Final Four Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Final Four Thread

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
If this game happens and we should assume nothing. Alabama could be the team that makes 18 threes and we end up in a very close game so let’s focus on that for now. But if we do end up playing Purdue, I think it will have to be a combination. Edey is not quick and I think Clingan has a longer reach than Edey. I know he is listed at 7’2” but he seems to be a bit taller than that.

My point is if Clingan can just wall up and stay in front of Edey it may have an impact. As mentioned Edey has never played against someone almost his own size at least not one with the skills Donovan has. In this scenario how the game is called will have an impact.

I do think that we can double in the right situations. But if Purdue starts hot that could be a problem. One thing I found interesting is Illinois game plan to go right at Clingan. It failed pretty badly and they adjusted too late.

Did they do the same thing against Edey. It seemed they did not expect Clingan to get to some of their shots but he did. Was that because they had success against Edey with that game plan or only because their only thought was they could get Clingan in foul trouble as he might not be as disciplined as Edey. I say disciplined but Edey fouls as much as he gets fouled but never seems to get in foul trouble.

Reaction Score
If this game happens and we should assume nothing. Alabama could be the team that makes 18 threes and we end up in a very close game so let’s focus on that for now. But if we do end up playing Purdue, I think it will have to be a combination. Edey is not quick and I think Clingan has a longer reach than Edey. I know he is listed at 7’2” but he seems to be a bit taller than that.

My point is if Clingan can just wall up and stay in front of Edey it may have an impact. As mentioned Edey has never played against someone almost his own size at least not one with the skills Donovan has. In this scenario how the game is called will have an impact.

I do think that we can double in the right situations. But if Purdue starts hot that could be a problem. One thing I found interesting is Illinois game plan to go right at Clingan. It failed pretty badly and they adjusted too late.

Did they do the same thing against Edey. It seemed they did not expect Clingan to get to some of their shots but he did. Was that because they had success against Edey with that game plan or only because their only thought was they could get Clingan in foul trouble as he might not be as disciplined as Edey. I say disciplined but Edey fouls as much as he gets fouled but never seems to get in foul trouble.
Edey is incredible scoring the ball and rebounding but he's not much of a defender. He has poor lateral movement and he doesn't even challenge a ton of shots despite his height. Part of that is he plays the whole game and wants to stay on the court like Kalkrenner but Kalk is a much better defender.

Reaction Score
He's excellent against smaller bigs and erasing guards coming into the lane.

A bigger center is a whole other animal.

And, yes, the refs will be a factor.
You want us to double Edey?

That seems like about the only strategy where Purdue could beat us. We have advantages with everyone else. Doubling Edey would negate so much of that advantage.

Reaction Score
It’ll be a real shame if DJ Burns/Clingan spend the game on the bench in foul trouble while Edey takes 20+ foul shots. I hope the refs let the kids play. Nobody wants games decided by fouls. I have nothing against Edey but the whistle he gets is a bit ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Alabama has a different great offense than Illinois. They will unload from outside. Not going to use the idiotic approach Illinois tried. They're dangerous if we don't start hitting our own shots.
Make no mistake Bama is very dangerous but here are some things i noticed. They cant guard a chair in the post so DC is going to be a huge, huge problem and the worst part is Slamson is also going to be a problem coming off those screens for dunks. His agility, speed and vertical is going to be a problem. Second possible problem is if theyre missing on their 3s early on they could find themselves out of it by halftime. They have to hit no less than 40% to even keep it close. Castle and Diarra will play a lot of minutes and they will be a problem on the defensive end that have been so good teams need to start planning a way to deal with them. Uconn has been cold from 3 but they are bound to snap out of it at some point i would think. If Uconn hits 10 or more 3s this game is over. Less than 5 and its possible it could be close but theyve shown they dont need to hit 3s so thats not a given.

Reaction Score
Edey is incredible scoring the ball and rebounding but he's not much of a defender. He has poor lateral movement and he doesn't even challenge a ton of shots despite his height. Part of that is he plays the whole game and wants to stay on the court like Kalkrenner but Kalk is a much better defender.
Ive been watching a ton of tape on him and everything he does is slow. I think DCs size and speed is going to be a shock to the system. In the tape ive watched he seems to have two moves in the post. He gets the ball takes one dribble into the lane and puts up the hook. Occassionally he`ll do this same move but instead of the hook itll be an up and under move if hes gets deep enough. His second move is a spin move toward the baseline for the lay in and he gets fouled nearly every time he does this. He tends to telegraph these moves. Not always but if its one dribble its the hook shot if its more than one dribble hes looking to drop step with the up and under. If Clingan holds his ground and goes straight up hes going to block Edeys shot who is just out of reach of most defenders but i think Clingan can block it or at least make Edey change the tragectory and force him to put it up a little higher and this could create misses which we have to be ready to rebound and go, go, go! If Edey has trouble scoring over DC its game over. Without Edey Purdue is an NIT team, without Clingan Uconn reached #1. I hope the matchup happens and i believe it will.

Reaction Score
You want us to double Edey?

That seems like about the only strategy where Purdue could beat us. We have advantages with everyone else. Doubling Edey would negate so much of that advantage.
No, but it's incredibly arrogant to say "Clingan is the best defensive player in the country and can handle Edey 1 on 1."

I think we have to hope Clingan holds his own decently, limits Edey to "only" something like 30 points, while not fouling himself out. That may be enough, but Clingan is not just going to handle Edey the way we've shut down some of these guards.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
No, but it's incredibly arrogant to say "Clingan is the best defensive player in the country and can handle Edey 1 on 1."

I think we have to hope Clingan holds his own decently, limits Edey to "only" something like 30 points, while not fouling himself out. That may be enough, but Clingan is not just going to handle Edey the way we've shut down some of these guards.
I think we can do better than hold him to 30. I expect his FG% to take a hit.

Reaction Score

What do you mean by handle Edey 1 on 1?

Of course Edey will get his. It's not incredibly arrogant to say Clingan is the best defensive player in the country. It's not incredibly arrogant to say Clingan should guard him 1 on 1.

You said Clingan would need help because of their weight difference but you don't think we should double Edey.

I have no idea what you're saying in this thread.

caw

Reaction Score
Purdue vs. us is inevitable. And maybe I am going crazy, but I do not think it crazy that our 7'2" center whose forte is defense can guard their 7'4" center w/out help. How many centers like DC has Edey faced, ever? The answer is zero, because defensively, there is nobody like DC in college ball. Again, maybe this more nuanced than that, but I would start that matchup mano a mano.

Not sure I caught them all but here are the best centers Edey has faced:

Gonzaga - Ike (18/10) vs Edey (27/14) - Ike 6'9 240 averages 16/7
Gonzaga - Ike (14/7) vs Edey (25/14) - Maui
Marquette - Oso (16/5) vs Edey (28/15) - Maui - Oso 6'11 235 averages 13/7
Arizona - Ballo (13/6) vs Edey (22/9) - Maui - Ballo 7'0 260 averages 13/10
Rutgers - Omoruyi (13/6) vs Edey (26/12) - Cliff 6'11 240 averages 10/8
Rutgers - Omoruyi (4/3) vs Edey (25/7) - Cliff 6'11 240 averages 10/8

So yeah the biggest player he has played against is Ballo, who is still small compared to Clingan and Edey.

In 2023 Edey faced:
Dickinson (21/7) vs Edey (19/9) - Dickinson is really the only player who has won his match up with Edey because he has similar strength and is over 7'. He isn't a great defender but he didn't need to be mobile to defend Edey, just strong enough to keep Edey from his best spots on the floor.
Omoruyi (12/6) vs Edey (19/11)
Timme (22/9) vs Edey (23/7)

I would have loved to see a Purdue vs Creighton matchup because I think Kalkbrenner vs Edey would be fascinating. The best defensive big who never fouls vs Edey who draws fouls left and right. Two robots in the post in that one.

Reaction Score
Comment about UConn women as they try to make F4: I'm so glad Im not a women's bball fan because watching this game is driving me absolutely nuts.

Insane amount of bad calls by the refs. Or non calls.

I'm going to appreciate the men's game a lot more after this.

Reaction Score
Comment about UConn women as they try to make F4: I'm so glad Im not a women's bball fan because watching this game is driving me absolutely nuts.

Insane amount of bad calls by the refs. Or non calls.

I'm going to appreciate the men's game a lot more after this.
AD Dave is at the game. Busy man.

Reaction Score
I like to share in my UConn appreciation. Looks like there are 4 basketball power conferences. Sorry big xii.

Men
UConn, Alabama
NC State, Purdue

Women
UConn, Iowa
NC State, USC

USC now means South Carolina by default. The other one will be relegated to some pacific coast afterthought in the B1G.

Reaction Score
I like to share in my UConn appreciation. Looks like there are 4 basketball power conferences. Sorry big xii.

Men
UConn, Alabama
NC State, Purdue

Women
UConn, Iowa
NC State, USC

USC now means South Carolina by default. The other one will be relegated to some pacific coast afterthought in the B1G.
The women had no business making the final 4 this season, incredibly impressive by them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom