Final Four Tonight | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Final Four Tonight

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In a vacuum, sure. But tell that to guys like Rip who rode 2 pt jumpers to the Hall (yes, I know it was a diff time). Point is, for certain players, it's a good shot.

Overall your point holds of course. Carry on.

Kemba still takes them. But at that level, those guys shoot like 80% on uncontested short jumpers and the NBA line is further. I’m curious to see what happens with the game of college basketball . The 3 point shot should really be worth less. That’s the problem. It’s too easy at the college level. Probably need to move the line to the NBA distance.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wright has never had anything close to this amount of talent in the past.

He developed these kids though. His recruiting classes are rarely ever above 25th in the country.

Reaction Score
I don't think that's true. Jay Wright has been on a normal (HOF) career trajectory. He won his first title at 54; JC was 57 for his.

Jay had some success a decade ago, but went through a lull after. He just started recruiting the wrong guys....thought he had to get the Top 20 guys from there on out (like Ollie). It didn't work. They weren't right for him and his system and vice versa. He started recruiting his guys, getting much lower ranked recruiting classes, and started winning again.

I never said he was a bad coach. I just said that the Nova program was not on UConn, Syracuse or Cincy's level

Reaction Score
He developed these kids though. His recruiting classes are rarely ever above 25th in the country.
I know that but Brunson, Bridges, and Spellman are all basically better than anything he's ever had.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I never said he was a bad coach. I just said that the Nova program was not on UConn, Syracuse or Cincy's level

Not at the time, no. But what I was trying to say was that Jay Wright was getting them there. It just takes time for the maturation of a coach and a program. He's finally seeing the fruits of his efforts. I suspect it would have happened if the OBE stayed together as well. Just getting better and better.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't think that's true. Jay Wright has been on a normal (HOF) career trajectory. He won his first title at 54; JC was 57 for his.

Jay had some success a decade ago, but went through a lull after. He just started recruiting the wrong guys....thought he had to get the Top 20 guys from there on out (like Ollie). It didn't work. They weren't right for him and his system and vice versa. He started recruiting his guys, getting much lower ranked recruiting classes, and started winning again.

He’s smart. He saw an opportunity. He’s taken what Steve Kerr runs at GS and realized that that system is even more effective at the college level due to the shorter 3 point shot. If you recruit the right guys. So he built a team around it. He has one of the greatest offensive teams ever as a result.

Stevens is doing the same in Boston. Look at the roster they should have had. Horford, Hayward, Tatum, Brown, Irving. Whole starting 5 who can hit 3s. Plus most of the bench.

Reaction Score
Not at the time, no. But what I was trying to say was that Jay Wright was getting them there. It just takes time for the maturation of a coach and a program. He's finally seeing the fruits of his efforts. I suspect it would have happened if the OBE stayed together as well. Just getting better and better.

We'll never know. I think that Nova benefitted tremendously with Cuse, Cincy and UConn not in the BE, but I agree with your point that Wright methodically built a great program.

He'll win a few more NCAA titles before he's done

Reaction Score
The only thing Wright has to think about now is when to start subbing his starters, this one's over.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
They're like a team full of 3-and-D guys, plus a stud point guard. Basically, our best 2014 lineup, but bigger.

See my earlier post, been saying it all along. They’re impossible to stop.

Reaction Score
Huh, you would think older guys would appreciate the shooting. I'm 46 and love the level of shot making that you see from the good teams.

The impression I have is that anyone who grew up before the 3-point era hates how basketball has evolved, with emphasis on finding open 3-point shooters. They pine for players with a mid-range game, ignoring the fact that mid-range jumpers are the least efficient shot in the game.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Replace cincy with Louisville.

The old Louisville teams are one of the few that could stop this. Foul early and often. Draw blood if possible. The only defense for a team that shoots like this. Rattle their teeth and their shots will follow.

Reaction Score
This team is so ridiculously good. A hall of fame coach in his prime coaching the best point guard/player in the country with a Bazz mentality, an emerging dominant beast down low, a top 10 pick at wing, an entire team that can handle and pass, and an entire team of lights out shooters.

Reaction Score

I don't think Cincy is that bad. They had some good teams in the OBE

Reaction Score
I’m curious to see what happens with the game of college basketball . The 3 point shot should really be worth less. That’s the problem. It’s too easy at the college level. Probably need to move the line to the NBA distance.

I think this will happen.

Didn't the NIT experiment with using the international 3-point line (between college and NBA)?

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Nova has some sick hoodies and gear as well.

For as much as I used to hate them, once they left our conference and got way better, I like them too much now for a old foe.

Reaction Score
Didn't know TBS has the title game too. No CBS at all for the FF - that's a first in this era.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom