FIBA Americas Championship U18 Women - Final USA 83-Colombia 47 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

FIBA Americas Championship U18 Women - Final USA 83-Colombia 47

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Didn't she originally commit to ND?

Yes. Not sure what happened there... any Notre Dame fans know whether it was initiatated by Brown or by Notre Dame?

Sorry for the double reply. I believe she de-comitted from ND a short time after Anaya Peoples committed to ND. IMO Brown wasn't happy with McGraw recruiting another elite PG a class behind her. Peoples is on the record for saying to McGraw that she would play any position she was asked to play. I believe that at the time, McGraw was looking to play Brown at the 1, Peoples at the 2, and Gilbert at the 3 (after all of the current starters graduate). I believe this to be the case because after Brown withdrew, McGraw said she was still looking for a "true PG." Which ultimately lead to ND getting Nixon.

That's the scenario that makes sense to me. She would have been a probably second year starter at point for ND. I think she might be able to be the SG at Stanford considering Tara played Williams and Snizek together.

Jenna Brown initially committed to Notre Dame in January 2017, joining fellow commits Katlyn Gilbert (a combo guard herself) and Abby Prohaska.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish land verbal commitment from top-ranked junior point guard Jenna Brown

Anaya Peoples committed in June 2017 and, Reypl21 is correct, stated she will play anywhere in the Irish lineup. Considering she and Gilbert have swapped the lead and off roles for years in AAU and Peoples does a little bit of everything for her HS team, this was not surprising.
Top point guard prospect in 2019 class, Anaya Peoples, gives verbal to Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Brown de-committed from Notre Dame in July 2017. Her dad talked to ESPNw
"'Jenna just felt that she wasn't quite sure about Notre Dame," Matt Brown said. "She really likes Muffet [McGraw] and her staff. She did a lot of thinking about it before she decided to reopen her recruitment.'

"Matt Brown said his daughter is considering Virginia, Vanderbilt, Georgia Tech and Stanford." She chose Stanford shortly thereafter.

Since Ali Patberg had transferred to Indiana (btw, eligible this year), Coach McGraw and Recruiting Coordinator Niele Ivey went into full blitz mode to find a "true" PG and this resulted in the recruitment of Jordan Nixon.

I know you said it was your opinion that she didn't like the idea that MM got a commitment from Peoples that may have set this in motion. Maybe? Maybe not...after all, she's not walking into a totally wide open spot at Stanford, either. Plus, Gilbert and Peoples -- pretty highly rated recruits, themselves -- will be playing out of their HS position at ND if Nixon has a good frosh year at the point.

BTW, Gilbert has been slotted as a combo guard "this year" by McGraw, which means she may switch back to back-up PG next year (or fight for a starting job) once Marina Mabrey graduates.

McGraw clearly didn't want to be in a situation with few PGs headed into 2018 and beyond; not after last year. And she'll continue to aggressively go after guards that can handle the rock and run an offense in 2020: her interest in both Paige Bueckers and Caitlin Clark is well-known.

Best of luck to Brown at Stanford. Given that her sister went to Princeton, The Farm seems like a good match for her. I had no doubt she would've done well at ND with MM; and also have no doubt she'll do well with Tara. In the meantime, reports on Jordan Nixon from the overseas trip sound good...hopefully, this will be win-win for all concerned.

Last edited:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Milford, we're already out there on a limb regarding Christyn remember? However, I concur, and will join you. There's room left if anyone else cares to join us. :p
Just hope that Mr Bugs Bunny does not join you with his saw in tow. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I couldn’t post last night, because I hit my post limit commenting on the Seattle v. NY game earlier in the day.

The game was very close for 15 minutes or so, then the USA had a nice run. Colombia had a decent team, including a kid who made 5+ threes and a big kid who had 5+ blocks. She seemed to be the tallest opponent by far.

In terms of our kids, Liv showed that she could score inside and with a nice face-up shot. Her defense and rebounding were just ok. She needs to get stronger, even more than I thought.

Christyn couldn’t buy a basket last night, but she looked under control more than most of the USA players. She had a mediocre first game, then had 19 and 10, and then got sick. I don’t know where her energy level is, but the illness may have affected her. She clearly didn’t dominate, but I liked what I saw from her.

Reaction Score
Columbia provided an excellent tuneup for tomorrow's championship game. It should be against Canada. Their game against Argentina will not be a walk in the park. Like our game, the winner of that game plays for gold tomorrow. Argentina's only loss was to the USA.

Post script edit: I was right. Argentina gave Canada all they wanted. The game was tied at 66 with 2 min left. Canada went on a 7-2 run to close it out and win by 6 points 77-71.

Rough game to watch. The U-18's do not look nearly as cohesive as the U-17's, both on offense and defense. I stayed with it though, just to get glimpses of CW and ONO.
Just a nit and I refrained from posting earlier in the thread, but the South American opponent the USA just played is the team from Colombia, not Columbia.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rough game to watch. The U-18's do not look nearly as cohesive as the U-17's, both on offense and defense. I stayed with it though, just to get glimpses of CW and ONO.
Just a nit and I refrained from posting earlier in the thread, but the South American opponent the USA just played is the team from Colombia, not Columbia.
Latinas not Ivy Leaguers. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Oopps, thanks, I'll make that correction. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I couldn’t post last night, because I hit my post limit commenting on the Seattle v. NY game earlier in the day.

The game was very close for 15 minutes or so, then the USA had a nice run. Colombia had a decent team, including a kid who made 5+ threes and a big kid who had 5+ blocks. She seemed to be the tallest opponent by far.

In terms of our kids, Liv showed that she could score inside and with a nice face-up shot. Her defense and rebounding were just ok. She needs to get stronger, even more than I thought.

Christyn couldn’t buy a basket last night, but she looked under control more than most of the USA players. She had a mediocre first game, then had 19 and 10, and then got sick. I don’t know where her energy level is, but the illness may have affected her. She clearly didn’t dominate, but I liked what I saw from her.

If you look at the box scores, different players have been taking turns doing the heavy lifting. Let's hope that Christyn has her best game of the tournament tonight. Canada will be the best team they will play. I watched some of their game last night, they're good. They won't go down easy. Both teams want the gold. Which team wants it the most?

If anyone is tired, they have the rest of the summer to rest. The gold medals are there for the taking, IF you are bold and hungry enough to TAKE them!!! Lets go USA!!!

Reaction Score

Guilty as charged............must be my Ivy League education......

Reaction Score
CW looks a lot like Diamond Deshields to me, from the way she moves on the court, to the bit of flash she has in her game, even her jumper is a lil DD like. With some of the good guards that had Uconn in there final list but went elsewhere , it will be interesting to see how she turns out, but when all is said and done I’m picking her for MOP in April.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
CW looks a lot like Diamond Deshields to me, from the way she moves on the court, to the bit of flash she has in her game, even her jumper is a lil DD like. With some of the good guards that had Uconn in there final list but went elsewhere , it will be interesting to see how she turns out, but when all is said and done I’m picking her for MOP in April.
Christyn and Diamond are built differently, but both seem to move fluidly. I think Diamond has more vertical--too much--on her jumper. Christyn's is more consistent. CW seems to be more under control and likely more of a team player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If you look at the box scores, different players have been taking turns doing the heavy lifting. Let's hope that Crystal has her best game of the tournament tonight. Canada will be the best team they will play. I watched some of their game last night, they're good. Both teams want the gold. Which team wants it the most?

If anyone is tired, they have the rest of the summer to rest. The gold medals are there for the taking, IF you are bold and hungry enough to TAKE them!!! Lets go USA!!!
I think Christyn is playing tonight. Crystal is home in Murfreesboro, I believe. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score

Welcome to our (MilfordHusky) limb.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think Christyn is playing tonight. Crystal is home in Murfreesboro, I believe. ;)

Oops, I've got Crystal on my mind. Thanks. Although when they're both on the floor this season turning ankles and snuffing out hopes (of winning) of their opponents, it might become difficult to tell them apart.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Oops, I've got Crystal on my mind. Thanks. Although when they're both on the floor this season turning ankles and snuffing out hopes (of winning) of their opponents, it might become difficult to tell them apart.
Crystal is currently shorter and more muscular. Whether we can tell them apart may depend on what hairstyle she chooses this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Welcome to our (MilfordHusky) limb.
Maybe I should diet, just to be safe. :)

I have confidence in Christyn. Geno et al. will make her a great player.

Reaction Score

Expect to see her plenty in the future as she moved to Florida as a kid and has committed to South Florida after this upcoming senior year in high school.

It is actually interesting seeing the strides that Colombia has made this summer as they have benefitted from Brazil's federation issues in past years. That should actually make the upcoming South American Championship interesting to watch. Brazil and Argentina figure to be in good shape, but Venezuela could be a little vulnerable. Colombia appears to be a threat now. Chile and Paraguay also figure to be a factor because they have the most dangerous post scorer and scoring guard (though not necessarily the best) respectively.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Maybe I should diet, just to be safe. :)

I have confidence in Christyn. Geno et al. will make her a great player.

We're OK!!! This limb is "sturdy as a rock"!!! ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Expect to see her plenty in the future as she moved to Florida as a kid and has committed to South Florida after this upcoming senior year in high school.

It is actually interesting seeing the strides that Colombia has made this summer as they have benefitted from Brazil's federation issues in past years. That should actually make the upcoming South American Championship interesting to watch. Brazil and Argentina figure to be in good shape, but Venezuela could be a little vulnerable. Colombia appears to be a threat now. Chile and Paraguay also figure to be a factor because they have the most dangerous post scorer and scoring guard (though not necessarily the best) respectively.
I should have figured that Jose had at least one player in the tourney!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom