Felicia Aiyeotan at Blair Academy | The Boneyard

Felicia Aiyeotan at Blair Academy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know what the transfer rules are in NJ but that wouldn't fly in California. Especially since The Blair coach went to her legal guardians camp this summer and talked to her real mother. Unfortunately the consequences of these sort of things will end up impacting other players by making it more difficult to take advantage of the opportunities her and the other girl who attended NG but recently graduated had. I personally saw no problem with allowing them that opportunity, but now it just seems like there seems to be just a bit too much funny stuff involved- recruiting wise and stuff.

The rational for allowing them to go to high school in America was not framed in the context of their athletic abilities. Rather that those abilities would help to farther their education. It seems like this transfer is geared purely for athletic reasons. Why else would a girl leave the state her senior year. I realize that this is not the first time that players have done so, transfer to another state for a better basketball program, but in this case we are talking about a player from another country who need a dispensation to attend in the first place. Does not look good.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
HS recruiting really has few rules, and especially across state lines, and often between school systems - private schools vs. public schools, etc.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Was she one of the Neumann-Goretti students that was accused of age fudging?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes - if you read the article linked above. Seems she got caught in the middle and she wanted to get away from that.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Yes - if you read the article linked above. Seems she got caught in the middle and she wanted to get away from that.

No No No. Absolutely not, there was no age fudging Neumann-Goretti students. Multiple agencies (Archdioceses of Phipadelphia, PIAA, and Neuman-Goretti) investigated and determined that the Girls were here in US legally and of High school age. One disgruntled coach from a rival high school (Archbishop Wood) did not accept this and send an anonymous letter to the University of Texas despairing one of the girls after she had accepted a scholarship to play at Texas. That Coach has since been fired.
http://www.phillyvoice.com/smear-campaign-girls-basketball-neumann-goretti/

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That should help her improve. All 3 can come to UCONN. :cool:
Despite the presence of Andra Espinoza Hunter and Honesty Scott Grayson on Blair's team I am not sure Fee is going to a better basketball situation. Last year all NG Senior starters got D1 scholarships and they would have been loaded again. NG is also in a better league (Philadelphia Catholic) than Blair (Mid Atlantic Prep League). NG also plays a national schedule including Nike Tournaments of Champions. She is in an immensly better academic situation at Blair however, and if she had any AAU eligibility left that would have been interesting with the NJ Sparks trying to lure her away from Philly Belles.

Reaction Score
Years ago, Blair was among the finest boarding schools in the country (my nephew went there) and had an impeccable reputation. Not so much today. While their academics are still highly regarded, they've been widely maligned for recruiting kids like crazy for their athletic programs, particularly the wrestling team- they've been National Prep champs for literally decades and are considered THE preeminent program in the nation. Amazing how they can do that with a student body of less than 500 kids total, in grades 9-12. Recruiting enables them to crush all competition, public and private (particularly publics that must play by the no-recruit rules).

For the past several years, their girls basketball program has been following the same paradigm as their wrestling program, recruiting top kids from all over, and that's enabled them to be among the best teams in New Jersey. Considering tuition, room & board runs an insane $50,000 plus per year, I'd guess Aiyeotan is getting one helluva freebie. And for just one year- that sure sounds like a hired gun to me.

The unethical recruiting that goes on in New Jersey is rampant and goes unchecked by the NJSIAA (the impotent organization that governs high school athletics in NJ). Parochial and private schools completely dominate in football and basketball, because they literally steal the very best athletes from the public schools with promises of a free ride, a better quality education, and the opportunity to play on championship teams every year. It all kinda smells.

With the epidemic of WCBB transfers seen this year, Aiyeotan's move shouldn't be seen as much of a shock but rather just one more precursor of what's going on in college bball today.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
HR - not sure I agree on a couple of points -
Private prep schools have always recruited for sports and yes, public school systems can't technically do that (though kids have been known to stay with relatives or friends, or parents to move, simply to get into a different catchment area for a public school team.) But is that really any different from D1 vs. D2/3 schools. Lou I believe changed preps, Sue changed preps, etc. amongst Uconn recruits. Who wouldn't want their kid to go to an academically excellent/facilities rich school for free, that also has great coaching.

And based on the links, it sounds like her legal guardian felt what went down in Philly last year was unpleasant for Felicia, and a change of scenery and getting away from that was a good thing - this is a young girl in a foreign country that an adult is putting in the middle of controversy for no good reason. I can imagine it was very troubling for her, regardless of how well BG and the community supported her.

It seems every few years there is a flare-up of this nature in HS sports, usually involving rival coaches putting young kids in the middle of something that they have no real understanding of.

And interestingly, you are not seeing complaints being reported from her former school or coach.

The coach who initiated all this unpleasantness sounds like a real nasty piece of work - turning his back on the whole team rather than shake hands - he should have been fired when it first surfaced that he sent the emails in November - but was allowed to resign in Feb.

Reaction Score
Private prep schools have always recruited for sports and yes, public school systems can't technically do that (though kids have been known to stay with relatives or friends, or parents to move, simply to get into a different catchment area for a public school team.) But is that really any different from D1 vs. D2/3 schools. Lou I believe changed preps, Sue changed preps, etc. amongst Uconn recruits. Who wouldn't want their kid to go to an academically excellent/facilities rich school for free, that also has great coaching.

And based on the links, it sounds like her legal guardian felt what went down in Philly last year was unpleasant for Felicia, and a change of scenery and getting away from that was a good thing - this is a young girl in a foreign country that an adult is putting in the middle of controversy for no good reason. I can imagine it was very troubling for her, regardless of how well BG and the community supported her.

It seems every few years there is a flare-up of this nature in HS sports, usually involving rival coaches putting young kids in the middle of something that they have no real understanding of.

And interestingly, you are not seeing complaints being reported from her former school or coach.

The coach who initiated all this unpleasantness sounds like a real nasty piece of work - turning his back on the whole team rather than shake hands - he should have been fired when it first surfaced that he sent the emails in November - but was allowed to resign in Feb.

Uc- No argument. I can really only speak to what I have seen in New Jersey for the past 20/30 years. My biggest gripe is that the recruiting by private and parochial school coaches, which goes on overtly and unabated in high schools here (and even middle schools) and results in the same 3 or 4 teams dominating football and basketball championships every year... that deprives most student-athletes of the opportunity, and the right, to compete on a level playing field. And not against teams that are nothing more than unfairly recruited all-star teams. Playing as hard as they might, knowing they could never even sniff a championship.

In NJ, we have a high school athletics governing body (NJSIAA) which is feckless and has done nothing to stanch the flow of the best athletes transferring to the most successful private/parochial athletic programs. Not seeking a better education...but being recruited and transferring only for athletic advantage. It clearly has nothing to do with academic opportunity. Seeing this in college is one thing- to see this happening in high school saddens me.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

UC, Fee is transferring from 1 private school (Neuman-Goretti) to another (Blair Academy) across state lines- PA to NJ. Personal feelings about who is paying the tuition, the amount of the tuition, who is recruiting whom should not matter IMO. It is not like D2/D3, it is exactly like the majority of DI athletics. If the school has an opening, you have the ability, a price is negotiated (free for some sports & partial for other, full tuition for some athletes). I have witnessed firsthand much of what Huskies Rule is talking about and deplore most of it. The one part I don’t deplore is for the most part the opportunity to transfer to a better academic situation is a direct result of the gifts and hard work of the player. It would be the same is Fee were a gifted violinist and Julliard came calling.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Private schools have always recruited. I don't know what the rules are, but it's not new. My high school was always at a disadvantage against Notre Dame of Bridgeport and Fairfield Prep. In may places, including Philly, the Catholic and prep schools have their own conferences.

Yes, Sue transferred to CTK to get better competition, as did Lou to Mater Dei. I think that Napheesa also transferred after her first year, possibly as part of a move. Andi transferred. De'Janae moved from Riverdale Baptist, a hoops powerhouse, to public school to aid her legally blind brother. Kids change schools for various reasons.

Reaction Score
How is Aiyeotan ranked in Blue Star's top 5 ? I am told she can barely make a lay-up. Has anyone here seen her play ?

Reaction Score
Where I live, recruiting is NOT allowed. It is against the rules. Period. It is required that the student-athlete (or his/her family) makes the initial contact and inquiry relative to transferring. Coaches are prohibited from making that first contact and expressing their interest in seeing an athlete they'd like to get transfer. Violations of this contact 'rule,' however, are pretty darn rampant and rarely, if ever, sanctioned. Recruiting by coaches (and fans and alumni) of the most successful and influential parochial and private schools is ignored with the wink of an eye. The top athletes here are routinely recruited and they transfer all the time...rules and ethics be damned.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How is Aiyeotan ranked in Blue Star's top 5 ? I am told she can barely make a lay-up. Has anyone here seen her play ?
She is ranked that high in Blue star because she is in the same AAU organization affiliated with the Blue Star- Mike Flynn's Philadelphia Belles. Andra Espinoza-Hunter is ranked #3 by Blue Star for 2017 with the same explanation. I have seen her play 5 times: 3 AAU and 2 Games in HS. Came away underwhelmed each time. She played limited minutes Less than 1/3 of the game each time and once in AAU did not play at all. I talked to quite a few AAU coaches about her and the consensus was that she would have to make a giant leap to be a UCONN contributor.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She is ranked that high in Blue star because she is in the same AAU organization affiliated with the Blue Star- Mike Flynn's Philadelphia Belles. Andra Espinoza-Hunter is ranked #3 by Blue Star for 2017 with the same explanation. I have seen her play 5 times: 3 AAU and 2 Games in HS. Came away underwhelmed each time. She played limited minutes Less than 1/3 of the game each time and once in AAU did not play at all. I talked to quite a few AAU coaches about her and the consensus was that she would have to make a giant leap to be a UCONN contributor.
Has happened before - the big Girl wasn't highly regarded and ended as a NPOY. She also has the advantage of having only recently started playing so the improvement year over year should be more significant than someone who has been playing since peewee.

Reaction Score
I don't know what the transfer rules are in NJ but that wouldn't fly in California. Especially since The Blair coach went to her legal guardians camp this summer and talked to her real mother. Unfortunately the consequences of these sort of things will end up impacting other players by making it more difficult to take advantage of the opportunities her and the other girl who attended NG but recently graduated had. I personally saw no problem with allowing them that opportunity, but now it just seems like there seems to be just a bit too much funny stuff involved- recruiting wise and stuff.

The rational for allowing them to go to high school in America was not framed in the context of their athletic abilities. Rather that those abilities would help to farther their education. It seems like this transfer is geared purely for athletic reasons. Why else would a girl leave the state her senior year. I realize that this is not the first time that players have done so, transfer to another state for a better basketball program, but in this case we are talking about a player from another country who need a dispensation to attend in the first place. Does not look good.
Blair Academy is a private Prep school. They are not a part of the NJ State Athletic Association. Anyone that Blair wants to pay for can go there with no issues. Mike Flynn is upset, as she left both Philly Belles and Neumann Goretti. Flynn has been constantly getting girls from Nigeria, without birth certificates. The word is she used up all of her eligibility at NG and had no choice but to go to Prep school to get her another year academically.

Reaction Score
Blair has been known for their over zealous recruiting of players. They win State prep every single year. They buy players of high abilities and tell players with less abilities they have no more money.

Reaction Score

At 6'9", she has improved immeasurably over the past 2-3 years, she has soft hands, can shoot the ball and has back to the basket moves. Her biggest deficiencies are stamina and quickness. She won't be beating many up the the court. I suspect that she will continue to grow into her body.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Blair Academy is a private Prep school. They are not a part of the NJ State Athletic Association. Anyone that Blair wants to pay for can go there with no issues. Mike Flynn is upset, as she left both Philly Belles and Neumann Goretti. Flynn has been constantly getting girls from Nigeria, without birth certificates. The word is she used up all of her eligibility at NG and had no choice but to go to Prep school to get her another year academically.

"The word" (your word) is wrong! Fee was entering her senior year at NG in good academic standing with 3.8 GPA and has already achieve the SAT scores required to play as an NCAA Freshmen. Send me a private message if you require further proof.

Mike could care less about her leaving NG, Fee’s AAU eligibility is over. Come Spring 2016 –start of AAU season-the only HS Seniors that can play in AAU show case events are those that are unsigned to NCAA institution.

This can be verified here:

http://image.aausports.org/dnn/girlsbasketball/EligiblityRules.pdf

Blair is part of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJISAA). Membership can be verified here.

http://www.njsiaa.org/member-information?page=1

With regard to your comment about Mike “constantly” getting kids from Nigeria “without birth certificates”, these specific NG Nigerian athletes have provided adequate proof of age as required by PCL, PIAA, AAU and NG for 3 years now. Please wish these young ladies well and take your issues up with Mike directly-you know, adult to adult.

Reaction Score
Private schools have always recruited. I don't know what the rules are, but it's not new. My high school was always at a disadvantage against Notre Dame of Bridgeport and Fairfield Prep.

The rules say all of this recruiting in CT is illegal. But the CIAC is disinterested in enforcing the rules - too much work and often hard to prove. The coaches who recruit know how to do it without leaving any smoking guns. Happens in football, soccer, basketball, lax, and maybe other sports.

Reaction Score
She is ranked that high in Blue star because she is in the same AAU organization affiliated with the Blue Star- Mike Flynn's Philadelphia Belles. Andra Espinoza-Hunter is ranked #3 by Blue Star for 2017 with the same explanation. I have seen her play 5 times: 3 AAU and 2 Games in HS. Came away underwhelmed each time. She played limited minutes Less than 1/3 of the game each time and once in AAU did not play at all. I talked to quite Uconna few AAU coaches about her and the consensus was that she would have to make a giant leap to be a UCONN contributor.

I have read this about AEH on this site before- perhaps wriiten by you. Should this be the case, why the offer from Uconn? Does she have an offer, or am I mistaken about the whole affair. It is/would be un-Uconn-like to give out a scholarship to a player so young with AAU coaches questioning her readiness to perform at the Uconn level. What is it that You/AAU coaches/Uconn know? Just curious.

Reaction Score
"The word" (your word) is wrong! Fee was entering her senior year at NG in good academic standing with 3.8 GPA and has already achieve the SAT scores required to play as an NCAA Freshmen. Send me a private message if you require further proof.

Mike could care less about her leaving NG, Fee’s AAU eligibility is over. Come Spring 2016 –start of AAU season-the only HS Seniors that can play in AAU show case events are those that are unsigned to NCAA institution.

This can be verified here:

http://image.aausports.org/dnn/girlsbasketball/EligiblityRules.pdf

Blair is part of the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJISAA). Membership can be verified here.

http://www.njsiaa.org/member-information?page=1

With regard to your comment about Mike “constantly” getting kids from Nigeria “without birth certificates”, these specific NG Nigerian athletes have provided adequate proof of age as required by PCL, PIAA, AAU and NG for 3 years now. Please wish these young ladies well and take your issues up with Mike directly-you know, adult to adult.

Blair is not eligible to play in the NJ TOC. Please clarify as to why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom