FIBA Americas Championship U18 Women - Final USA 83-Colombia 47 | The Boneyard

FIBA Americas Championship U18 Women - Final USA 83-Colombia 47

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

USA - 83 - Colombia 47
Box score

USA and Canada advance to the gold medal game Tuesday Aug 7 - 9:30 pm edt.

MEXICO CITY (FIBA U18 Americas Women’s Championship) – Canada and USA took a spot in the FIBA U18 Americas Women’s Championship 2018 after celebrating wins on the Semi-Finals of the continental championship.

USA earned a spot in the FIBA U18 Americas Women’s Championship Gold-Medal Match following an 83-47 win over Colombia. The game started evenly, with the team fighting the for the ball as if it was the last of the game. USA showed its dominant side on the second quarter and escaped to a 16-point lead after a 23-8 quarter. Colombia cut the difference to 10 points during the third quarter, but USA reacted and headed to the win following a 25-6 last quarter. Jenna Brown led the scoring for the USA with 17 points.

Canada won a spot in the Final of the FIBA U18 Americas Women’s Championship after defeating Argentina 77-71. The game was even from the get-go, as the teams traded baskets and the lead on the scoreboard. Argentina was led offensively by a brilliant Florencia Chagas, who had 17 points in the first two quarters of the game. Canada went into half-time with a 5-point lead.

Argentina had a better start on the second half and cut the difference to three points. Canada reacted with a 5-0 run and finished the third quarter with an 8-point lead on the scoreboard. Argentina tied the game at 66, but the Canadians responded with a 7-2, with less than 2 minutes remaining of the game. Canada celebrated the win and the qualification to the Final.

In the Reclassification Round of the FIBA U18 Americas Women’s Championship 2018, Puerto Rico defeated El Salvador 70-56, Chile defeated Mexico in a nail bitter 71-69, and both teams earned the right to play for 5th place. El Salvador and Mexico will play for 7th place.

Tomorrow on the last day of the FIBA U18 Americas Women’s Championship 2018:
7th place game – El Salvador vs Mexico - 3:00 pm edt
5th place game – Puerto Rico vs Chile - 5:00 pm edt
Bronze Medal Game – Colombia vs Argentina - 7:30 edt
Gold Medal Game – USA vs Canada - 9:30 pm edt

Colombia's overview - profile & roster

Team USA over view - profile & roster

Daily schedule

Official FIBA U18 Women's Championship web site

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m going out on a limb and predicting that Christyn scores tonight. ;)

Milford, we're already out there on a limb regarding Christyn remember? However, I concur, and will join you. There's room left if anyone else cares to join us. :p

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Milford, we're already out there on a limb regarding Christyn remember? However, I concur, and will join you. Got room for anyone else? :p
I thought she moved well and looked good the last game, though she shot 0-3. Yes, I’m out on a limb, but I’m not worried. Christyn is going to be really, really good.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I thought she moved well and looked good the last game, though she shot 0-3. Yes, I’m out on a limb, but I’m not worried. Christyn is going to be really, really good.

She read the landscape of that game perfectly. She knew the team did not need her to score to win against a lesser talented El Salvador team. So she played quarterback, set other players up and allowed them to jack up a few shots that she could have taken, and played defense. She didn't score and they still won by 60 points. I'd say it was a good call. :cool:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She read the landscape of that game perfectly. She knew the team did not need her to score to win against a lesser talented El Salvador team. So she played quarterback, set other players up and played defense. She didn't score and they won by 60 points. I'd say it was a good call. :cool:
Watch her movement on offense to maintain spacing and give her teammates good passing angles. She was taught well or has very good instincts. I think Coach will sculpt her into a masterpiece.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Watch her movement on offense to maintain spacing and give her teammates good passing angles. She was taught well, or has very good instincts. I think Coach will sculpt her into a masterpiece.

Team USA is on a collision course with Canada. They enter play today without a loss. Canada will be the best team they play in this tournament. I'm very interested to see how the legend and ONO fare as they vie for the gold tomorrow evening.

With respect for our admiration and belief in Williams, and the things we think she's going to do. No one can accuse us of sitting on the fence. ;)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Team USA is on a collision course with Canada. They enter play today without a loss. Canada will be the best team they play in this tournament. I'm very interested to see how the legend and ONO fare, as they and their teammates vie for the gold tomorrow evening.

With respect for our admiration and belief in Williams, and the things we think she's going to do. No one can accuse us of sitting on the fence. ;)
I think we can beat Canada with our B game, though maybe not our C- game. I agree that will be our toughest test. Is Amihere playing for Canada?

Carnac

Reaction Score
I think we can beat Canada with our B game, though maybe not our C- game. I agree that will be our toughest test. Is Amihere playing for Canada?

No, she's not on their roster. I recall reading a post or article that said that she had suffered a knee injury 6-7 months ago, and was done for the remainder of the season. The severity of the injury (I would imagine) would preclude her from participating in any basketball activities during the summer. Does anyone know anything different?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I have a question for our Baylor friends.

Why was Queen Egbo and Honesty Scott-Grayson replaced due to their trip to Italy but Nylassa Smith wasn't?

Reaction Score
Early in the game the US's seem intent on driving the lane and either getting stripped or throwing up a prayer. 9-7 Col. Could be their last lead though. The biggest edges the US possesses in this tournament are height and depth and they are overwhelming.

Reaction Score
With Columbia ahead 13-11 Walz inserts ONO and CW who spearhead a 7-0 run, ONO with 2 inside buckets and CW on a nifty 18 footer off a screen as the clock expired.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
is it me or does this USA team have a lot of 1 on 1 players? There are a couple that if you pass them the ball they are either gonna shot or drive and force!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Colombia lost to Canada 73-49 on day 1.

Reaction Score
did ONO just get the no call as she was mugged driving to the basket?

Reaction Score
the USA can't hit the broad side of a barn right now........Columbia outplaying them at both ends of the floor......USA up only 53-40..........Columbia playing good defense and really boxing out well...........they appear to be a well coached team

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow. Just tuned in and USA up only 55-41. Must be ugly.

Reaction Score
58-41 after three quarters..........I've only seen the second half as the USA lead has shrunk...........not shooting well from outside, inside or even foul shots...........Columbia may be the first team that the USA has played with some size............probably a good learning experience for the next game........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom