Finally we can run off some upperclassmen | The Boneyard

Finally we can run off some upperclassmen

Reaction Score
Other comments from Press Conference:
Gavin Keefe @GavinKeefe 2 minutes ago
Edsall said don't assume it is going to be a small recruiting class just because only a handful of seniors on roster. "I'm going to do what I have to do to get this thing right as quickly as I possibly can doing it the right way with the right people."

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 1 minute ago
Edsall on number of recruits he'll bring in for 2019: "Don't assume it's going to be a small class."

Neill Ostrout @NeillOstrout 15 seconds ago
Edsall says "5th years aren't guaranteed.... I'm going to do what I have to do to get this thing going quickly."

Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault 1 minute ago
Edsall giving some glimpse into what might happen regarding recruiting and current roster. "Nobody is guaranteed a fifth year. We'll graduate our guys and then there are decisions you have to make as a head coach."

Alex Putterman @AlexPutterman
Randy Edsall said he will turn away players with eligibility remaining if he thinks their scholarships will be better used on freshmen recruits. "Remember, nobody's guaranteed a fifth year. Nobody."

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

And so with that, here are the redshirt juniors below. I think we have to have a min class size of 20 this year. 20 broken down as: 9 graduating seniors + 4 currently unfilled scholarships + 5 redshirt juniors that do not return for their final year of eligibility (5 is a guess!) + 3 underclassman leave early (there are always 2 or 3).

Senior day should be telling when we play Temple in late Nov.

Current Redshirt Juniors:
1) Brandon Bisack (RS)
2) Donevin O'Reilly (RS)
3) Zordan Holman (RS)
4) Tyler Davis (RS)
5) Bryan Cespedes (RS)
6) Ian Campbell (RS)
7) Matt Peart (RS)
8) Philippe Okounam (RS)
9) Kevin Murphy (RS)
10) Connor Freeborn (RS)
11) Eli Thomas (RS)
12) Marshé Terry (RS)
13) Michael Tarbutt (K) (RS)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And so with that, here are the redshirt juniors below. I think we have to have a min class size of 20 this year. 20 broken down as: 9 graduating seniors + 4 currently unfilled scholarships + 5 redshirt juniors that do not return for their final year of eligibility (5 is a guess!) + 3 underclassman leave early (there are always 2 or 3).

Senior day should be telling when we play Temple in late Nov.

Current Redshirt Juniors:
1) Brandon Bisack (RS)
2) Donevin O'Reilly (RS)
3) Zordan Holman (RS)
4) Tyler Davis (RS)
5) Bryan Cespedes (RS)
6) Ian Campbell (RS)
7) Matt Peart (RS)
8) Philippe Okounam (RS)
9) Kevin Murphy (RS)
10) Connor Freeborn (RS)
11) Eli Thomas (RS)
12) Marshé Terry (RS)
13) Michael Tarbutt (K) (RS)

Fines is too isn’t he? He already graduated from one school...

I know we aren’t allowed to speculate but the max class size is 25 right?

A few of them are obvious and I’m sure will be mutual.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well, I guess this announcement is ironically timed, since the Hartford Courant just recently ran an article stating that we have the smallest recruiting class in the AAC currently. It's hard to push folks out without any folks coming in... :confused:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Fines came in here with two years of eligibility as a grad school student. I don't think Edsall would run him off when he is on the two deep (this week) while several other names from the 13 above are not.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fines came in here with two years of eligibility as a grad school student. I don't think Edsall would run him off when he is on the two deep (this week) while several other names from the 13 above are not.

Right just he would be in the group. He’s not running off Peart either for example.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Right just he would be in the group. He’s not running off Peart either for example.
But would he be in the group? He's already a grad student. I honestly dont know the answer. I would think he is protected as the rule should be intended to protect kids to matriculate either undergrad or grad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
But would he be in the group? He's already a grad student. I honestly dont know the answer. I would think he is protected as the rule should be intended to protect kids to matriculate either undergrad or grad.

There isn’t any rule that requires to renew anyone from year to year is there?

Reaction Score
There have been a few cases of grads with 2 years of eligibility being immediately-eligible transfers after the first year

Reaction Score
Well, I guess this announcement is ironically timed, since the Hartford Courant just recently ran an article stating that we have the smallest recruiting class in the AAC currently. It's hard to push folks out without any folks coming in... :confused:
That’s why it’s ‘lol’.

If anything - Diaco proved that finding bodies is easy... the quality piece is the hard part of the equation.

I would say that Edsall has historically found talent - it may just not show in the "recruit site" rankings. Would have to think his bodies > Diaco's bodies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
There isn’t any rule that requires to renew anyone from year to year is there?
Not yet I thought the P5 was moving towards guaranteed scholarships rather than paying players.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not yet I thought the P5 was moving towards guaranteed scholarships rather than paying players.

Some have moved to 4 year scholarships but Fines wouldn’t get that anyway no matter where he transferred.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind this as much if we were replacing them with JUCOs that are ready to play. But with all of randys talk about doing it the "right way" I don't see it happening

I'd like a minimum of four JUCOs: two LBs (counting Harris as one of the two), either a corner or safety and one TE.

1. LB is obviously a major point of weakness. One JUCO LB is not enough. Harris gets hurt and we are righ back to the current situation. Plus Eli Thomas is now hurt and Sterling graduates.
  2. Secondary needs help. Take a JUCO at either safety or corner. The current group of freshman wont really be ready until their Junior year.
  3. At TE McClean graduates. I dont want to put too much pressure on Rose to fill void alone. We have already seen that true freshman in the trenches is not ideal - hence the need to go the JUCO route for TE.
Of course I would take more, but to me this is the mandatory minimum.

If I took a fifth JUCO it would be at DL to replace Atkins. Frankly we could use another grad transfer as well for DL. So with those two, I'm at 6 new upperclassmen; 5 on defense, 1 on offense.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'd like a minimum of four JUCOs: a TE, two LBs (counting Harris as one of the two) and either a corner or safety.

Atkins graduates this year. At a minimum we need a JUCO body to step into his role.
LB is obviously a major point of weakness as well. One JUCO LB is not enough. Harris gets hurt and we are right back to the current situation. Plus Eli Smith is now hurt and Sterling graduates.
Secondary needs help. Take a JUCO at either safety or Corner. The current group of freshman wont really be ready util their Junior year.

Of course I would take more, but to me this is the mandatory minimum.
The only position I wouldn't take a JUCO at is WR and punter. We need all the help we can get.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

I know we aren’t allowed to speculate but the max class size is 25 right?

A few of them are obvious and I’m sure will be mutual.
you can sign more than 25. We could backdate kids if they enroll early (in Jan) to the 2018 class too.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind this as much if we were replacing them with JUCOs that are ready to play. But with all of randys talk about doing it the "right way" I don't see it happening

Well, at least Pindell, Sterling, etc., are examples that show Edsall will go the JUCO / experienced route if he can. He had Courtel Jenkins ready to transfer from Miami until Houston swept him up, so he's certainly looking at all avenues...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom