense has been playing lousy "all year" what the hell are you talking about? with this conservative defense we even allowed Towson to pick this defense apart... Lol Don't let the USF game full you USF has struggled on offense all year, more so the passing game.

You mean D. Brown worked miracles under PP and GDL... he saved there job for an extra year, so WTF! Lol dude how long have you been watching football?

Sio, Trevardo, Reyes shined under D. Brown even Smallwood did, now, you barely even hear Smallwoods name being called thanks to Hank Hughes.

Before yesterday Smallwood was 3rd in the nation in tackles...they even said it on the broadcast...how long have YOU been watching football? Get some facts and come back and see me. Dummy

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Ummm Hank is a D-Line coach, he's been a D-Line coach for years; they don't call plays the DC does.

I just want to make sure that you were aware that Hughes was our DC from 2002-2004, right? I can't get stats for 2002, but in 2003 our defense was ranked 60th, and in 2004, it was ranked 41st in the nation. By the way, as a team in 2003, we created 40 sacks. Some good names in there, from Mulcahy, Osunde, Fuller to Fincher, Lloyd, and King. (The 2004 freshman class was ridiculously good, by the way, with players like Butler, Branch, Lansanah, etc.).

Look people, I'm one of the first ones to admit that the coverage was horrid yesterday (I said so in the thread I wrote), and that's something that Hughes has to answer for, especially when you are dropping 8 back into coverage. But this is his style of defense; bend-don't-break, and cause turnovers (and so far, it has caused those turnovers). The idea that the quality of the cornerbacks doesn't matter??? Are you guys ridiculous or what!

I loved Don Brown's defense, but let's be honest about one thing; if he doesn't have Blidi and Dwayne on the corners, he would have been gashed every week. His defense was predicated on leaving the CB's on an island and bringing a lot of pressure. If you think we have the corners to pull off the same type of defense now, I want you to pass the pipe...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Do any of you supporting HH as a VERY good DC remember his defenses under Edsall...before Edsall gave him the DeLeone promotion/demotion (better yet it should be DeLeone got tne HH promotion/demotion)? I sure do...it was the same terrible bs umbrella type soft zone 7-9 yd cushion schemes he runs now! Hank may be a good DL coach...but he SUCKS as a DC! It is all going to be a moot point though after the Memphis game because I can't see any of these guys staying...from TJ and HH all the way through the grad asst's and recruiting Asst. Dave Wilczewski (who by the way HFD was calling out as a HUGE problem in recruiting along with then recruiting coordinator Cersosimo). HH has enjoyed a GREAT run here...time for him to exit stage left!

The statistics don't support your argument. See my previous post. He may not be here next year due to the coaching changes, but he had some pretty good numbers as HC, especially with a fledgling D-1 school entering a major conference...

Reaction Score
The statistics don't support your argument. See my previous post. He may not be here next year due to the coaching changes, but he had some pretty good numbers as HC, especially with a fledgling D-1 school entering a major conference...
No but the fact Edsall promoted Orlando to DC and removed Hughes is VERY telling! Stats aren't everything...especially when your schemes give up 15 play 60+ yd game winning drives, drives where your db's aren't getting beat because they are in a zone scheme that puts them no where near the wr's.

Reaction Score
Before yesterday Smallwood was 3rd in the nation in tackles...they even said it on the broadcast...how long have YOU been watching football? Get some facts and come back and see me. Dummy

He's 6th in the nation in tackles... just TACKLES! How many tackles for loss he has this year? how many sacks he has this year?

Did you see smallwoods stats last year??? Dummy I know what the duck I'm talking about.

By the way wipe the side of your lips because your kissing Hank Hughes but cheeks to much... He's garbage. Fans like you don't mind an average coaching performance like Hughes, well not me. I want a guy like Pat Narduzzi on our side. His defense has been in the top 5 in every category... thats wtf I want.

Reaction Score
The problem with our defense yesterday, is that our entire defensive secondary was playing run first. If the safeties and CB's are actually playing pass first and identifying their coverage responsibilities and running with them off the snap, instead of watchign the backfield at the snap - it might be an entirely different game. Who's fault? IDK, and I don't care. It's fundamentals why this team is 0-6. Discipline in fundamentals.

Pasqualoni and his sidekick George, let the fundamental discipline on this team go to hell. I honestly don't know if the coaches we have right now, know how to fix it. You read Weist's quotes after the game yesteday, and he gets it. It takes all 11, on the field, on every play, doing every little thing right - the basic, little simple things right - but it's easier for me to write it, and him to say it, then to actually get them on the practice field, and get them to do it.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
No but the fact Edsall promoted Orlando to DC and removed Hughes is VERY telling! Stats aren't everything...especially when your schemes give up 15 play 60+ yd game winning drives, drives where your db's aren't getting beat because they are in a zone scheme that puts them no where near the wr's.

I know that Edsall put Orlando in the DC role. I don't know what went into that decision. When that happened, Hughes was made an "Assistant Head Coach". Was it a DeLeone moment? I'm not sure. One thing is for sure; we DIDN'T really change our style of defense under Orlando to some blitz-happy defense. In fact, it might shock you that in the year Orlando took over, our sack totals went from 27 down to 19. The year after that? 20. And again, these were defenses with names like Branch, Lansanah, and Butler.

Let's not make our history to be something that it wasn't. Edsall was famous for having defenses that were always "bend-don't-break", regardless of DC. I wonder if it isn't why Brown didn't stay at Maryland. But that type of defense creates turnovers. And with our corners right now, that's pretty much the only defense we can play. When Jhavon gets a couple years under his belt, he'll be a great one, but not yet...

Reaction Score
"Tackles" did you see smallwoods stats last year???

Ok your homework assignment is to work up a comparison of his stats from this year to last year....go!

Also love how you put tackles in quotations like it's an unimportant defensive statistic

Reaction Score
I know that Edsall put Orlando in the DC role. I don't know what went into that decision. When that happened, Hughes was made an "Assistant Head Coach". Was it a DeLeone moment? I'm not sure. One thing is for sure; we DIDN'T really change our style of defense under Orlando to some blitz-happy defense. In fact, it might shock you that in the year Orlando took over, our sack totals went from 27 down to 19. The year after that? 20. And again, these were defenses with names like Branch, Lansanah, and Butler.

Let's not make our history to be something that it wasn't. Edsall was famous for having defenses that were always "bend-don't-break", regardless of DC. I wonder if it isn't why Brown didn't stay at Maryland. But that type of defense creates turnovers. And with our corners right now, that's pretty much the only defense we can play. When Jhavon gets a couple years under his belt, he'll be a great one, but not yet...

exactly right......

Reaction Score
I just want to make sure that you were aware that Hughes was our DC from 2002-2004, right? I can't get stats for 2002, but in 2003 our defense was ranked 60th, and in 2004, it was ranked 41st in the nation. By the way, as a team in 2003, we created 40 sacks. Some good names in there, from Mulcahy, Osunde, Fuller to Fincher, Lloyd, and King. (The 2004 freshman class was ridiculously good, by the way, with players like Butler, Branch, Lansanah, etc.).

Look people, I'm one of the first ones to admit that the coverage was horrid yesterday (I said so in the thread I wrote), and that's something that Hughes has to answer for, especially when you are dropping 8 back into coverage. But this is his style of defense; bend-don't-break, and cause turnovers (and so far, it has caused those turnovers). The idea that the quality of the cornerbacks doesn't matter??? Are you guys ridiculous or what!

I loved Don Brown's defense, but let's be honest about one thing; if he doesn't have Blidi and Dwayne on the corners, he would have been gashed every week. His defense was predicated on leaving the CB's on an island and bringing a lot of pressure. If you think we have the corners to pull off the same type of defense now, I want you to pass the pipe...

So your okay with being ranked 60th and 41st?? D. Browns' defense was "10th" in the country and they weren't even his players.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So your okay with being ranked 60th and 41st?? D. Browns' defense was "10th" in the country and they weren't even his players.

Brown's defense was 10th in the country with two NFL corners to play lock-down on the WR's, and with two additional NFL defenders at LB and DE respectively. I didn't hear this friggin' outcry to fire Brown when we got obliterated against Cuse last year, did I? Or perhaps when we made Western Michigan's Carder look like Marino for the second year straight? Did anyone have an explanation for that, with 4 NFL upperclassmen on the D? No.

I will type this again, in case you didn't read it: "I loved Don Brown's defense, but let's be honest about one thing; if he doesn't have Blidi and Dwayne on the corners, he would have been gashed every week."

Reaction Score

I also remember being at aa bowl game in Birmingham Al where we played a Don Brown type scheme under TO and destroyed a South Carolina team coached by Steve Spurrier. Look we can argue this forever...using stats is fine..I will tell you what I see watching a game. I am NOT a HH fan as a DC...never have been never will be. As a dl coach he did a good job. As a recuiter...thought he did a good job. He is done here come Dec. There will be a new coach and a new D scheme...most likely on the same lines as DB ran.

Reaction Score

The defense has been playing lousy "all year" what the hell are you talking about? with this conservative defense we even allowed Towson to pick this defense apart... Lol Don't let the USF game full you USF has struggled on offense all year, more so the passing game.

You mean D. Brown worked miracles under PP and GDL... he saved there job for an extra year, so WTF! Lol dude how long have you been watching football?

Sio, Trevardo, Reyes shined under D. Brown even Smallwood did, now, you barely even hear Smallwoods name being called thanks to Hank Hughes.
Listen , Hank Hughes has worn many different hats during his many years at UCONN, but every one started had a "D" on it, and one also had Asst Head Coach. You want some names? Lutrus, Branch, Lloyd, Reyes, Lansannah, Butler, McClain, Fincher, Cody Brown, Gratz, and others. All I'm saying is I'd cut him some slack based on his excellent years of service to the program, especially now that the team and it's players might not be sure who their next coach or team, for that matter, will be.

Reaction Score
Brown's defense was 10th in the country with two NFL corners to play lock-down on the WR's, and with two additional NFL defenders at LB and DE respectively. I didn't hear this friggin' outcry to fire Brown when we got obliterated against Cuse last year, did I? Or perhaps when we made Western Michigan's Carder look like Marino for the second year straight? Did anyone have an explanation for that, with 4 NFL upperclassmen on the D? No.

I will type this again, in case you didn't read it: "I loved Don Brown's defense, but let's be honest about one thing; if he doesn't have Blidi and Dwayne on the corners, he would have been gashed every week."

Hank Hughes defense was 60th in the country and 41st with players like Butler, Fincher, Osunde... etc! So your point?

Did Blidi even play when we played against W. Michigan?

In addition, the offense was sooooo poorly coached by GDL that the defense was on the field waaaaaaaaay more than they should have, so the defense was exhausted which gave up big plays. Even though we gave up soooo much plays because the D was exhausted we were still 10th in the country. If we had D. Brown this year I can almost guarantee that this defense would be in the top 20-25 in the country.

I guess you like Hank and I like Brown, you like 60th and I like 10th, so let's just leave it at that. If you like Brown then why try to argue and make a point with me? Hank sucks point blank period

Reaction Score
Listen , Hank Hughes has worn many different hats during his many years at UCONN, but every one started had a "D" on it, and one also had Asst Head Coach. You want some names? Lutrus, Branch, Lloyd, Reyes, Lansannah, Butler, McClain, Fincher, Cody Brown, Gratz, and others.

Orlando's defense produced those players, Hank is a position coach not a DC. A D- Line coach at that.

Reaction Score
The defense we saw yesterday was horrible. This "bend but don't break" type of defense did nothing to show down Cincy. When something does not work during the game, you try something different. HH stayed with his same old vanilla style and guess what? Cincy ripped us apart the entire game.

Give me Don Brown defense any day of the week. It is time for HH to pack his bags and look for another gig. UCONN needs a fresh start ASAP.

Reaction Score
The defense we saw yesterday was horrible. This "bend but don't break" type of defense did nothing to show down Cincy. When something does not work during the game, you try something different. HH stayed with his same old vanilla style and guess what? Cincy ripped us apart the entire game.

Give me Don Brown defense any day of the week. It is time for HH to pack his bags and look for another gig. UCONN needs a fresh start ASAP.

They like the conservative plays that Hank calls which obviously doesn't work. Their excuse is because we don't have the DB's such as Blidi and Gratz like if they're Champ Bailey and Asunte Samuel. Gratz (3) and Blidi(1) only had 4 int. all of last year. With the DB's we have now D. brown would of had fun and produce a top 20-25 defense.

He left to play in a better conference (ACC), he had the opportunity to play in his home state (BC) where he's producing a top defense, and he was tired of PP and GDL, not because he didn't have gratz or blidi... Smh!

Reaction Score
Orlando's defense produced those players, Hank is a position coach not a DC. A D- Line coach at that.
Todd Orlando was good and when he left it was a huge loss, but even as DC he reported to Hughes. I can see why Edsall did that, Orlando was a great play caller, but wanted Hughes to watch over him. I guess he thought they worked better as a team. Always liked Orlando, even when he played at Wisconsin. People on this board know I've been a biased Wisconsin fan for years.

Reaction Score
Todd Orlando was good and when he left it was a huge loss, but even as DC he reported to Hughes. I can see why Edsall did that, Orlando was a great play caller, but wanted Hughes to watch over him. I guess he thought they worked better as a team. Always liked Orlando, even when he played at Wisconsin. People on this board know I've been a biased Wisconsin fan for years.

I guess they did work better as a team, but D. Brown was a big upgrade for sure

Reaction Score
From what I gathered from conversations between my friends and Lyndon Johnson (they played with Lyndon at UCONN) this assessment of Orlando's tenure as DC here is dead on!!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Hank Hughes defense was 60th in the country and 41st with players like Butler, Fincher, Osunde... etc! So your point?

Did Blidi even play when we played against W. Michigan?

In addition, the offense was sooooo poorly coached by GDL that the defense was on the field waaaaaaaaay more than they should have, so the defense was exhausted which gave up big plays. Even though we gave up soooo much plays because the D was exhausted we were still 10th in the country. If we had D. Brown this year I can almost guarantee that this defense would be in the top 20-25 in the country.

I guess you like Hank and I like Brown, you like 60th and I like 10th, so let's just leave it at that. If you like Brown then why try to argue and make a point with me? Hank sucks point blank period

It's clear you have trouble reading, so I'll write it a THIRD time for you: "I loved Don Brown's defense, but let's be honest about one thing; if he doesn't have Blidi and Dwayne on the corners, he would have been gashed every week." I know that it's hard for you to understand that I like them BOTH! And it's flattering that you believe that Don Brown could lose four players to the NFL, and could then generate a top25 defense. C'mon, man...let's get real here...

And another part that you seem to have a problem reading was when I wrote that Butler was a FRESHMAN in Hughes' last year as DC...

Reaction Score

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
D. Brown all day! BC played better competition than we did hus far. Those stats ain't to telling! But it is what it is I'm done proving my point.

...proving your point. I know. You should be done.

I expected that you were going to bring up the competition level, which is why I waited to drop another bomb on you: BC gave up 27 points and 427 yards of offense to Army......that's right, the same Army team that just got doubled-up by previously winless Temple. Yup. Army.

But you're right about one thing; let's be done with this argument, because I'm clearly not getting anywhere with you, even when using facts and figures...

....Army...:)

Reaction Score
Actually look at things this way guys...1 is a former DC at UCONN (Brown), the other is soon to be a former (he actually wins the prize for doung it 2x) DC at UCONN (Hughes)...LOL...trying to lighten up the discussion here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom