finalists for the 2023 Ann Meyers Drysdale Award No Lopez Senechal | The Boneyard

finalists for the 2023 Ann Meyers Drysdale Award No Lopez Senechal

Reaction Score
"To be considered for this prestigious award, candidates must exhibit the tenacity and scoring prowess of Class of 1993 Hall of Famer Ann Meyers."

No Caitlin Clark?

Reaction Score
"To be considered for this prestigious award, candidates must exhibit the tenacity and scoring prowess of Class of 1993 Hall of Famer Ann Meyers."

No Caitlin Clark?
She's a PG that shoots A LOT.

Reaction Score
Bogus. I understand the list: someone from a mid-major, a freshman, a couple of stars, and someone from the national #1. It checks all the right boxes. But it fails to consider that Lou meant everything to our season, and Van Lith (as good as she is) did not help Louisville much this year. I'd say Lou should also be above Cooke just in terms of pure skills, but Zia was a vital part of SC's success.

Keishana Washington - Drexel

Ta’Niya Latson - Florida State

Hailey Van Lith - Louisville

Diamond Miller - Maryland

Zia Cooke - South Carolina

Reaction Score
She's a PG that shoots A LOT.
Clark shoots 18 times a game, which is not that many if you're making nearly half of them. By comparison, Lou's percentage from the floor has dipped below Caitlin's.

Reaction Score
Bogus. I understand the list: someone from a mid-major, a freshman, a couple of stars, and someone from the national #1. It checks all the right boxes. But it fails to consider that Lou meant everything to our season, and Van Lith (as good as she is) did not help Louisville much this year. I'd say Lou should also be above Cooke just in terms of pure skills, but Zia was a vital part of SC's success.

Keishana Washington - Drexel

Ta’Niya Latson - Florida State

Hailey Van Lith - Louisville

Diamond Miller - Maryland

Zia Cooke - South Carolina
Agreed, Bone Dog, I'd have Lou ahead of Zia and definitely Van Lith, but unfortunately those who select don't consider the serendipitous value Lou has brought the Huskies during a season in which she's been absolutely crucial. Her 15.8 average isn't as high as others.

I haven't seen Keishana Washington play, but would be curious to...

Reaction Score
She probably came to UCONN to be part of a winning team and program. Her hope might be to win a NC which is still in front of her and that is a ring not too many kids who come from Fairfield have a shot at. She has been a very important part of the UCONN success this year and will continue to be important through out the NCAA Tournament. Get that ring and all else pales.

Reaction Score
Clark shoots 18 times a game, which is not that many if you're making nearly half of them. By comparison, Lou's percentage from the floor has dipped below Caitlin's.
Caitlin is listed as a PG. This is for shooting guards. This isn't a Caitlin vs Lou thing. 46.4 vs 46,9.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed, Bone Dog, I'd have Lou ahead of Zia and definitely Van Lith, but unfortunately those who select don't consider the serendipitous value Lou has brought the Huskies during a season in which she's been absolutely crucial. Her 15.8 average isn't as high as others.

I haven't seen Keishana Washington play, but would be curious to...
Washington can play and is an insane scorer. Remember seeing her in HS in the OSBA before she left for Drexel. Unfortunately with Drexel being part of the CAA, most of their games are available via FloHoops. :(

Has represented Canada in the past but hasn't been on their radar for a while, which is perplexing. Hopefully she'll get a chance to compete at GloblJam or attend a national team training camp in the future. She's a really tough kid who could help out at the guard position.

JBK

Reaction Score
Love your basketball wisdom, but it is hard to criticize Clark. She is one of the best women players - I have ever seen and grew up playing in parks with Nancy Lieberman
If we think Lou gets beat up, imagine what Clark must go through and her body holds up.

Reaction Score
Lopez-Senechal was hurt by the same slump that affected the whole team in February. I was pleasantly surprised to see that that slump didn't cost Edwards a spot on the McClain list. As good as Lou's numbers were in January, they just aren't now.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I personally think these position awards are kind of silly. They lost credibility by giving Owusu/McDonald the award when both were clearly point guards.

Reaction Score
Let this be fuel. Lou is so consistent, but she also thrives in the tough matchups and on the biggest stages.

March is when great players become household names. She absolutely deserved to be on this list but I have no doubt she’ll give everyone something to talk about tonight and in the big dance. Keep counting her out, she’ll just keep proving all the doubters wrong!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Here are some numbers for comparison

K. Washington - 34.8 mpg / 43% FG / 32% 3pt / 84% FT / 783 pts / 27 ppg
T. Latson - 29.5 mpg / 46% FG / 36% 3pt / 86% FT / 659 pts / 21.3 ppg
H. Van Lith - 36.9 mpg / 41% FG / 29% 3pt / 88% FT / 634 pts / 19.2 ppg
D. Miller - 28.4 mpg / 48% FG / 21% 3pt / 80% FT / 578 pts / 19.9 ppg
Z Cooke - 26.0 mpg / 41% FG / 36% 3pt / 80% FT / 489 pts / 15.3 ppg
L. Senechal - 31.9 mpg / 46% FG / 43% 3pt / 86% FT / 520 pts / 15.8 ppg

Reaction Score
Lopez-Senechal was hurt by the same slump that affected the whole team in February. I was pleasantly surprised to see that that slump didn't cost Edwards a spot on the McClain list. As good as Lou's numbers were in January, they just aren't now.
SO...this is a February Award?

Reaction Score
SO...this is a February Award?
Of course not, but her performance in February dragged down her season numbers considerably, from the lofty heights where she was the best shooting guard in the country, shooting 50/50/90+. I'm not remotely suggesting that she can't bounce back and have a great NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Of course not, but her performance in February dragged down her season numbers considerably, from the lofty heights where she was the best shooting guard in the country, shooting 50/50/90+. I'm not remotely suggesting that she can't bounce back and have a great NCAA tournament.
And her numbers are still better than people on this list. Having said that...numbers don't tell it all. Boston is an AA no matter what her numbers say. I expect people who put up more shot attempts to score more points...if they're halfway decent. If we went strictly by numbers...there's a good chance none of these players make a top 5 list.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If you're just gonna go by shooting %, then Brynna Maxwell from Gonzaga should win this award. Leading the nation at 50% from 3. Her numbers of 48/50/95 blow everybody out of the water.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom