Films Worth Viewing Year 2 | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Films Worth Viewing Year 2

Reaction Score
"Beauty and the Beast:-Jeanne Cocteau-1946

Yarders who have taken film courses, or who see films in an arthouse setting, may well have seen this film. I own the Janus Film (early Criterion) DVD. This is the version available for free streaming. Criterion did another re-issue in 2010. This has many extras, and a version with a replacement of the dialogue with singing. It becomes an opera. I haven't seen that version. I have problems with sound on the Janus version. I still use the subtitles. It has been pointed out that the subtitles often only approximate the French dialogue. My best example of this is actually in a written introduction which appears after the credits. The translation appears as: "Once upon a time..." The literal French is :"Il etait une fois...". That is more properly translated :"There was a time..."

The first appearance of this fairy tale in print is in a French novel in the late 17th century. A shorter version appeared in the second half of the 18th century. It is this version which Cocteau adapts. This is the version used even in early silent films thru Disney. A young girl replaces her father. In this particular version her father steals a rose to give to his daughter Belle. The Beast is going to put him to death, but he will allow the shipowner to live if one of his three daughters will come to the Chateau to take his place. Belle assumes the burden. She is initially frightened, but she masters her fears, and she becomes friendly with the Beast. The Beast allows her to return home to visit her family. She must return in a week. The wealth is coveted by her two sisters, her brother, and the young man, Avenant (Jean Marais) Belle loves. Belle returns and saves the Beasts life. Avenant is turned into a Beast. The Beast is turned into a Prince who looks like Avenant. He had been cursed; the curse is removed when Belle shows she loves him.

The eternal moral of this story is that you can't judge a book by its cover. The reaction to the film is exemplified by Marlene Dietrich's demand to give us back the Beast. Jean Marais played three roles: The Beast, Avenant, and the Prince. Cocteau deliberately made the Prince kind of a jerk. Avenant is the bad boy type that many young women fall for. If there is a hero in this fantasy; it should be Belle. Who brings out the inner good in the Beast? Who honors her obligations? Yet, it is the Beast who captivates.

I don't want to talk about the visual impact except to say that the special effects were considered to be brilliant at the time. The production was hampered by post war shortages. The costumes were state of the art; they were designed by Pierre Cardin of the coutoure house of Lanvin. The film was scraps; the cameras were old, and electric power was a some times thing. The Beast was constructed in such a way That Marais could only eat gruel while in costume.

The credits were written on a chalkboard. Which was erased between credits, talk about low tech. I felt that the film has not aged as well as some other films from that era. However, films in the 21st century have available techniques that were not even dreamed of then. This is an enormously influential film. In Europe the dominant movement was realism; this film makes no bones about being a fantasy. Disney thought about making an animated version for years before his version was actually made.

This remains a landmark film. Cocteau believed that fairy tales and legends reveal truths. The truths depicted in neo-realistic films are momentary. The truths of myths are timeless.

Reaction Score
"1917"-Sam Mendes-2019

Surprisingly, there are several options for free streaming. The extras on the DVD are excellent. They focus on how the film was made. They are essential for film nerds. No film was ever more carefully prepared. The film was very personal for the director. His grandfather was a runner in WWI. Stories his grandfather told him form both the emotional and practical foundation for the film. Mendes wrote the film with Krysty Wilson Cairns. The music was timed to the action. In some cases the score was played while the scenes were shot. All of this is interesting, but really what matters most is how it plays. This is an excellent film. I wish I had seen it in a theater.

The story is deceptively simple. It takes place over one 24 hour period. It begins on April 6th, 1917. That is the day the US declared war on Germany. That plays no part in the film; it is unlikely that front line troops even became aware of that event for several days. The Germans made a strategic withdrawal on the Western Front.
They fell back to the Hinderberg line. This was much more heavily fortified than their previous line. They hoped
that the Allies would attack; they had carefully constructed a trap. This operation was called Alberich. Two battalions of British troops were scheduled to make a mass attack at dawn on April 7th. The British High Command became aware of the German plan due to aerial reconnaissance. There was a problem with warning the forward troops, telephonic communications had been cut. Runners were sent with orders to stop the attack.
The runners selected were Lance Corporals Blake (Dean Charles Clamptin) and Schofield (George Mckay). Blake's older brother was an officer in one of the battalions set to attack. They had to move through their trenches and through a break in the wire, and then across no man's land, through a break in the wire into the empty German lines. From there they had to reach a village and then a small forest to the British forward lines where the letter/command to stop the attack would be delivered. The film follows their trip supposedly in real time. It appears as if it is a single shot, but of course that isn't the case. The actors rehearsed their movements for six months before filming. The cinematographer, Roger Deakins won a well deserved Oscar.

Mendes was influenced by "Paths of Glory" the Kirk Douglas film about the French soldiers strike in WWI. He saw this when he was ten. The ending of "1917" has the mission being only a partial success. The initial attack had already taken place, but Schofield was able to stop the second wave. The journey begins and ends under a tree.

It is reasonable to ask how historically accurate is the film. They were meticulous in designing the trenches. The German withdrawal is fact. There were Indian soldiers serving on the Western Front. This particular mission by the runners may have happened, but others like it did happen. My only quibble is that before the mission begins, the runners look too clean. Finally, is this an anti war picture? It certainly isn't pro-war. There is a sense of futility. This disastrous attack was partially stopped, but there were others. The war went on for another year and a half. Millions more died. The war to end all wars was followed only 20 years later by an even more destructive war.

We toss around the term unforgettable, but for me the image of Schofield running across the front lines desperately trying to stop the attack clears that hurdle. He hits several attacking soldiers, that wasn't planned. He is desperate to make a difference. This film sets a standard for realism by which war films will be judged. Kudos to all those involved. This is definitely worth watching multiple times.

Reaction Score
"Beauty and the Beast:-Jeanne Cocteau-1946

Yarders who have taken film courses, or who see films in an arthouse setting, may well have seen this film. I own the Janus Film (early Criterion) DVD. This is the version available for free streaming. Criterion did another re-issue in 2010. This has many extras, and a version with a replacement of the dialogue with singing. It becomes an opera. I haven't seen that version. I have problems with sound on the Janus version. I still use the subtitles. It has been pointed out that the subtitles often only approximate the French dialogue. My best example of this is actually in a written introduction which appears after the credits. The translation appears as: "Once upon a time..." The literal French is :"Il etait une fois...". That is more properly translated :"There was a time..."

The first appearance of this fairy tale in print is in a French novel in the late 17th century. A shorter version appeared in the second half of the 18th century. It is this version which Cocteau adapts. This is the version used even in early silent films thru Disney. A young girl replaces her father. In this particular version her father steals a rose to give to his daughter Belle. The Beast is going to put him to death, but he will allow the shipowner to live if one of his three daughters will come to the Chateau to take his place. Belle assumes the burden. She is initially frightened, but she masters her fears, and she becomes friendly with the Beast. The Beast allows her to return home to visit her family. She must return in a week. The wealth is coveted by her two sisters, her brother, and the young man, Avenant (Jean Marais) Belle loves. Belle returns and saves the Beasts life. Avenant is turned into a Beast. The Beast is turned into a Prince who looks like Avenant. He had been cursed; the curse is removed when Belle shows she loves him.

The eternal moral of this story is that you can't judge a book by its cover. The reaction to the film is exemplified by Marlene Dietrich's demand to give us back the Beast. Jean Marais played three roles: The Beast, Avenant, and the Prince. Cocteau deliberately made the Prince kind of a jerk. Avenant is the bad boy type that many young women fall for. If there is a hero in this fantasy; it should be Belle. Who brings out the inner good in the Beast? Who honors her obligations? Yet, it is the Beast who captivates.

I don't want to talk about the visual impact except to say that the special effects were considered to be brilliant at the time. The production was hampered by post war shortages. The costumes were state of the art; they were designed by Pierre Cardin of the coutoure house of Lanvin. The film was scraps; the cameras were old, and electric power was a some times thing. The Beast was constructed in such a way That Marais could only eat gruel while in costume.

The credits were written on a chalkboard. Which was erased between credits, talk about low tech. I felt that the film has not aged as well as some other films from that era. However, films in the 21st century have available techniques that were not even dreamed of then. This is an enormously influential film. In Europe the dominant movement was realism; this film makes no bones about being a fantasy. Disney thought about making an animated version for years before his version was actually made.

This remains a landmark film. Cocteau believed that fairy tales and legends reveal truths. The truths depicted in neo-realistic films are momentary. The truths of myths are timeless.

I have the same Criterion DVD as you. I haven't watched this film in many years, but I have to say that the imagery from this film is so amazing that it just gets stuck in your mind.

Reaction Score
"Jackie"-Pablo Larrain-2016

With the exception of a brief re-creation of her White House CBS television tour, this film focuses on five days in the life of Jackie Kennedy. The film opens with a close-up of Jackie. It is memorable for the sense of pain she radiates. The she is confronted with a journalist interviewing/confronting her about the events of 11/22/63.
The journalist (Billy Cruddup) is un-named, but he is a stand-in for the real life Theodore H. White who did a famous interview for "Life." The film jump cuts from scenes in Dallas to interview questions to preparations for the funeral to conversations with a priest to fights with Bobby and round and round again.

In my previous comment, "1917" there was a linear progression from the time the runners get their orders to the time one reaches the Devons. "Jackie" ends with a second visit to Arlington to bury two bodies beside their father. These were Jackie's children who didn't survive.

These events are still present in the memories of Americans who were alive to see these events on TV, That is true even if they were not in the US at the time. In my case I was a Fiubright Scholar in Ceylon. So I didn't see the TV in real time, but I have seen all the pictures dozens of times. The script is by Noah Oppenheim. It bounced around for years. It was first rumored to be the basis of an HBO mini-series directed by Spielberg.
Darren Arranovsky became attached to the project. He recruited Lorrain. Lorrain, a well known Chilean director, would do the film only if Natalie Portman would take the lead role.

Many critics had a problem with this film. It is my belief that many of these critics were not satisfied with this film because it is not the film they would have made about these events. I believe that Lorrain tried to make a film which would give us Jackie's experience and understanding of the events. There are the externals, and then they were the internals. How can a filmmaker know what a real life character experiences a series of events? What they say at any moment is likely to be only part of the picture. In the interview sometimes Jackie reveals something, then she says the journalist can't use it. We see Jackie amidst the terrible happenings often unsure, but finally creating a myth. The myth is Camelot.

All the critics praised Portman's performance. Peter Sarasgaard's performance as Bobby Kennedy drew praise.
I liked Greta Gerwig as Nancy. You have to respect the work of the costumers and the art department. There was 23 days of shooting in Paris in a meticulously constructed 1963 White House. Then there were 10 daysof shooting in DC and Baltimore. Jackie remarks: "The life of the characters we read on the page becomes more
real than the characters who stand beside it." This quote is capable of multiple interpretations. One might be
the picture we get of Jackie in this move is more real to us than what really happened. Or perhaps, the characters standing beside the words are statues. The words bring them to life. I believe that Lorrain was trying to liberate Jackie from the polished exterior. The frequent cutting is supposed to represent internal chaos.

I liked this film a lot more than I thought I would. This is a film which drew me inside. It is available to stream for free. I think that it is not for all tastes, but I recommend it very highly..

Reaction Score
"In the Heat of the Night"-Norman Jewison-1967

This film was made over 50 years ago. Certain viewers find the black v white motif dated. I wonder if in our current situation they would feel the same. I think the the performances of the two central characters Virgil Tibbs (Sidney Poitier) and Sheriff Gillespie (Rod Steiger) are more nuanced then they are often characterized.
Tibbs admits that he was distracted by his disdain of the Southern Planter orchid grower. He wanted him to be guilty. Gillespie knows early on that he lacks Tibbs' experience with homicide cases. He backslides repeatedly, but there is the telling scene where he invites Tibbs into his home.

There are a few missteps like the instance where Tibbs is unaware that there may be no motel which would accept him. He is visiting his mother; it is difficult to believe that he wouldn't be aware of local conditions. The script was by Sterling Silliphant, well known for his TV writing from a novel by John Ball. Is Gillespie a trope?
He was directed to model his character on the Dodge sheriff. He followed that to an extent. Then there is the gum chewing. His pride gets in his way; he doesn't like admitting that someone else is better at his job. He comes to realize that he and Tibbs have much in common. Tibbs suffers from pride, and he isn't above needling
Gillespie. Remember the sequence where he sets up the visit to the Black female abortionist? He says it is where Whitey can't go. When the case is finally solved and Virgil Tibbs is leaving for Philadelphia; Gillespie carries his bag. Gillespie says: "You take care y'hear. Tibbs only replies with a "Yeah." I've often thought that the next time Tibbs visited his mother, he might give Gillespie a call. Unfortunately, the sequels are set in San Francisco. There was a TV series by the same name which I remember as being decent and set in Mississippi.

This is a very well made film. Haskell Wexler figured out night lighting which would better compliment Poitier's dark skin. Quincy Jones created a first rate score. He wrote the title song which is performed by Ray Charles. My only problem with the film was I felt the ending and the exposing of the killer was a little rushed.
Why did Steiger win the Oscar for his performance? One reason may be Poitier was also nominated for Guess Who is Coming to Dinner." I hadn't watched this in years, but you should view this film (again?). This is a classic, don't let the naysayers tell you it is dated, it isn't. Available on Prime.

Reaction Score
western interlude

"The Missing"-Ron Howard-2003

I liked this film better than its many critics. It'is set in New Mexico in 1885. A widow, Cate Blanchett, lives on a ranch with her two daughters. In addition to running the ranch, she is known as a healer. She has a sexual relationship with one of her employees. He never sleeps over inthe house when she has visitors. Her father, Tommie Lee Jones, left the family several decades before. He went to live with the Apache and he even took another wife. He arrives unannounced at the ranch. The reunion goes badly, he goes into town and spends the night in jail drunk.

Her two daughters and the two ranch hands go off to tend to the herd. A marauding part of Apaches hit them, The men are killed, and the elder daughter is abducted. The younger daughter hides and she is discovered by her mother the next morning. She goes to town for help. She discovers that the Apaches have left the reservation and they have hit several other farms. The sheriff says that it is the cavalry's problem, Unfortunately, they are searching in the wrong direction. Cate secures the release of her father, and together with her younger daughter they began tracking the band. It turns out that the band have several renegade whites, and that they plan to sell the women in Mexico. The initial plan is to attempt to buy back Cate's daughter. The leader of the band, Eric Schweig, is a brujo (witch); he is the embodiment of evil.

The two heroic figures are both flawed. Blanchet is unwilling to accept help, and she is unwilling to change her attitude toward her father. Tommy Lee Jones offers no real explanation as to why he left his family. The younger daughter wins him over. The reason for his return was because what a medicine man told him. Success appears unlikely, but they continue.

I didn't find the length a problem. The story has an urgent forward motion. There is a lot of violence, much of it pretty graphic. The brujo is unrelenting. It turns that the Apaches in the band were army scouts. There were a few plot holes, but they didn't bother me. I realize that opinions were split, many viewers think the film sucks. The performances of Schweig, Jones, and Blanchett are top flight. I found the story interesting, so for me it's a solid recommendation. It's available for free streaming.

Reaction Score
"Geronimo: An American Legend"-Walter Hill-1993

Geronimo is one of the most divisive characters in Western History. This film presents a positive view of this Apache leader. It has an excellent cast: Wes Studi, Jason Patric, Matt Damon, Robert Duval, and Gene Hackman.
The story and script were by John Miles. The US government decided to put all Apaches on reservations and force them to become farmers. The job of getting all the Apaches on reservations was given to General George Crook (Gene Hackman). He is initially successful. He sends Lt. Gatewood to find Geronimo, the last holdout and
convince him to come in voluntarily. Gatewood (Patric) along with green Lt. Davis (Matt Damon) and an Apache scout and Seiber (Robert Duval) head of the scouts complete the mission. Davis narrates the story, and he later goes to supervise the reservation. The life is hard, the land is poor; so the Apaches become dependent on government supplies. Some Apaches are not happy on the reservation, the army blames a medicine man. There is a confrontation and some of the Apache guides revolt, soldiers are killed. Geronimo takes a group off the reservation. Attacks on the local white population follow. General Crook is forced out; influential people in Washington believe he is pro Apache. He is replaced by General Giles. He tries for half a year to capture Geronimo with no success. He turns to Lt. Gatewood to find Geronimo and make him an offer. He and his band will accept two years of exile in Florida; then they will be allowed to return to the reservation. Gatewood suspects the duplicity of the government, but he follows orders. The government never planned to honor the agreement; Geronimo spends the last 20+ years of his life in prison in Florida. All Apache scouts are dismissed from the army. Those scouts from Geronimo's tribe are sent to Florida.

It is not without interest that the Supreme Court recently found tHe US in treaty violation in Oklahoma. I can't think of an instance where the government kept its word to Native Americans. Studi is terrific as Geronimo. His crimes are Understandable because of the government's bad faith. Whether you accept this reasoning or not is up to you. This is well filmed by an experienced director of westerns. It is available to stream' This is a very solid film, highly recommended.

Reaction Score
"The Professionals"-Richard Brooks-1966

This is a well reviewed and a box office success film. Brooks was a solid writer/director. He adapted this from an unknown novel by Frank Rourke novel. It had a stellar cast: Ralph Bellamy, Burt Lancaster, Jack Palance, Claudia Cardinale, Woody Strode, Robert Ryan, and Lee Marvin. A prominent railroader recruits a crew to return his kidnapped wife. She was taken to Mexico by the prominent bandit/revolutionary, Jesus Raza (Jack Palance). His first recruit was Fardan (Lee Marvin) he served with Pancho Villa for six years; he was demonstrating automatic weapons. His next recruit was Ehrengard (Robert Ryan) a horse trainer and wrangler.
The next recruit was Jake (Woody Strode) a tracker and bowman. Fardan added a friend Dolworth (Lancaster) a virtuouso with explosives. Grant (Bellamy) pays each man $1,000 in advance. They will receive $9,000 more apiece if they return his wife. Raza has asked for $100,000 as a ransom.

They interplay among the professionals is well done. There is plenty of action, the piece de resistance is the attack on the compound which includes a lot of explosions. The group escapes with Grant's wife, Maria (Claudia Cardinale). It turns out that she had always been in love with Raza. This was part of a plot to scam Grant out of the $100,000 in gold. Getting away and getting back to the US is a major problem. I won't spoil the ending. The cast with the exception of Lee Marvin and Cardinale were in their 50's. They did their own stunts. Cardinale ended up doing her most dangerous stunt because the stunt double died in rehearsal. Marvin and Lancaster didn't get along. Brooks was known for being a master of the shouting technique of directing. The 60's was
a great decade for Westerns; this doesn't rank with the greats, but it is better than good. It is available to stream free.

The final line is worth quoting: Gates: ""You bastard."
Fardan: "Yes, sir. In my case it was an accident of birth. But you, you're a self made man."

Reaction Score
"The Quick and the Dead"-Sam Raimi-

Let's face it, this is not a film anyone would claim as a profound film. Sam Raimi had fun with special effects. The bullets make real holes; you can see the sky. The plot has no relation to reality. A group of gunfighters come to a town for a shoot off. The prize to the one winner is over$100,000. This has a solid cast: Gene Hackman, Rusell Crowe, Leo DiCaprio, Pat Hingle,Gary Sinise, and Sharon Stone. The Kid (Leo DiCaprio) wants to
gain his father's, Herod's (Hackman) respect. Cort (Crowe) a preacher working with the less fortunate. He was a former cohort of Herd, but he swore off violence. Herod's thugs grabbed him up, and he is being forced into the conflict. Ellen has a personal situation which brings her to town. She is forced into the contest.

Lots of shootouts. Take note there is a sneaky ending. There are some nice bits; Stone's coat is a real western antique. For those interested some classic examples of western handguns are shown. We have some explosions; pretty well done. I enjoyed it. Free streaming is available.

Reaction Score
"Silverado"-Laurence Kasdan-1985

This is a film which is often cited as the starting point for a revival of the Western. It is true that the Western revived in the '90's, but this film despite decent reviews didn't make money. I like some of Kasdan's films particularly "The Big Chill" and "Grand Canyon." Still he is better known as a screenwriter "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and several scripts in the Star Wars universe. This film was a mammoth undertaking: a complicated set was built in New Mexico, and the huge cast rehearsed for 30 days before shooting began. The major players include: Brian Denehy, Linda Hunt, Rosanna Arquette, Danny Glover, Lynne Whitfield, Kevin Costner, John Cleese, Jeff Goldblum, Kevin Kline, and Scott Glenn. For many it was their first Western. The plot is so involved that it would take at least 500 words to scratch the surface. There is a corrupt town with a corrupt sheriff. The town is run behind the scenes by a nasty cattle baron who is out to get the homesteaders. A mixed group rides in to save the day. The town does have a great bar managed by Stella (Linda Hunt). A shady gambler comes to town.

This is lushly filmed and costumed. I wasn't really impressed, I found it dragging. This is a decent film; it's available to stream. This concludes this western interlude. I should warn you that I just received my 40 film
Clint Eastwood set; most of the films aren't westerns, but there still are a number which are Westerns. The price was very low, under $40 for 40 films.

Reaction Score
"Lincoln"Steven Spielberg-2012

This was a highly successful film, both with critics and at the box office. Liam Neeson was originally cast as Lincoln. He did a lot of research. On the surface this seems to be a strange piece of casting until you remember him in Schindler's List. Spielberg was interested in Doris Kearns Goodwin's book:"Lincoln s Team of Rivals."She served as a consultant to the film. The script was written by Tony Kushner. The original version was well over 500 pages. Kushner did five re-writes of a 70 page script. The script focused on one aspect of Lincoln's presidency, the effort to pass the 13th Amendment to the Constitution. Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation focused on only those slaves who were living under Confederate control. That was justified as a war time measure. Lincoln had just won re-election with a large majority in the House of Representatives. That wasn't always a slam dunk. One indication of hoe precarious it seemed was dropping Hannibal Hamlin in favor of Andrew Johnson as vice president. Union victories and arrangements to enable the soldiers to vote provided a solid margin of victory. The question is why Lincoln didn't wait until the new Congress was seated. The film doesn't provide a definitive answer. A partial answer might be that at that time the second term wouldn't begin until late March.

The manipulations Lincoln had to undertake were seemingly beneath him. This is a little known area of US history. In order to be sent to the states for ratification, the amendment had to be passed by both Houses by a two thirds vote. By trying to pass this in the lame duck session, Lincoln needed a substantial group of Democratic votes. What the film does very well is to detail the deal making necessary to hold all the Republican votes and to pickup the Democratic votes. I will leave the historical lesson there. What disappointed me were the major deviations from the historical record. These center around the vote. First Connecticut cast all five votes in favor of the Amendment. Second the measure was voted on by a secret ballot and not by a roll call vote.

The cast is terrific. Particular cudos to Daniel Day Lewis as Lincoln and Sally Field as Mary( Molly) Lincoln. Other notables include: David Straithairn (Seward), James Spader (Bilbo), Tommy Lee Jones (Thaddeus Stevens), and Hal Holbrook (Preston Blair). Lewis is a remarkable Lincoln. Spielberg is excellent at organizing a huge production. Most of the film was shot on a magnificent White House set constructed in Paris. Some critics felt that the mini series Lincoln based on Gore Vidal's novel gives a better portrayal of Lincoln. I don't; it covers more ground, but other than that; this film is superior in every way.

This is highly recommended, but I must admit that this viewing wasn't up to my memories.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Your last line is interesting as given your synopsis, I'm inclined to watch it again. I saw it a theatre and other than DDL's performance, wasn't as impressed as most, and feel I missed a lot.

Reaction Score
I thought Lincoln was one of the few films that managed to make the Civil War boring. And they misrepresented Connecticut. A very average film.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I did like all of the telegraph wire. That's what I remember most.

Reaction Score
"Glory"-Edward Zwick-1989

Let me begin this discussion by stating that this is an excellent film. It is the story of the early years of the 54th Infantry Regiment from Massachucetts. It ends with the failed attack on Fort Wagner. As with all historical fiction; there are deviations from historical truth. Certain deviations are important; the regiment was made up of largely Free Blacks and not escaped slaves. Many of the Free Blacks came from important families; included among them were two of Frederick Douglass' sons. I would say that is an important deviation. The fact that the attack on Fort Wagner as shown in the movie comes from the wrong direction is not as important. The most telling criticism is that it is told from the point of view of its white Colonel, Robert Gould Shaw (Matthew Broderick). Shouldn't it have been told from the point of view of the Black soldiers?

There is a story that the screenwriter, Kevin Jarre, became interested in the story after seeing the Agustus Gauden's sculpture on the Boston Green. It portrays Shaw heroically leading his troops in the assault on Fort Wagner. The sculpture was begun in 1880 and completed in 1897. It was recently defaced during Black Lives Matter demonstrations. The news accounts offer no real explanation. One of the reasons for the focus on Shaw is that his letters form one of Jarre's chief sources. Another plausible reason is that the focus might be due to box office considerations. Were there letters home from the Black troops, almost certainly. It is unlikely that there is a collection curated as the Shaw letters were.

There is a belief that this film falls into the "White Savior" or "White Hero" category. The implication being that
stories told about the Black Experience from a white person's viewpoint are in essence misjudged and inauthentic. That seems a little tough on Shaw. He died in the attack, and he was buried in the same unmarked grave. Why was Broderick chosen to Play Shaw. According to Zwick it was because he looked remarkably like the historical Shaw. He was also the right age. Many people believe that Broderick's performance is lacking. I thought it was solid. It isn't of the same quality as Freeman's, Braugher's, and particularly Washington's.

Mention should be made of the cinematography; Freddie Francis won the Oscar. The period detail is excellent. In addition to 3 Oscars, the film won many other awards including a major award from the NAACP.
Financial details are lacking, but apparently it wasn't ahuge box office success. It won several British awards, but I couldn't find box office details for overseas markets. It is available to stream for free, use Roku. I found this film lived up to my memories. This is a must see for civil war buffs, history buffs, Washington fans, and those who like a solid story with well developed characters. Watch or re-watch.

Reaction Score
"Glory"-Edward Zwick-1989

Let me begin this discussion by stating that this is an excellent film. It is the story of the early years of the 54th Infantry Regiment from Massachucetts. It ends with the failed attack on Fort Wagner. As with all historical fiction; there are deviations from historical truth. Certain deviations are important; the regiment was made up of largely Free Blacks and not escaped slaves. Many of the Free Blacks came from important families; included among them were two of Frederick Douglass' sons. I would say that is an important deviation. The fact that the attack on Fort Wagner as shown in the movie comes from the wrong direction is not as important. The most telling criticism is that it is told from the point of view of its white Colonel, Robert Gould Shaw (Matthew Broderick). Shouldn't it have been told from the point of view of the Black soldiers?

There is a story that the screenwriter, Kevin Jarre, became interested in the story after seeing the Agustus Gauden's sculpture on the Boston Green. It portrays Shaw heroically leading his troops in the assault on Fort Wagner. The sculpture was begun in 1880 and completed in 1897. It was recently defaced during Black Lives Matter demonstrations. The news accounts offer no real explanation. One of the reasons for the focus on Shaw is that his letters form one of Jarre's chief sources. Another plausible reason is that the focus might be due to box office considerations. Were there letters home from the Black troops, almost certainly. It is unlikely that there is a collection curated as the Shaw letters were.

There is a belief that this film falls into the "White Savior" or "White Hero" category. The implication being that
stories told about the Black Experience from a white person's viewpoint are in essence misjudged and inauthentic. That seems a little tough on Shaw. He died in the attack, and he was buried in the same unmarked grave. Why was Broderick chosen to Play Shaw. According to Zwick it was because he looked remarkably like the historical Shaw. He was also the right age. Many people believe that Broderick's performance is lacking. I thought it was solid. It isn't of the same quality as Freeman's, Braugher's, and particularly Washington's.

Mention should be made of the cinematography; Freddie Francis won the Oscar. The period detail is excellent. In addition to 3 Oscars, the film won many other awards including a major award from the NAACP.
Financial details are lacking, but apparently it wasn't ahuge box office success. It won several British awards, but I couldn't find box office details for overseas markets. It is available to stream for free, use Roku. I found this film lived up to my memories. This is a must see for civil war buffs, history buffs, Washington fans, and those who like a solid story with well developed characters. Watch or re-watch.
I agree this is an excellent film.

While Shaw is the major plot device, the story does not only come though his eyes. The narrative has multiple points of view. One is Shaw. But we also see the POV of Tripp, Rawlings and Seales, each of which is different. This is one of the reasons it doesn't fall into the trap of many Civil War films that portray blacks and whites as monolithic groups. The portrayals are of nuanced individuals, there is depth and growth from the characters. When Tripp refuses to carry the flag, he isn't being saved by anyone.

The opening scene at Antietam does a great job of translating the horror of the Civil War to a modern audience. It is the antithesis of "glory." It also sets the stakes for the picture.

I am always a sucker for set and period pieces. Zwick does a great job of giving us just enough of the 1860s to transport us. There is a light touch to this that just feels right. I was once told by director that the audience doesn't care about your huge authentic set. Tell the story. That is exactly what is done here.

Reaction Score
"The Red Shoes"-Powell and Pressberger-1948

Let me confess; I know next to nothing about ballet. Opera is another thing; I had season tickets to the opera at the Bushnell for years. I have dozens of operas on CD and DVD. I've watched simulcasts from the Met at local theaters. So why not present an opera in this forum? Maybe sometime in the future, but for now we are looking at a movie which deals with ballet. The film is based on a story by Hans Christian Anderson. In 1937
Pressberger wrote a script which was picked up by Alexander Korda. WWII intervened, and the film was never made. Powell and Pressberger bought the script back from Korda. They planned to make the film themselves; they hooked up with J. Arthur Rank. The film went over schedule and over budget. Rank nearly buried the film, but it proved very successful in small art house theaters. This film ran for over two years in theaters in New York and San Francisco. It has never really gone away. In 1977 Powell and Pressberger wrote a novel which covered and expanded upon the movie script. The Criterion DVD has Jeremy Irons reading portions of the novel synched to the film.

The film has a number of areas which draw adulation. One of the most often mentioned is the three strip Technicolor. I was disappointed, but watch it yourself. The second is the Photography of Jack Cardiff; these accolades are well merited. The ballet inside the film is considered a classic; I find it so today more than 70 years after its initial appearance. The story is a fantasy; remember the source. Then there is the duality; in the ballet the red shoes are enchanted. If you wear them; you literally dance yourself to death. The ballet is set in the world of a dancer and a dance company (Lermontov). An aspiring dancer gets the prima donna role in a new ballet "The Red Shoes." She also falls in love with the composer. The question is are these two forces compatible? The answer of course is no.

Powell decided he wouldn't make the film without casting a ballerina who could act. It took him a year to convince Moira Shearer to take the role. Her brilliant red hair was just a bonus. Boris Lermontov was played by a seasoned Austrian (Anton Walbrook) whose first film role was in a 1915 horror film. Julian Craster (Marius Goring) had a long career primarily in TV. Leonid Messine was a Russian born dancer, dance teacher, designer. He replaced Barishnikov after he left. He's simply astounding as the shoemaker in the ballet. He could have had a bigger career in films. He's an excellent actor. Shearer made a few films, but dance was always her love. This is one of those films which inspires almost manic devotion from its accolytes. The detractors just don't get it. I liked this film a lot when I first saw it over 50 years ago at an art house; I still like it a lot. Still if you want to see brilliant Powell and Pressberger technicolor, hunt out "Black Narciscuss."

This is one of Scorcese's favorites; one of the extras on the DVD is a view of some of the items he collected from the film.

This is a real classic.

Reaction Score
Still if you want to see brilliant Powell and Pressberger technicolor, hunt out "Black Narciscuss."

This is one of Scorcese's favorites; one of the extras on the DVD is a view of some of the items he collected from the film.

This is a real classic.

I once read where "Black Narcissus" is simply brilliant in its use of technicolor, that it is one of the most colorful films ever made. It is a wonder to look at, and it is another great Powell/Pressberger film.

Reaction Score
"Umberto D"-Vittorio Di Sica-1952

Sometimes it helps me to connect with a film if I can make a connection between the film and my own life. Last night after watching the film, viewing the extras on the Criterion DVD, and reading a number of reviews; I went to bed. I was having trouble sleeping, when I awoke at around 4 am. I had a memory of a a teacher at HPHS when I taught there. He taught English, he made Phi Beta Kappa, and he was approaching retirement. I remember that I found him to be a gentleman, always polite, carefully dressed and well spoken. I also thought him to be a gentle man, he cared about others, and was calm in all types of situations. This is Umberto D. In the movie he is retired after 30+ years working in the Department of Public Works. The individual who portrays him in the movie was a university professor of languages. De Sica believed that it was impossible to find actors to play all the key roles in some of his films. He actually had a team searching for the perfect match. They saw Carlo Battista on the streets of Rome, and they approached him. He thought it was some kind of joke/scam, but they convinced him to meet Di Sica. This was his only film role.

Umberto first appears at a protest march complete with signs. The protesters are retired civil servants. They can no longer support themselves on their pensions. They are demanding to see the minister. They are dispersed by police. They didn't have a permit; they tried to get one, but they were denied. We didn't have a "Bloody Sunday" event. The protesters are dispersed firmly, but without violence. They disperse talking as they part ways.

Umberto D has a last name; it is almost never used, Names are often thought to have power, mystically and in the real world. His last name is Ferrari, and no he clearly is not one of those Ferraris. The script was written by Di Sica's friend and partner, Cesare Zavatini. Zavatini was obviously aware of the Ferrari image. I shouldn't pat myself on the back; it is obvious. What is the character of our protagonist? We find out that he has no family. He has lived alone in the same furnished room for 20 years. He has standards;he dresses carefully every day. He wears a suit; he is clean shaven, and he wears a hat when he goes outside.

He is several months in debt to his landlord. She is a buxom, bleached blonde, with friends who appear for musicales. She is proud of her singing voice, and she is determined to get rid of Umberto. Umberto has two friends in the world. He is close to the young maid, Maria (Maria Pia Cassilo). She is unfortunately pregnant, unwed, and unsure of which of two soldiers is the father. They help each other whenever possible. Umberto wants her to find another job; she wants him to find another place to live. However, Umberto's real confidant is his dog Flicke (Flag). He is small, intelligent, and well trained.

This film is beautifully photographed. It is also very sad. We become increasingly aware that Umberto is not going to be able to escape his problems. This happens while we begin to understand and to care about our non Ferrari. In addition to his money/landlord problems, Umberto's health is failing. Battista shows his pain in his face,but it is most often subtle.

This is not only a classic, it is a great film. It hasn't aged, Umberto is like Shakespeare's Cleopatra:"Age cannot wither her, nor custom stain her infinite variety." This is what only the great films do; we don't just watch figures on a screen; we are given the opportunity to experience another life.

Available to stream for free on YouTube.

Reaction Score
"The Freshman"-Andrew Bergman-1990

This is a well cast, cleverly written film that stands up to repeated viewings.Bergman is an elusive artist. He began in films as a script writer for "Blazing Saddles." He also directed some successful films: "Fletch" and "It Could Happen to You." After the 90's, he drops from view. He has a Phd from University of Wisconsin in history.
He also has written 4 detective novels.

If you have seen this film; you can't forget Marlon Brando as Carmine Sabatini. Sabintini is the character who is the basis for The Godfather. 1990 marked the premier of Godfather III. Bergman met with Brando for 3 days where they discussed everything nut the film. Brando agreed to do the film if he could allude to his Godfather character. Bergman modified the script to allow Brando full reign. Brando was always something of a prima donna. He had a special hookup to feed him his lines. When the film ran over shooting schedule one day; he demanded an extra one million dollars. When that didn't come through; he trashed the film. They paid him the money and he changed his tune.

The plot is implausible, but this is somewhat corrected by revealing that the whole thing was set up by Sabatini.
Clark Kellog (Matthew Broderick) is going to the NYU Film School. His stepfather is a crazed animal rights activist. Clark arrives in NYC, and he is immediately robbed by Victor Ray (Bruno Kirby) of everything he brought to college. While meeting with his advisor, Arthur Fleeber (Paul Benedict) he sees Vic out the window. He chases him down, and Vic offers him a job in lieu of returning his goods and money. The jobentails making a pickup in customs at the airport and bringing it to New Jersey. He goes to Sabitini's mansion to pick up a car.
He meets the Don's daughter, Tina (Penelope Ann Miller). They dance and he see the real Mona Lisa. He gets the car and he enlists his roommate to help with the pickup. It turns out that the cargo is a Komodo Dragon an endangered species. Naturally, the trip doesn't go smoothly, but finally the delivery is made.
Clark discovers his dragon is only one of many endangered species at the estate. It turns out that there is a special dining club which begins with $250,000 a plate. The diners eat endangered species.

It turns out that this is an elaborate con. Sabatini wants out, and he manipulates Clark to help him. Part of the manipulation has him becoming Tina's fiance. The ending is very funny and clever. I am particularly fond of the final scene. Everything has been revealed to Clark. He watches Carmine trying to walk the Dragon down a dirt road in a corn field. Clark runs to catch up; he tells Carmine that Komodo's don't walk very well. He picks up the dragon, and they walk off together.

Bergman finds humor in likely (the pretensions of the film school) and the unlikely (the name on Clark's Italian passport is a character from "A Night at the Opera"). Max Schell has a supporting role as Sabatini's chef/partner. I think this is a largely forgotten pleasure. Highly recommended. Free streaming.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

This is a well cast, cleverly written film that stands up to repeated viewings.Bergman is an elusive artist. He began in films as a script writer for "Blazing Saddles." He also directed some successful films: "Fletch" and "It Could Happen to You." After the 90's, he drops from view. He has a Phd from University of Wisconsin in history.

If you have seen this film; you can't forget Marlon Brando as Carmine Sabatini. Sabintini is the character who is the basis for The Godfather. 1990 marked the premier of Godfather III. Bergman met with Brando for 3 days where they discussed everything nut the film. Brando agreed to do the film if he could allude to his Godfather character. Bergman modified the script to allow Brando full reign. Brando was always something of a prima donna. He had a special hookup to feed him his lines. When the film ran over shooting schedule one day; he demanded an extra one million dollars. When that didn't come through; he trashed the film. They paid him the money and he changed his tune.

The plot is implausible, but this is somewhat corrected by revealing that the whole thing was set up by Sabatini.
Clark Kellog (Matthew Broderick) is going to the NYU Film School. His stepfather is a crazed animal rights activist. Clark arrives in NYC, and he is immediately robbed by Victor Ray (Bruno Kirby) of everything he brought to college. While meeting with his advisor, Arthur Fleeber (Paul Benedict) he sees Vic out the window. He chases him down, and Vic offers him a job in lieu of returning his goods and money. The jobentails making a pickup in customs at the airport and bringing it to New Jersey. He goes to Sabitini's mansion to pick up a car.
He meets the Don's daughter, Tina (Penelope Ann Miller). They dance and he see the real Mona Lisa. He gets the car and he enlists his roommate to help with the pickup. It turns out that the cargo is a Komodo Dragon an endangered species. Naturally, the trip doesn't go smoothly, but finally the delivery is made.
Clark discovers his dragon is only one of many endangered species at the estate. It turns out that there is a special dining club which begins with $250,000 a plate. The diners eat endangered species.

It turns out that this is an elaborate con. Sabatini wants out, and he manipulates Clark to help him. Part of the manipulation has him becoming Tina's fiance. The ending is very funny and clever. I am particularly fond of the final scene. Everything has been revealed to Clark. He watches Carmine trying to walk the Dragon down a dirt road in a corn field. Clark runs to catch up; he tells Carmine that Komodo's don't walk very well. He picks up the dragon, and they walk off together.

Bergman finds humor in likely (the pretensions of the film school) and the unlikely (the name on Clark's Italian passport is a character from "A Night at the Opera"). Max Schell has a supporting role as Sabatini's chef/partner. I think this is a largely forgotten pleasure. Highly recommended. Free streaming.

Love this movie. I do Larry London impersonations in my kitchen. Penelope Ann Miller never looked more gorgeous. Brando was funny and Kirby was full Bruno. I am not a big Broderick fan, and I actually enjoy his performance here more than in FBDO.

Reaction Score
"The Third Man"-Carol Reed-1949

This film deals with a part of post WWII rarely seen in English language films. It doesn't deal with the refugee crisis, nor with the hunt for escaped Nazis, nor with the beginning of the Cold War. We arrive with Holly Martins
(Joseph Cotton) a relatively unsuccessful pulp novelist specializing in Westerns. Martins came to Vienna because his old friend, Harry Lime (Orson Welles), has promised him a job and a place to stay. Vienna is an international city, divided into four zones: American, British, French, and Russian. Depending upon where you look Vienna can appear as a city returning to normal,or a city devastated by the war and now the occupation. Everything is for sale on the Black Market.

Martins arrives, goes through customs, and takes a cab to Lime's residence. The caretaker reports that they have just left. Holly learns that they have taken Lime's body to the graveyard for burial. He hurries to the funeral. He joins a small crowd, and he puts a spoonful of earth on the coffin with other mourners. Martins is already willing to doubt the official account. Lime was hit by a truck which left the scene. He is picked up at the funeral by Major Calloway (Trevor Howard) who heads the Military Police in the British sector. Calloway wants him to leave Vienna on the next morning's plane. According to Calloway, Lime is the worst sort of criminal..

The movie is dominated by the man who isn't there. The script is an original by Graham Greene; he worked with Reed several times, but on all the other occasions he adapted his novels. Reed is a top director; some of his other successes Include:"Odd Man Out", "Our Man in Havana" "Fallen Idol," and "Trapeze." The production was a joint effort between Alexander Korda, and David O. Selznick. Selznick formed his own production company after the laurels for "Gone With the Wind" were stolen by Louie Mayer. Cotton was under contract to Selznick; Alida Valli Fraulein Schmidt, was his choice as well. It is most unusual for a character with only 5 minutes of screen time in a film over 100 minutes long to dominate the film. The film is all about Lime. Martins believes that Lime was murdered; the accident was no accident. He and Anna Schmidt refuse to accept that Lime is evil. His great charm stands in the way.

No commentary about the film can be complete without the mention of the zither. This is a stringed instrument plucked rather than strummed common in Eastern Europe. The Third Man theme played by Anton Karas became an international top seller. Karas later started a club in Vienna, "The Third Man", which he ran until his death. The title is a little trick; Martins thought that a third man carrying the body from the road was a piece of the puzzle which helped to show it was murder rather than hit and run. This has nothing to do with the central story which is uncovering who is Harry Lime. The film was shot in Vienna. The famous sewer scene where Lime is fleeing from various used off duty Vienna Police as extras. Orson Welles didn't wander through the sewers, his closeups were filmed in England. A double was used for long shots in Vienna.

We don't see Welles until one hour and six minutes have passed. Then we see his face just for seconds; Holly chases him through the streets and Lime vanishes. Martins goes to Calloway to report the sighting, but Lime is nowhere to be seen. Calloway focuses on what looks like a telephone booth, but really is an entrance to the sewer system. That leads to Calloway digging up Lime's grave. A missing medical orderly is found in the coffin. He stole the penicillin for Lime. Lime not only raised the price, but he diluted it until it was a poison rather than a cure. Holly and Fraulein Schmidt are forced to confront the reality that Lime's charm masked evil.

There is a famous line that Welles improvised: "In Switzerland they had brotherly love five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did they produce, the cuckoo clock. Goodbye, Holly." Welles played a similarly evil character in "The Stranger" at about the same time. This film has been ranked #1 in polls picking the best British film of all time. It often finds itself in the top 100 American films as well. Korda and Selznick never made another film together despite this film's success. My only problem with the film is that end seems to be in slow motion. Despite that, this is near great at the worst. It is available to stream for free.
The camera work is brilliant particularly in the use of shadows and the changes in perspective. The shot of Lime's face, visible for the first time is etched in the viewers mind. This is a must see.
Been waiting for this one. Many consider it the best British film.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think this film was poorly marketed. I remember hearing about it back then and thinking it can't possibly be good. Years later a buddy at work said he enjoyed it as well.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

This has long been a favorite of mine. And young Penelope Ann Miller is just adorable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom