Final Four Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Final Four Thread

Reaction Score
Using a 42 year old, 6'8", 245 lbs ex-player to help Bama prep for Clingan? Seems about right.

Cant See Ken Jeong GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Reaction Score
not that we didn't already know this ourselves, but words from an anonymous BE coach in today's The Athletic article scouting the Final Four. I wonder if Seth Davis still thinks Kalkbrenner is a better Clingan:

You spend so much time on how to stop them, but the truth is, it’s incredibly hard to score on them because of what Clingan can do at the rim. Clingan is just a monster defensively. He’s the best defensive player in the country. It was a joke that Kalbrenner was Big East defensive player of the year . It’s not even close in our league. Clingan is just so big, and he can move his feet and he can make multiple plays. You can’t score at the rim because even when you’re not worried about him, you’re kind of worried about him. Then Stephon Castle’s an elite-level defender. Maybe the best perimeter defender in the country. And then you bring Hassan Diarra off the bench, who is basically the same. Just an elite-level defensive player. And they do a great job of hiding Spencer and not letting him get destroyed.

Reaction Score
not that we didn't already know this ourselves, but words from an anonymous BE coach in today's The Athletic article scouting the Final Four. I wonder if Seth Davis still thinks Kalkbrenner is a better Clingan:

You spend so much time on how to stop them, but the truth is, it’s incredibly hard to score on them because of what Clingan can do at the rim. Clingan is just a monster defensively. He’s the best defensive player in the country. It was a joke that Kalbrenner was Big East defensive player of the year . It’s not even close in our league. Clingan is just so big, and he can move his feet and he can make multiple plays. You can’t score at the rim because even when you’re not worried about him, you’re kind of worried about him. Then Stephon Castle’s an elite-level defender. Maybe the best perimeter defender in the country. And then you bring Hassan Diarra off the bench, who is basically the same. Just an elite-level defensive player. And they do a great job of hiding Spencer and not letting him get destroyed.
These coaches with all of their film and breakdown that the average fan doesn’t do appreciate how it’s done. although we have had many here say that Spencer is a weaker defender getting beat at times. I wish to remind them though that usually he bombs 3’s and he got 12 rebounds.

caw

Reaction Score
Refs for Final 4 were revealed today and Jeff Anderson was on the list. You just know he is going to be reffing our game.

He's usually very good in the NCAAT. Like a different ref.

Reaction Score
Going to be a lot of Purdue fans here. According to StubHub they have sold more tickets from Indiana than CT, NC, and AL combined.

Reaction Score
NC State slides Diarra over to C as Burns' backup, correct? Do they have much C depth behind that? Not sure what to expect in that NC State vs Purdue game, I've been expecting the bottom to fall out for NC State since the first Duke ACC tourney game yet they've been getting through these games pretty convincingly other than surprisingly the Oakland game. Interested to see how Purdue plays on the FF stage, will they be loose now that they finally got over the hump or will they be tight. NC State looks loose as hell.
Very rarely does Diarra play C for State. Ben Middlebrooks is the back up C and plays alongside Diarra often times. Middlebrooks is a solid back up C, doesn't have nearly the offensive game that Burns has, but is a much better defender in the pick and roll and a good rebounder. Lots of hustle and hard nosed play, not someone State really looks to feed in the post or run the offense through but a good back up C.

State has not seen a 7'4" C with skill like that - so defending Purdue will be interesting. State typically does not double the post, but perhaps they break the norm this game? I'm also interested to see how the other end of the floor plays out as Burns is more or less the point C for the team and takes what the D gives him, when teams double he's a great passer and has a fantastic feel for where the ball needs to go, when teams play him straight up he goes to work and has been unstoppable all season. However he has never had to deal with someone with that kind of height and girth, will Burns be able to back Edey down? If he does, will he be able to shoot effectively over that kind of height the way he has all season against other C's? If Burns is shut down then the Pack will have to win in a way they haven't had to during this entire run and play through DJ Horne as the primary scoring option and playmaker for others - or play more of Middlebrooks and go to a pick and roll game and try to hurt Edey that way. From the little I've seen of Edey he doesn't move well on defense and can be had in a pick and roll. He plays not to foul and doesn't really go for blocks or challenge people when he's out of position.

Reaction Score
Going to be a lot of Purdue fans here. According to StubHub they have sold more tickets from Indiana than CT, NC, and AL combined.
Not really a surprise. A great program starved for success with a huge fanbase.

But there's a little bit of "happy to be there" for them, particularly after some of those epic fails.

Sibeerian

Mush on, you Huskies
Reaction Score
I was curious so I looked it up. Numbers can differ from site to site, but:
Edey 9′ 7.50” standing reach, 7′ 10.50” wingspan
Clingan 9'6" standing reach, 7'7" wingspan.

Reaction Score
Burns is only 25 lbs less than Eddy with a lower center of gravity. If he goes into him and can get him to foul on pump fakes, get a couple fouls on him who knows. The refs have given Edey a pass so far.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Burns is only 25 lbs less than Eddy with a lower center of gravity. If he goes into him and can get him to foul on pump fakes, get a couple fouls on him who knows. The refs have given Edey a pass so far.
If you really believe that Burns listed weight is accurate I have sone cryptocurrency that I'd like to sell you.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So is UConn, going for back to back championships and arguably the most dominant run of the modern era.
It's not quite the human interest narrative of a "darling," but the knowledgeable analysts & storytellers can recognize when they are seeing something special and have an opportunity (even obligation) to say, "Whoa, you gotta check this out..."

Many admirable human qualities are amply on display during eye-popping, jaw-dropping sequences that involve individual and coordinated skills, delightful surprises, graceful movement, persistent grit, fruitful results.

When you take a closer, more caring look, even out bad guys are good guys: grateful, hard-working, connected, even tender beneath the tenaciousness.

Reaction Score
REALLY hard to get Edey to fall for pump fakes because he pretty much never leaves his feet on defense. I just don’t see how Burns can creat the space he needs to get his shot off.

Reaction Score
If Edey is truly 300lbs as he is listed...Burns has weight on him. I know Burns is listed at 275, but it's widely accepted that he's more like 325.

I'm not quite as concerned about the weight of Edey, more so about the length. Burns is 6'9 and that may be a tad kind to him, he does not have an extra long wing span, he obviously play below the rim, he is not explosive. The intriguing part will be the style he plays. State loves to initiate the offense through Burns often times 15, 18, even 20 feet away from the rim on the wing or lower towards the baseline. Burns likes to catch the ball that far out and turn and access how the defense is playing him and then react accordingly, I highly doubt Edey is used to being "posted up" at the 3 point line. From the highlights I've seen of Edey he likes to lurk around the rim, so if State can bring him out 18 ft away from the basket perhaps they will negate his shot blocking and shot altering for any potential cutters.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Burns won't be able to do much to stop Edey on the defensive end, but I can see him making Edey work on offense. That is, if Purdue has Edey guard Burns. Burns is about the only guy that can go at Edey # for # and actually be effective. But Edey's height may neutralize any weight advantage Burns may have (lower center of gravity, etc).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom