Finally, New Presser Content. Ice Brady | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Finally, New Presser Content. Ice Brady

Reaction Score
I don’t think Ice has the engine to be Morrow or Boston but it wouldn’t surprise me if she were better than ONO offensively. Geno loves that big that can shoot from the foul line. It’s a game changer.
I like that big, too.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hmm

Interesting that you had skepticism about Paige before her first game. I had zero concerns. News had already 'leaked' out how well she looks in practice and Geno's quote " She does not act that she is better than any one else (our Kardashian) with all the social media and stuff. Don't get me wrong, She knows she is good, very very good and her team mates love to play with her. If they are open, she passes the ball and they score and if she is open, just give it to her and she scores (with a full faced smile / smirk) And then the "I knew she was good but she is better than I expected"

I do not think that language was used before by Geno on anyone. before.

Regarding your main point that it only takes 1-2 games to see if a freshman player will fit in and be an important player as newbies, Paige is not a realistic example of that principle. More down to earth examples are needed

That was definitely true for Aaliyah (and Azzi when healed) but it took longer for Caroline and Mir seemed at the beginning had the stuff (at least to me) but never got on track (or out of the dog husky house)

But I have a good feeling about our newbies and we will not need to throw any back,
I was skeptical because I had only seen highlight videos of Paige up to that point. I wanted to see Paige play against other players on another team. I wanted to see her against D1 level competition where the opposing players were older, bigger, stronger and faster than she was.

I was fully aware of the achievements, awards and accolades she received in high school and AAU competition. I’m from Missouri. Given the level of hype, she came in on, I had to see for myself. Once I did, I was convinced she was the real deal. ;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I don’t think Ice has the engine to be Morrow or Boston but it wouldn’t surprise me if she were better than ONO offensively. Geno loves that big that can shoot from the foul line. It’s a game changer.
I'll give you Boston (nobody else in the nation can stick with her), but I think Ice will be able to stick with Morrow. Maybe not immediately, but by the second game this year or first next.

Just my opinion, not Geno's own truth.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'll give you Boston (nobody else in the nation can stick with her), but I think Ice will be able to stick with Morrow. Maybe not immediately, but by the second game this year or first next.

Brady ran the floor really hard in USA Basketball in transition There is at least some motor in her already and it will only purr louder as she gets in UConn shape

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Boston didn't have the "engine" until this past year. Until this past year she had conditioning problems. She was still great but her hard work really brought her up a couple of notches this year. Ice may have a conditioning curve too. Well see.

Reaction Score

Ice will be better than Morrow. Skill set is better. Jumper, high post game etc etc…. You shall see. Ice has the potential to be a UConn great! She is built for this.

Reaction Score
I think Ice will develop into an interesting mix of Tuck and Collier.
Solid take. That would be one heck of a combo and definitely one combo we would love to have for the team. I think once Ice gets use to the pace and physical level of play at the college level, she is going to be special.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Why are you skeptical of Patterson who has dominated at every level she has competed in?
Because I haven’t seen her play against Division 1 level talent yet. I take into account that most of players she played with and against ARE NOT Division 1 level talent. I want/need to see what she can do playing against players as talented as she is, and in most cases older that she is. It doesn’t take real cream long to rise to the top. We all have high expectations of our incoming freshmen.

Because there is a huge difference between high school and elite-level college basketball, unless I see them in person or on TV in a game(s), I have a wait-and-see attitude. There are posters here whose opinions and player assessment skills I respect and trust. If they say one of our incoming freshmen is can’t miss, I take that as gospel. Otherwise I want to see what a player can do in a game or two.

I’ve only seen one player in the class os 2023 in person (twice). There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that she will be a very good to great player in college. She’s the number 2 ranked player in the class. Judea “Juju” Watkins. Still uncommitted, she has offers from many of the top-ranked programs in the country. She will help whatever program she goes to. She does everything. Shoot, pass, rebound, and plays defense. She is her team’s floor general. She was without a doubt the best player on the floor those two games.

Reaction Score
I’ve only seen one player in the class os 2023 in person (twice). There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that she will be a very good to great player in college. She’s the number 2 ranked player in the class. Judea “Juju” Watkins. Still uncommitted, she has offers from many of the top-ranked programs in the country. She will help whatever program she goes to. She does everything. Shoot, pass, rebound, and plays defense. She is her team’s floor general. She was without a doubt the best player on the floor those two games.
I’ve seen the video of her game against LJCDS (Breya Cunningham and Jada Williams) last year. A close game decided in the final seconds. Watkins basically carried her team to the win on both ends of the court. Undoubtedly a Div 1 talent. I think she’s 6’1 or 6’2” but plays much larger.

Reaction Score
On a related note, I’ve mentioned before a game Ice played against LJCDS. They are a major HS team with at least two div 1 prospects. Lots of athletes. Ice’s team, CCHS, is really only Ice and a scrappy group of skinny little kids — one girl at 6’0”, the rest 5’9” or smaller, including sisters who look to be 5’4” at the outside. They’ve got some good shooters. But they are much smaller than the teams they play against. It really just Ice and some little kids. In other words, she’s used to getting double and triple teamed. She’s used to getting ALL the rebounds.

Carnac

Reaction Score
On a related note, I’ve mentioned before a game Ice played against LJCDS. They are a major HS team with at least two div 1 prospects. Lots of athletes. Ice’s team, CCHS, is really only Ice and a scrappy group of skinny little kids — one girl at 6’0”, the rest 5’9” or smaller, including sisters who look to be 5’4” at the outside. They’ve got some good shooters. But they are much smaller than the teams they play against. It really just Ice and some little kids. In other words, she’s used to getting double and triple teamed. She’s used to getting ALL the rebounds.
Some players have "can't miss" written all over them. Ice is one of those players. I'm not concerned if she will "get it", she will and soon. There is no doubt in my mind that Ice Brady is the real deal.

Like former NY Giants head coach Jim Fassel, when he guaranteed his Giants were going to the playoffs, I'm betting on on Ice Brady. I'm shoving ALL MY CHIPS to the center of the table. I'm ALL IN on her. I'm very comfortable in doing so. Betting on Ice is not gambling or speculation, it's an investment. ;) One of the best coaches pronouncements of all times. It's right up there with Denny Green's "They were who we thought they were".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LJCDS is a smaller school than the one Ice went to but it is a very exclusive private school ( both are private but LJCDS is dripping in private money). I'm sure lots of their athletes have full rides.

Reaction Score
LJCDS is a smaller school than the one Ice went to but it is a very exclusive private school ( both are private but LJCDS is dripping in private money). I'm sure lots of their athletes have full rides.
I wasn’t talking about the size of the schools but of the players. It’s clear that, like many other prep schools, LJCDS recruits for their sports teams and invests heavily in them. I don’t think CCHS does either one, though I could be misinformed on this.

Reaction Score
Brady ran the floor really hard in USA Basketball in transition There is at least some motor in her already and it will only purr louder as she gets in UConn shape

If she can go hard for 20 min/gm that will be great. Freshmen posts tend to be in foul trouble a lot anyway. :)

KCD

Reaction Score
I agree, Brady typically beat everyone down the floor and had great post position with her defender on her back waiting for the ball. I was impressed with her defense also. She was hedging like it was second nature. And during one game, they were playing her and del Rosario together and she was switching 1-4 without an issue (not necessarily the same level of competition as D1, but no slouche's either). She showed quick hands and quick feet.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Why are you skeptical of Patterson who has dominated at every level she has competed in?
The same reason I was skeptical of Paige!! Remember, I’m from Missouri. Show me!! Show you can do the things at THIS level that you did in high school. Until I see her unpack her bags and have success against D1 opponents, I’m not convienced.

Reaction Score
The same reason I was skeptical of Paige!! Remember, I’m from Missouri. Show me!! Show you can do the things at THIS level that you did in high school. Until I see her unpack her bags and have success against D1 opponents, I’m not convienced.
Yeah, Paige has set the bar for UCONN freshmen ridiculously high.
I would be thrilled to see Ice, who seems to have all the tools to be something special, take a few games to get her feet wet and learn the difference between the right way, the wrong way, and Geno’s way.
Then, depending on how the first line is meshing and performing, start to establish herself as a force in NC games.
A lot will depend on how well Aubrey has mended physically and if she can shake off the inevitable rust.
The line for “6th Woman” may form behind Aubrey.

Reaction Score
I have some of the wait and see burden of proof with regards to Ayanna, but mostly regarding her ability to score down low. I consider good rebounding and defense to be traits I am already convinced about, but based on the clips I have seen, it appears to me that when Ayanna scores around the basket it is usually a jump-shot where she rises above both smaller and less athletic defenders. She hasn't really developed much variety or moves partly because she hasn't had to. She just overpowers players inside.

At this level that might work to a certain extent, but against some top C's those shots will be rejected. Ayanna will probably have a better vertical than almost everyone she plays against, but will spot some bigs several inches, and she will need to shield the ball away from her defender better, and develop more moves. Her ability to score on the block of course will be tested regularly going against our own bigs in practice, so we will probably know her potential there pretty soon.

With Ice it is quite different. She has a very smooth variety of low post moves and has demonstrated a perimeter shot more than Ayanna so far. For her I am confident that she will find ways to be an effective scorer, but I'm not sure if she will be elite at rebounding or shot-blocking, although I think she will be pretty good. I haven't seen enough of her for a good opinion, but she looks like she has pretty good horizontal mobility and is very smooth, but is only mediocre on her vertical.

Could be wrong on both players, but both have traits I am confident will be very good, and a couple of wait and see question marks, that are quite different for both players IMO. Their floor is pretty high based on their known strengths, and if the question marks are answered affirmatively, the ceilings could be very high.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I agree, Brady typically beat everyone down the floor and had great post position with her defender on her back waiting for the ball. I was impressed with her defense also. She was hedging like it was second nature. And during one game, they were playing her and del Rosario together and she was switching 1-4 without an issue (not necessarily the same level of competition as D1, but no slouche's either). She showed quick hands and quick feet.

I’ll state the obvious — this was BEFORE Jamelle and CD began training her. The arrow is only pointing in one direction now, and that’s up.

Reactions: KCD
Reaction Score

That's a legit POV. But then I remember that both Bueckers and Fudd played 2 years above their age so they have already faced and dominated many of the top players already enrolled in college before they even got there. Bueckers won the world U19 championship MOP with college-level teammates
Fran Belibi
Aliyah Boston
Queen Egbo
Naz Hilmon
Rhyne Howard
Ashley Joens

It was an historically impressive lineup. I left Celeste Taylor and Caitlan Clark off since they were in Bueckers' class. And remember, Fudd won the NHSPOY that year as a sophomore and then tore her ACL or she would also have been on that team.

Generally in the past I've been a wait and see fan with freshmen but for the last 2 years UConn freshmen have come in and played significant roles right through the NCAA's, when Geno's bench always gets short. It seems that HS players are learning college level skills at an earlier age, and now, in the NIL age, elite training in HS seems to be more common. Maybe the women are catching up to the men, where freshmen commonly start and star.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom