Final 4 is still gr8 success! | The Boneyard

Final 4 is still gr8 success!

Reaction Score
Final 4 again. That's great and congrats UCONN women! Moreover, they just got a verbal from the best junior in the country. I hate the haters on here. If you jump ship do me a favor and dont come back.

Reaction Score
After seeing what kind of team we had this year, I have to say that I was very pleased to see them showing grit when they needed it, to earn another FF. Obviously it's frustrating to see them fall short in a game that they were capable of winning, but that doesn't diminish what they did to get here. Thank you, KLS and Phee. Thank you, UConn roster.

Reaction Score
We will be back... That I am sure of.... This season was a good one... and the fact they made it to the final four as a 2 seed and Lou was injured...... Our team deserves some credit for how great they were.

Reaction Score
I trust we will be back. But these last three final fours we really should’ve won, but players have to make plays and we didn’t so credit goes to ND who did on almost every possession down the stretch

Reaction Score
After seeing what kind of team we had this year, I have to say that I was very pleased to see them showing grit when they needed it, to earn another FF. Obviously it's frustrating to see them fall short in a game that they were capable of winning, but that doesn't diminish what they did to get here. Thank you, KLS and Phee. Thank you, UConn roster.
What exactly did they do here?

Reaction Score
Geno said in a previous interview that after 1991 the Huskies didn't go back to the FF until 1995, there was a drought after that year as well. Now we have gone 12 straight times and won the NC more times than not. How can any fan not appreciate the success we've had and only focus on the losses? That is beyond my comprehension. I feel bad for the seniors certainly, but look what they've accomplished! The highest scoring duo in UConn history..not to shabby. We are lucky fans indeed.

Reaction Score
With a couple of close calls in the conference many thought this year would see the end of the final 4 streak. The team regrouped and played with UConn pride and came so close to making the championship. Well done UConn women and thank you Phee and Lou for 4 great years !

Reaction Score
Another great season,ending on such a down side of things.
I feel Bad for Two of the all time UCONN greats, Pheesa and KLS. Wish we had a more healthier KLS. Her grit thru out this tourney is something I will always take away from her time here at UCONN.

I'm So looking forward to watching my favorite Program play next season. Can't wait to see my favorite Player ONO comeback and take on a bigger role. Looking forward to seeing Meg and CW step up as young leaders. My biggest want is to see how much our bench players get implemented into the rotation. Go UCONN!!!

Reaction Score
What exactly did they do here?

FF game notwithstanding, they won tough and ugly when they had to. Had to deal with as many tight games as two or three typical UConn seasons at least, and won most of them. Won against a very game and difficult opponent in Louisville.

They were fine, albeit in a way that generated more stomach acid for fans than in previous years. Just didn't quite have enough today.

Reaction Score
FF game notwithstanding, they won tough and ugly when they had to. Had to deal with as many tight games as two or three typical UConn seasons at least, and won most of them. Won against a very game and difficult opponent in Louisville.

They were fine, albeit in a way that generated more stomach acid for fans than in previous years. Just didn't quite have enough today.
Or last year. Or the year before. I love them both, but they came up short 3 times.

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
As a State alum and fan, much respect for the UCONN program. Congratulations on another FF run. That is really incredible. Sometimes it seems like another team has your number and last year and this year in the tournament ND has had it. But those things kind of go in cycles. Good luck to you next year.

As for our State ladies, yes we are losing 4 senior starters for the third straight year but I am excited about our young talent coming into the program and some that have been waiting in the wings. We will struggle early next year but I think by the end of the season we will be really good again.

Reaction Score
As a State alum and fan, much respect for the UCONN program. Congratulations on another FF run. That is really incredible. Sometimes it seems like another team has your number and last year and this year in the tournament ND has had it. But those things kind of go in cycles. Good luck to you next year.

As for our State ladies, yes we are losing 4 senior starters for the third straight year but I am excited about our young talent coming into the program and some that have been waiting in the wings. We will struggle early next year but I think by the end of the season we will be really good again.
Next year is going to be an interesting season with many of the top programs losing a lot to graduation. Your team, our team, ND, Louisville, etc. I think Baylor is going to look a lot like the 2015-16 Huskies with respect to the rest of the field. There's just going to be no one close to them. South Carolina will have a load of talent, but it will be young and inexperienced.

TJT

Reaction Score
The AAC is not providing UConn the necessary competition to better itself for a later NCAA Tournament Championship run.

Reaction Score
The AAC is not providing UConn the necessary competition to better itself for a later NCAA Tournament Championship run.
I don't think it's that. It's easy to point to that and use that as an excuse, but it's not. Stewie had to play in the AAC too. Our players just couldn't make plays when they had to. The game was very winnable. Like Geno said it should have been a 15 point game at halftime. We had a 9 point lead with 8 minutes to go, and an 11 point lead with 90 seconds to go against Louisville. Those leads didn't disappear because we play in the AAC.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Not sure there is a conference then get them farther than they got in the past 3 years.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'd just like to thank Geno and CD for Paige Bueckers and just share me little shopping list: a 6'4-6" European surprise this Spring/summer for 2019, our Turkish guard, another 6'4" + talent for Paige's class and a superb power forward.

Yes, I'm tired of our kids having to over achieve because we're short!

Reaction Score
So what about those teams that lost, that play in power 5?

UCONN made it the Final 4, three straight years. Two Buzzer beaters and a game with 22 lead changes. Think blaming AAC is a bit much to why UCONN lost.

Reaction Score
Someone else said it: A game UConn could have won. This one more than the others, which were decided by, let's face it, amazing last-minute plays. I started counting the missed bunnies early, and stopped at 8 because it was just too frustrating. If they did absolutely nothing else and made half of those, they would have won.

The AAC is not a reason why UConn lost. IMHO it is, however, a reason why UConn consistently for the last three years has not played with the intensity it has in the past. No matter how much Geno and his coaches try to instill this into players, all but the most driven will play with as much intensity as they need, not with as much intensity as they have. Playing in the ACC instead of the AAC requires more of that intensity, day in and day out. If good playerts are playing that way for, say, 20 out of 30 games rather than 10 out of 30, they are twice as likely to default to intense all the time.

So the UConn players in the last few years are not as intense as those in the past. They also are not as tall. And no matter how you look at it, tall counts. Notre Dame had Turner. UConn didn't. To cite just one example. So I hope this Bueckers kid is intense, because she sure isn't tall.

Maybe UConn can find a 6'7" point guard. Kill two birds with one stone, eh?

Speaking of that, ONO sure looked good in there last night. Mistakes, yes, but she has come a long way in a short time. I thought all three non-Big-Three players came up big. In the arena of performance vs. fan expectations, I believe they outdid the Big Three. You expect a certain level of performance from Crystal, KLS and Napheesa. I for one was not sure what we would get from the others in such a big game. I was not disappointed with any of them.

Reaction Score
Good year ladies!!! I am so proud of accomplishments of this group.... looking at things from 30000 feet.... it is so difficult to even get to Final 4.... let alone win the whole thing..... ask Kim Mulkey.... even though she had transcendent player like Brittney Griner,.... only got 1 title not 4.... look to mens game... same for Patrick Ewing.... relevant for 4 years but only one title.... it is DIFFICULT..... games are "one and done" look at Kim Mulkey Muffet, and Tara.... all wonderful coaches.... long careers.... but only 2 titles they can claim.... one of them goes to 3 tomorrow night... good for them.... they are all 60-ish.... not too many title chances left

the fact is that Uconn's program has been and is exemplary.... led by a HC and coaching staff which is second to none.... they have placed UConn in an echelon whereas the records will not be caught for many years..... 11 titles is unheard of.... how many undefeated seasons? how many impressive streaks.... and doing things the right way..... always criticized by other teams fan bases many of whom say nasty things untrue things.... our staff just keeps getting business done.... for the scope of the school and betterment of the women who come through the program....

I salute them in the best way.... SO PROUD of you all. Thank you

Reaction Score
Someone else said it: A game UConn could have won. This one more than the others, which were decided by, let's face it, amazing last-minute plays. I started counting the missed bunnies early, and stopped at 8 because it was just too frustrating. If they did absolutely nothing else and made half of those, they would have won.

The AAC is not a reason why UConn lost. IMHO it is, however, a reason why UConn consistently for the last three years has not played with the intensity it has in the past. No matter how much Geno and his coaches try to instill this into players, all but the most driven will play with as much intensity as they need, not with as much intensity as they have. Playing in the ACC instead of the AAC requires more of that intensity, day in and day out. If good playerts are playing that way for, say, 20 out of 30 games rather than 10 out of 30, they are twice as likely to default to intense all the time.

So the UConn players in the last few years are not as intense as those in the past. They also are not as tall. And no matter how you look at it, tall counts. Notre Dame had Turner. UConn didn't. To cite just one example. So I hope this Bueckers kid is intense, because she sure isn't tall.

Maybe UConn can find a 6'7" point guard. Kill two birds with one stone, eh?

Speaking of that, ONO sure looked good in there last night. Mistakes, yes, but she has come a long way in a short time. I thought all three non-Big-Three players came up big. In the arena of performance vs. fan expectations, I believe they outdid the Big Three. You expect a certain level of performance from Crystal, KLS and Napheesa. I for one was not sure what we would get from the others in such a big game. I was not disappointed with any of them.
I think UCONN's biggest problem is Geno. Not the conference or who they play on their schedule.
Geno refuses to play anyone unless he has to. Because of that he can't trust his bench when he really needs them. Making Wholesale changes of all 5 players during the game and then expecting to pick up from where your five All Americans players left off isn't building continuity. Mix and match so that the players get comfortable in their roll amongst the starters. No way you can tell me Mikayla's defensive presence couldn't have helped us the last three games. Brianna
Turner spent a good portion of the game on the bench first half. Wonder how much that rest was needed for her to come up big down the stretch. Fresh legs, Fresh minds

Reaction Score
that starting 5 was as talented as any in the country, with 3 high school #1's , 2 multi-year all-americans, and a 9 point lead in the 4th quarter. sorry, a very disappointing loss. they barely held on against Louisville, and last night did not. everyone is just being too nice here. oh well, it's been a long season.

Reaction Score
I think UCONN's biggest problem is Geno. Not the conference or who they play on their schedule.
Geno refuses to play anyone unless he has to. Because of that he can't trust his bench when he really needs them. Making Wholesale changes of all 5 players during the game and then expecting to pick up from where your five All Americans players left off isn't building continuity. Mix and match so that the players get comfortable in their roll amongst the starters. No way you can tell me Mikayla's defensive presence couldn't have helped us the last three games. Brianna
Turner spent a good portion of the game on the bench first half. Wonder how much that rest was needed for her to come up big down the stretch. Fresh legs, Fresh minds
IIRC, Turner was not being rested because she was tired. She had accumulated some fouls, and Muffet didn't want her to pick up another before the end of the half. A smart move on her part, IMO.

Reaction Score
that starting 5 was as talented as any in the country, with 3 high school #1's , 2 multi-year all-americans, and a 9 point lead in the 4th quarter. sorry, a very disappointing loss. they barely held on against Louisville, and last night did not. everyone is just being too nice here. oh well, it's been a long season.

It absolutely is a very disappointing loss, but the score is what counts, and all that talent on paper was not ready to hold onto that lead against that team in those last few minutes. I still maintain that (unless you are Taurasi or Maya of someone like that) you cannot turn intensity on like water from a faucet. You also cannot command it that way in others, even if you are Geno Auriemma.

If you have it in you at all (and some kids don't), it's a learned behavior, and you get better at it if you have to use it more often. This, IMHO, is the real and insidious reason why being in the AAC is a problem.

Absent UConn, the AAC is a pretty balanced league in which many teams are competitive with one another. UConn throws the whole thing off because 3/4ths of the time, if not more, UConn can coast to victory. Now back before recruiting got tougher, UConn blew everyone out, or almost everyone. Still, even though the AAC is better than it used to be (and the South Florida team that should have been would have given UConn a real game this year) it is not the proving ground that an NCAA Final Four team needs.

It is not a coincidence that when UConn joined the AAC, it stopped participating in joke tournaments -- Remember "competing" against Fairleigh-what-the-hell?-Dickinson at in December at the Civic Center? Geno recognized he needed to test has players as often as he could. So UConn has this great OOC schedule and hopefully will continue to do so. But, IMHO, it's not enough, either to keep the recruits coming in enough numbers to automatically remain at the top or to prepare most of UConn's players for the rigors of competition against the Notre Dames and Baylors of the world.

This is not doom and gloom, folks. It is the New World Order. UConn had a great year -- better that some expected. Given the talent we know will be there, next year will be a real challenge. I have a lot of confidence that Geno & Company will adapt, but there may be just so much they can do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom