Films Worth Viewing Year 3 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Films Worth Viewing Year 3

Reaction Score
"Angel-A"-Luc Besson-2005

This is a black and white quickie. It is available on Prime until the end of the month. A con man in Paris is at the end of his rope. He owes multiple criminals big bucks. He sees no way out. He climbs out on a ledge preparing to jump and take his life. He sees a tall young woman on the ledge. She jumps and he follows her and saves her. Her name is Angela, and since this is a love story, it has a happy ending. It turns out that she is a guardian angel. Her mission is to give him the self confidence to turn his life around. The two central characters, Andre ( Jammel Debbouze) and Angela (Rie Riomussen) are compelling. The initial scenes draw the viewer in, but the film becomes somewhat predictable in the middle. The ending is satisfying. This is no "Wings of Desire" in plot or execution, but it is decent. Give this little film a chance; it is worth it.

Reaction Score
"Invictus"-Clint Eastwood-2009

In his later years, Eastwood made a very wide variety of films. "Invictus" is a biographical film with an unusual subject, Nelson Mandela. It is set in 1995; Mandela has just become president of the Union of South Africa. This is also the year that the rugby World Cup was coming to South Africa.
For many South Afrikaners one of the worst things about apartheid was the ban on South African athletics international competition. Probably the most popular sport in South Africa was rugby. The national team is called Springboks; the colors are green and gold. The Black African majority saw the Springboks as a symbol of apartheid. The national team had only one black player, Chester Williams. He coached the actors in this film.

Early in the film Mandela uses his personal prestige to prevent a national sports committee from changing the name of the national team. They keep the name and the colors. The entire situation was the subject of a highly regarded book ""Playing the Enemy: Mandela and the Game that Made a Nation" by sports journalist, John Carlin. Mandela famously emerged in front of the immense crowd for the championship wearing the Springboks green and gold jersey. He wore a #6 jersey, the same number worn by the captain Francois Pienaar. Mandela wanted the whole nation to identify with the team. He hoped that the world wide audience of one billion would see South Africa in a new light. That would help in two ways. Nationally it would help unite the country. All races would see themselves as South Africans. Internationally he hoped that this emerging unity would make South Africa a good bet for foreign investors.

There are two key roles in the film; Morgan Freeman as Nelson Mandela and Matt Damon as Francois Pienaar, the team captain. Mandela involves directly with the team. He visits them several times during training, and he invites Pienaar to afternoon tea at the presidential residence. Mandela is interested in Pienaar's character. He knows that for South Africa to make a good showing in the World Championship, the Springboks willhave to raise their game. They talk about leadership. Mandela brings up a poem "Invictus" he memorized during his imprisonment on Robben Island.
The author, William Earnest Henley, wrote the poem while dealing with the amputation of a leg. I remember reading the poem in high school; it has two very memorable lines. The first is "my head is bloody but unbowed." The second is :"I am master of my fate, I am captain of my soul." One of the themes of the film is that n individual can make a difference. Pienaar made a difference to the team, Mandela made a difference tothe team and the nation.

Morgan Freeman was a friend and supporter of Mandela. He was both Mandela's and Eastwood's first and only choice. Those who knew Mandela said that he was Mandela in voice, posture, gait, and style in the picture. Damon struck up a friendship with Pienaar. Damon joined Pienaar in a marathon bike race for charity. Damon physically doesn't resemble Pienaar, but he got into great physical shape for the film. It was filmed on location in South Africa. One of the emotional high points is the team's visit to Mandela's cell on Robben Island. Mandela spent 18 of his 27 years in prison in that cell. (For a more detailed story of Mandela. check out "A Long Walk to Freedom" starring Idris Elba. Remember "The Wire"?)

The film is an accurate and uplifting story. However, there is some quibbling about several points. The film doesn't mention that almost the entire New Zealand team, The All Blacks:, came down with food poisoning before the championship game. Many believe it wasn't an accident. Some knowledgeable fans were critical of the rugby. This film holds up to repeated viewings. Damon is quite good and Freeman is excellent. This merits a very high recommendation.

Reaction Score
"J. Edgar"-Clint Eastwood-2011

I have one major unanswered question about this film; why did Eastwood choose Hoover as a subject? Eastwood has a well earned reputation as a conservative. He had a famous role at the Republican Convention where he addressed an empty chair. The script by Destin Black portrays Hoover as a complex character. His virtues include helping to develop the card catalogue of the Library of Congress, elevating fingerprinting to a science, and developing forensic science to help solve crimes. He took a despised government agency, the Bureau of Investigation, and oversaw its development into the premier investigative service in the world. Like many of my contemporaries, I visited the FBI as a child. Our tour took us through various departments and we were fingerprinted. I mention this to show just how central the FBI was in the American Experience.

Hoover built his personal reputation through his careful use of the media. He was a central figure in comic books and in films. His career began with the post war "Red Scare" investigations led by then Attorney General A. Mitchell Palmer. Hoover became his principal deputy in attempting to round up subversives. In 1924 Hover became the head of the Bureau of Investigation. He reformed it by raising the standards for agents. You had to be either an accountant or a lawyer to become an agent. Agents were held to high standards of character, dress, and physical ability. He got rid of all female agents, and he prevented Afro-Americans from becoming agents. He developed secret files on suspected threats, but he also collected salacious material on may prominent Americans including politicians. He used this material to build and to maintain power.

Toward the end of his career information came out about his dubious practices and his affronts to civil liberties. The Bureau's investigation of the Kennedy assassination came under negative scrutiny. Rumors swirled about his private life which included homosexuality and cross dressing. Vincent Gardenia gives an excellent, but very negative portrayal of Hoover in the very solid 80's mini-series "Kennedy." This film spans over 50 years of Hoover's life private and public. Casting Leo Di Caprio was a major coup. This is clearly against type; the only comparison is casting Tony Curtis as Albert De Salvo, the Boston Strangler. Armie Hammer plays Clyde Tolson, Hoover's second in command and great friend. There were persistent rumors about their relationship, and Hoover left almost his entire estate to Tolson. He left $5,000 to his secretary of 54 years, Helen Gandy (Naomi Watts). She was charged with the destruction of his secret files after his death. The final key character is his mother played by Judy Dench.
She was delighted to work with Eastwood. Eastwood has a stellar reputation with actors ,but in this film he and Di Caprio had some difficulties. Eastwood likes to shoot as few takes as possible. Di Caprio wanted some re-takes on one scene. The reputation was strained for the rest of the film. Dench, Hammer, and Watts were full of praise for the experience.

One cannot avoid the questions of historical accuracy about such a film. I'm not in a position to be able to assess these questions. Principal among them are the personal relations of Hoover with his mother and the Tolson relationship. There is one device in the movie, the dictating of his biography to an agent which is clearly a dramatic device rather than history. The central actors' performances are all excellent; the period detail is very much on point. The film is slow moving in parts. This is a film where the sum of the parts are greater than the whole. It is worth viewing, but it probably is not a film which most will be interested in re-visiting.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
One of the startling bits of information I uncovered is that Donald Trump claimed that this was his favorite film. oh wait he later revealed that "Deadly Bloodsport" was his favorite film. For film buffs, this is ticking off a big box. I admit to being a contrarian, but I'm not above questioning my judgement. It has been opined that the film doesn't change, but the viewer changes. The film sometimes does change, Ebert remarks how much one can see in the 35 millimeter version than the original prints. Of course the nitrate prints burned up in the 70's. Ted Turner was supposed to be trying to colorize "Citizen Kane." Let's accept that the viewer brings his/her experiences to the movie. Watching the two commentaries gave me a different subtext when I watched the film a third time in two days. I was a consciously more informed viewer. What did I see?

The film opens with shots of Kane's mansion, Xanadu. We see the metal fencing and the No Trespassing sign. We also view a light in one window. There is a quick wipe into a news reel (News on the March). This was s takeoff on "Time" magazine's "The March of Time." Welles appeared on the CBS radio show. After the newsreel is shown for professional news personnel , one journalist is given the task of discovering the "meaning" of Kane's last word "Snowbud." Thompson, William Allard, begins his research with Kane's second wife, Susan Aldrich Kane ( Dorothy Cummingore), she won't tell him anything. Thompson (we never see his face} next visits the library of Thatcher. He was the banker who oversaw Kane s' development untilhe turned 25. Then he would come into his inheritance which began with a huge goldmine. Reading the unpublished memoir setup flashbacks to the boy in Colorado. Rosebud remains illusive, and Thompson interviews Bernstein, Kane's business manager. The flashbacks can cover long periods of time. There is the famous flashback of Kane having breakfast with his first wife, Emily Norton (Ruth Warwick) through several years. They groe both more emotionally and physically distant over the years.

Of all his holdings Kane is interested in one, a second rate NYC daily, "The Inquirer." When he comes into his fortune at 25, he throws himself into the development of the paper. On the first day of his management, he has a statement of purpose appear on the front page. This avows that the paper will protect the interests of the working class. When Kane returns to manage the paper, he brings along his closest friend, Jed Leland (Joseph Cotton). Cotton becomes the drama critic. At one point it looks like Kane will become governor of New York. A scandal derails him. The depression hits his group of newspapers hard. Kane has spent money building up a print and radio empire. The bank takes over his empire. He retires to Xanadu, his unfinished palace in Florida with his second wife. His attempt to make her a great opera singer has been a total failure. After several years in Xanadu, Susan leaves him. Kane grows old alone. He has no friends or family. When he dies, a snow globe falls from his hand and breaks as he utters "Rosebud." The snow globe was in Susan's apartment the night they met. Kane has been buying things from all over the word for decades. After his death, they are catalogued and put up for auction. Thompson arrives to photograph the mass of goods, and perhaps to find Rosebud. He is unsuccessful, but he states that finding Rosebud wouldn't explain Kane's life. We are let in on what Rosebud is, but the reveal doesn't really help us How did Kane's life go so wrong?

I couldn't find a free streaming service. The film is a technical masterpiece, an arresting story with excellent acting. I recognize the achievement, but it doesn't move me emotionally. This was Welles" first film, in the estimate of critics and directors it is his best. Welles wasn't portraying himself in the film. Most actors wanted to work with him; Charlton Heston insisted that Welles direct "A Touch of Evil" as a condition of his signing on to star. Both Wise and Toland were fans. You really need to watch this on a big screen; the next best thing is to get a DVD with lots of extras.
'How did Kane's life go so wrong?'

'I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection. Sigmund Freud
'Give me a child until he is 7 and I will show you the man.' Aristotle
'How dear to the heart are the scenes from childhood when fond memories recall them to view.' as best as i can tell, a spliffy family motto for generations.

the charlie kane story is an easy read. kid got hosed at the getgo, as his joyful and simple youth was ripped from him.
a lesson horribly lost to our world today. after decades of tiger moms and helicopter parenting, all set against a backdrop of health and 'dirt' paranoias, comes the sars2 mania and the accompanying ruination for the dreams of youth. that mental health tragedy only begins. rosebud, indeed.

'One of the luckiest things that can happen to you in life is, I think, to have a happy childhood.' agatha christie

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Hobson's Choice"-David Lean-1954

For those of you who are familiar with Lean's work, this is perhaps a curious film. It's black and white, so none of the great vistas of "Lawrence of Arabia" or "Dr. Zhivago." It isn't an adaptation of Dickens nor a partnership with Noel Coward. I can think of one other Lean film off the top of my head which is as obscure and as memorable, "Summertime" which details a romance between a spinster American tourist(Katherine Hepburn) and an Italian sophisticate (Rossano Brazzi). Interestingly, Jack Hidyard is the cinematographer for both films.

The opening sequence is one of my all time favorites. The camera focuses on the sign for Hobson's Boot shop. It is moving in the wind, and the cobblestones are wet. It is night, there is some light in the background. Then the camera moves inside the shop. We see examples of the craft on sale. This includes what we would consider boots today, but we see some very fancy lady's shoes as well. It is clear we are in an era of hand made or better hand crafted items. The original play was first produced in 1915. Harold Brighouse's play was a success in London and it traveled to the US. It was remounted in 1931. It was again a success. There is a silent version from 1920 which is available on YouTube. Another film version came out in 1983 starring Richard Thomas.

Let's return to the brilliant opening. The door opens and a corpulent very drunk man enters. He bumps into nothing and belches. Then aloud he says "Pardon Me." A woman emerges with a light. She says to her drunken father: after the clock has struck one am : "Good job your mason's meeting is only once a month." So we meet two of the three principal characters immediately, and in less than 3 minutes we learn quite a bit about them. Hobson (Charles Laughton) owns a prosperous boot shop and he is a drunk. His daughter puts up with it, but she isn't afraid to call a spade a spade. Brenda de Banzie is not a well known actress. She is better known for her stage work, but for 10 years 1954 to 1963; she played important roles in well known films. A few examples are "What Every Woman Wants", "The Man Who Knew too Much", and Olivier's "The Entertainer." She gives a superb performance here. Laughton didn't make many comedies, but he did play quirky, sly, mean spirited characters often in such films as "Witness for the Prosecution" among others. In this he is in full comic mode for the entire film. This is excellent work, but I admit I like characters like Seeb Cooley better. The third leg of the stool is Willie Mossup an illiterate young man but a brilliant bootmaker. He works in a cellar beneath the shop crafting boots, shoes, and gloves. He is lower class both literally and figuratively. This was a breakthrough role for John Mills. He was a late addition when Robert Donant wasn't available. This is Mills' favorite role.

Hobson's eldest daughter, Maggie, decides that she will marry Mossup. Some observers believe that she is looking for a marriage of convenience; I think they are wrong. Maggie sees William as a business partner, but she has a romantic attraction as well. It takes some doing, but she and Willie forge both a romance and a successful business. Maggie's intelligence and gumption opens the door. Mossup grows and sees a future beyond even what Maggie saw initially.

This is better than solid filmmaking with flashes of brilliance. The opening is available on YouTube, but not the whole film. If you have HBO, you can watch it there. It also appears on Turner Classic. This worth repeated viewings. You can just enjoy it, but if you are inclined some of the details are craftmanship of the highest order.

Reaction Score
"Rio Bravo"-1959-Howard Hawks

Hawks was living in Europe. His last film had been a failure. He was nervous about returning to work. He threw up on the set the first day. He had assembled a crew of pros: Tomkin as composer, Russell Harlan as cinematographer, and Leigh Brackett as one of the writers. When Hawks first hired her for "Red River" he was surprised that she was a woman. She was a talent; her last work before her death was a first draft of "The Empire Strikes Back." Hawks was a versatile director; he made comedies, thrillers,and of course westerns of quality. He was able to get the best out of many actors.
After seeing John Wayne's work in "Red River" John Ford remarked: "I didn't know the big galoot could act." Wayne was worried about his career; he had reached an age where he believed his career might be in decline. His portrayal of John Y. Chance was a bridge to later works like "TheMan Who Shot Liberty Valence" and "The Shootist." This was Ward Bond's last feature film. Walter Brennan's performance as Stumpy is one of his last and best.
Dean Martin wanted this role badly. He had success with Jerry Lewis, but he wanted to establish himself on his own. Angie Dickenson Feathers) was making her first film after an undistinguished career in TV. She was only 26 to Wayne's 51. Wayne was worried that the romantic scenes would seem stilted. Hawks used Wayne's diffidence to advantage. Dickenson was the aggressor in the romantic scenes.

Ricky Nelson wasn't the first choice; Hawks wanted Elvis. Still Nelson was a teen star known both for his music and his work on Ozzie and Harriet. Hawks later said the Nelson added 2 million dollars to the box office. Nelson turned18 during filming. He received a present of several bags of cow dung. He was thrown into the dung. His screen name was Colorado. He was a hired gun who initially didn't want to get involved in the Sherrif's problems. John T.Chance didn't want help from amateurs.

The problems begin when Dude (Dean Martin) is desperately trying to find a drink. Clause Akins throws a silver dollar into a spittoon. When Dude tries to retrieve it, chaos ensues. An unarmed man is shot and Burdett (Akins) is taken into custody. Stumpy is guarding the jai;, but Chance must deal with Dude's alcoholism, Feather's advances, the death of a friend (Ward Bond), Nathan Burdett's attempts to get his brother out of jail, and enlist the help of Colorado. The US Marshall won't come for 6 days. Wayne has surprisingly little dialogue, he leads by his presence. People are drawn to him. He needs the help of others, but he doesn't ask. In fact he discourages most people; he tells Feathers to leave on the stage.

This template worked so well that Hawks made two virtual remakes: "El Dorado" and "Rio Lobo". I hesitate to mention this, but thisfilm is often considered in relation to "High Noon." If you read about either film; you are likely to become aware of what amounts to a political conflict. I prefer to focus on the film. It is a classic Western. The elements come together brilliantly. Few films have stood the test of time as well. We have lost our myths. Later westerns play with the myths; print the legend. Rooster Cogburn is in a sense almost a parody of John T. Chance. I couldn't find a free streaming option, but it is widely available. This is one of Hawk's best efforts. Enjoy!

Reaction Score
"Rio Bravo"-1959-Howard Hawks

Hawks was living in Europe. His last film had been a failure. He was nervous about returning to work. He threw up on the set the first day. He had assembled a crew of pros: Tomkin as composer, Russell Harlan as cinematographer, and Leigh Brackett as one of the writers. When Hawks first hired her for "Red River" he was surprised that she was a woman. She was a talent; her last work before her death was a first draft of "The Empire Strikes Back." Hawks was a versatile director; he made comedies, thrillers,and of course westerns of quality. He was able to get the best out of many actors.
After seeing John Wayne's work in "Red River" John Ford remarked: "I didn't know the big galoot could act." Wayne was worried about his career; he had reached an age where he believed his career might be in decline. His portrayal of John Y. Chance was a bridge to later works like "TheMan Who Shot Liberty Valence" and "The Shootist." This was Ward Bond's last feature film. Walter Brennan's performance as Stumpy is one of his last and best.
Dean Martin wanted this role badly. He had success with Jerry Lewis, but he wanted to establish himself on his own. Angie Dickenson Feathers) was making her first film after an undistinguished career in TV. She was only 26 to Wayne's 51. Wayne was worried that the romantic scenes would seem stilted. Hawks used Wayne's diffidence to advantage. Dickenson was the aggressor in the romantic scenes.

Ricky Nelson wasn't the first choice; Hawks wanted Elvis. Still Nelson was a teen star known both for his music and his work on Ozzie and Harriet. Hawks later said the Nelson added 2 million dollars to the box office. Nelson turned18 during filming. He received a present of several bags of cow dung. He was thrown into the dung. His screen name was Colorado. He was a hired gun who initially didn't want to get involved in the Sherrif's problems. John T.Chance didn't want help from amateurs.

The problems begin when Dude (Dean Martin) is desperately trying to find a drink. Clause Akins throws a silver dollar into a spittoon. When Dude tries to retrieve it, chaos ensues. An unarmed man is shot and Burdett (Akins) is taken into custody. Stumpy is guarding the jai;, but Chance must deal with Dude's alcoholism, Feather's advances, the death of a friend (Ward Bond), Nathan Burdett's attempts to get his brother out of jail, and enlist the help of Colorado. The US Marshall won't come for 6 days. Wayne has surprisingly little dialogue, he leads by his presence. People are drawn to him. He needs the help of others, but he doesn't ask. In fact he discourages most people; he tells Feathers to leave on the stage.

This template worked so well that Hawks made two virtual remakes: "El Dorado" and "Rio Lobo". I hesitate to mention this, but thisfilm is often considered in relation to "High Noon." If you read about either film; you are likely to become aware of what amounts to a political conflict. I prefer to focus on the film. It is a classic Western. The elements come together brilliantly. Few films have stood the test of time as well. We have lost our myths. Later westerns play with the myths; print the legend. Rooster Cogburn is in a sense almost a parody of John T. Chance. I couldn't find a free streaming option, but it is widely available. This is one of Hawk's best efforts. Enjoy!

Howard Hawks and John Wayne made three excellent westerns together. My wife and I will watch "Red River", "Rio Bravo", and "El Dorado" whenever we come across them on television. "El Dorado" is certainly something of a remake of "Rio Bravo", and while I think "Rio Bravo" is the slightly better movie, "El Dorado" is more than entertaining on its own as well.

The opening scene of the movie with Dean Martin, Claude Atkins, and the spittoon is mentioned above, and it is an excellent opening sequence. One thing my wife and I like about it is that there there is no dialogue for a good portion of that opening sequence, and it works very well. That sequence has a nice silent movie quality to it.

While you might not expect it, I think Ricky Nelson does quite well with his performance in "Rio Bravo". One of our favorite scenes in "Rio Bravo" is the musical interlude shared by Nelson, Dean Martin, and Walter Brennan while holed up in the jail, with John Wayne as their audience.

Reaction Score
Howard Hawks and John Wayne made three excellent westerns together. My wife and I will watch "Red River", "Rio Bravo", and "El Dorado" whenever we come across them on television. "El Dorado" is certainly something of a remake of "Rio Bravo", and while I think "Rio Bravo" is the slightly better movie, "El Dorado" is more than entertaining on its own as well.

The opening scene of the movie with Dean Martin, Claude Atkins, and the spittoon is mentioned above, and it is an excellent opening sequence. One thing my wife and I like about it is that there there is no dialogue for a good portion of that opening sequence, and it works very well. That sequence has a nice silent movie quality to it.

While you might not expect it, I think Ricky Nelson does quite well with his performance in "Rio Bravo". One of our favorite scenes in "Rio Bravo" is the musical interlude shared by Nelson, Dean Martin, and Walter Brennan while holed up in the jail, with John Wayne as their audience.
Notice that Brennan and Wayne don't sing. I like the Angie Dickenson scenes.

Reaction Score
Notice that Brennan and Wayne don't sing. I like the Angie Dickenson scenes.

Brennan does play the harmonica in that scene and he does sing as part of the chorus. Like I said, Wayne is the audience for them all.

There is a lot of good stuff in Rio Bravo, and that definitely includes Angie Dickenson. Only regret is that Ward Bond gets killed off pretty early.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
"Osama"-Siddiq Barmak-2993

This is a brutal film. It was shot in Kabul after the Taliban had been pushed. Recent events like the mass murder of girls students by a bomb show us that 20 years of war and nation building haven't made substantial improvement. Leaving politics aside, let's return to the film. It was made for around $40 thousand using a single hand held camera and a cast selected from among local residents. Marina Godbhari, the 12 year old star, was found begging on the street. She could neither read nor write. He father was a musician, the Taliban outlawed music. She was paid $14 for her work on the film. The film had a WWG of around $4 million. Most of that went to foreign investors.

The film opens with thousands of women in blue burkhas protesting in the street. They want the opportunity to work. A generation of civil war and a war against Russian invaders had killed off a good portion of the men. Women are prevented from working by the Taliban. The girl and her mother are on the street, but not part of the protest. The protest is being filmed by a foreign journalist. We are led to believe he is American because he pays a beggar/con man street kid with a US dollar. The kid is twirling a smoking container claiming the container protects you from the evil eye.

Realizing that this may not be the type of intro which makes you resolve to see this film, I can tell you that this one streams for free on YouTube. The mother has a job in the local hospital as a nurse. BTW when immigrants from South Asia reach the US, it is quite common that they find work in medical. fields. This is particularly true for women. When I lived in Vernon there were around 20 Pakistani families in the area. The mothers most often worked in the hospital. If you watch cable news, you may have noticed how often the medical experts are females from South Asia. The head of the hospital says he has no money to pay her. Then the Taliban close the hospital.

This small family of three woman is desperate. They need a man to work and to support the family. The grandmother and mother decide to cut the girl's hair and dress her in male clothes and send her out to work. She is given the name Osama. She finds a job, but her masquerade is discovered when as a punishment she is hung in a well, When she is brought up; it is obvious that she has had a period. She is arrested and held for trial. The judge has several other cases to decide that day. He sentences a foreign cameraman to be shot, a woman to be buried up to the neck and stoned to death. Osama is pardoned, but she is given to an ancient Mullah who already mistreats his three wives. Among other things he locks them in from the outside world. He also has personal locks for each woman. The film ends with her rape. There is a final background shot of Osama jumping rope in front of faceless blue burkha clad woman.

No punches were pulled. The story s based on fragments the director heard. The practice of passing girls off as boys was common. The performances by non actors are pretty remarkable. Marina stands out; she has made at least a half dozen films since. This is a remarkable achievement considering the difficulties faced. It won numerous international prizes including a Golden Globe for best foreign film. I recommend it highly.

Reaction Score
Brennan does play the harmonica in that scene and he does sing as part of the chorus. Like I said, Wayne is the audience for them all.

There is a lot of good stuff in Rio Bravo, and that definitely includes Angie Dickenson. Only regret is that Ward Bond gets killed off pretty early.
YouTube has an excellent concert by Nelson in Chicago in 1985 shortly before he died in a plane crash. It has my favorite song of his "Garden Party."
This personal song has a solid message" "if you can't please everyone, you better please yourself.".

Reaction Score
"The Wicker Man"-Robin Hardy-1973

One British reviewer called this "The Citizen Kane of horror films." It stars TV's original "equalizer" Edward Woodward as Sargent Howie a mainland police officer brought in to investigate a disappearance of the young Rowan Morrison. The quality of the script attracted horror legend Christopher Lee who worked without pay. He was unhappy with his work for Hammer, and he wanted something more challenging. He worked to promote the film for free in both the UK and the USA. He contacted critics and arranged for them to see the film. Lionsgate was prepared to bury the film. No special showings were arranged for critics. Surprisingly after a poor showing at the box office, the film became a cult classic. Think "Shawshank Rebellion." When it came out in the mid 60's on tape it found new life. The back story of an isolated island practicing early pagan religion including ritual human sacrifice was intriguing. It helped that the film has a lot of sex and nudity.

Let me sketch the plot before going into the beliefs of the devotees. Howie is tasked with finding out what happened to the missing girl. He arrives at the island in a small seaplane which he has flown from the mainland. He has in his possession a photograph of the missing girl. He has difficulty getting ashore, but finally a row boat picks him up from the plane, He shows the picture to a group of men. They all deny recognizing the picture, and they maintain that they have never heard the name before. Sargent Howie is immediately suspicious. He grows even more suspicious when he discovers that the islanders worship the old Gods.

There is a cult called "The Burning Man" which holds ceremonies every year I believe in New Mexico. It attracts thousands. I mistakenly thought that this was related to that phenomenon. This was a first time viewing for me. As you should realize, I came to this film with no real background. The idea of a stranger coming into a closed community is hardly a new plot concept. How the plot proceeds is what determines the type of experience the stranger has. In this case the stranger is an official of the state. He comes to the island in an official capacity. Sargent Howie is also an individual with firmly held beliefs about religion and morality. He is a devout Christian. He is engaged to be married and he is still a virgin. The immorality of the island's paganism including but not limited to to public nudity and intercourse disgusts him. That and the impossibility of Rowan escaping from this island, leads him to believe that she is a victim of foul play.

He secures lodging at the Green Man pub, the local gathering spot. The ribald songs and provocative behavior of the patrons are unsettling. His dinner comes straight from cans on an island famous for its home grown produce. May Day is coming up, and Howie is dimly aware that thisis a significant holiday for many pagan cults. He goes to the library and reads up on pagan (druid) customs. He learns about human sacrifices to appease the Gods. He comes to believe that it is his moral duty to rescue Rowan. He suspects that she is destined to be a human sacrifice on May Day.

I'm not sure how many of you have seen the original "Equalizer" Woodward played the lead. He is former CIA and he decides to leave the agency. He places an add in the newspaper which gives his phone number and an offer to help when you have nowhere else to turn to. This show was a favorite of mine. There are more than a few similarities in Woodward's character in the two settings. The most obvious is the character's desire to set things right. In "The Equalizer" he knows how to help. In "The Wicker Man" he believes he can help, and it is his duty. However, he is pretty clueless. His presence on the island is the product of a complicated plot. Howie is to become the human sacrifice to appease the Gods. He has been out smarted at every step. Howie ends up in a cage inside a huge wicker man. Animals are in other cages. The man is set on fire. We hear Howie's screams. His faith hasn't saved him; does the fear and pain cause him to lose his faith? Will his death go unexamined?

The story is well developed. In addition to Woodward, Christopher Lee, the island's pagan Lord. Britt Eklund, the inn keeper's daughter, and Diane Cilentano, the school teacher and romantic partner of the Lord, deliver quality performances. Paul Giovanni deserves credit for an evocative score. Anthony Schaffer's script is clever, but not overly so. There is a free streaming version available on YouTube. Highly recommended, but not a real horror movie in my mind.

Reaction Score
"I, Tonya"-Craig Gillespie-2017

The film is based on a series of interviews Stephen Rogers did with the principals. It is difficult to know how much truth is told by the participants. Fortunately, the viewer is not being judged on his/her investigative skills. I was alive and grumbling in1994. I watched many of the ice skating contests portrayed. In that distant past ice skating was a big deal. The image that was celebrated was beautiful artistry; ballet comes to mind. Tonya Harding wasn't in the appropriate aesthetic mold.(I wasn't aware of this at the time. I was a passive watcher. The bashing of Nancy Kerrigan occurred just as TV had developed a 24 hour news cycle. In the stories Harding made an excellent villain. She claims that she was a victim. I felt an obligation to bring up these points, but our concern is the movie itself.

This is one of an increasing number of films with strong female protagonists. The stories of women have not been told, They have been background characters in men's stories. However, it is not wise to tilt at multiple windmills simultaneously. The acting particularly that of Margot Robbie (Tanya) and even better Allison Janney (Lavona Harding) is of the highest quality. Tonya is portrayed as someone who was abused, but who came through the experiences still combative. She tried to do it her way. She chose ZZ Top rather than Mozart for her music. She relied on athleticism rather than grace. Skating was her life, but she felt that judges and promoters didn't appreciate her efforts. She nursed grievances. Then came the incident. Nancy Kerrigan was injured by a blow to her thigh. The attack was planned by her "bodyguard" Shawn (Paul Hauser) and her ex-husband Jeff Gilhooly). Tonya had reached a pinnacle when she landed a triple axel in competition. The incident marked the end of her skating career, She was convicted of obstructing the prosecution, and her most important punishment was a life time ban from not only competitive skating, but also coaching.

This is a well made film and worth watching. Unfortunately, there is no free streaming. Recommended.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I’ve seen that movie a few times and I never realized that the female lead with Angie Dickinson. ?

Reaction Score
"La Notte"-Michaelngelo Antonioni-1961

This is another classic from my college years. It streams free on YouTube. This is the middle film of a trilogy" La Aventura. La Notte, Eclisse. Giovani Postono (Marcello Mastroianni) and his wife Lidia )Jeanne Moreau) go to visit his dying best friend Tomasso (Bernard Wicki) at the hospital. Tomasso, though he is in great pain, seems almost philosophical about his death. Tomasso's mother arrives after a six hour train trip. Giovani and Lidia leave to attend a launch party for Giovani's new novel. There is a phone call from the hospital which Lidia takes, Tomasso is dead. Lidia leaves the launch party and travels to their old neighborhood. She stops a young man from being beaten by his gang leader.

Lidia and Giovani re-unite and go to nightclub with dancing and a strange performance. This performance features a black female dancer who performs with a full glass of wine. The performance concludes with her drinking the wine without using her hands. Giovani remarks :"Life would be tolerable if not for its pleasures. Lidia asks: "Is that your idea?" Giovani replies: "no, I no longer have any ideas. Only memories"

This is a couple going through ritual motions; whatever they once had is dying if it is not dead. The go off to another party at a millionaire's house. "Every millionaire wants his own intellectual." Giovani flirts with the daughter of the millionaire (Monica Vitti). It starts raining guests jump in a swimming pool; Giovani stops Lidia. Giovani and the daughter try again with Lidia's encouragement.

At some point late in the evening, Lidia pulls out a folded page and reads it. It is a rather beautiful description of watching a woman sleep and meditating on the wonderful closeness of such a relationship. Giovani doesn't recognize this as his own work. Lidia later remarks: "He never talked about himself, only about me, me, me. I never understood why I thought so little of myself."

Nothing happens; Lidia doesn't jump in the pool. Giovani doesn't accept the millionaire's offer of a job. He never consummates the relationship with the girl. However, the couple discovers that even memories from when their relationship was vibrant are gone. Lidia wonders if she exists only in regard to Giovani. Will they go on in what has become a meaningless relationship?

Surprisingly, this makes an effective film. The acting is excellent. I particularly liked the hospital scene. I wonder why they didn't stay with their friend until the end. They go on to the launch party. Real versus artificial, are they avoiding the real? Yes, ostensibly they have a social/work obligation, but the death of their closest friend should trump that. Life has become senseless movement. This is not a journey; it is incoherent movement. Have they really stopped not only looking for meaning, but failing to recognize it even when it is thrust upon them? Highly recommended, but not for those all ready in a depressive state.

Reaction Score
"Union Pacific"-Cecil B. DeMille-1939

I was supposed to comment on this solid film, but there are really no options for viewing, never mind free streaming. This is a solid film with a very good cast: Akim Tamiroff, Brian Donlevy, Robert Preston, Joel McCrae, Anthony Quinn, and Barbara Stanwyck. It isn't historically accurate, try "Hell on Wheels" for a more realistic picture.

I came upon "Muscle Shoals" a 2013 documentary directed by Gregg "Freddie" Camalier. Muscle Shoals is a small town in Alabama on the Tennessee River. Rick Hall founded Fame Studios there. For a few years in the 60's and 70's it produced some of the best soul and rock music around. The list of artists who recorded in Muscle Shoals is magical: The Rolling Stones, Bob Seeger, Simon and Garfunkle, Lynard Skynard, Steve Winwood, Aretha Franklin, Chris Carter, Wilson Picket, Percy Sledge, and Etta James are among the major names who came to this small town. Hall had assembled a great rhythm section, the Swampers who are featured on some of the early hits. When Rick Hall and Jerry Wexler (Atlantic) had a falling out. The Swampers went off on their own and opened a second studio in Muscle Shoals.

The film shows vintage recording sessions, the music, and contemporary interviews. The central focus is on Rick Hall, but all the swampers get some camera time as do Keith Richard, Mick Jagger, Bono, and a raft of others. The first two thirds are great, the last third is good. I know Southern Soul pretty well,but many of the stories I never heard. One example is Wilson Pickett's cover of "Hey Jude" was the product of a famous rock guitarist's inspiration. He was hanging around the Fame studio playing sessions. He convinced Picket to do the cover, and his slide guitar is heard prominently on the recording.

Highly recommended and yes, there is free streaming on YouTube.

Reaction Score
"The Life of a King"-Jake Goldberger-2014

This is a solid little film starring Cuba Gooding as Eugene Brown who started an inner city chess club, The Big Chair Chess Club, is Washington D.C. Brown was a former convict; he started the club to helpat risk elementary students. In the movie he works with high school students. Gooding gives a very solid performance, and the teen actors offer fine support. Mention should be made of Lisa Gay Hamilton, Kevin Hendricks, and Malcolm Mays.
Dennis Haysbert and Richard T. Jones are recognizable adult actors. When Eugene emerges from prison, he gets a job as a janitor ata high school. When the principal finds out that he is an ex=con; he loses his job. He renovates a house and founds his Big Chair Chess Club. Students from the club do well in competitions. The mayor proclaims a Big Chair Chess Club Day. In the movie there is considerably more drama. I admit I like these underdog movies. If you have Cable this is on Crackle. It is also on IMdB and You Tube.

There is a TV movie "Knights of the South Bronx" starring Ted Danson as a chess teacher in the South Bronx. This is truer than the Gooding movie. David MacEnulty actually did teach chess at a school in the Bronx. His students won not only local but national honors. As often happens MacEnulty ended his teaching career at an elite prep school, Dalton This is similar to what happened to the Edward James Olmos character in "Stand and Deliver." "Knights of the South Bronx" is on YouTube. Both films are worth viewing, but I like "Knights" a little more.

Reaction Score
"Karate Kid"-John Avildsen-1984

Avildsen is best known for "Rocky", but this film was a huge box office success. It returned more than eleven times its budget of 8 million dollars. The film was the idea of producer Joel Weintraub. He heard a story about a skinny kid who became a karate champion. None of the principals were first choices. Macchio who played the teenage Danie Russo was actually 22; he looks younger than 18. Elisabeth Shue was 20and a student Harvard. Pat Morita was a comedian that Weintraub didn't want to test. He was nominated for an Oscar .The film's theme was supposed to be used in Rocky 3, but it was shelved in favor of "Eye of the Tiger." The sequels followed, the last with a new (female protagonist. There was a re-make in 2019 with Jackie Chan starring. In 2018 a TV shoe Cobra Kai began. Macchio appears in the series.

At Moritaa's funeral in2010 Macchio called him sensei. You probably have seen the film, but a little plot business to refresh memories. Daniel's mother gets a job in California. So She (Rhonda Heller) and Daniel drive to California. There new home is apartment #17. Daniel hates his new life. It turns out that building manager/janitor is Mr. Miyagi. We meet him trimming bonsai trees. he becomes Daniel's teacher and protector. Who can forget "wax on, wax off?" Miyagi trains Daniel in Karate. Daniel has run afoul with a group of thugs from the Cobra Kai studios who make his life miserable. Elisabeth Shue plays Ali Daniel's love interest. Miyagi is introduced slowly, but Pat Morita dominates every scene he is in. Morita spoke perfect English, Morita modeled his accent and movements on his Uncle. The karate style was modeled on master Fumo Demura.

Miyagi has an interesting back story. He came to America from Okinawa before WW II. He served in the famous 442 Regimental Combat Team in WW II winning a Congressional Medal of Honor. One of his famous activities is attempting to catch a fly with chop sticks. The film builds toa conclusion at a karate tournament. This is still a fun watch; it's available on Comcast (AMC) until the end of the month. Highly recommended for family viewing.

Reaction Score
"The Young Lions"-Edward Dymytrk-1958

I saw this film when it first came out, and I liked it. I don't think I watched it again for 60 years. The film is based on Irwin Shaw's novel. Shaw based his novel on his wartime experiences as a warrant officer in WWII. The script was changed from the novel by Edward Anhalt. The most important changes concern Marlin Brando's character. Brando portrays Christian Diestel, an Austrian ski instructor turned army officer. In the opening scenes in the film set in 1938, Christian feels that Hitler will lift up the German people and the country. This is after German/Austrian Union. The film skips ahead several years; Christian is now a Lieutenant in the army stationed in Paris. He serves under Captain Hardenberg a member of the military aristocracy. Even this early Christian shows signs that he is not all in on blind obedience. Hardenberg (Max Schell) states that the German army is the greatest in the world because they always obey orders no matter how disturbing. This was Schell's first English speaking role, supposedly he had to learn his speeches phonetically because he had little or no English. His performance makes that hard to believe. With Brando the first thing you notice is his blonde hair. I'm willing to accept that, but I have trouble believing that a lower middle class ski instructor becomes a German officer.

Across the ocean, hundreds of men are being drafted. We meet Noah Ackerman (Montgomery Clift) and Michael Whittacre (Dean Martin) at an induction physical. Ackerman is a mason; Whittacre is something on Broadway, most likely a producer although that is never stated. This was Martin's first dramatic role. This is a decent performance, but not up to the quality of the other major performers. Whittacre doesn't want to serve; he uses influential friends to try and help him. Ackerman accepts his lot. The two strike up an unlikely friendship which continues through the war.

Clift was an alcholic and a drug abuser by this time, still this is a fine performance. Clift was a one take actor, Brando was famous for demanding multiple takes. Fortunatrly they have no scenes together until Brando is dead. Dymytrk does an excellent job managing a difficult group of actors and an unwieldy script. He was an exemplar of the solid studio director, but given the right materials he could produce excellence like :The Caine Mutiny."
This is an excellent Memorial Day choice free streaming is available. Highly recommended, this is a very enjoyable film which asks some interesting questions.

Reaction Score
"Terminator 2: Judgement Day"-James Cameron-1991

The first film in this series came out in 1984. It was low budget, but very high impact. Why it took seven years to make the sequel isn't clear, but this film is a wonder. Arnold was given a plane as a gift above and beyond his salary which cost more than the entire original film did. Surprisingly, shooting approached without a full treatment much less a shooting script. It took almost 8 months compared to 8 weeks for the original to film. BTW there is free streaming on 123 movies. This was a punishing film to make. The principals were rarely covered; Linda Hamilton lost hearing in one ear due to a shotgun blast in an elevator. It should be mentioned that she took out her ear plug when she went to the bathroom. Arnold injured his hand badly shooting while riding the motorcycle.

This film takes us back to Jon Connors childhood; he is supposed to be 10. 12 would have been better, Edward Furlong's voice was changing during the film. His mother, Sarah, is in a mental institution. Jon despises his foster parents. The machines plan to kill him; they send back a new generation terminator, T-1000 (Robert Patrick) to dot he job. The resistance sends back a re-programed Terminator to protect Jon. Naturally, it is the same model which was sent to kill Sarah in The Terminator. This is one of the few times in movie history that the same character is the villain in one film and the hero in the sequel. Surprisingly, it is the machine who shows the most character development. He figures out a way to defeat his programing. He tells Sarah how to kill him. Sarah is fierce in her determination to avert the disaster which kills 3 million and the ensuing war with the machines. It is her son Jon who instinctively knows that killing is wrong. He stops a terminator from terminating, and he saves his mother from killing the scientist whose work will lead to conscious machines.

The action is non stop, but it has a purpose. Rarely in movie history has an action film been so solidly underpinned by both logic and emotion. This is a must see. I have been sketchy with plot details because there may be someone who hasn't seen this film. Remedy that deficiency today. For the rest of us ;each new viewing will reward you. This film merits its very high ratings from audiences and critics. Enjoy.

Reaction Score
"The French Connection"-William Friedkin-1971

This film started off as a mutt. It was an adaptation of a book so bad that Friedkin couldn't finish it. Friedkin didn't want either Gene Hackman or Fernando Ray. He didn't like Hackman for the role, and he thought Ray was another actor when he hired him. The movie is based on the true story of Eddy Egan and his partner. They busted the the record for heroin busts. Ernest Tidyman wrote the script. He was hired on the basis of his novel "Shaft." The film ended up being nominated for 8 Oscars winning 5 (Picture, Director, Actor, Script, and Editing). It began with a budget of 1.5 million; they went $300,000 over budget. The studio went bonkers. The two executives who found the money at Fox, were gone. Fortunately, the film's US gross was 51.7 million.

Most of you have probably seen this film, but if you're like me, probably not recently. It's on Prime. It made Hackman a star. Friedkin made "The Exorcist" and "The Sorcerer" ( a remake of the French film "Wages of Fear.") The Popeye Doyle character was a tough fit for Hackman. There is no doubt that Doyle is a racist thug. The banter of ethnic slurs, doesn't play well today. However, that was Eddie Egan even down to the toe picking. There was no super car subway chase, and there were no real shoot outs. Egan said that he only fired his gun four times in his career.

Roy Scheider, Buddy Russo, had a solid movie career; "Jaws" is one of his better known roles. Fernando Ray found roles on both sides of the Atlantic.
Tony lo Bianco (Sal Bocca) had a solid career on both TV and in the movies. The film was shot without sets. The famous chase sequence was shot without permits. Some of the crashes are real. The events portrayed in the film took place a decade earlier, but a decision was made to set the film a decade later. That way they didn't have to worry about background changes.

Everything works. The story is complicated, but the details are both true and realistic. This was a gritty look at narcotics before the war on drugs(real life) and setting it in the 70's made it a view of the problem rarely seen. Very highly recommended.

Reaction Score
"The Man from Elysian Fields"-George Hickenlooper-2001

Elysian Fields is the home of dead heroes in Greek Mythology. It isn't quite heaven, that's where the Gods live, but it is still pretty nice. When the name is applied to a high class male escort; confusing messages are sent. This is a talky movie which probably isn't for everyone, still the premise is intriguing: an intelligent cultured married man, in love with his wife, takes a job as an escort to support his family when his career as a novelist fails.
Byron (Andy Garcia) tries to go back to his old career in advertising., but he has burned that bridge. Luther (Mick Jagger) signs him up for Elysian Fields. The clients are high class and demanding. Byron deceives his wife Dana (Julianna Marguiles better know for her TV work "The Good Wife") as he goes about his new profession.

Byron's first client is the wife of a distinguished Pulitizer Prize winning novelist, Alcott (James Coburn). He is much older than his wife and his health is failing. His one remaining goal is to write a final novel which will be worthy of his career and reputation. Byron services the wife and helps to complete the novel before Alcott's death. The job ends, and the wife refuses to let Byron receive any credit because that would diminish Alcott's reputation.

His wife finds out about his straying. Byron leaves Elysian Fields, but his marriage s over, and he faces a very uncertain future. The acting is excellent, and the dialogue is crisp and pointed. This available on Amazon Prime.

Reaction Score
"The French Connection"-William Friedkin-1971

This film started off as a mutt. It was an adaptation of a book so bad that Friedkin couldn't finish it. Friedkin didn't want either Gene Hackman or Fernando Ray. He didn't like Hackman for the role, and he thought Ray was another actor when he hired him. The movie is based on the true story of Eddy Egan and his partner. They busted the the record for heroin busts. Ernest Tidyman wrote the script. He was hired on the basis of his novel "Shaft." The film ended up being nominated for 8 Oscars winning 5 (Picture, Director, Actor, Script, and Editing). It began with a budget of 1.5 million; they went $300,000 over budget. The studio went bonkers. The two executives who found the money at Fox, were gone. Fortunately, the film's US gross was 51.7 million.

Most of you have probably seen this film, but if you're like me, probably not recently. It's on Prime. It made Hackman a star. Friedkin made "The Exorcist" and "The Sorcerer" ( a remake of the French film "Wages of Fear.") The Popeye Doyle character was a tough fit for Hackman. There is no doubt that Doyle is a racist thug. The banter of ethnic slurs, doesn't play well today. However, that was Eddie Egan even down to the toe picking. There was no super car subway chase, and there were no real shoot outs. Egan said that he only fired his gun four times in his career.

Roy Scheider, Buddy Russo, had a solid movie career; "Jaws" is one of his better known roles. Fernando Ray found roles on both sides of the Atlantic.
Tony lo Bianco (Sal Bocca) had a solid career on both TV and in the movies. The film was shot without sets. The famous chase sequence was shot without permits. Some of the crashes are real. The events portrayed in the film took place a decade earlier, but a decision was made to set the film a decade later. That way they didn't have to worry about background changes.

Everything works. The story is complicated, but the details are both true and realistic. This was a gritty look at narcotics before the war on drugs(real life) and setting it in the 70's made it a view of the problem rarely seen. Very highly recommended.
I agree with pretty much everything you have written. However, the is large omission in this review. The true genius of this film is in the editing. The car chase became the model for films that is still used today. The pace and use of moving cameras, fast cuts wides shots, close ups, reflective surfaces, introduced an element of action and tension that was worthy of the Academy Award which the editor received. The entire film is edited to keep the audience on edge and succeeds completely. The French Connection was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress being culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant. When the movie came out a friend of mine -who sat through it numerous times-said there was not a scene over 17 seconds in the entire picture. Don't know if that's true but it's what he said. Anyone who wants to become film editor should watch this film.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree with pretty much everything you have written. However, the is large omission in this review. The true genius of this film is in the editing. The car chase became the model for films that is still used today. The pace and use of moving cameras, fast cuts wides shots, close ups, reflective surfaces, introduced an element of action and tension that was worthy of the Academy Award which the editor received. The entire film is edited to keep the audience on edge and succeeds completely. The French Connection was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress being culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant. When the movie came out a friend of mine -who sat through it numerous times-said there was not a scene over 17 seconds in the entire picture. Don't know if that's true but it's what he said. Anyone who wants to become film editor should watch this film.
I should have mentioned the editing beyond the Oscar reference. I don't think this is the only bit of genius.

Reaction Score
"Scent of a Woman"-Martin Britt-1992

This was Pacino's Oscar winning role. I was surprised at how highly the film is ranked on IMdB. I hadn't viewed this film in years, but critically the film is often the victim of faint praise. Pacino plays Col. Frank Slade a 26 year military veteran. When the film opens he is totally blind. He is living with his niece's family in New Hampshire. The family wants to spend Thanksgiving with relatives, Pacino doesn't want to go. His niece puts up an ad on the bulletin board at the Baird School. The ad is answered by Charlie Simms (Chris O'Donnell best known for his work on NCIS LA0. Charlie is a scholarship senior who takes the job to make money so he can return home for Christmas. The film is the story of the relationship which develops between the two over the long weekend. Colonel Slade is planning to commit suicide, and Charlie is facing expulsion from Baird unless he snitches of fellow students who play a very nasty prank on the Headmaster.

The film is remembered for some great set pieces. My favorite is the tango sequence. Slade instructs a young woman, Donna (Gabrielle Anwar) in the tango despite his blindness. He later test drives a Ferrari. The there is the struggle where Charlie fights to keep Col. Slade from committing suicide. The film ends with Col. Slade coming to the defense of Charlie in a public trial before an assembly of all the Baird community. Pacino can be self indulgent, but he also takes some real chances as an actor. The scenes between Slade and Charlie are very well done. O'Donnell's performance is under rated. The script by Bo Goldman (One Flew Overt he CucKoo's Nest, and Melvin and Howard) is excellent. Just one example; when the two principals finally arrive back in New Hampshire; Slade pays Charlie the agreed upon $300 fee. During the entire film Slade has been trying to bribe Charlie with more money. Go away and let me commit suicide and I'll give you big bucks. The payment of $300 is a sign of respect.

My only real caveat is length. However, that is a minor quibble. Very highly recommended available on Prime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom