Final Kasongo Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Final Kasongo Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They are morons. Unless dad is moving.
If he stays in Canada we still had him covered. Yukon!!!

Reaction Score
It's actually not hard. The high school coach can threaten to hold back transcripts or make the process hard to get them, especially at a "school" like the one he is at where it is run by the coach and his people. Could theoretically make sure the kid takes the wrong courses so he won't qualify. Not saying that it happened but that is an example of how a coach could pressure a kid. Could also make sure his visa gets voided. If Kasongo took some benefit he shouldn't because of not knowing the rules, could threaten to expose him. Lots of things that could be done.

Forgot to quot

Well, he could skip out of this semester and continue the same online courses he's taking now. The enroll in a real school for next semester, take a few summer classes. He has a few options. The other problem is that he's really raw and needs to be playing bball to develop.

Reaction Score
image.jpg

Reaction Score
It's actually not hard. The high school coach can threaten to hold back transcripts or make the process hard to get them, especially at a "school" like the one he is at where it is run by the coach and his people. Could theoretically make sure the kid takes the wrong courses so he won't qualify. Not saying that it happened but that is an example of how a coach could pressure a kid. Could also make sure his visa gets voided. If Kasongo took some benefit he shouldn't because of not knowing the rules, could threaten to expose him. Lots of things that could be done.

Forgot to quot

This is 110% true. Not to mention the money aspect and certain people who are on certain payrolls and... Never mind.

caw

Reaction Score
Well, he could skip out of this semester and continue the same online courses he's taking now. The enroll in a real school for next semester, take a few summer classes. He has a few options. The other problem is that he's really raw and needs to be playing bball to develop.

Was just giving examples, but I agree.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Just wanted to share: Ray got back to me on Facebook. He confirmed that if it was up to him, he would be at UConn. It was completely his coach's decision. I really feel for him; he sounded sad and sincere. I don't want to copy and paste his exact response to keep his privacy at least a little, but that's the gist of it.
Very sad if true. His handlers wasted Ollie's time. Why even say UConn made the final two, if they had no fair shot at landing him? I wouldn't offer another kid associated with that toxic group again.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere, though not certain of the location now, that his handlers, have a method they employ when their players are selecting a college. They tell the kids that they shouldn't necessarily go to the best college that has offered them nor to the one that is their favorite place, because it may not be the best choice for them. The implication is that they, their players coaches, can better determine which is the best collegiate situation for their kids. This could include reasons such as player development, playing time, coach/player relationship, among other factors. So it would seem that they essentially are telling the kids to listen to them, because they know the situation better than the kids. In essence, something like "yeah, we hear ya about your choice, but since we know what's better for you, this is what your choice should be!"

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
If he stays in Canada we still had him covered. Yukon!!!

I was 8 years old when my dad first took me to Storrs. There was no interstate, and the long drive seemed to end at a snow banked parking lot. I thought it really was Yukon, and my dad and his friends had a laugh and explained the difference.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I read somewhere, though not certain of the location now, that his handlers, have a method they employ when their players are selecting a college. They tell the kids that they shouldn't necessarily go to the best college that has offered them nor to the one that is their favorite place, because it may not be the best choice for them. The implication is that they, their players coaches, can better determine which is the best collegiate situation for their kids. This could include reasons such as player development, playing time, coach/player relationship, among other factors. So it would seem that they essentially are telling the kids to listen to them, because they know the situation better than the kids. In essence, something like "yeah, we hear ya about your choice, but since we know what's better for you, this is what your choice should be!"
Sounds like the WWW theory. Funnel to certain schools & coaches.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I may have been wrong about closer to home
No, I am sure those dimwits think that the Kasongos live in Arizona.

C

Chief00

Probably anyone in that AAU program could have a dime dropped on them to end their eligibility. While frustrating Ray is probably more a victim than anything else.

Reaction Score
New Rule for the Boneyard (and society as a whole) :

DO NOT SEND FACEBOOK MESSAGES TO HIGH SCHOOL BOYS.

YOU ARE CREEPY AND GIVE HUMANITY A BAD NAME. Seriously, step back and think about it for a minute, you are sending unrequested facebook messages to minors on Facebook. Kids that you do not know. If there is a list for sex offenders, there should also be a registry for creepy internet message board people.

Reaction Score

YOU ARE CREEPY AND GIVE HUMANITY A BAD NAME. Seriously, step back and think about it for a minute, you are sending unrequested facebook messages to minors on Facebook. Kids that you do not know. If there is a list for s e x offenders, there should also be a registry for creepy internet message board people.
I'm not condoning social media contact with recruits but you're being ridiculous.

Reaction Score

YOU ARE CREEPY AND GIVE HUMANITY A BAD NAME. Seriously, step back and think about it for a minute, you are sending unrequested facebook messages to minors on Facebook. Kids that you do not know. If there is a list for s e x offenders, there should also be a registry for creepy internet message board people.

While I agree with the spirit of what you posted, who appointed you as the Boneyard rule maker?

Reaction Score

For the record, d i c k, I'm the same age as him, as I've alluded to a few time in my posts (freshman at Storrs, he's an 18 yr old senior), and I sent an initial message after news first leaked he'd committed to Oregon last Wednesday. All I waned to know at that point was what Oregon did that that we didn't to secure his commitment, because at that point I wanted him bad for this team (still kinda do). Just tried to sound gracious and congratulatory. And he responded, he definitely had the right to blatantly ignore me, and he didn't. No way would I have done that if I was the average age of ppl on this board.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This is what's wrong with recruiting. To many hands involved in these kids lives. The NCAA sits by and does nothing but fake classes are okay.

Reaction Score
This is what's wrong with recruiting. To many hands involved in these kids lives. The NCAA sits by and does nothing but fake classes are okay.

Well, they are OK at some schools.:)

Reaction Score
I've attempted to post a few times in this thread but I keep on deleting them before I hit reply. The fact is I just don't know what really are the facts here.

I'm not sure I have the following in the correct sequence:

All I know for sure is that it was reported that Ray was favoring UConn, even after his Oregon visit. I think there were some reports that said that there were some influences that were trying to sway him to Oregon. I think early on it was allegedly coming from some of the once Grassroots recruits that had parted ways with Russell, the Grassroots Canada AAU founder and head of some sort of private high school (or prep-school) in NC, believe.

On Friday night, 3uconn posted that Ray himself told him that he would be deciding that night and 3uconn appeared to know more and thought that Ray would be picking UConn. 3uconn posted in response to how he found out that Ray would be deciding that night, Yes he told me that through a DM on twitter. And he also told me some other stuff! :)

Just hours after there was a report that had Ray stating that UConn was still his favorite, WEB articles began to pop up reporting that he committed to Oregon. But later that night Ray himself tweeted that he was still undecided, followed by reports the next day that he withdrew his commitment (seems each article worded it differently). Whatever the case might have been, we know that Ray claimed he is still undecided and to this point it seems he remains that way.

I can't remember if it was the next day or the day after that...Ray changed his Twitter account to private.

Then there have been multiple reports at different times that UConn was no longer recruiting him.

3uconn posted at one point, I'm telling you guys this right now, I just talked with Kasongo and he said he talked to coach 10 minutes ago and the reports of UConn not recruiting him anymore are completely FALSE.

But more than one person has posted that they heard from good sources that UConn did pull out.

I think there were a couple of posts that passed on a couple of Ray's tweets stating that the decision seemed to be out of his hands. I think that 2nd of them is as follows: @RayKasongo32: I really wish that this would be up to me and not everyone else ..

I find it hard to tell if that means:

Ray wanted UConn but Russell is coercing him and his family toward Oregon

Ray wanted UConn, but UConn decided to no longer recruit him and go in another direction.

Ray wants UConn, but according to someone on one of the Oregon fan sites his Dad wants Oregon due to proximity to his home. But unless his dad has moved to Vancouver or one of the western Canadian cities, CT is a h*ll of a lot closer to where he lives (Toronto) than Oregon, so I find this one hard to believe.

I probably got some of the above out of sequence and missed a few twists and turns. If I were to take a stab at what really happened, I'm inclined to believe the following:

Ray favored UConn all along and still does.

UConn was willing to take Ray even after they got Lubin's verbal.

Russell was and is strong arming Ray and his family.

Concerned about Russell's influence and Ray's academic situation, UConn decided the risks outweighed the reward and did in fact move on at some point. They got the type of big they wanted in Lubin, and have decided to keep the remaining ships for a different set of recruits.

I realize some are angry with this whole mess, while some apathetic. I'm a bit saddened by it. It just seems Ray is the victim in all this and is going to miss a great opportunity to attend the school he wanted most and be part of a program that IMO had the best chance of developing him as a basketball player and a person. Add to that, if he does turn out to be a very talented player, we the fans are robbed of an opportunity to see him develop and play for UConn. I liked the idea of either both he an Lubin on the floor at the same time, or at least be able to bring in one bruiser after another, with little drop off in post play throughout the 40 minutes.

This has turned out to be the most bizarre recruiting sage I've ever seen, one which we will likely never know what really happened.

Reaction Score
This is much more likely than a coach/handler trying to shaft a kid.

Reaction Score

I agree with you that the NCAA could do more. Like more stringent qualification criteria. But that would mean on missing out on kids who can ONLY attend fake classes.

It all works together. Without the handlers and the fake high schools, you can't get kids to qualify. And if kids don't qualify, you can't send them onto fake classes at universities. If the NCAA could somehow find a systematic way to pervert the SAT, they'd do it.

Reaction Score
Would love to see him score over a hundred in a game and decommit/commit.

Reaction Score
This is much more likely than a coach/handler trying to shaft a kid.

My only issue is that if this is in fact the case, it should still be the kid's decision. They may be strongly advising him in a certain direction, but if they really are in the kid's corner, they should still be letting him make the decision and supporting whatever that decision is. From Ray's twitter comments, it seems like it is hardly his choice at all, which is very sad.

The other thing is...why do his handlers think Oregon is such a better place for him then UConn? I don't know much about their current roster, but we aren't exactly loaded at the 4/5, so playing time would be there if he earns it. And UConn is superior in every other aspect as it pertains to his development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom