OT: - Fenway Park | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Fenway Park

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I thought old Yankee stadium was great. The renovation they did in the mid 70's was really worth it. I live outside Boston, but not have been a Red Sox fan since 1986. I am just a baseball fan in general. I've been to some big games at Fenway (Game 6 in 75, the Bucky Dent playoff game in 78). The most fun I ever had at any game was the first Cubs game at Fenway in April of 2017. The place was packed with Cubbie fans. Most were very knowledgeable fans. I had a father/son next to me (Chicago transplants now living in Phoenix), the son brought his retired father to Fenway for his birthday. They say Yankees/Red Sox the night before.
It cost a lot of money to sit in those intimate seats at Fenway. As far as knowledgeable fans(no order), Boston, NY both teams, Phillies, Cubs. A lot of teams of stupid fans. Someone behind me at Dodger Stadium asked me how far from home plate to 1st base. I couldn't help myself being from Boston and told him 150'
You were at the “Bucky *!#&@£! Dent” game. I’m jealous. ;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yankee Stadium was replaced...why not Fenway ? Owners too cheap? Thoughts?
New Yankees stadium is beautiful and the food is great, but it is absolutely soulless. I liked it before when you were closer to the action.

Fenway didn't sell out to make more money... why did the Yankees? Heartless money grubbers?

Reaction Score
Many Yankee and Red Sox fans make the trip to Camden Yards when they play the Orioles because even with the train or bus trip, tickets and concessions are still less expensive than going to a game at Yankee stadium or Fenway. Of course the fact that the Orioles downright stink has put a damper on ticket prices in Baltimore.

Reaction Score
I live outside of Boston and have been to all 30 MLB ballparks (I believe 44 total ballparks that include multi generations of Teams parks, ie. Expos/Senators I have been to Jarry, Olympic, RFK and the new one). Anyhow, I have never heard anyone say they miss the old Boston Garden. If there was a new Fenway, same thing, no one would ever say they miss the old place.
When you factor in leg room, width of seats, sight lines (if you sit near the Pesky Pole you are facing the visitor's bullpen), Obstructed view seats, ticket prices, food prices, bathrooms, and the greasy stench of cooking underneath the grandstand, Fenway is low on the list for overall comfort. And I have seen the largest rats ever in the bleachers. I'm trying not to call it a dump, but it is.
As far as ticket prices, very high. Yankee stadium is higher. Most other ball parks have plenty of lower priced tickets. Many times at other parks I buy from scalpers on the street and can usually drive the price down. A couple of years ago I spent $132 for 4 tickets on Ebay for a game at Camden Yards that included parking and were shipped overnight. The seats were 4 rows back from the far end of the visitors dugout. Those seats are 400-500 at Fenway
In my opinion, Wrigley is nicer because it is so much cleaner. Both neighborhoods are great.
Wow you don’t sound like any Sox fan I’ve ever talked too Most love Fenway and would miss it the old ballpark charm. These other teams fans and casual fans don’t care about the game it’s a social event spend more time eating and taking selfies .Give me a pretzel a beer and a hot dog that’s all I need get rid of the rest . I too have to all parks except Az and DC. Of course you can cheap tickets to orioles game they’ve stunk for years only the visitors fans go

Reaction Score
Wow you don’t sound like any Sox fan I’ve ever talked too Most love Fenway and would miss it the old ballpark charm. These other teams fans and casual fans don’t care about the game it’s a social event spend more time eating and taking selfies .Give me a pretzel a beer and a hot dog that’s all I need get rid of the rest . I too have to all parks except Az and DC. Of course you can cheap tickets to orioles game they’ve stunk for years only the visitors fans go
As I said I am not a Red Sox fan anymore. I haven't been since after the 86 World Series. I never blamed Bill Buckner. I blame McNamara for not going to the pen earlier. I was sitting up high behind first base at Shea for game 6 and the whole upper deck was vibrating. The place was nuts. I had to take a red eye back to Miami after the game. Was never a Sox fan again. Its a lot easier being just a baseball fan.

Reaction Score
Many Yankee and Red Sox fans make the trip to Camden Yards when they play the Orioles because even with the train or bus trip, tickets and concessions are still less expensive than going to a game at Yankee stadium or Fenway. Of course the fact that the Orioles downright stink has put a damper on ticket prices in Baltimore.
Most of the major city ballparks are filled with Red Sox fans when they come in to play. In cities like Dallas and Baltimore, you can purchase tickets directly from the team while in Boston, most have to buy through resellers. Big difference in price.

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE Ed's assessment, while a bit extreme, is accurate particularly regarding poor sight lines, size of seats, and smells. After the initial uproar regarding the closing of Fenway, predict the lower prices from being able to purchase seats directly from team would allow more to attend more often. Most of the fans that promote Fenway the most only go 1-2x per year. A lot of new stadiums are very cool - suspect Sox owners would build a super ball park if given a little political help.

Reaction Score
Sure cool if u want to be waited on or pay for luxury boxes like I said a social gathering for to many today out pricing the little guy Catering to only corporate or the wealthy that want to flaunt there money

Reaction Score
You were at the “Bucky *!#&@£! Dent” game. I’m jealous. ;)
Dent's homer turned a 2-0 boston lead to 3-2 NY. People forget that Reggie hit a solo shot in the 8th that was the difference in the 5-4 win. Reggie was money.
Years later I met Bucky Dent in South Florida. I didn't want to like him. He was a great guy, down to earth, no ego. Met his step father too, both of them were just nice people. I can't say that about many professional athletes.

Reaction Score
As I said I am not a Red Sox fan anymore. I haven't been since after the 86 World Series. I never blamed Bill Buckner. I blame McNamara for not going to the pen earlier. I was sitting up high behind first base at Shea for game 6 and the whole upper deck was vibrating. The place was nuts. I had to take a red eye back to Miami after the game. Was never a Sox fan again. Its a lot easier being just a baseball fan.
So because your team lost you quit being a fan sad very sad

Reaction Score
Most of the major city ballparks are filled with Red Sox fans when they come in to play. In cities like Dallas and Baltimore, you can purchase tickets directly from the team while in Boston, most have to buy through resellers. Big difference in price.
Ticket resellers have killed it for the average fan. The Red Sox were the first to offer a way to resell your season tickets. That grew into Stub Hub. Garth Brooks has a way to prevent reselling his tickets. Good for him
Season ticket prices vary widely. In Boston you pay the ticket price times 81 games, so your paying full price to be a season ticket holder. In Arizona, if you buy all 81 home games, you pay half price. That means resellers struggle to get face value.
I went to a Yankees game at Tampa. It was like a Yankees home game. They even had the NYFD that sang the National Anthem. He just retired and moved to Tampa. The Red Sox, Yankees and Cubs travel very well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yankee Stadium was replaced...why not Fenway ? Owners too cheap? Thoughts?

TRADITION!!! The fans like it, and don't want it replaced. Too much nostalgia.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

You would not believe the number of Red Sox and Notre Dame fans that live in the metropolitan area of Los Angeles. ND travels very well whenever they come to play our USC Trojans, and are well represented in the parking lot (tailgate parties) and in the stands. Plenty of room for everyone. The L.A. Coliseum currently holds 78,467. :) Lots of Red Sox fans in attendance in Anaheim when they play the Angels.

Reaction Score
The Cape Cod Baseball League just cancelled their league for the summer.

Reaction Score
I live outside of Boston and have been to all 30 MLB ballparks (I believe 44 total ballparks that include multi generations of Teams parks, ie. Expos/Senators I have been to Jarry, Olympic, RFK and the new one). Anyhow, I have never heard anyone say they miss the old Boston Garden. If there was a new Fenway, same thing, no one would ever say they miss the old place.
When you factor in leg room, width of seats, sight lines (if you sit near the Pesky Pole you are facing the visitor's bullpen), Obstructed view seats, ticket prices, food prices, bathrooms, and the greasy stench of cooking underneath the grandstand, Fenway is low on the list for overall comfort. And I have seen the largest rats ever in the bleachers. I'm trying not to call it a dump, but it is.
As far as ticket prices, very high. Yankee stadium is higher. Most other ball parks have plenty of lower priced tickets. Many times at other parks I buy from scalpers on the street and can usually drive the price down. A couple of years ago I spent $132 for 4 tickets on Ebay for a game at Camden Yards that included parking and were shipped overnight. The seats were 4 rows back from the far end of the visitors dugout. Those seats are 400-500 at Fenway
In my opinion, Wrigley is nicer because it is so much cleaner. Both neighborhoods are great.
Liked for the old Boston Garden review. My father took me to see Russell vs Chamberlin around 1962 or so. I remember needing to lie sideways on the seat to see the whole court. Never saw my father that mad before. He probably couldn’t even see the court from his seat.

Reaction Score
New Boston garden 2 people with broad shoulders can’t sit next to each other and lean back cause the seats are so tight

Reaction Score
New Boston garden 2 people with broad shoulders can’t sit next to each other and lean back cause the seats are so tight
How old is TD Garden? 20-25 years now? Time flies, hard to keep track.

Reaction Score
They just squeezed the seats in this past summer. The called it an upgrade. Lots of complaints last fall. People are getting bigger/longer, not smaller. Wrong direction to go. Jeremy Jacobs is cheap. The new Garden opened in 95, so its 25 years old. Guess I'll stay at home and watch

Reaction Score
They just squeezed the seats in this past summer. The called it an upgrade. Lots of complaints last fall. People are getting bigger/longer, not smaller. Wrong direction to go. Jeremy Jacobs is cheap. The new Garden opened in 95, so its 25 years old. Guess I'll stay at home and watch
This was years ago when the whalers were still in Hartford

Reaction Score
1588086755729.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99