Final college basketball conference power rankings 2023 | The Boneyard

Final college basketball conference power rankings 2023

Reaction Score
Big East finishes 3rd. Big 12 is 1st and Big Ten is 2nd. 2nd? Yeah, whatever. Still, 3rd isn't bad for a little conference with a bunch of small catholic schools. Right @freescooter? If I read him spewing about the "Newbie" again I swear I'm going to lose it. :)

3. Big East

The top of the Big East was as good or better than the top of any conference in the country. In addition to national champion UConn, Creighton was seconds away from reaching the Final Four, and Xavier made the Sweet 16. While Marquette flamed out in the second round, the Golden Eagles won the Big East regular season and tournament titles. Those four each finished in the top 18 of the final NET rankings. By comparison, the Big 12's top four of Texas, Kansas, Baylor and Kansas State finished in the top 19. Ultimately, a lack of depth hindered the Big East from climbing higher in the final rankings. Butler (125), DePaul (155) and Georgetown (240) provided nothing of value, which dragged down the league's overall metrics. With Villanova also in a transition following the retirement of coach Jay Wright, the league was missing one of its anchors in the NCAA Tournament. Considering that seven of the Big East's 11 teams were either in their first season with a new coach or final season with an existing coach, the league's overall performance for the 2022-23 season was solid. If Ed Cooley gets Georgetown going, Rick Pitino injects life into St. John's and Kyle Neptune restores Villanova to prominence, this could be the nation's top conference in the years ahead.

BY THE NUMBERS

• 4th in NCAA Tournament bid percentage: 5 of 11 (45.5%)
  • 1st in NCAA Tournament record: 12-4 (75%)
  • 4th in top 50 NBA Draft prospects per team: .45 (five total)
  • 4th in average NET ranking: 77.6 (64.7 last year)
  • 3rd in average NET ranking excluding bottom two teams: 51 (44.6 last year)

Reaction Score
Big East finishes 3rd. Big 12 is 1st and Big Ten is 2nd. 2nd? Yeah, whatever. Still, 3rd isn't bad for a little conference with a bunch of small catholic schools. Right @freescooter? If I read him spewing about the "Newbie" again I swear I'm going to lose it. :)

3. Big East

The top of the Big East was as good or better than the top of any conference in the country. In addition to national champion UConn, Creighton was seconds away from reaching the Final Four, and Xavier made the Sweet 16. While Marquette flamed out in the second round, the Golden Eagles won the Big East regular season and tournament titles. Those four each finished in the top 18 of the final NET rankings. By comparison, the Big 12's top four of Texas, Kansas, Baylor and Kansas State finished in the top 19. Ultimately, a lack of depth hindered the Big East from climbing higher in the final rankings. Butler (125), DePaul (155) and Georgetown (240) provided nothing of value, which dragged down the league's overall metrics. With Villanova also in a transition following the retirement of coach Jay Wright, the league was missing one of its anchors in the NCAA Tournament. Considering that seven of the Big East's 11 teams were either in their first season with a new coach or final season with an existing coach, the league's overall performance for the 2022-23 season was solid. If Ed Cooley gets Georgetown going, Rick Pitino injects life into St. John's and Kyle Neptune restores Villanova to prominence, this could be the nation's top conference in the years ahead.

BY THE NUMBERS

• 4th in NCAA Tournament bid percentage: 5 of 11 (45.5%)
  • 1st in NCAA Tournament record: 12-4 (75%)
  • 4th in top 50 NBA Draft prospects per team: .45 (five total)
  • 4th in average NET ranking: 77.6 (64.7 last year)
  • 3rd in average NET ranking excluding bottom two teams: 51 (44.6 last year)

Maybe Michigan State will hang a banner for this too

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Nelson’s conference rankings:

1) Big 12 - top to bottom, the best league
2) Big East - the top 4 of the league was amazing, but the bottom of the league was hot dog spit.
3) SEC - deep league, but Kentucky is in permanent decline.
4) Big 10 - a league can’t suck this bad in the tournament every year and still be a top conference.
5) MWC - San Diego State played for the championship. New Mexico, Utah State, Nevada and Boise didn’t suck either. I feel guilty about putting them behind the Big 10.
6) PAC 12 - not as bad as the media says, but not great either.
7) ACC- LOLOLOLOL. Miami’s run avoided this season being an unmitigated disaster for the league. Pitt was a game out of first. Seriously.

Reaction Score
Some people just want to watch the teams they claim to love burn. Funny how some individuals have just disappeared since the championship.
Trolls aside , you will always have them . That being said given the talent this team had if you weren’t critical of them losing 7 Big East games you might be a fan but you know squat about BB .
This was a decent league at the top so you expect 3 road losses and a WTF game almost every team has them . But finishing 5th when you’re the most talented team in the league sucked for those of us who understood
our potential.
Over the top criticism of Hurley were unwarranted some out right stupid
But pointing out we have been embarrassed in post season plus we’re 0-5 in games decided by 5 or fewer points is just pointing to reality.. Dan knew this isn’t a fanbase that likes to lose. Crazyness and personal attacks overstep the boundaries of legitimate criticism. But this boards exist to a degree for fans to vent their frustrations.
As he said himself UConn is our only big time sport’s program and basketball the most successful and visible sport so being the coach brings that kind of pressure associated with that status.
When we hired Hurley he was the best available coach out there . We paid him very competitively given our revenue base , and his lack of post season success albeit at less visible programs , with that comes expectations. We had assistants making salaries comparable to our old football head coach. Basketball is us .
This was not the 2011 team where if you got away with beating up one player (allowed in the old Big.East )you could easily beat us .
In 2023 we were the most physically imposing team in the league as well as the deepest with a bunch of experienced guys.
Frankly as the season went on many of the critiques of the board were addressed which lead to a growth and an ultimate championship.
I’m not claiming Hurley’s paid attention to the board only that maybe the less knowledgeable should pay attention to constructive criticism as a way of learning the game rather than becoming defensive.Hurley has a staff paid millions to give him the same info you’re getting for free .

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Trolls aside , you will always have them . That being said given the talent this team had if you weren’t critical of them losing 7 Big East games you might be a fan but you know squat about BB .
This was a decent league at the top so you expect 3 road losses and a WTF game almost every team has them . But finishing 5th when you’re the most talented team in the league sucked for those of us who understood
our potential.
Over the top criticism of Hurley were unwarranted some out right stupid
But pointing out we have been embarrassed in post season plus we’re 0-5 in games decided by 5 or fewer points is just pointing to reality.. Dan knew this isn’t a fanbase that likes to lose. Crazyness and personal attacks overstep the boundaries of legitimate criticism. But this boards exist to a degree for fans to vent their frustrations.
As he said himself UConn is our only big time sport’s program and basketball the most successful and visible sport so being the coach brings that kind of pressure associated with that status.
When we hired Hurley he was the best available coach out there . We paid him very competitively given our revenue base , and his lack of post season success albeit at less visible programs , with that comes expectations. We had assistants making salaries comparable to our old football head coach. Basketball is us .
This was not the 2011 team where if you got away with beating up one player (allowed in the old Big.East )you could easily beat us .
In 2023 we were the most physically imposing team in the league as well as the deepest with a bunch of experienced guys.
Frankly as the season went on many of the critiques of the board were addressed which lead to a growth and an ultimate championship.
I’m not claiming Hurley’s paid attention to the board only that maybe the less knowledgeable should pay attention to constructive criticism as a way of learning the game rather than becoming defensive.Hurley has a staff paid millions to give him the same info you’re getting for free .
We finished fourth.

Constructive criticism always welcome. A lot of stuff is just put down of players or coaches or other posters without offering anything substantive.

You know like Hurley can’t coach or they shouldn’t play Joey, or they should have gotten a point guard because Tristen can’t run the team.

That Joey one I know first hand. I’ll take a victory lap on him. When most posters were insisting he should not get any minutes because of his defense I recognized his moxie and floor leadership and wrote he was going to be important.

I’ll admit I’m a casual fan. I appreciate balanced discourse from individuals knowledgeable or otherwise. I don’t appreciate individuals who can’t control their emotions and falsely believe they are providing constructive criticism.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This was a decent league at the top
The above is what we call a tell. Describing the consensus 3rd or 4th best conference (out of 32) as a "a decent league at the top" means that you don't have to bother going further. If the set-up is that bogus, you know it doesn't get better from there.

Reaction Score
So the Big East was first in the only metric that matters (winning % in NCAA Tournament). That makes us #1, case closed

Reaction Score
Some people just want to watch the teams they claim to love burn. Funny how some individuals have just disappeared since the championship.

I was just thinking this morning that i bet the next time we lose a single game (hopefully a few years from now), there will be a thread titled: "Yall still ridin with Hurley ?"
That very thread was started at 14-1 this season.

Reaction Score
I think some were pc fans coming over pretending to be uconn fans

Reaction Score
On a side note- Do they come out with a final AP poll post tournament? Thought they have done this in years past, but I could be wrong.

Edit: saw final coaches poll- that may be what I was thinking of.

Reaction Score
Big East

The BIG EAST is the Top Basketball Conference and the Key to Georgetown’s Path Back to Glory​

The best teams, best coaches, best tournament and more.

Reaction Score
On a side note- Do they come out with a final AP poll post tournament? Thought they have done this in years past, but I could be wrong.

Edit: saw final coaches poll- that may be what I was thinking of.

Final AP poll is right before the tournament. Always has been.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Big East

The BIG EAST is the Top Basketball Conference and the Key to Georgetown’s Path Back to Glory​

The best teams, best coaches, best tournament and more.
Using JC's playbook to get back to relevance.

Some powerful people spending lots of $$$ to put sports on the front burner. New hire in women's bb as well.

Reaction Score
One thing that Big East fans overrate as far as importance is the Big East tournament, I agree that it is the best of the conference tournaments, however, no player is deciding where to go play basketball based on the Big East tournament being at MSG. Players pick a school based on the head coach, their feelings about the school and their potential teammates, success of the program, potential playing time, NIL opportunities, quality and exposure of the league. Nobody is choosing to go to UCONN or any other Big East school because of the year end tournament being in MSG, that is so far down the list that it is hardly worth mentioning. I use as evidence St John's University, if playing at MSG is such a draw please explain to me the total ineptitude of that basketball program. They could rotate the Big East tournament to Barclays, Phily and DC and the league would draw the same players. Yes UCONN fans love the tournament at MSG but that is due to the easy train ride to a great city.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big Ten is absolute garbage.

Bad, boring basketball every freaking year.

The fact that Purdue rolls through that league and then loses to a 23-seed every March should tip some people off, but I guess not.

Top three were the Big East, Big 12 and SEC and then there was a bunch of human wreckage behind them and behind the human wreckage was the ACC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom