OT: - Fenway Park | The Boneyard

OT: Fenway Park

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While I’ve been a Yankee fan my entire life, I must confess that Fenway Park along with Wrigley Field are the two best stadiums in America to watch a ballgame. I had the opportunity to watch games in both stadiums some years back, and you just can’t beat the energy and intimacy of a classic old ballpark filled with enthusiastic fans.

Reaction Score
While I’ve been a Yankee fan my entire life, I must confess that Fenway Park along with Wrigley Field are the two best stadiums in America to watch a ballgame. I had the opportunity to watch games in both stadiums some years back, and you just can’t beat the energy and intimacy of a classic old ballpark filled with enthusiastic fans.

It is a neat stadium, but I will take the new designs all day over those old stadiums. Now the area around Fenway is much better than the modern parks, but that is why the owners like the new parks. It forces you to buy everything from them. So, ambiance goes to Fenway. Comfort, ease of access, sightlines, all go to the new parks.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is a neat stadium, but I will take the new designs all day over those old stadiums. Now the area around Fenway is much better than the modern parks, but that is why the owners like the new parks. It forces you to buy everything from them. So, ambiance goes to Fenway. Comfort, ease of access, sightlines, all go to the new parks.
I guess I’m a traditional sort a guy. As for owners wanting you to buy everything inside the park, that certainly is an issue with all the newer parks. Just like Fenway, Wrigley Field is also surrounded by great sports bars & restaurants. For me, that’s part of the attraction. Have a couple beers and a good burger at a reasonable price, and then go into the ballpark to watch the game.

Reaction Score
I guess I’m a traditional sort a guy. As for owners wanting you to buy everything inside the park, that certainly is an issue with all the newer parks. Just like Fenway, Wrigley Field is also surrounded by great sports bars & restaurants. For me, that’s part of the attraction. Have a couple beers and a good burger at a reasonable price, and then go into the ballpark to watch the game.

I got to get up Boston way for business this past May and the group was treated to a night game. Then one of those quirk storms blew in, dropped the temp down to low 40's and soaked us. Great time before at the bar, good, reasonably priced food and beer. Prices in the park, ouch.

Reaction Score
Many years ago, when Jim Rice had just started to learn how to play left field, there was a small section of plain wooden bleachers on the roof of the stadium on the left field side. It was like you were in the Goodyear Blimp.

Pearched up there on a night game was amazing.

Last edited:

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Today, if you have a real good seat($$$ too) in the lower level, you have to sit behind a NET.

WHY??..........because so many "fans" have got hit by foul balls while they were playing with their cell phones and not watching the game!

Reaction Score
I got to get up Boston way for business this past May and the group was treated to a night game. Then one of those quirk storms blew in, dropped the temp down to low 40's and soaked us. Great time before at the bar, good, reasonably priced food and beer. Prices in the park, ouch.
How many parks don’t have crazy prices

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
How many parks don’t have crazy prices
Most are overpriced. However, the Mercedes-Benz stadium in Atlanta did a good job of keeping things reasonably affordable. I was pleasantly surprised.

Reaction Score
Have gone to games in Dallas, Houston, Atlanta and Denver, and they are all fairly priced from tickets to food. They also have seats that are at least 13" wide, while Fenway's are about 11". Love going to Fenway 1-2x a year but its more for the overall ambience than the park itself. Fenway has improved through the years but its still old and not comfortable.

Reaction Score
Yankee Stadium was replaced...why not Fenway ? Owners too cheap? Thoughts?

Reaction Score
They tried few years ago don’t think they could figure out where to put it

Reaction Score
I went to Fenway for a game in the late 50's. After the game we hit one of the bars and I asked for Black Label. The bartender looked at me and said, "We have Narraganset." Thinking they didn't have any Black Label I said, "Let me have a Bud." He leaned over with his elbows on the bar and said, in a very distinct voice, "We have Narraganset." It turned out that every bar in that are sold only Narraganset beer. Hmm. Wonder who controlled that area?

Reaction Score
Went to a game at Busch stadium in the 90’s in my section all at the same time 4 different bud products being sold by the vendors. Yes I know who owned the team back then

Reaction Score
They tried few years ago don’t think they could figure out where to put it
Sox owners always were committed to a downtown stadium but as soon as they announced a tentative location, politics and other factors caused the cost to sky rocket. My impression is unlike NY, Mass. unwilling to foot major bill.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Sox owners always were committed to a downtown stadium but as soon as they announced a tentative location, politics and other factors caused the cost to sky rocket. My impression is unlike NY, Mass. unwilling to foot major bill.
Do you blame them after the Boston Tunnel fiasco.Head bang

Reaction Score
As much as I hate the Red Sox, viewing a game at Fenway is one of the best memories I have in life. Something to be said about history and it's significance in life. And the Yankees won the game to boot :)

Reaction Score
As long as you don’t mind terrible bleacher seats (Wrigley), or views behind poles (Fenway). ;^)

Reaction Score
The Atlanta stadium is very nice but was really great was that the food prices at the concessions in the stadium were very reasonable, There were many families there with kids.

Reaction Score
The Atlanta stadium is very nice but was really great was that the food prices at the concessions in the stadium were very reasonable, There were many families there with kids.
Are both baseball and football owned by the blanks ? I knew they kept football concessions low

Reaction Score
Yankee Stadium was replaced...why not Fenway ? Owners too cheap? Thoughts?
I live outside of Boston and have been to all 30 MLB ballparks (I believe 44 total ballparks that include multi generations of Teams parks, ie. Expos/Senators I have been to Jarry, Olympic, RFK and the new one). Anyhow, I have never heard anyone say they miss the old Boston Garden. If there was a new Fenway, same thing, no one would ever say they miss the old place.
When you factor in leg room, width of seats, sight lines (if you sit near the Pesky Pole you are facing the visitor's bullpen), Obstructed view seats, ticket prices, food prices, bathrooms, and the greasy stench of cooking underneath the grandstand, Fenway is low on the list for overall comfort. And I have seen the largest rats ever in the bleachers. I'm trying not to call it a dump, but it is.
As far as ticket prices, very high. Yankee stadium is higher. Most other ball parks have plenty of lower priced tickets. Many times at other parks I buy from scalpers on the street and can usually drive the price down. A couple of years ago I spent $132 for 4 tickets on Ebay for a game at Camden Yards that included parking and were shipped overnight. The seats were 4 rows back from the far end of the visitors dugout. Those seats are 400-500 at Fenway
In my opinion, Wrigley is nicer because it is so much cleaner. Both neighborhoods are great.

Reaction Score
I thought old Yankee stadium was great. The renovation they did in the mid 70's was really worth it. I live outside Boston, but not have been a Red Sox fan since 1986. I am just a baseball fan in general. I've been to some big games at Fenway (Game 6 in 75, the Bucky Dent playoff game in 78). The most fun I ever had at any game was the first Cubs game at Fenway in April of 2017. The place was packed with Cubbie fans. Most were very knowledgeable fans. I had a father/son next to me (Chicago transplants now living in Phoenix), the son brought his retired father to Fenway for his birthday. They say Yankees/Red Sox the night before.
It cost a lot of money to sit in those intimate seats at Fenway. As far as knowledgeable fans(no order), Boston, NY both teams, Phillies, Cubs. A lot of teams of stupid fans. Someone behind me at Dodger Stadium asked me how far from home plate to 1st base. I couldn't help myself being from Boston and told him 150'

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom