Feelings on the downfall of our historic rivals? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Feelings on the downfall of our historic rivals?

Reaction Score
cuse lost to a bubble unc team tonight DESPITE getting 36 points on 14-21 shooting from cole swider. yikes.
They're going out on a 4 game losing streak and finish with a losing record if they lose to Miami...potentially 6 if they get bounced out of the conference tourney and the CBI. I'd really hate to see it. /s

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If someone has some free time, a thread of all Cuse’s hot takes from their board and twitter over the last feed years would be a great off-season thread. The summer would go be so quick

Reaction Score
The very word "Kentucky" is low-hanging fruit for the snobbish sensibilities of a Nutmegger. That's part of the way we don't look so good to a lot of others.

Don't get me wrong; I've lived more than 4 decades in nice places in Hartford, Fairfield, and New Haven counties, as well as Rochester, Boston, both suburban counties on Long Island, and Manhattan.

I'm writing these words from Louisville, where I've been since December 23rd. It's at least my 10th time since 1991, and I`ve always liked it. There's a lot to like.

Pitino's downfall, and Mack's flame-out make U of L look particularly ripe & juicy, if you're predisposed to equating the consolidated Louisville metro city, Cardinal basketball's self-inflicted wounds, and the Commonwealth of Kentucky, but it's cheap shot and doesn't really add up.

Tom Jurich prepared for and then outmaneuvered Warde Manuel & UConn for the final ACC slot, and Louisville was a better fit. Notre Dame should have been the odd one out, playing basketball with its Catholic brethren.

If you don't care about football (I don't), then right now it looks like we're in a better place. Does it sustain long term? I don't know, but I'm old enough that it won't affect me if it all goes south for the Big East.

It's understandable that most here would dislike UofL, because they beat us at a time when it hurt the most. But the city is nice and getting better, and the university is as well.

As to the thread's focus, I DON'T hate to see it happen that Syracuse finished the game with Swider falling a point short of a opponent's scoring record, and that the Orange lost to an 8.5 point spread, after being up with the ball with 15 seconds.
Wasn’t even talking about the university. Just gave my impressions of the city from two business trips. And guess what — I’m not sorry that I have opinions.

Reaction Score
A good chunk of our historic rivals aren’t doing so hot these days..Pitt, Cuse, GTown, BC, L’Ville* all in shambles. What is your general feeling about this development? Do we have room to talk given our struggles towards the end of the AAC days? Do we get to boast because they destroyed the old Big East?
Animated GIF

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I’ll laugh at them for now with the full understanding they were laughing at us a years ago. Things can change quick

Reaction Score
I’ll laugh at them for now with the full understanding they were laughing at us a years ago.
This is why we laugh! We got very lucky that not only was the right coach available, but chose to come here at the right time. It’s much easier to make the wrong hire and sink even farther into a hole. Pitt is the embodiment of that. Ville is probably in the best position to rebound from that group.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I will hold the candle Till it burns up my arm. Oh, I'll keep takin' punches until their will grows tired. Oh, I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind. Hey, I won't change direction and I won't change my mind.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Syracuse and Pitt, sure. They stayed with us in the league after the first defection, and only left when given an offer that we would have taken if it were us.

BC -- absolutely not. They have stated New England was only big enough for one of us. I'll take them at their word.
I’m pretty sure the BC thing was a football boast. But whatever. What really makes spectator sports fun over the long haul are natural regional rivalries. Georgetown, Pitt and Villanova are more periodic rivals based on how good they are when we are good. In Big East hoops terms, I don’t think there is anyone close to Syracuse as our fun rivalry although on pure geography PC , BC and the Johnnies, maybe Seton Hall and Rutgers make more sense but never had the pizzazz of our Syracuse rivalry. From my perspective, it would be lots more fun to be in a league with SU and BC. It’s for others to give a poo what the administrations of those schools did now several years ago. As for LVille, they might as well be Pepperdine for what they did for me. I’ve never been to Louisville but I guarantee Pepperdine has a bazillion times better campus.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You can throw Notre Dame in that group also
I despise that school for what they have done to college sports in general.
BC is spiteful step sister who is successful at really nothing
Pitt tries so hard not to be a POS but it just plain stinks
Cuse - enuf said about Canada's team

Always liked L'ville - their fans are rabid and knowledgeable but their athletic department loves to hire coaches with so much hair they make Cousin Itt look like he's bald. Bad decisions awarded with ugly results.

I wish that the OBE was still a thing but if not, just happy that UConn could be a part of that glory and be the most successful of all the teams - little old UConn from the Yankee Conference!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Syracuse and Pitt, sure. They stayed with us in the league after the first defection, and only left when given an offer that we would have taken if it were us.
I know you like to come off as the voice of reason but no sale here. Especially Cuse, they pulled up the ladder for us after they took it so screw 'em.

Reaction Score
yeah not sure what those willing to accept cuse and pitt back into the fold think is gonna happen to their football programs... only way it could happen is if there's a giant merger of the two conferences resulting in the "Big East Coast Conference"

26 teams for bball and 16 teams for football, including ND as a full member.
not sure that would ever happen, but would be cool

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
People care about BC? They play hockey, right?

Georgetown's situation is sad, it really is - their record, the 5 fans at their game vs us... wow. To be honest I don't want anyone in the BE doing badly, it's our league, our teams, and I want to see them all doing well.

Since the others aren't in our league I don't really care other than I honestly don't want to see any college fail. OK, maybe Duke :D

Reaction Score
Syracuse won't be down for long because Brad Stevens is going to resign his position as president of the Celtics to become Cuse's head coach.

Also, the only reason Syracuse lost to Georgetown this season is because the Georgetown players have so much respect for Syracuse that they played far and away their best basketball of the season to beat them.

These are things I've learned from Syracusefan.com

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure the BC thing was a football boast. But whatever. What really makes spectator sports fun over the long haul are natural regional rivalries. Georgetown, Pitt and Villanova are more periodic rivals based on how good they are when we are good. In Big East hoops terms, I don’t think there is anyone close to Syracuse as our fun rivalry although on pure geography PC , BC and the Johnnies, maybe Seton Hall and Rutgers make more sense but never had the pizzazz of our Syracuse rivalry. From my perspective, it would be lots more fun to be in a league with SU and BC. It’s for others to give a poo what the administrations of those schools did now several years ago. As for LVille, they might as well be Pepperdine for what they did for me. I’ve never been to Louisville but I guarantee Pepperdine has a bazillion times better campus.
Pepperdine may have the most beautiful campus I this country

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Syracuse won't be down for long because Brad Stevens is going to resign his position as president of the Celtics to become Cuse's head coach.

Also, the only reason Syracuse lost to Georgetown this season is because the Georgetown players have so much respect for Syracuse that they played far and away their best basketball of the season to beat them.

These are things I've learned from Syracusefan.com
Don’t forget that Mark Few and Billy Donovan have signed on to be Brad’s assistants.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom