Fire Diaco, he's an idiot! | The Boneyard

Fire Diaco, he's an idiot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
We need a new "Should we fire Diaco tonight?" thread like we had last week.

Reaction Score
This was the first game (#6) that they looked like a competent team in all phases for more than 2 quarters, but still not 4. If it took an uproar calling for his head to get the kind of adjustments we saw today, then job done. I was on the Diaco train for a long time (2 seasons, 4 games) and jumped off. Still a long way to go before jumping back on. I hope he kicks butt , but the jury is out. One game does not make a pattern of success.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
This was the first game (#6) that they looked like a competent team in all phases for more than 2 quarters, but still not 4. If it took an uproar calling for his head to get the kind of adjustments we saw today, then job done. I was on the Diaco train for a long time (2 seasons, 4 games) and jumped off. Still a long way to go before jumping back on. I hope he kicks butt , but the jury is out. One game does not make a pattern of success.
I hear you. I think Bob has other voices in his head now, persuading him to move from the "process" to a more aggressive style of play. The first quarter was old hat, but I was glad to see the shift. Let's hope this is the start of something new.

Reaction Score
Good one. Cincy blows, yes, glad they won and put up a huge, huge 20 spot, but be real, Cincy gave up 40+ to Houston & USF.

"IDIACO" is still being posted unironically by some.

Reaction Score
Look, watching UConn football in the first 5 games was physically and mentally painful. We seemed unable to execute a game plan and unwilling to adjust our approach during a game. Whatever criticism HCBD received was in large part earned.

But give credit where credit is deserved. Today UConn showed an entirely new wrinkle against Cincy. Moving Summers to safety was a bold move and the offensive and defensive line appeared more aggressive. I dare say I witnessed a blitz on numerous occasions and our D-line pressured Hayden Moore all night. Finally, for the first time all year , the UConn offense got the ball back with the lead and actually showed a desire to put the game away.

Today was an improvement beyond just a "W." HCBD deserves a "well done" this week.

Reaction Score
Let's just hope that today wasn't simply the "eye of the hurricane" and we should get ready for the backside of the storm and more dumb Bobby-Boy. But for today . . . not bad.

Reaction Score

I am with you there. This is just one game. I seriously can't believe what I was watching. He actually opened it up and let the defense blitz number of times. BS made questionable decisions here and there but at least he was given the opportunity to perform.

We all want Diaco to succeed. Hopefully, this new Diaco won't go back to RRPP pattern on offense while rushing 3 and drop 8 in a zone on opponent's third and long. If we want to win, we have to take it. We can't leave it to prayers that the other team will hand us a freebie on a turnover.

Reaction Score
Let's just hope that today wasn't simply the "eye of the hurricane" and we should get ready for the backside of the storm and more dumb Bobby-Boy. But for today . . . not bad.
It really seems as if they are finally listening to critics. Time shall tell. Arrogance doesn't work.

Reaction Score
I am with you there. This is just one game. I seriously can't believe what I was watching. He actually opened it up and let the defense blitz number of times. BS made questionable decisions here and there but at least he was given the opportunity to perform.

We all want Diaco to succeed. Hopefully, this new Diaco won't go back to RRPP pattern on offense while rushing 3 and drop 8 in a zone on opponent's third and long. If we want to win, we have to take it. We can't leave it to prayers that the other team will hand us a freebie on a turnover.

I think the coaches have finally decided that an "identity" is not as important as the game plan. Teams and coaches that can tailor their game plan to beat their opponents at their weak points is what makes a program. It's not about having "your" system. It's about having a system that is varied enough where you can tailor you offense and defense to stop your opponents strengths. I think in games 1-4 we had a coaching staff that wanted to pull a Nick Saban and just play the game like they were better than their opponent. Against Houston on offense we saw a team that took shots at our opponents weakness instead of trying to play to our perceived strengths. We saw this with the open receivers running down the sidelines and down between the hashes. Today, we saw something similar. It seemed like the plays had a purpose and weren't being run just because they were our "base" plays or our "identity" plays. Verducci and Bob let Shirreffs run wild in the passing game and while it wasn't always positive, it did give us some big breaks and ultimately led to the W.

If we can keep attacking our opponents weaknesses instead of trying to play into the HCBD philosophy, I think we're in good shape.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
this is kind of where I'm at. It took them most of 5 games to make a sceptic out of me; I'm not running back after two good quarters. The hope meter did move back to the right a little bit today though.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
One game does not make him a genius nor does it make him an idiot (Navy game was close)
It was a HUGE win today - no doubt
Lots of work left
I hate to be a downer BUT the secondary got lucky today on several plays

Let's be clear. The Navy game was close because he is an idiot.

Fish in a barrel aside, we have arrived at the point where all of the Diaco-isms get put to the test. Is this regime ever going to be anything other than sub-mediocre.

There are 6 games remaining with only one game were a win would be moderately surprising. A 5-1 finish is out there for the taking. A 4-2 finish shouldn't be all that difficult. If they can't finish at least 3-3, it will be time to move on.

We are past cupboard is bare excuses. We are past learning to play together excuses. We are past cleaning up mistakes excuses. Execution will be the only measuring stick going forward. I've seen enough on both sides of the ball, to determine there is enough talent here and they can play when they put their minds to it.

Still waiting for special teams to contribute outside the kickers.

Reaction Score
We are going to find out if Diaco prefers winning or whether it's more important for him to stick to his guns.

Today was definitely a crossroads. He tried something new and it worked. But it was outside of his preferred "identity."

He replaced the smashmouth running game with west coastish, possession passing replacing the run. Will he stick with it. Or not. Is it a new philosophy or just a game plan plan for Cinny? If it is the latter, he still gets credit for game planning for a specific opponent. We haven't seen much of that.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thinks he had a talking to about his future here by his upper?
This was too way out of character to think otherwise.
The final confirmation of this to me was that first down throw into the end zone at the end, when 3 runs and a fg ices it. The most free wheeling of coaching staffs runs the ball there, never mind the Diaco we know.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one that thinks he had a talking to about his future here by his upper?
This was too way out of character to think otherwise.
The final confirmation of this to me was that first down throw into the end zone at the end, when 3 runs and a fg ices it. The most free wheeling of coaching staffs runs the ball there, never mind the Diaco we know.

That or maybe Verducci isn't the idiot some of us (me) claimed he is, and Diaco is finally trusting him. It's hard to really tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom