Films Worth Viewing Year 2 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Films Worth Viewing Year 2

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Moving on; I've always Thought "Singing in the Rain" was a great musical. Comden and Green are an exceptional writing team. Gene Kelley, Debbie Reynolds, and Donald O'Connor are all great. "Make Them Laugh" is a special favorite. Still after viewing the film and delving deeply into the background; I wasn't moved to contribute to your ennui.
We just caught "Cover Girl". It's almost a dry run for Singing in the Rain. I didn't realize what a great dancer Rita Hayworth was. Very athletic.

Reaction Score
House Cleaning

I've run into quite a dryspell; the one film I really wanted to discuss, "Hope and Glory" directed by John Boorman, is impossible to find at present. Not only is there no free streaming; there is no streaming at all. It is the story of a young boy (told from his viewpoint) of the beginning of WWII in England. It is deftly made with some superb photography. It features a magnificent performance by Ian Bannen as the grandfather. Films made from a child's viewpoint are rare.

"Hope and Glory" is available on the Netflix DVD service.

Reaction Score
Today is a special edition of films worth viewing. Please come and fill in the first few rows. As an added incentive those sitting in the front rows will be eligible for a drawing for golden tickets. May I have your attention please. There is ample seating, but remember to engage in safe sitting. Please allow 6 feet separation for safe social distancing.

"We want golden tickets. We want golden tickets! We really want golden tickets!"
My mistake anyone who is sitting at a safe social distance will be so eligible.

May we now begin?

sotto voce grumbling.

Let us begin. What do Charlton Heston, Tim Curry, and Vincent Price have in common?

"Nobody said anything about a quiz"

That's really unfair."

How about Gabrielle Anwar, Angela Lansbury, and Geraldine Chaplin?

"This is really unfair. "Is this going to count for our final grade?"

Try Gene Kelley, Chris O'Donnell, and Michael York?

"We want a hint. We need a hint. If you want us on the hill, we must have a hint!!"

"Yeah, two can play this game."

You have a point. Let me see. These are actors playing the same characters in film adaptations of a classic novel.

"More, I want more!"

Since you insist: Faye Dunaway, Lana Turner, and Rebecca De Mornay.

"Flyspecks, flyspecks, zymurg, when miracles are occurring on Movie Hindsight..."

"This could have been the beginning of a beautiful friendship, zymurg."

Please maintain social distance as you exit. Oh, brave new world that has such creatures in it.

"We're still here, what's the answer?"

"The Three Musketeers" 3 film versions 1948, 1974, and 1993. I didn't include the silent version, nor the 1933 serial which by the way features John Wayne...

"Well, this is ten minutes of my life I'll never get back."

They are all available for free streaming. Richard Lester; he directed the Beatles; this was originally intended for them...
The last line to an empty classroom.

zymurg ponders, I tried. He awaits the verdict with a certain triste enveloping him.

Reaction Score
Today is a special edition of films worth viewing. Please come and fill in the first few rows. As an added incentive those sitting in the front rows will be eligible for a drawing for golden tickets. May I have your attention please. There is ample seating, but remember to engage in safe sitting. Please allow 6 feet separation for safe social distancing.

"We want golden tickets. We want golden tickets! We really want golden tickets!"
My mistake anyone who is sitting at a safe social distance will be so eligible.

May we now begin?

sotto voce grumbling.

Let us begin. What do Charlton Heston, Tim Curry, and Vincent Price have in common?

"Nobody said anything about a quiz"

That's really unfair."

How about Gabrielle Anwar, Angela Lansbury, and Geraldine Chaplin?

"This is really unfair. "Is this going to count for our final grade?"

"We want a hint. We need a hint. If you want us on the hill, we must have a hint!!"

"Yeah, two can play this game."

You have a point. Let me see. These are actors playing the same characters in film adaptations of a classic novel.

"More, I want more!"

Since you insist: Faye Dunaway, Lana Turner, and Rebecca De Mornay.

"Flyspecks, flyspecks, zymurg, when miracles are occurring on Movie Hindsight..."

"This could have been the beginning of a beautiful friendship, zymurg."

Please maintain social distance as you exit. Oh, brave new world that has such creatures in it.

"We're still here, what's the answer?"

"The Three Musketeers" 3 film versions 1948, 1974, and 1993. I didn't include the silent version, nor the 1933 serial which by the way features John Wayne...

"Well, this is ten minutes of my life I'll never get back."

They are all available for free streaming. Richard Lester; he directed the Beatles; this was originally intended for them...
The last line to an empty classroom.

zymurg ponders, I tried. He awaits the verdict with a certain triste enveloping him.

Trying to do this without looking at Wikipedia.

John Wayne starred in a bunch of B movies in the 1930's in which he was one of the "Three Mesquiters", or a similar title. My wife is a huge John Wayne fan, and she will occasionally watch these 1930's Wayne B movies when they show up on television.

Fay Dunaway, Lana Turner, and Rebecca DeMornay. "The Postman Always Rings Twice", and its various remakes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Michael York did it for me, he's equals TM in my mind. I loved that version when I saw it first-run as a kid. It might have been my favorite movie for a time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"The Flight of the Phoenix"-Robert Aldrich-1965

Aldrich was a top flight director. His hits include "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" and "The Dirty Dozen." This film is based on a novel of the same name by Trevor Ellison who is better known for "The Quiller Memorandum>" The film wasn't a box office success despite having a high powered cast headed by Jimmy Stewart as Frank Tooms. The story is really interesting. A group of oil workers are flying from the fields to RnR on an old and poorly serviced plane belonging to a third rate airline. Stewart is the plane's captain; he is flying without a co-pilot. He does have an engineer, Lew Marsh (Richard Attenbouragh) who has a major drinking problem. The plane encounters a major sand storm; they are 159 miles off course. One engine fails and just before the second engine fails Tooms brings the plane down, but the under carriage is so badly damaged that the plane won't be able to fly out.

What follows is more of a character study than an action film. The basic question is how will they be able to escape their dire situation and with what cost. They have very limited stocks of food and water. They hope to be found by a search, but that becomes increasingly unlikely. One of the passengers is a British army captain, he attempts to walk out and reach an oasis. That fails and the group is left with two options wait to die, or attempt to build a new plane from the wreckage under the tutelage of a German aircraft designer, William Dorfman (Hardy Krueger). Dorfman and Tooms have a monumental disdain for each other. They are strong willed prickly characters, and it falls to the engineer, Lew Marsh, to bridge the gap.

Through the years this film has attracted a strong following. The acting is very solid,the script and dialogue are tight. The conditions on set were difficult. It is worth noting that the principle stunt pilot, Paul Muntz, died filming a take-off of the plane built from the parts salvaged from the wreckage. The only thing I know
which is comparable is the moving of a steamboat in "Fitzcarraldo." We have become used to CGI giving viewers spectacular special effects, but this is well before time. Everything is done primitively. The pace is more leisurely and character development is far more important than action sequences.

Most highly recommended, and it is available to stream for free. This is truly a forgotten gem. Beware the remake.
Love this film. The dramatic tension is largely generated through the interactions of the characters. Dorfman's reaction to the others concerns when his background is more fully explained is perfect. He is incredulous as he states "The principal is the same." A great moment.

Town's reluctant leader evolution is fascinating and played (not surprisingly) in a very understated way by Stewart. The decision whether or not to fire the cartridge to clean the engine is another great moment driven by the interaction between Dorfman and Towns and the underlying tension as each vie for leadership.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just a note about the 3 Three Musketeers; 1948 and 1974 are both available for free streaming. It is almost pickem between that two. Even 1993 has its moments, Oliver Platt is far and away the best Porthos. Nothing profound, and all three chose to make the book a comedy. I would like to see one classic adventure interpretation with quality casting.

Reaction Score
"The Italian Job"-Peter Collison-1969

This is probably the classic British caper film. A group of English criminals led by Charlie Croker (Michael Caine)
plan and execute a massive heist in Turin. The take is $4 million dollars. The plan was originally conceived by
a British/Italian gangster. It was going to rob the Fiat payroll. He was murdered by blowing up his car in a tunnel by the Mafia led by led by Altabani (Raf Vallone). His widow gives the plans to Croker. In order to bring off the plans; he needs the support of the leading criminal in Great Britain, Mr. Bridger (Noel Coward) who is running affairs from prison. This was Coward's last role; he is brilliant. This is even more remarkable considering he was dying. I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but I can't resist just one story. When Croker is released from prison, his girlfriend picks him up with the Pakistani ambassador's car which she borrowed. The car in the film actually belonged to the Pakistani ambassador.

The film received support from Turin, Fiat, and even the Mafia who helped arrange a massive traffic jam. The Cooper car company made the film pay for the Mini Coopers they needed. The plot is clever, the dialogue funny, and the pace is rapid. I highly recommend this film; it is available on Prime.

"The Italian Job" -F. Gary Grey- 2003

This has several plot points from the 1969 film, Mimi Coopers, and a gold robbery in Italy. This time the gang is
American. Charlie Croker is Mark Wahlberger, and there is a Bridger( Donald Sutherland), but he actually takes part in the robbery. The take is stolen by a gang member, Steve (Edward Norton); most of the movie is about another caper to steal back the remaining gold. This is well made and enjoyable viewing, but for me it is a solid cut below the 69 film. It does have some huge special effects. Try 123 for streaming; you may have to jump through some hoops.

Reaction Score
"Odd Thomas"-Stephen Sommers-1913

Sommers scripted this from a Dean Koontz novel This is the first book in an 8 book series. There are also graphic novels. There is no musical planned. There have been serials rumored for TV and sequels; however, since the film was a huge box office failure, that is probably unlikely. Unlike the critics, I find some merit and pleasure in this film. I haven't read the novels, but the central concept intrigues me. I am a huge fan ofthe series "Dead Like Me." In this series certain people who die are charged with guiding souls to the afterlife.
They have a physical form, can eat, sleep, engage in various other physical activities. After an undisclosed period of time they are ready to pass over. There are mystical beings, gravelings, whose presence indicates imminent death; they are involved in creating death situations. In "Odd Thomas" Odd can see the dead, he feels responsible to help them achieve closure by finding and exposing those responsible for deaths.

Odd((Anton Yechin) works as a short order cook in a diner in Pico Mundo. In addition to seeing the dead, Odd also can see badachs. Their presence indicates a death. A horde of Badachs indicates a bloodbath. Odd also can find perpetrators, and he has visions of the soon to be dead. Sometimes he can avert violent deaths through his actions. Odd has a Love, Stormy (Addison Timlin) in whom he has confided all his secrets, and Police Chief Porter (Willem Dafoe) who is aware of some of his abilities but hasn't been fully read in. Odd senses an impending disaster connected with a strange character he calls Fungus Bob. What he doesn't realize isthat Bob is only one of a satanic cult with POD tattoos. The POD stands for Prince of Darkness. This film was not beloved by critics, but I think it isn't half bad. It is available on Prime and on Tubi. "Dead Like Me" is a much better choice; it is available on Prime

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
"Odd Thomas"-Stephen Sommers-1913

Sommers scripted this from a Dean Koontz novel This is the first book in an 8 book series. There are also graphic novels. There is no musical planned. There have been serials rumored for TV and sequels; however, since the film was a huge box office failure, that is probably unlikely. Unlike the critics, I find some merit and pleasure in this film. I haven't read the novels, but the central concept intrigues me. I am a huge fan ofthe series "Dead Like Me." In this series certain people who die are charged with guiding souls to the afterlife.
They have a physical form, can eat, sleep, engage in various other physical activities. After an undisclosed period of time they are ready to pass over. There are mystical beings, gravelings, whose presence indicates imminent death; they are involved in creating death situations. In "Odd Thomas" Odd can see the dead, he feels responsible to help them achieve closure by finding and exposing those responsible for deaths.

Odd((Anton Yechin) works as a short order cook in a diner in Pico Mundo. In addition to seeing the dead, Odd also can see badachs. Their presence indicates a death. A horde of Badachs indicates a bloodbath. Odd also can find perpetrators, and he has visions of the soon to be dead. Sometimes he can avert violent deaths through his actions. Odd has a Love, Stormy (Addison Timlin) in whom he has confided all his secrets, and Police Chief Porter (Willem Dafoe) who is aware of some of his abilities but hasn't been fully read in. Odd senses an impending disaster connected with a strange character he calls Fungus Bob. What he doesn't realize isthat Bob is only one of a satanic cult with POD tattoos. The POD stands for Prince of Darkness. This film was not beloved by critics, but I think it isn't half bad. It is available on Prime and on Tubi. "Dead Like Me" is a much better choice; it is available on Prime

I read all the Odd Thomas books. Interesting series and character, which the movie doesn't quite capture.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Chris O'Donnell was way out of his league with the other three co-stars, thus utterly forgettable.

Actually my favorite 3M was the remake of "Man In the Iron Mask". Not a particularly great movie, but the trio (Malkovich, Irons, Depardeau) playing 3Ms in middle age was pretty good comedy.

Reaction Score
"The Long Goodbye"-Robert Altman-1973

Altman is not my favorite director, and this isn't my favorite film; even Ebert wrote that this film shouldn't be your first Altman, nor your first film noir. This film for several reasons was not a box office success when it came out. Leigh Brackett wrote the script. Brackett wrote her first screenplay for Howard Hawks' "The Big Sleep."
She worked with Hawks on several John Wayne Westerns. However, she was primarily known as a SCIFI author. She contributed to the screenplay for "Return of the Jedi." In a feature about "The Long Goodbye" made 30 years after the filming, both Altman have Brackett dying before the release of the film. She didn't die until 1978.
The script deviates markedly from Chandler's novel.

I learned quite a bit about Altman's style from the features on the DVD. If you have a choice, try the DVD for the extras. Gould and Altman had this concept of Rip Von Marlowe. Marlowe was 20 years out of place in "The Long Goodbye." The world of Hollywood/LA had passed him by. He drives a 1948 Lincoln Convertible. He lives across from a group of hot babes who practice yoga nude and own a candle shop. Marlowe has a cat; the cat leaves him when he runs out of the preferred cat food. Marlowe goes to great lengths to try and fool the cat, but to no avail.

Marlowe gets drawn into a complicated situation when a longtime friend comes to him asking a big favor. Terry Lennox, Jim Bouton, tells Marlowe that he found his wife dead, and he needs to get away to Mexico because he and his wife have a history of fights, Reportedly, Bouton got the role because he played pick-up games with Gould, but it was Altman who called him. Bouton is remembered for "Ball Four" a controversial autobiography of a year in major league baseball. Bouton received good reviews, but never nade another movie. He wasn't asked. It is worth looking at Altman's casting choices; Gould was an offbeat choice for Marlowe. I liked Stering Hayben, but he got the role because Don Blocker died. Nina van Pallandt was a Danish Singer/Actress with no particular profile (she was involed with the hoaxer Clifford Irving).

Altman says he understands his own films through the audience. I think that is partially true. However, Altman structures the viewers experience. In this film he used a moving camera. The camera moves both vertically and horizontally. The audience is outside almost stalking. It is certainly partially Marlowe's viewpoint. He isn't sure what is going on. After leaving Lennox in Mexico he returns to LA. He is arrested for being complicit in the murder. He is released 3 days later after Lennox commits suicide in Mexico. A gangster and his hoods (Including Arnold Swarzennager) come after him for over $300,000 in cash. Then
Eileen Ward (van Pallandt) hires him to find her author husband Roger (Sterling Hayden). The disperate plot elements come together almost randomly.

I don't want to give away anymore plot points. Altman made it a condition of his directing the film that the conclusion couldn't be changed. Altman believed that the film was poorly marketed. It is considered an outre classic today. Some times it helps to know about a film before viewing it, other times it can bias or even ruin the experience. This is well worth viewing, particularly if you are a fan of Altman.

Reaction Score
"Wattstax"-Mel Stuart-1973

I don't know how many of you buried a time capsule. Back in the day elementary school children were asked to contribute something tangible which would be interred with ceremony. It would be dug up 50 years later. I'm asking you to look at a time capsule. This film was made to provide a picture of Black Life in Los Angeles in 1972 ,particularly focusing on the Watts district. Apparently, the idea for a concert was an idea of the Stax records West Coast representative. Stax was a Memphis based recording label. It was founded by Jim Stewart and Estelle Axton. The first two letters of each last name combined created Stax. In 1972 Stax was headed by Al Bell. He was black, Stewart and Axton were white. Bell thought the concept of a concert as part of the Watts Summer Festival was too small. He wanted the Los Angeles Colliseum. A date was set for a concert at the home of the Los Angeles Rams. The Rams played the Oakland Raiders on the night of August 19, 1972. The stage was erected on the field over night and into the morning. The admission fee was one dollar. Stax co-sponsored the event with Schlitz beer. The proceeds would go to a number of local charities.

I'm not really sure who first had the idea of filming the concert,probably Al Bell. He made contact with the Wolper Company. David Wolper was a mega producer of television. He is best remembered for "Roots."Bell decided that he wanted and entirely black crew. The film veered from a concert film to a documentary of black life in LA. Mel Stuart decided to intercut scenes of Black life with commentary by local citizens. He got the participation of Richard Pryor. Portions of a nightclub performance were intercut. Pryor provided a spoken introduction to the film. The concert ran for about seven hours. Stuart had his concert footage, his documentary footage filmed in Watts, the Pryor bits from a club performance, some historical footage to provide some historical background, and some performances from outside the concert (Johnny Taylor and Little Milton. This was all bundled together in just under 100 minutes of screen time.

Confusing, yes. I hadn't seen this in years. My first viewing for this piece left me flailing for a point of entry.
When the film first was released in 1973 MGM prevented Isaac Hayes' performance from being used. They had exclusive rights to all Shaft materials for 10 years. My memory is that the album got some play,but the film was barely seen. In 2002 and 2003 a new version was put together which included the Hayes material.
That version is streaming free on YouTube. What we see now is Stuart's interpretation of how black people in LA were thinking and feeling in the summer of 1972. We see the naturals, hear the funky music, we see special handshakes "power shakes,", we hear a lot of profane talk, we see Rev. Jesse Jackson on stage as the MC, we hear him lead the crowd in the "I am somebody"chant, and finally we see and hear the performers and the crowd.

Finally a little about the music. I liked "Respect Yourself", but it wasn't the Staples Singers best performance.
"If you don't respect yourself ain't nobody gonna give a big cahoo." Al Bell is excellent. Rufus Thomas is
something to behold. He emerges garbed in pink, covered with a pink cloak. He throws the cloak off and asks
the penetrating question: "Am't I clean?" Then he proceeds to perform in his coat and pink shorts and white boots. Fans spill out of the stands while he performs "The Funky Chicken." He jokes with them, and he get s them back in the stands. There is always one off the wall dude. What follows is zany, but enjoyable. Thomas's commentary is a must see, Finally order after a fashion is restored. I don't know how many of you even know the name Luther Ingram. He performs one of the great cheating songs on a par with "The Dark End of the Street." "If loving you is wrong; I don't want to be right..." This is a great song, and an even better performance. This was the set up for Isaac Hayes. If you weren't there in that time; you don't know how Shaft
permeated the consciousness. Hayes emerges from a car. There is announcement that if the audience rushes the stage; Hayes will be whisked away. He removes a colorful covering to expose his torso covered in gold chains. I've seen Isaac Hayes live; let me say this performance was more than a let down.

There is some measure of redemption as we hear Kim Weston reprise "Lift Every Voice and Sing." For those of you who don't know this used to called"The Black National Anthem." For most of us viewing this film may give us a little more perspective on the current demonstrations. How did I choose this film? I heard a clip of
Sam and Dave's "Hold on I'm Coming." That opened some memories, and this eventually led to Warrstax.
By the time this was filmed Sam and Dave had broken up; Otis Redding died in a plane crash, and Stax had broken off it's relationship with Atlantic. Time passes, and I'm an old fart.

Reaction Score
"Superfly"-Gordon Parks Jr.-1972

Blacksplotation is a term which refers to films made by Black filmmakers focusing on the inner city generally dealing with crime. It begins in the early 70's with two films "Shaft" and "Superfly." Hollywood found that cheaply made films could return as much as 100 times their investment. It helped if you had a killer soundtrack; particularly one with at least one killer single. Curtis Mayfield wrote, performed, and arranged the score for nothing. His reward was a platinum album. His songs are still appearing on soundtracks, including of course "Superfly 2018". Mayfield is dead, and he was paralyzed many years before when an amplifier fell on him dueing a performance.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a free streaming service. You can listen to the soundtrack on YouTube. If you have Prime; it costs $1.98 to stream. The sequel "Superfly TNT" streams free. You have to be very dedicated to watch it.

The film came about almost miraculously. Phillip Fenty had never written a film; Gordon Parks Jr. had never directed one. The producer they found, Sig Shore, was mainly noted for lining up European films for US distribution. None of the principals had any money. They got $53,000 from two dentists and $5,000 from Gordon Parks Senior. He was a famous photographer, writer, with one film to his credit "The Learning Tree."
Parks sr. would direct a few more films including "Shaft." "The Learning Tree" is a classic; it inspired a network of schools. 50 years after its opening the New York Times commemorated its opening with articles.

Back on track. Fenty knew Ron O'Neal from school in Cleveland. The script was only 50 pages; not really long enough for a feature. There is a lot of driving around in the movie. Superfly. Youngblood Priest, was a pusher. He and his partner, Eddie (Carl Lee) had a network of 50 street dealers and runners. Priest had started out as a runner for Scatter (Julius Harris). Scatter started Priest off being his original connect. Now
Priest needed a ride. A pimp (KC) had a tricked out caddy with a Rolls Royce front grill. This became Priests'
ride and KC appeared in the film. Priest wanted out; he wanted freedom. As Eddie put it "I know it's a rotten game, but it's the only one the Man has left us to play. That's the stone cold truth." Priest isn't willing to accept this as final. He does get out, but he leaves behind bodies including his mentor Scatter. The film ends with Priest confronting the Man: "I,m talking to you, you rednecked cigarette." (the Yard filter made an interesting choice.)

The beginning is brilliantly shot. We are looking down on a street. We see two addicts looking to score. We come down to street level. They plan to rob someone to get their fix. They hit on Priest. It doesn't go well.
Priest has established for audience his street cred. This film was influential on fashion and hair style. The music was killer, audiences were influenced. The same magic was never re-created. Parks Jr.died in a copter crash. Ron O'Neal directed the sequel. It was filmed in Senegal and Rome. The original is worth searching out. The DVD is reasonably priced and the extras are excellent. Highly recommended. I am listening to the soundtrack as I write this.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Sig Shore lived in Stamford and often filmed parts of his movies in Stamford and Norwalk. My mom was friends with his wife, Barbara. There were always Christmas cards from the Shores. But we never got invited over, and mom declined an invitation to see a screening of Superfly they were hosting. Mom was a bit of a racist.

Reaction Score
Amazing bit of history. The first preview of "Superfly" was in Fairfield county. This may well have been the showing referenced. The second preview was in Philly. It was a double bill with "Shaft." That one was a huge success. That convinced WB to put it in full release. The box office was over $6o million.

Reaction Score
"Superfly"-Gordon Parks Jr.-1972

Blacksplotation is a term which refers to films made by Black filmmakers focusing on the inner city generally dealing with crime. It begins in the early 70's with two films "Shaft" and "Superfly." Hollywood found that cheaply made films could return as much as 100 times their investment. It helped if you had a killer soundtrack; particularly one with at least one killer single. Curtis Mayfield wrote, performed, and arranged the score for nothing. His reward was a platinum album. His songs are still appearing on soundtracks, including of course "Superfly 2018". Mayfield is dead, and he was paralyzed many years before when an amplifier fell on him dueing a performance.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find a free streaming service. You can listen to the soundtrack on YouTube. If you have Prime; it costs $1.98 to stream. The sequel "Superfly TNT" streams free. You have to be very dedicated to watch it.

The film came about almost miraculously. Phillip Fenty had never written a film; Gordon Parks Jr. had never directed one. The producer they found, Sig Shore, was mainly noted for lining up European films for US distribution. None of the principals had any money. They got $53,000 from two dentists and $5,000 from Gordon Parks Senior. He was a famous photographer, writer, with one film to his credit "The Learning Tree."
Parks sr. would direct a few more films including "Shaft." "The Learning Tree" is a classic; it inspired a network of schools. 50 years after its opening the New York Times commemorated its opening with articles.

Back on track. Fenty knew Ron O'Neal from school in Cleveland. The script was only 50 pages; not really long enough for a feature. There is a lot of driving around in the movie. Superfly. Youngblood Priest, was a pusher. He and his partner, Eddie (Carl Lee) had a network of 50 street dealers and runners. Priest had started out as a runner for Scatter (Julius Harris). Scatter started Priest off being his original connect. Now
Priest needed a ride. A pimp (KC) had a tricked out caddy with a Rolls Royce front grill. This became Priests'
ride and KC appeared in the film. Priest wanted out; he wanted freedom. As Eddie put it "I know it's a rotten game, but it's the only one the Man has left us to play. That's the stone cold truth." Priest isn't willing to accept this as final. He does get out, but he leaves behind bodies including his mentor Scatter. The film ends with Priest confronting the Man: "I,m talking to you, you rednecked cigarette." (the Yard filter made an interesting choice.)

The beginning is brilliantly shot. We are looking down on a street. We see two addicts looking to score. We come down to street level. They plan to rob someone to get their fix. They hit on Priest. It doesn't go well.
Priest has established for audience his street cred. This film was influential on fashion and hair style. The music was killer, audiences were influenced. The same magic was never re-created. Parks Jr.died in a copter crash. Ron O'Neal directed the sequel. It was filmed in Senegal and Rome. The original is worth searching out. The DVD is reasonably priced and the extras are excellent. Highly recommended. I am listening to the soundtrack as I write this.

I was a teenager in the 1970's, and up until relatively recently I never gave much thought to seeing the original "Shaft" starring Richard Roundtree. I recall that not too long ago (maybe a year or two ago) I came across a late night showing of "Shaft" on Turner Classic Movies. I wasn't quite ready to go to bed, so I left it on. Eventually I had to abandon the film as I had to get to bed, but the chunk of the film I saw was interesting and certainly watchable. Having the Isaac Hayes song on the soundtrack certainly doesn't hurt, as I have come to really like that song. I have come across Shaft a once or twice since then (at least one of them was another showing on TCM), but I still have have not seen the film complete from start to finish. I suspect that one of these days that will happen, as it looks like a solidly entertaining movie.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
What a terrible story about Curtis Mayfield. I've heard "Freddie's Dead" on the radio twice in the last week.

Reaction Score
What a terrible story about Curtis Mayfield. I've heard "Freddie's Dead" on the radio twice in the last week.
While "Freddie's Dead" is on the album; the entire song doesn't appear in the film. I was disappointed. It was however, one of the three singles issued off the album (Pusher Man, Superfly).

Reaction Score
"Charade"-Stanley Donnen-1963

Donnen is known for musicals (On the Town, Singinging in the Rain, and 7 Brides for 7 Brothers, and comedies:Bedazzled, Two for the Road, and Movie,Movie). He frequently directed Hepburn. Peter Stone couldn't find a market for his script so he novelized it and sold it to "Redbook" as a serial. Universal picked it up.
He is given credit in the Demme re-make. Stone hated the re-make. This seems to be a common reaction to
"What About Charlie."

The casting of Cary Grant (Peter Joshua) with Audrey Hepburn (Regina Lampert) was questioned at the time, but it proved to be inspired. The story involves $250,000 in gold stolen from O.SS and buried by a group of soldiers.
19 years later Charles Lampert is thrown from a train while his wife is skiing in Switzerland. We meet Reggie at the ski resort being squirted in the face while sitting down to a huge breakfast. Peter Joshua appears and he and Regina have some chemistry. There is a running joke about Regina's appetite.

She returns home to Paris only to find her spacious apartment empty. Her husband has sold off everything. It turns out that he has been murdered. His body was found. She identifies it at the morgue. His one little bag contained a steamer ticket to Chile. There were a few other odds and ends, but nothing which seemed important. The multiple passports prove her husband's duplicity. She is called to the US embassy to meet
Hamilton Bartholomew (Walter Matthau) a CIA representative. He informs Reggie that her husband was a member of the team which stole the gold. The three surviving members are in Paris and on the hunt. Reggie knows nothing about anything, she is warned that she better find the treasure and turn it in to the US government.

What follows are several more murders of men in PJs and new names and new stories from Jessup. This was considered the best Hitchcock film that the master didn't make. It is full of clever dialogue: Reggie to Jessup?:"Of course you won't be able to lie on your back for a while, but then you can lie from any position, can't you?" The injury was sustained in a struggle with one of the survivors ,George Kennedy, who has a metal hand.

This is available to stream for free on YouTube. This is an excellent print, This is a film which isn't asgood as I remembered it. I may have caught it while in a bad mood. I still like it even though it doesn't come up to my memories. I still recommend this highly.

Reaction Score
"The Count of Monte Cristo"- 1934, 1974, 2002

When the 2002 version was made, it was the 13th film adaptation of the "Count." It is worth providing a little background on Dumas pere. His father was the son of a black slave and a French nobleman. At age 14 he was sent to France where he was freed and educated for the military. He used his mother's last name. Alexander followed his example. When his father died, Dumas had to make it on his own. He found employment with Louis-Phillipe who became King of France after the Revolution of 1830. Dumas had already moved on and began a career as a professional writer. He achieved success first as a dramatist, then as a novelist. He wrote serials for papers as did Dickens his contemporary in England. Dumas had a group of apprentice writers who helped him with various projects like a true crime encyclopedia. Even in his novels he had co-authors who received no credit. The most famous of these Auguste Manquet sued him in court. He was given more money but no byline. Two hundred years after his birth his ashes were interred with other French literary greats like Victor Hugo. The government acknowledged France's racism in his public remarks.

There were five silent versions of the "Count" before the 1934 version. Robert Donat was brought over from England to star in this version. Donat was in poor health for his entire career and this was his only Hollywood film. He was the top leading man in England during the '30's. He won an academy award for "Goodbye Mr. Chips." The director, Rowland V. Lee, is best known for "The Three Musketeers," "The Son of Frankenstein," and "The Son of Monte Cristo." The script left out many of the characters and plot lines from the novel,but the most important change is that Madeleine (Elissa Landi) and Dantes/Monte Cristo are reunited at the end of the film.

The basic plot is that a young mate (Edmund Dantes) of the Fereon is given a letter from his dying captain. He is instructed to deliver it in Marseilles to a man who will make himself known by using the word Elba.
The captain has gone ashore to meet with Napoleon. The authorities find out about the visit. Dantes newly promoted to captain and engaged to Mercedes is sent to the Chateau D'if in Marseilles harbor without a trial.
Three men have conspired to put him there for personal reasons. De Villefort the magistrate/prosecutor does it to protect himself because his father is a Bonapartist, Mondego because he wants Mercedes, and Danglais because he wants to be captain of the Fereon.

Dantes is reported dead, and years pass until another inmate tunnels into his cell. This man is an Abbot and a scholar. He has been in solitary since 1810. He and Dantes become friends; together they continue digging. The Abby instructs the young Dantes in philosophy, logic, and languages. Dantes comes to understand the motives of his betrayers. He also finds out that the Abby knows the location of one of the great treasures of the world. After the abbe's death in a tunnel collapse, Dantes escapes hiding the the shroud. When the body is thrown into the sea, Dante escapes and is picked up by smugglers.

The rest of the story covers Dantes establishing a new identity as the Count of Monte Cristo. He plans to destroy the men who betrayed him. They have all become prominent. The 34 film is available fro free streaming, but the option is only a small screen. The sound is good, and this is a good place to start. The '74 film is a TV production, but very high end. Trevor Howard makes a terrific abbe, and Richard Chamberlin makes by far the best looking Count. In the end he doesn't get Madeleine. He doesn't go off with Haydee who was the daughter of Ali Pasha who Mondego betrayed and killed. Tony Curtis appears as Mondego.
In the 2002 version Peter Finch is an excellent Abbe, and there is one spectacular scene where the newly arrived Count of Monte Cristo is throwing a party for the French elite.. He arrives spectacularly from a balloon amid great fireworks. This version has the most deviations from the novel. It was very successful at the box office, but in general the critics were not pleased. This version and the '74 film are both available on YouTube for free streaming.

Any of the 3 is a viable option. Each has its rewards, none is without flaws. These films harken back to a day of heroic storytelling when the heroes and the antagonists were human. Any of these is well worth viewing.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Amazing bit of history. The first preview of "Superfly" was in Fairfield county. This may well have been the showing referenced. The second preview was in Philly. It was a double bill with "Shaft." That one was a huge success. That convinced WB to put it in full release. The box office was over $6o million.
pops said that his bport grammar school class was put on the bus for a field trip to manhattan, to see the movie 'Sounder'. mebbe it was a premier? anyway, still a good movie.

Reaction Score
yes,Sounder is a favorite of mine. I will write a full comment soon.

Reaction Score
"The Proposition"-John Hillcoat-2006

This is really a good film I missed. Nick Cave,the rock star wrote the script. It has an excellent cast, and the interplay of some period music and photographs in the credits put you in the mood. Then you are thrust directly into an all out shoot out in a whorehouse. Inside are two members of the notorious Burns gang. The police led
by Captain Stanley (Ray Winstone lookinga lot like Russell Crowe) capture two members of the gang Charlie (Guy Pearce0 and Mike (Richard Burns). Charlie is offered the opportunity, to save himself and his brother from hanging if he will kill his brother.He has nine days to do this; if he fails; then his brother will be hung on Cristmas day. One further note this is set in the Australian Outback in the late 19th century.

In his search for his brother Charlie meets up with a bounty hunter, Jellon Lamb (JohnHurt) who is waiting for his brother to come down from the cliffs. Lamb is a man of some culture, but large prejudices. Charlie knocks him
out for nasty remarks about the Irish. The Irish were treated with disdain throughout the English speaking world
for much of the 19th century. Of course this is nothing to how the aboriginals were treated. Many were under British control, but some were running wild. Think American Indians, but maybe they were treated even worse.

Meanwhile in town Captain Stanley's boss, Eden Fletcher,has decided to give Mike one hundred lashes. Stanley believes that this is a death sentence early. He is ready to shoot to protect Mike, but when his wife comes to the whipping, he relents. Martha wanted to see the punishment because Mike raped and killed her pregnant friend.
Martha (Emily Watson) is sickened at the sight of the whipping. It is stopped after 40 lashes, but Mike will die of his wounds. Meanwhile Charlie hooksup with his brother. He pulls back several times from killing him. Arthur
(Danny Huston) is a charismatic sociopath, and Charlie still has some family feelings.

The remnants of the Burns gang end up riding to town to save Mike from the gallows. Mike dies and while Charlie buries his brother, Arthur rides out on Christmas day to deal with Captain and Mrs. Stanley.

There are no really admirable characters, but how they come alive. The scenery is epic, think John Ford. It doesn't look anything like Monument Valley but it has the same untamed majesty. Ford allowed us to hope for heroes, Hillcoat only allows us to see survivors. My highest recommendation; this is a must see for Western fans. Available on Prime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom