Felicia Aiyeotan at Blair Academy | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Felicia Aiyeotan at Blair Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
With regard to your comment about Mike “constantly” getting kids from Nigeria “without birth certificates”, these specific NG Nigerian athletes have provided adequate proof of age as required by PCL, PIAA, AAU and NG for 3 years now. Please wish these young ladies well and take your issues up with Mike directly-you know, adult to adult.

These foreign kids also have to apply for and receive a US Visa - this is a very complex process and not fun, nor is the underlying information required by the US government easily faked. It is probably easier to use an overage kid on a little league team than to get a US visa with false documentation.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have read this about AEH on this site before- perhaps wriiten by you. Should this be the case, why the offer from Uconn? Does she have an offer, or am I mistaken about the whole affair. It is/would be un-Uconn-like to give out a scholarship to a player so young with AAU coaches questioning her readiness to perform at the Uconn level. What is it that You/AAU coaches/Uconn know? Just curious.
Let's get this part out the way first. AEH does have, is obviously deserving, and has accepted the UCONN offer. I am looking forward to watching her play in a UCONN uniform.

AEH was mentioned in the post was to provide yet another example of Philadelphia Belles AAU players ( the first was Felecia) being ranked ( sometimes considerably higher) in BlueStar rankings when compared to other ranking services like Prospect Nation and ESPN.
What I have written before and continue to believe is that AAU organizations like the Philadelphia Belles should not be in the rating ranking business because this creates a conflict of interest. (BlueStar BB and Philly Belles= Same organization). To be thorough the Belles are not the only ones that do this. In the past All Star Girls Report players have been elevated because they merely accepted an invitation to play in ASGR tournament.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Blair has been known for their over zealous recruiting of players. They win State prep every single year. They buy players of high abilities and tell players with less abilities they have no more money.
Blair won the Girls Basketball state Prep titles 2011-15. In 2011 Temi Fagbenle (Harvard. now at USC) was a senior. For 14 consecutive years prior to 2011 (1997-2010) the NJ Prep title was won by the Peddie School. Do you need the links to verify ? Why you so mad at Blair?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Blair is not eligible to play in the NJ TOC. Please clarify as to why?
Blair plays in the Mid-Atlantic Prep League (MAPL). MAPL rules govern how many league and non-league games, in season and post season participation and most significant the start & end date for basketball play. The NJ TOC falls outside of the window defined by MAPL for basketball-a winter sport. Hopefully you realize that the only criteria for playing in the NJ TOC is a .500 record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tournament_of_Champions_(NJSIAA)

Reaction Score
Let's get this part out the way first. AEH does have, is obviously deserving, and has accepted the UCONN offer. I am looking forward to watching her play in a UCONN uniform.

AEH was mentioned in the post was to provide yet another example of Philadelphia Belles AAU players ( the first was Felecia) being ranked ( sometimes considerably higher) in BlueStar rankings when compared to other ranking services like Prospect Nation and ESPN.
What I have written before and continue to believe is that AAU organizations like the Philadelphia Belles should not be in the rating ranking business because this creates a conflict of interest. (BlueStar BB and Philly Belles= Same organization). To be thorough the Belles are not the only ones that do this. In the past All Star Girls Report players have been elevated because they merely accepted an invitation to play in ASGR tournament.

Mike Flynn uses Blue Star rankings to lure kids to the Philly Belles. He promises them USA and McDonalds if they are studs. Example. Espinosa Hunter is #3 by Blue Star, yet ESPN has her ranked in the 50's and Prospect Nation has her ranked 47th. Seems ESPN and Prospects Nation are more in agreement. Former Uconn player (for a semester) Sade Edwards made McDonalds after she joined Philly Belles midway through the summer of her junior year. Got injured and didn't even play second half of July. Flynn promised McDonalds and delivered. Sinaya Chong refused to play for Belles and was not selected for McDonalds. Flynn and several Belles personnel are on the McDonalds committee. Flynn vote is worth 5 votes. He uses his political capital to make life great for a player or miserable. Mike Flynn is the same person who's blocking the Philly Comets from getting a Nike contract. He wants it all.

Reaction Score
CocoHusky & Hoopdreams, thanks for your info. But I'm still somewhat puzzled about AEH. The received info I have on her are all tied in one way or another with her assoc with, first Chong, her and then Edwards. It was said- if I remember correctly- that she was even a better shooter then Chong. While she made the USA team this summer (an accomplishment by all standards), reportings have not all been rosy. This is not a critique of her talents, or even where she is the ladder of the top 100. But giving a scholarship to a HS soph(?) makes me a bit uneasy. If only on general principles.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
CocoHusky & Hoopdreams, thanks for your info. But I'm still somewhat puzzled about AEH. The received info I have on her are all tied in one way or another with her assoc with, first Chong, her and then Edwards. It was said- if I remember correctly- that she was even a better shooter then Chong. While she made the USA team this summer (an accomplishment by all standards), reportings have not all been rosy. This is not a critique of her talents, or even where she is the ladder of the top 100. But giving a scholarship to a HS soph(?) makes me a bit uneasy. If only on general principles.
Evaluating talent is mostly in the eye of the beholder at that age. Evaluating personality and family and drive and 'fit' is a different issue and something that Geno and company excel at and can be determined at any age. She loves Uconn and Uconn likes her - she is talented whether she is ranked #1 or #25 or #50 as making the USA team proved. Will she continue to improve or reach a plateau ... who knows, but most kids do not peak in HS, but later in college or even later.
And the reality of recruiting is that it is getting started earlier in women's sports copying the men. With the USA basketball commitments for Geno, some of his recruiting time is limited and especially next spring and summer so getting a jump on folks they want is imperative. He probably has a three or four day camp with National team members this fall as well in the middle of one or another type of recruiting period.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Violations of this contact 'rule,' however, are pretty darn rampant and rarely, if ever, sanctioned.

Ahem.

The word "sanction" is a great example of a contronym - a word that may have two diametrically opposite meanings. To sanction may mean either to give approval or to censure. In this instance we can glean from the context of his comments that the poster surely was applying the censure definition.

A few other contronyms: handicap (advantage/disadvantage), dust (remove material/spread material), weather (withstand/wear away), screen (view/hide from view), left (departed from/remaining), hold up (support/hinder), oversight (careful supervision/neglect), and wind up (start/finish). And many more.

Enough already!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You are more than welcome. I understand your concern-HS Sophomore being awarded a scholarship. I do not share your concern because the rules do not prohibit it, recruiting especially at that age is risky for everyone concerned (Kids included) & the agreement is not binding and cannot be signed until November of the HS senior year -with parental involvement.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Mike Flynn uses Blue Star rankings to lure kids to the Philly Belles. He promises them USA and McDonalds if they are studs. Example. Espinosa Hunter is #3 by Blue Star, yet ESPN has her ranked in the 50's and Prospect Nation has her ranked 47th. Seems ESPN and Prospects Nation are more in agreement. Former Uconn player (for a semester) Sade Edwards made McDonalds after she joined Philly Belles midway through the summer of her junior year. Got injured and didn't even play second half of July. Flynn promised McDonalds and delivered. Sinaya Chong refused to play for Belles and was not selected for McDonalds. Flynn and several Belles personnel are on the McDonalds committee. Flynn vote is worth 5 votes. He uses his political capital to make life great for a player or miserable. Mike Flynn is the same person who's blocking the Philly Comets from getting a Nike contract. He wants it all.
I see you have many more issues with Mike and have managed to drag Sadie, Sinaya & the Comets names into this. Please stop.

Reaction Score

AEH was offered by Geno on potential. He and the staff envision her game continuing to grow. Also, she bled Uconn from day one. It was very unlike Geno, but he did offer her and she accepted as a sophomore. However, I think she has already reached a ceiling. It's not even close between her and Rella Boothe, who hasn't been offered by Geno.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
"The word" (your word) is wrong! Fee was entering her senior year at NG in good academic standing with 3.8 GPA and has already achieve the SAT scores required to play as an NCAA Freshmen. Send me a private message if you require further proof.

Mike could care less about her leaving NG, Fee’s AAU eligibility is over. Come Spring 2016 –start of AAU season-the only HS Seniors that can play in AAU show case events are those that are unsigned to NCAA institution.

This can be verified here:

http://image.aausports.org/dnn/girlsbasketball/EligiblityRules.pdf

Blair is part of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJISAA). Membership can be verified here.

http://www.njsiaa.org/member-information?page=1

With regard to your comment about Mike “constantly” getting kids from Nigeria “without birth certificates”, these specific NG Nigerian athletes have provided adequate proof of age as required by PCL, PIAA, AAU and NG for 3 years now. Please wish these young ladies well and take your issues up with Mike directly-you know, adult to adult.
tell 'em Mike :oops:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ahem.

The word "sanction" is a great example of a contronym - a word that may have two diametrically opposite meanings. To sanction may mean either to give approval or to censure. In this instance we can glean from the context of his comments that the poster surely was applying the censure definition.

A few other contronyms: handicap (advantage/disadvantage), dust (remove material/spread material), weather (withstand/wear away), screen (view/hide from view), left (departed from/remaining), hold up (support/hinder), oversight (careful supervision/neglect), and wind up (start/finish). And many more.

Enough already!
Cleave

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Cleave

Good catch. Consider blow up (expand/destroy), block out (develop/conceal), put out (generate/extinguish), below par (good in golf/ailing), and buckle (fasten/fall apart).

Reaction Score
Years ago, Blair was among the finest boarding schools in the country (my nephew went there) and had an impeccable reputation. Not so much today. While their academics are still highly regarded, they've been widely maligned for recruiting kids like crazy for their athletic programs, particularly the wrestling team- they've been National Prep champs for literally decades and are considered THE preeminent program in the nation. Amazing how they can do that with a student body of less than 500 kids total, in grades 9-12. Recruiting enables them to crush all competition, public and private (particularly publics that must play by the no-recruit rules).

For the past several years, their girls basketball program has been following the same paradigm as their wrestling program, recruiting top kids from all over, and that's enabled them to be among the best teams in New Jersey. Considering tuition, room & board runs an insane $50,000 plus per year, I'd guess Aiyeotan is getting one helluva freebie. And for just one year- that sure sounds like a hired gun to me.

The unethical recruiting that goes on in New Jersey is rampant and goes unchecked by the NJSIAA (the impotent organization that governs high school athletics in NJ). Parochial and private schools completely dominate in football and basketball, because they literally steal the very best athletes from the public schools with promises of a free ride, a better quality education, and the opportunity to play on championship teams every year. It all kinda smells.

With the epidemic of WCBB transfers seen this year, Aiyeotan's move shouldn't be seen as much of a shock but rather just one more precursor of what's going on in college bball today.

I went to a Catholic school. No one "recruited" anyone. For good athletes some got tuition reduced, some may have had it paid for.
No one went out searching for the best, but obviously the best were known. I see nothing wrong with offering kids a scholarship if they are great athletes if their parents cannot pay their way. All great athletes in the Catholic system don't get a "free ride". It is usually by need. Is that wrong? Kids go to Catholic schools for Education and because their parents believe they are better monitored than in the public system. Education isn't only about academics or religion and the kids that get this education generally --not always--get to go to very good colleges. Who would want to stop this? Remember Bias works both ways for and against some schools.

Reaction Score
Good catch. Consider blow up (expand/destroy), block out (develop/conceal), put out (generate/extinguish), below par (good in golf/ailing), and buckle (fasten/fall apart).
\
I like presently----I prefer the Bob Steele's usage in place of currently--in a while, in a little while. I shall be with you presently!

Reaction Score
"The word" (your word) is wrong! Fee was entering her senior year at NG in good academic standing with 3.8 GPA and has already achieve the SAT scores required to play as an NCAA Freshmen. Send me a private message if you require further proof.

Mike could care less about her leaving NG, Fee’s AAU eligibility is over. Come Spring 2016 –start of AAU season-the only HS Seniors that can play in AAU show case events are those that are unsigned to NCAA institution.

This can be verified here:

http://image.aausports.org/dnn/girlsbasketball/EligiblityRules.pdf

Blair is part of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJISAA). Membership can be verified here.

http://www.njsiaa.org/member-information?page=1

My lab partner in college was a Nigerian Chieftain(spelling?) Nigwae OKigwae (phonic) super nice guy, I learned to say Zed for Z, cross my 7's, and learned other very British phrases from him --his British English was impeccable.He taught me never to call a child "a cute little bugger"> He Always wore the traditional clothing which was colorful. Gracious,mannered and educated--my mental vision of Africans changed by many orders of magnitude.

Reaction Score
I went to a Catholic school. No one "recruited" anyone. For good athletes some got tuition reduced, some may have had it paid for.
No one went out searching for the best, but obviously the best were known. I see nothing wrong with offering kids a scholarship if they are great athletes if their parents cannot pay their way. All great athletes in the Catholic system don't get a "free ride". It is usually by need. Is that wrong? Kids go to Catholic schools for Education and because their parents believe they are better monitored than in the public system. Education isn't only about academics or religion and the kids that get this education generally --not always--get to go to very good colleges. Who would want to stop this? Remember Bias works both ways for and against some schools.

The top ranked football teams in the state, every year, (Bergen Catholic, St. Peters, St. Joseph's) DO RECRUIT and DO GO OUT SEARCHING FOR THE BEST. They cherry-pick the elite athletes from all over the state, and out-of-state, and do whatever they can get away with to encourage them to transfer. And that is unethical and illegal in New Jersey. You are sadly mistaken if you think it's about "academics," "monitoring," or "religion" for these top athletes and their parents. It's about the publicity that comes with winning championships and getting that prized college football scholarship.

The same for the top ranked basketball teams in New Jersey, year in and year out (St. Anthony's, St.Benedict's, Roselle Catholic). They DO recruit and they DO go "searching for the best." It's no secret, and it is an issue of great concern for the many public school athletic programs that yearly are decimated by illegal recruiting and transfers. Recruiting has killed any kind of fair competition.

The only "bias" is that which results from the unlevel, unfair playing field created when so many of the best athletes are illegally recruited away from the publics (and non-publics) in New Jersey and transfer to the parochial and private school powerhouses, so they can continue to dominate their chosen sports and gain acclaim and recognition (and to entice increased enrollment at these tuition-driven schools). The issue of illegal recruiting in New Jersey is so important that it's being litigated in the courts right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score

While I don't follow HS & AAU ball much except to read reports, it is apparent that there is a symbiotic relationship between ranking services and AAU coaches/tournament organizers. Flynn is an example of someone who does both but the problems mentioned aren't exclusive to him. Look at UConn verbal Molly Bent. A total unknown and unranked up till now but watch the rankings that come out in October and I'll bet she appears just like Chong appeared a few years ago.

I agree that the McDAA picks have a lot of bias in them. Tenn is usually loaded with McDAA's and yet can't get to a FF.

I can also guess why Espinoza-Hunter didn't wow the AAU recruiters. All the games I have seem on streams are showcases for individual skills. Team skills are almost non-existant as players show off their individual moves A nasty crossover is much more appreciated than a crisp no look pass. And I was under the impression that McDonald AA's are picked based on HS play, not AAU play. I'll wait till I see Sadie Edwards play at USC before I agree she got her award solely because of Flynn. And why should a July AAU injury have any bearing on her HS status?

Espinoza-Hunter got the most minutes in the U-16 tournament. I watched most of the games and what I saw was that she played with a team-concept, passing, setting screens, playing defense etc. Many of her team mates had great skills when they had the ball in their hands but were useless without it. Some players are great while others add the ability to make their team mates great. I checked out the coaches for the U-16 team and Flynn wasn't on the list.

Espinoza-Hunter can shoot the ball and she is all about team. My guess is that UConn like her ability to put the ball in the hoop, her hands, her passing skills, her ability to run the floor and her attitude. Those things are likely what Geno likes about her. He values those things more than a fancy dribble or a bunch of acrobatic shots that rarely go in.

(a fancy dribble or a bunch of acrobatic shots that rarely go in) - which is what AAU games consist of for the most part.

Reaction Score
AEH was offered by Geno on potential. He and the staff envision her game continuing to grow. Also, she bled Uconn from day one. It was very unlike Geno, but he did offer her and she accepted as a sophomore. However, I think she has already reached a ceiling. It's not even close between her and Rella Boothe, who hasn't been offered by Geno.

And therein lies the key. I've read that Boothe is maybe even better than Walker. I've also read that she is poison. I hear she is now playing in Fla at some athletic factory disguised as a prep school. The fact that UConn hasn't been associated with such an obviously skilled and talented player should give us hint about what UConn looks for and what they avoid. Geno is in the fortunate and enviable position of being able to pass on tainted talent.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
My lab partner in college was a Nigerian Chieftain(spelling?) Nigwae OKigwae (phonic) super nice guy, I learned to say Zed for Z, cross my 7's, and learned other very British phrases from him --his British English was impeccable.He taught me never to call a child "a cute little bugger"> He Always wore the traditional clothing which was colorful. Gracious,mannered and educated--my mental vision of Africans changed by many orders of magnitude.
Just an FYI - the crossed 7 is actually germanic in origin - story goes that an English spy in one of the world wars was actually caught because he drew suspicion writing a note without crossing his 7. It has since spread widely in Europe - and in scientific communities as it creates a much clearer distinction between the written 1 and 7

Reaction Score
Just an FYI - the crossed 7 is actually germanic in origin - story goes that an English spy in one of the world wars was actually caught because he drew suspicion writing a note without crossing his 7. It has since spread widely in Europe - and in scientific communities as it creates a much clearer distinction between the written 1 and 7

Thanks, interesting---I appreciate learning about things I take for granted. To think I could have been a spy --but only after meeting a Nigerian Chieftain. thanks

Reaction Score
Ahem.

Enough already!

Recent Category on Jeopardy !!! But it was labeled -----Ahem! or Contronym's

Reaction Score
While I don't follow HS & AAU ball much except to read reports, it is apparent that there is a symbiotic relationship between ranking services and AAU coaches/tournament organizers. Flynn is an example of someone who does both but the problems mentioned aren't exclusive to him. Look at UConn verbal Molly Bent. A total unknown and unranked up till now but watch the rankings that come out in October and I'll bet she appears just like Chong appeared a few years ago.

I agree that the McDAA picks have a lot of bias in them. Tenn is usually loaded with McDAA's and yet can't get to a FF.

I can also guess why Espinoza-Hunter didn't wow the AAU recruiters. All the games I have seem on streams are showcases for individual skills. Team skills are almost non-existant as players show off their individual moves A nasty crossover is much more appreciated than a crisp no look pass. And I was under the impression that McDonald AA's are picked based on HS play, not AAU play. I'll wait till I see Sadie Edwards play at USC before I agree she got her award solely because of Flynn. And why should a July AAU injury have any bearing on her HS status?

Espinoza-Hunter got the most minutes in the U-16 tournament. I watched most of the games and what I saw was that she played with a team-concept, passing, setting screens, playing defense etc. Many of her team mates had great skills when they had the ball in their hands but were useless without it. Some players are great while others add the ability to make their team mates great. I checked out the coaches for the U-16 team and Flynn wasn't on the list.

Espinoza-Hunter can shoot the ball and she is all about team. My guess is that UConn like her ability to put the ball in the hoop, her hands, her passing skills, her ability to run the floor and her attitude. Those things are likely what Geno likes about her. He values those things more than a fancy dribble or a bunch of acrobatic shots that rarely go in.

(a fancy dribble or a bunch of acrobatic shots that rarely go in) - which is what AAU games consist of for the most part.

Espinosa Hunter is fundamentally sound. She can shoot when she's open and has a high basketball IQ. Still needs to work on creating her own shot. Has trouble scoring against a man to man defense. Has difficulty handling the ball against above average defenders. Has to work on her footwork on defense. The danger that I see is that she's already been promised a lot of things and her early commitment may have taken away her hunger to get better as a player. Watched her the entire summer and did not really stand out at all. She has a ways to go before she makes any significant impact at Uconn.

Last edited by a moderator:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hoopsdreams - interesting observations, but obviously USA basketball had a different impression of her, selecting her as 'one in a dozen' for the U16 team, and the misguided coach of the U16s gave her more court time than any other player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom