Finally we can run off some upperclassmen | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Finally we can run off some upperclassmen

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Running off guys has always been HCRE’s thing. Like to see him bring some guys in.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
is he even on anymore? Since his boy O’Reilly got jettisoned off FNC, have not seen him

Reaction Score
Back to topic @ hand please before another complaint about the “P” word comes in...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If Harris stays committed and comes next season, how many years will he have here?

I'm not saying he isn't committed, just made that statement because I never count a kid on our team until they sign their NLI.

Reaction Score
If Harris stays committed and comes next season, how many years will he have here?

I'm not saying he isn't committed, just made that statement because I never count a kid on our team until they sign their NLI.

Has played two years @ Lackawanna so should be two years of eligibility left and he may be a December grad so he might be an early enrollee.

Reaction Score
We have a big need at tailback imo. Need depth and a thumper. Seems like every G5 has better tailbacks than UConn when I watch games

Reaction Score
We have a big need at tailback imo. Need depth and a thumper. Seems like every G5 has better tailbacks than UConn when I watch games
Boy is that true. Every team seems to have a couple of guys that 1st tacklers bounce off (not just UConn tacklers!).

Reaction Score
Who wouldn't want to play for this guy?

Fail. You don't have to "push out" a fifth year senior like you would a sophomore because the understanding is not that when you sign on you automatically get five years. Pushing someone out before 4 years is a totally different thing. Especially if you have your degree at the end of 4 years.

Reaction Score
There isn’t any rule that requires to renew anyone from year to year is there?

No. As a matter of NCAA rules. But the norms, which are important, is that when you sign on as a frosh you should have four years at the institution if you're showing up and keeping your nose clean.

Reaction Score
Well, at least Pindell, Sterling, etc., are examples that show Edsall will go the JUCO / experienced route if he can. He had Courtel Jenkins ready to transfer from Miami until Houston swept him up, so he's certainly looking at all avenues...
Not sure if this has been posted. Just found out Courtel Jenkins is gone from Houston. Glad we didn't get that train wreck.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Fail. You don't have to "push out" a fifth year senior like you would a sophomore because the understanding is not that when you sign on you automatically get five years. Pushing someone out before 4 years is a totally different thing. Especially if you have your degree at the end of 4 years.
Tell that to any kids who redshirted their first or second year. My problem with Randy is he is willing to dump kids who have been loyal to the school and program, but weren't recruited by him.

Reaction Score
Two way street now-a-days: NCAA version of a “Silent Auction” ;)

... and no, it’s not accessible to fans!

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I see Mike Z started following a certain sophomore TE at Florida State this week who is from the Boston area. Wonder if that is a free agent/(ie transfer) name from the new portal.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not sure if this has been posted. Just found out Courtel Jenkins is gone from Houston. Glad we didn't get that train wreck.

He's playing in the CFL right now for the Edmonton Eskimos. If he came to UConn, he may not necessarily have been a train wreck. What we do know is that he is a professional-quality player that Edsall identified from another institution as a possible transfer, which was the point of the example to begin with...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He's playing in the CFL right now for the Edmonton Eskimos. If he came to UConn, he may not necessarily have been a train wreck. What we do know is that he is a professional-quality player that Edsall identified from another institution as a possible transfer, which was the point of the example to begin with...

Yep. And I have said this before, where I get pissed about this season is the fact that Edsall with all his years of watching freshman come in and knowing the kinds of kids we have access too (kids that need more years in the weight room), that he did not more aggressively pursue JUCOs, transfers and grad kids to bridge this rebuild. So you dont get Jenkins, then find another mature body. In the end he landed Pindell, Sterling, Eli Thomas, Buss and Fines. All five play meaningful minutes. However, we needed probably six more of those upperclassman coming in this fall which didn't happen. Where the lack of a bridge hurts us even more is now in 2019 Edsall has to dance around our woeful defensive performance on the recruiting trail. A bridge of JUCOs and transfers would probably have only add us a single additional win vs our current performance, but much more importantly, we would have been more competitive in those losses.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Yep. And I have said this before, where I get pissed about this season is the fact that Edsall with all his years of watching freshman come in and knowing the kinds of kids we have access too (kids that need more years in the weight room), that he did not more aggressively pursue JUCOs, transfers and grad kids to bridge this rebuild. So you dont get Jenkins, then find another mature body. In the end he landed Pindell, Sterling, Eli Thomas, Buss and Fines. All five play meaningful minutes. However, we needed probably six more of those upperclassman coming in this fall which didn't happen. Where the lack of a bridge hurts us even more is now in 2019 Edsall has to dance around our woeful defensive performance on the recruiting trail. A bridge of JUCOs and transfers would probably have only add us a single additional win vs our current performance, but much more importantly, we would have been more competitive in those losses.

This is largely an unfair criticism of Edsall, especially when considering that you point out 5 players that he was able to secure. If you think it's easy to get a bunch of good quality transfer / JUCO players to come to a team that has had 1 winning season in the last 7, then I've got some land to sell you in the Everglades.

The fact that he was able to secure someone of the quality of Pindell is the only thing keeping this team marginally competitive. We're forced to primarily play the "long game" with athletic young prospects and hope for a great 2020 season...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is largely an unfair criticism of Edsall, especially when considering that you point out 5 players that he was able to secure. If you think it's easy to get a bunch of good quality transfer / JUCO players to come to a team that has had 1 winning season in the last 7, then I've got some land to sell you in the Everglades.

The fact that he was able to secure someone of the quality of Pindell is the only thing keeping this team marginally competitive. We're forced to primarily play the "long game" with athletic young prospects and hope for a great 2020 season...

Life isnt fair. Edsall should have done more. 5 wasn't enough, he could have found 5 more. From everything I could see in his recruiting, we did not hit the JUCO circuit very hard at all. He should have entered this fall with at least another DL body and Corner.

I'm not talking about 5 Fatusaki's, I'm talking about finding 5 more middle of the road bodies to take the reps and lessen the sting of these losses. These freshman should be doing weight room activities this fall instead of getting run over every Saturday.

So you can't sell the program to JUCO's, then how do you sell it to high school seniors? Now the current crop of 2019 kids has miles of tape watching the 2018 class get exposed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tell that to any kids who redshirted their first or second year. My problem with Randy is he is willing to dump kids who have been loyal to the school and program, but weren't recruited by him.

Agree. It will catch up with him and, I expect, sooner rather than later. Also interesting to see the comments made to the press, first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom