Fire Hank Hughes | The Boneyard

Fire Hank Hughes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think it's time we get rid of the other coach that is almost as bad as GDL, Hank Hughes. Guy's defense is never good. He might be ok as a position coach, but this is ridiculous

Reaction Score
I think it's time we get rid of the other coach that is almost as bad as GDL, Hank Hughes. Guy's defense is never good. He might be ok as a position coach, but this is ridiculous

Becareful some might argue its lack of talent. The way you help the D-Line to create push is to blitz, but that ain't happening with this guy

Reaction Score
Thought you quit as a fan already? You can't demand this after you quit.
I can still look at this logically and make suggestions. See when I say I'm not giving them anything else this season, to me that means I'm done being invested in this sh1tshow emotionally. I'll still watch if nothing else is on, or if I feel like drinking early. However, as for unconditional support...this team has to earn that back from me

Reaction Score
I can still look at this logically and make suggestions. See when I say I'm not giving them anything else this season, to me that means I'm done being invested in this sh1tshow emotionally. I'll still watch if nothing else is on, or if I feel like drinking early. However, as for unconditional support...this team has to earn that back from me
Dude. You're a train wreck. Step away from the keyboard

Reaction Score

I'll always support this team. Its okay to say we suck, were bad, etc. We are, but ima ride to die with this team program. I'm sure there are better games on right now, but I don't give a shot.

Reaction Score
Becareful some might argue its lack of talent. The way you help the D-Line to create push is to blitz, but that ain't happening with this guy
When they have blitzed this year they haven't gotten there. The only thing worse than not blitzing is blitzing and getting burned. I think Don Brown knew it was time to get out. He is like Bill Parcells was. He knows when to get in and when to get the hell out of dodge.

Reaction Score
I didn't expect us to be this ineffective rushing the passer from the DE spot. The thing that really drives me nuts is the DE's are not able to hold the edge against the run as well. Opponents hook them or wash them down whenever they want. It's killing us.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

How can you claim to be a fan and watch the game, only if nothing else is on, and not get emotionally invested in it? Just showing your true colors. Good to have you here....don't let the door hit ya on the way out.

Reaction Score
Unconditional, you keep using that word, I don't think that word means what you think it means

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
This program has not been an aggressive blitz team since forever.
Maybe Hughes sees we do not have the talent to do so.
Think he is wrong and thing he is history in about 6 -7 weeks

Reaction Score
We have no one that can rush the passer so we have to blitz there is no other option. If you don't you let the qb play like a 7on 7 game. I know we have some injuries in the LB corps but why aren't we running a 3-4. I can't recall running it at all this year have we? I would think vann and Smallwood in the middle while Stewart and Ashiru play the outsides and switch off as the edge rusher. If nothing else you might get a sack from confusing the oline a little because they don't know where the blitz is coming from. I'm not sure any DE on this team really has the speed to be an effective 4-3 pass rusher Thoughts?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Blitzing is catnip for fans, but generally sending the house is a bad defensive strategy. Most college teams depend on big plays to score because most college offenses are not capable of a lot of 10-12 play drives against good defenses. College coaches are not idiots. Drop back 6-7 and hope you can get pressure from the front 4 mixing in the occasional blitzer or two, if well disguised.

Better QB's eat blitzes for breakfast.

That said, when you have Gratz and Wreh Wilson at corner, you can pretty much play any defense you want and it will look good.

Reaction Score
Blitzing is catnip for fans, but generally sending the house is a bad defensive strategy. Most college teams depend on big plays to score because most college offenses are not capable of a lot of 10-12 play drives against good defenses. College coaches are not idiots. Drop back 6-7 and hope you can get pressure from the front 4 mixing in the occasional blitzer or two, if well disguised.

That said, when you have Gratz and Wreh Wilson at corner, you can pretty much play any defense you want and it will look good.

You can Blitz without sending the house, you can even fake a blitz and screw up your opponent. What you can't do is give your opponent all day to throw. Hughes has been blitzing some but it seems to only occur on third down which is something Cincy probably picked up on. Hughes also tends to send a late blitzer and they haven't been getting to the QB in time. Brown would just put everyone on the line and create havoc, really miss that.

Catnip for fans, does it come with a sack?

Reaction Score

Decent qbs tear apart defenses when given all day to throw. If you can't get pressure from just your dline you blitz or you lose. That's it.

But you are right good qbs eat blitzes for breakfast. That's why they never blitz in the nfl

Reaction Score
Do they need to blitz more and be aggressive? Hell, yeah. Other than that . . . . very little BCS caliber talent (turns out PP wasn't all that good of a recruiter) and little heart. This defense is . . . . soft. Poor pass defenders. Zero pass rush. Timid tackling. And slow.

Reaction Score
When they have blitzed this year they haven't gotten there. The only thing worse than not blitzing is blitzing and getting burned. I think Don Brown knew it was time to get out. He is like Bill Parcells was. He knows when to get in and when to get the hell out of dodge.

Devland, when they sent Andrew Adams to blitz did we get to Kay?? Yes, Kay is big and athletic enough to get that ball out of his hands, but if he didn't it would of been a 15-20 yard loss (sack). That goes to show that we CAN blitz, but again HH does not blitz because its not his way of calling the defense. Ashiru and Vann are fast, 4.6 speed fast enough to blitz, and Graham has 4.5-4.6 speed, so we can blitz. Blitzing once a game and giving the opposing offense all day to pass is killing us.

D. Brown left because he was done with PP and GDL just like we were. He wanted to play with a great, motivating coach like Steve Addazio at his home state. Had nothing to do with talent... smh! I know we don't have Alabama, Oregon talent, but we have enough to win this weak conference.

Reaction Score

If you have Gratz and Wilson at corner playing this style of defense wouldn't change anything. If Jones and Williams aren't as good as Wilson and Gratz was (yet) then why play conservative and give the opposing QB time to pick the defense apart?? You send studs like, Adams, Vann, Ashiru, Smallwood, Obi, and Graham to the QB to not allow him to be comfortable. When the QB isn't comfortable then that helps Jones and Williams at corner, heck it'll even help with the D-Line getting to the QB. I don't want to see Hank send the house, but at least 1 or 2 extra players in "almost" every down.

Reaction Score
The list of great defensive players that played under Hank Hughes is a long one. You don't fire someone because the defense played lousy in one game. IMHO the guy has worked miracles with what he had both under PP and FHCRE.

Reaction Score
The list of great defensive players that played under Hank Hughes is a long one. You don't fire someone because the defense played lousy in one game. IMHO the guy has worked miracles with what he had both under PP and FHCRE.

Ummm Hank is a D-Line coach, he's been a D-Line coach for years; they don't call plays the DC does.

The defense has been playing lousy "all year" what the hell are you talking about? with this conservative defense we even allowed Towson to pick this defense apart... Lol Don't let the USF game full you USF has struggled on offense all year, more so the passing game.

You mean D. Brown worked miracles under PP and GDL... he saved there job for an extra year, so WTF! Lol dude how long have you been watching football?

Sio, Trevardo, Reyes shined under D. Brown even Smallwood did, now, you barely even hear Smallwoods name being called thanks to Hank Hughes.

Reaction Score
The least of UCONN's problems is Hank Hughes and the defense in general. Poor game yesterday, but in general its been a good defense this season. This stuff is complete over-reaction. Just like the other extreme where folks regularly posted before the season that the defense would be as good or better than last season with as good or better LBs. How foolish was that given the talent that ended up leaving that squad to go early in the NFL draft?

Reaction Score
Do any of you supporting HH as a VERY good DC remember his defenses under Edsall...before Edsall gave him the DeLeone promotion/demotion (better yet it should be DeLeone got tne HH promotion/demotion)? I sure do...it was the same terrible bs umbrella type soft zone 7-9 yd cushion schemes he runs now! Hank may be a good DL coach...but he SUCKS as a DC! It is all going to be a moot point though after the Memphis game because I can't see any of these guys staying...from TJ and HH all the way through the grad asst's and recruiting Asst. Dave Wilczewski (who by the way HFD was calling out as a HUGE problem in recruiting along with then recruiting coordinator Cersosimo). HH has enjoyed a GREAT run here...time for him to exit stage left!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom