Fire Diaco, he's an idiot! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Fire Diaco, he's an idiot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We are going to find out if Diaco prefers winning or whether it's more important for him to stick to his guns.

Today was definitely a crossroads. He tried something new and it worked. But it was outside of his preferred "identity."

He replaced the smashmouth running game with west coastish, possession passing replacing the run. Will he stick with it. Or not. Is it a new philosophy or just a game plan plan for Cinny? If it is the latter, he still gets credit for game planning for a specific opponent. We haven't seen much of that.

I sure hope this is his new philosophy. I still have my doubts. I can't imagine he changed his ways overnight. His new approach merely give us hope he will.

I was watching Washington state hammering Stanford last night. I got to say that Leach offense is fun to watch. Of course, he got a QB that can make throws unlike BS. I truly think that kind of system can work at UConn if we get right kind of players.

Let's monitor Diaco in upcoming games. Will he stick with this new approach or will he go back to his RRPP approach with super conservative defense. USF is a tough test. We will be watching.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
He replaced the smashmouth running game with west coastish, possession passing replacing the run.

That's what I don't understand... Why he's so averse to getting playmakers the ball in space and letting them make plays. Then, if you really want to run later, the run will be there.

Reaction Score
That's what I don't understand... Why he's so averse to getting playmakers the ball in space and letting them make plays. Then, if you really want to run later, the run will be there.

I hope he is smart to know that if there is constant threat of passing deep from our offense, opponents wont be able to stack the line against us line previous five games. All suddenly, our OL looked better because of this. Our run game opened up, and there were actual holes for our RBs to run through.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thinks he had a talking to about his future here by his upper?
This was too way out of character to think otherwise.
The final confirmation of this to me was that first down throw into the end zone at the end, when 3 runs and a fg ices it. The most free wheeling of coaching staffs runs the ball there, never mind the Diaco we know.

No, I don't think anyone is interfering with Diaco's coaching. But, I have no specific knowledge one way or the other.

I don't see what was out of character. Maybe we went with a few more spread sets, but we ran the ball 41 times and passed 33 times. The big difference was the OL performed much better than at any point this season. Newsome ran well between the tackles - there was room. Pass protection was pretty good.

As for the end of the game, I think Diaco had his head squarely up his petute. Up by 8 at that point the most important things to accomplish were running off time and getting the 3 points to make it a two possession game. That pass call was foolish.

Folks probably think I'm a big Diaco supporter. I'm not. He's our coach so I support him and the program. He seems like a really decent guy and he has some real strengths and weaknesses as a coach.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
BD's off the hook this week. No points for them after half. We would have won by more with better passing. Guys were wide open and easy throws missed all day. Glad we had enough hookups for the win. And it was nice of coach to throw us a bone late by botching that last drive.

Reaction Score
Sheriffs was absolutely horrific through much of the first half. He was so bad that I thought we might see Anderson until he hit Beals with the TD pass.

I love the kids toughness, but he does not see the field well and he does not throw a good long ball. Thomas would easily have 3-4 more TDs this season were Sheriffs more accurate with his long throws - should have had two more against Houston alone.

That all said, there is little doubt in my mind that Sheriffs is our best option for this season.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I hope he is smart to know that if there is constant threat of passing deep from our offense, opponents wont be able to stack the line against us line previous five games. All suddenly, our OL looked better because of this. Our run game opened up, and there were actual holes for our RBs to run through.

Although I have watched football my whole life, I have never actually played a down of it. If I know what you're saying is true, I would think he knows what you're saying is true. Which means it is stubbornness and nothing more. He's been snapping out of the stubbornness the last three weeks or so but in two of those games, the game script required that. Here he had a game where he didn't need to do anything but the old run up the gut game plan he's always employed and he did something different.

Aww, the early stages of learning are so adorable.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Sheriffs was absolutely horrific through much of the first half. He was so bad that I thought we might see Anderson until he hit Beals with the TD pass.
I'll take this one step further: I'm convinced that the TD pass to Beals is the only thing that kept the staff from changing QB's at halftime.

Reaction Score
That or maybe Verducci isn't the idiot some of us (me) claimed he is, and Diaco is finally trusting him. It's hard to really tell.

This game plan has been building for the last three weeks... plays worked today that have failed over the last three+ weeks. There were really no "new wrinkles" from my eyes - just better execution (and maybe confidence to go back to previous plays that worked/failed in previous weeks by staff). Hopkins back helped the O-line keep a cleaner pocket. BS needs to continue to grow confident and sit in the pocket. He still tucks and runs when secondary targets are open (three times yesterday w/ TEs that I counted). Tough SOB though. It's better decision making across the board - not necessarily a change in philosophy.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Let's be clear. The Navy game was close because he is an idiot.

Fish in a barrel aside, we have arrived at the point where all of the Diaco-isms get put to the test. Is this regime ever going to be anything other than sub-mediocre.

There are 6 games remaining with only one game were a win would be moderately surprising. A 5-1 finish is out there for the taking. A 4-2 finish shouldn't be all that difficult. If they can't finish at least 3-3, it will be time to move on.

We are past cupboard is bare excuses. We are past learning to play together excuses. We are past cleaning up mistakes excuses. Execution will be the only measuring stick going forward. I've seen enough on both sides of the ball, to determine there is enough talent here and they can play when they put their minds to it.

Still waiting for special teams to contribute outside the kickers.

Lets be clear
I meant he was close to an idiot in the Navy game
To simply say that the Navy game was close would be a waste of everyone's time- we knew that
AND while I am not a HCBD fan, I wouldn't make the statement "because he is an idiot"
IMHO-way to harsh

I agree there's work to do

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
That or maybe Verducci isn't the idiot some of us (me) claimed he is, and Diaco is finally trusting him. It's hard to really tell.
I've never been too tough on Verducci. He's been a victim of personnel and Diaco's micromanagement. It was a throw away play in a throw away game but something that really stood out to me was the running play they designed for Thomas when he was being frustrated vs Houston. He broke off for I think 12 yards and his long TD pass followed shortly after I believe. Showed he was willing to get the best player the ball at all costs. It seemed to spark Thomas which could pay dividends for the rest of the season. I'm surprised the Giants aren't willing to do something similar for OBJ.

Reaction Score
This game plan has been building for the last three weeks... plays worked today that have failed over the last three+ weeks. There were really no "new wrinkles" from my eyes - just better execution (and maybe confidence to go back to previous plays that worked/failed in previous weeks by staff). Hopkins back helped the O-line keep a cleaner pocket. BS needs to continue to grow confident and sit in the pocket. He still tucks and runs when secondary targets are open (three times yesterday w/ TEs that I counted). Tough SOB though. It's better decision making across the board - not necessarily a change in philosophy.

Totally agree.

Reaction Score
That all said, there is little doubt in my mind that Sheriffs is our best option for this season.[/QUOTE]

How would anyone know? Haven't seen another QB very much in a game situation that was meaningful.

Reaction Score
That all said, there is little doubt in my mind that Sheriffs is our best option for this season.

How would anyone know? Haven't seen another QB very much in a game situation that was meaningful.[/QUOTE]
You make a valid point but no one on this site is listening.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Frankly, I'm kind of glad (and a little surprised) that he didn't show up in some kind of all-white Sergio Garcia looking outfit....
It's not November 1st yet, so.... look for the all whites next week in Tampa!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Another thought... Cincy fans calling for Tubberville to be fired. When UC hired Tubs I think many UConn fans were a little bit envious that they got someone with an SEC pedigree. Still feel that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom