filling the stadium in the future | The Boneyard

filling the stadium in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With all the talk about future conferences, the performance of the team this year and beyond, the current and future projections for the state and national economy, unemployment, etc., my question is how does UConn maintain a FB fan base going foward?

Season ticket sales come up next year. Both BB teams reduced ticket prices this year and they have a bright future.

It seems the FB program, on this date, does not project the same rays of hope.

The possible makeup of future league members, outside of possibly the ACC does not project a "big time" feel. (Not factoring in the stick around time for departing teams)

This years on field performance has been dismal at best, and the team will take "huge" hits on both sides of the ball next year with vetern departures. Again we may be looking at QB's, OL, and receivers with no or minimal experience. Defense will also take hits

How much are season and gate ticket prices dropped to maintain a fan base? My guess will be 25%

This is a fragile fairweather fan base........it will be a marketing challenge for sure.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm not interested in spending the type of money I usually don't mind spending, watching PP's team is very hard on me.

and it's not just about winning and losing, it's about horrible game management and sub-par execution.

I watch the games shaking my head.

F

fortebleedsblue

I'm not interested in spending the type of money I usually don't mind spending, watching PP's team is very hard on me.

and it's not just about winning and losing, it's about horrible game management and sub-par execution.

I watch the games shaking my head.

+1 .. Pasqualoni's team is extremely hard to watch. I never turn off a UConn game (I may bitch and moan but I still watch). Yet I've done it twice this sesaon thus far .... WVU turned it off immediately after the JMac fumble went to the mall (thank god) and last night. The games are very difficult to watch and really boring. We had our first two touchdowns in a few games last night and one came when it didnt even matter.

Special Teams are a disaster, kick off returns are basically non existant and even worse are punt returns. Every punt play ends with Nick Williams either calling for a fair catch, getting blown up while catching the ball orrrrr letting the ball bounce down inside the 10.

Offense is REALLY boring..... mccombs gets a few yards here and there but never has the home run. Sorry but watching a team drive 80+ yards for a field goal is flat out boring.

Our Defense watching our secondary get blown up is disheartening to say the least. They do make plays, but when they don't we already know that the points allowed will not be made up by our offense. Simply put as soon as the other teams scores a touchdown I already feel like the game is out of reach.

Reaction Score
I understand a lot of the post, but do we really need to exaggerate every point? For example, we return 9 of 11 starters on D. 9 of 11.

Reaction Score
I have been a season ticket holder since the rent opened. Our tailgate group of 12 has decided not to renew and will scalp tickets to a few of the games next year. This conference shuffling sucks and so does the product on the field.
I not buying its not PP players, to many mistakes are going on

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
does anyone have season tix stats for the past 10 years?
i know 2010 was 25,500 and this year was at 25k in august.

edit: looking for past #'s
2003-24k
2004-28k
2005-32k
2006-30k
2007-26k+
2008-28k
2009-?
2010-25.5k
2011-25k+?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I expect there to be a significant hit to our season ticket base next year. The combination of our unfavorable future conference/scheduling, the economy, the availability of tickets for individual games, the poor on-field performance, and the lack of excitement and marketability of our team and coaching staff all combine for a perfect storm. If our season ticket base this year is 25k (I don't know if that is true or not), I would expect it to fall below 20k next year.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I expect there to be a significant hit to our season ticket base next year. The combination of our unfavorable future conference/scheduling, the economy, the availability of tickets for individual games, the poor on-field performance, and the lack of excitement and marketability of our team and coaching staff all combine for a perfect storm. If our season ticket base this year is 25k (I don't know if that is true or not), I would expect it to fall below 20k next year.
Maybe the team can put on a stage production of "Rudy" to raise money. Hey I got it.....Coach PP can play ND coach Dan Devine and Mike Nebrich can play Rudy.

Reaction Score
The university needs to re-evaluate its thinking. If I am Herbst, I assess the program top to bottom and decide if I like what I see or not. I would take the pulse of the fan base and players to hear their thoughts on the state of the program. Those are the people that need to believe in the coaching staff. Not just the players, but the fans too---or they won't buy tickets or show enthusiasm.

The product on the field is lousy, but somewhat expected given the players we lost. If it is determined that we have regressed and that excitement surrounding the program is low, you have to figure out how to change it. In my opinion, the sure fire way is to win games and do it with an exciting style of football. If you can attract a coach that will fill the seats and should win games, hire him.

UConn is at a very critical point in its history. If winning football games and doing it with style gets us into a stable conference, we must do it. Coach P has had very little time to get traction, but if early returns are an indication of future results, I am concerned. He may be able to pull this off, but I am not sure we can take the chance right now. Hiring a guy who will win and will fill the seats (like Mike Leach) and paying him big, big, money if need be may be the safest bet right now. We cannot become irrelevant right now.

Reaction Score
This whole thread is useless and very counterproductive.

Probably. However, I think it is a very critical time for UConn and we really need to play good, exciting football asap. The trains are leaving the station without us. I want the closest thing to a sure thing I can get right now. Our team and our coach can't be a punchline.

The decision making on the sidelines since game 1 is really concerning me as is the lack of energy and zip from the coaches and players. Lots of whining, jogging, standing around, sulking etc.

Reaction Score
I think there will be a serious drop in ticket sales for next season because of (Begin Rant)

1) We have no idea what the conference will be next year, if anything
2) Our marketing department is HORRIBLE....Herbst really needs to clean house and start over because the marketing department is doing a terrible job of promoting our athletic program
3) Availability of single game tickets because demand isn't high
4) On the field product is subpar
5) Our OOC schedule is subpar-->UMass, NC State, Buffalo at home (Maryland and Western Michigan on the road)

Funny thing about #5 is that this will be our toughest OOC schedule in years...meanwhile schools like Syracuse or Pitt can schedule games against Utah, Iowa, Notre Dame (at home), USC, Penn State, etc

6) HCPP wasn't an exciting hire by any means, and will not draw up the excitement of the average fan unless he wins
7) Being a pro state, the demand for UConn football is relatively low-->people would rather spend money to see NFL teams or just stay home and watch B1G, SEC, Big XII, PAC-12 football instead

Solution:
1) Herbst needs to get rid of HCPP, and make a splash by getting a guy like Mike Leach. Pay the salary and see the exciting product he can put on the field
2) Fire the director and any other superior's in the marketing department. Bring in people from major schools to bring some fresh ideas, other than getting the PC Richard and Son whistle at football games
3) Put together a better OOC schedule...Stop playing multiple MAC teams a season, and start scheduling games against big time schools like Penn State, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, anything...put together 2-1 trips or play at a neutral field but please play bigger name schools with more brand recognition than BUFFALO, TEMPLE, WESTERN MICHIGAN, OHIO, etc. The casual fan will turn the television on to see UConn play a big name program rather than watch UConn play against mid-level MAC school
4) Increase the size of the student section. Student demand for tickets is much higher relative to that of the the general seating. Expand student seating by 1000-2000 seats to draw up more demand for the remaining tickets. More students=more energy=better atmosphere (Another approach would be to put the band on the field (i.e. Michigan or Notre Dame) on temporary bleachers and sell more student tickets to fill the spot where the band is located)
By doing this, you decrease the market for all other tickets. It draws down the allotted amount of season tickets, and when people see that UConn has sold close to 90%-100% of season tickets, its a better reflection of the fan base and the school instead of a lesser percentage.
5) Pray we get into a BCS conference once this whole realignment phase ends...

End Rant

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Why would Mike Leach coach at UConn?

Reaction Score
Why would Mike Leach coach at UConn?

Because he wants a job and money. He needs a chance, we need excitement. Pay him and he will come. If he wins, pay him more. If he keeps winning and someone else wants him pay him even more. The only way to avoid being a stepping stone is to pony up.

zls44

Reaction Score
Because he wants a job and money. He needs a chance, we need excitement. Pay him and he will come. If he wins, pay him more. If he keeps winning and someone else wants him pay him even more. The only way to avoid being a stepping stone is to pony up.

He can get 50 better jobs. Including some schlub job in the Sun Belt, where the weather fits his offense (Air Raid in a blizzard?) and beat up the rest of the league on his way to a cush BCS job.

Reaction Score
Any thoughts on the potential impact of all this conference uncertainty on our upcoming home games with Michigan and Tennessee?

Reaction Score
In my opinion, the sure fire way is to win games and do it with an exciting style of football. If you can attract a coach that will fill the seats and should win games, hire him.

UConn is at a very critical point in its history. If winning football games and doing it with style gets us into a stable conference, we must do it. Coach P has had very little time to get traction, but if early returns are an indication of future results, I am concerned. He may be able to pull this off, but I am not sure we can take the chance right now. Hiring a guy who will win and will fill the seats (like Mike Leach) and paying him big, big, money if need be may be the safest bet right now. We cannot become irrelevant right now.

Been saying the same thing for a few years now. Fans worried only about winning games, no matter how ugly (16-13). No doubt it's all about winning, but UConn like everyone else is in the entertainment business, competing for limited entertainment $$$. Need to put out a high octane, fun to watch, don't leave your seat, kind of modern day college football. Baseball fans aren't all that interested in 1-0 pitching matchups, they want the ball flying out of the yard fast and furious.

Reaction Score
He can get 50 better jobs. Including some schlub job in the Sun Belt, where the weather fits his offense (Air Raid in a blizzard?) and beat up the rest of the league on his way to a cush BCS job.

Uconn has played one - ONE - game with a dusting of snow. NO Blizzards, please. Mike Leach's offense will work anywhere. Using the weather as an excuse for boring, grind it out offense doesn't fly. Tom Brady, Drew Bledsoe, Matt Cassell all threw the ball effectively in a lot worse weather than UConn has played in. Just recruit a coach who can recruit playmakers and the weather will cease to be an issue.

Reaction Score
The 3 remaining home games are going to play a big part in renewals. Imagine the home crowd reaction to that fiasco last night. At least after the Pitt home game in 2008 we had the Bowl game to generate some positive mojo for the offseason. If we do what we did last night Collaros will throw for 5oo yds. and that is what we will have to think about during the offseason. Have to win 2 out of three at home. As for the marketing I see plenty of ads for UConn football in late summer on TV. There are different plans now for hoops tx. Changes have been made to try and make up for people not wanting to attend every game. This is done for FB as well. The ads are out there, people just aren't putting out the cash.

zls44

Reaction Score
Uconn has played one - ONE - game with a dusting of snow. NO Blizzards, please. Mike Leach's offense will work anywhere. Using the weather as an excuse for boring, grind it out offense doesn't fly. Tom Brady, Drew Bledsoe, Matt Cassell all threw the ball effectively in a lot worse weather than UConn has played in. Just recruit a coach who can recruit playmakers and the weather will cease to be an issue.

So you're saying UConn should run the triple option, right?:)

Reaction Score

For all of the questions about PP on the sidelines and game planning / calling, it appears at this early juncture that he can absolutely recruit. This incoming class is light years ahead of anything FUCRE assembled, both in terms of ratings and size at this point in the year. Obviously, the proof is in the pudding, but I'm reserving judgement until we see how this staff's recruits perform on the field, in this system.

Reaction Score
+100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul