Feelings on the downfall of our historic rivals? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Feelings on the downfall of our historic rivals?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Hope Georgetown comes back bc they are in our conference. Complete apathy for any of the others - it's been so long since most of them have been good (especially Pitt and BC) that it's hard to recall. LVille was always weird and only a rival in the sense that they were a good team that was in our conference. I have never met a single LVille grad in the normal course of my life.

Syracuse, I am absolutely enjoying watching them rot, and the fact that it's happening while the coach who got them there is still the coach is even better. Couldn't think of a more deserving fanbase or guy. Will taste their tears.

mrw GIF
In the last 53 years Syracuse and the NY Jets have the same amount of titles.

Reaction Score
I think if Louisville makes the right hire they could pick up momentum fast, there is alot of space in the ACC especially with K and williams stepping down.... Pitt I think may have some trouble and Syracuse seems to be in an awful place. So I would certainly feel most comfortable dancing on Pitt and Syracuse over Louisville... BC, I havent thought about ever

Reaction Score
They aren’t welcome. This is a basketball centric conference.
yeah not sure what those willing to accept cuse and pitt back into the fold think is gonna happen to their football programs... only way it could happen is if there's a giant merger of the two conferences resulting in the "Big East Coast Conference"

26 teams for bball and 16 teams for football, including ND as a full member.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A good chunk of our historic rivals aren’t doing so hot these days..Pitt, Cuse, GTown, BC, L’Ville* all in shambles. What is your general feeling about this development? all of them except Georgetown. We regrouped and the conference is doing well with still more upside.

Do we have room to talk given our struggles towards the end of the AAC days? Absolutely. UCONN survived repeated kicks to the cajones and all they did was try to consider it some kind of victory.

Do we get to boast because they destroyed the old Big East? 100%.

Reaction Score
Based on current records, this has been a rough year but Cuse hasn't really fallen since they've actually made NCAA's over the last few years.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Georgetown is 0-17 in the league, they've lost 18 GAMES IN A ROW. Knowing DC sports fans, I'm actually shocked any showed up at all
Maybe so, but we don't hate them.

Dutch Boyd

A fine place to live
Reaction Score
Based on current records, this has been a rough year but Cuse hasn't really fallen since they've actually made NCAA's over the last few years.
Agreed! However, they just chocked against UNC and now are 15-15.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
It’s clear from the return to the big east that rivalries are the foundation of college basketball, and help the teams involved.

The best true rivalries require history & geography i.e. who gets excited (recruits or fans) about UConn cinci or UConn Houston

For UConn to take the next step we need a Duke/UNC esq rivalry. Hopefully that will be UConn Nova, but fading other big name rivals into obscurity will not be good for our program long term

Unpopular opinion - let those programs recover (slowly) behind us, and get them scheduled OOC so we (fans & recruits) can get excited about beating them down every year

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It’s clear from the return to the big east that rivalries are the foundation of college basketball, and help the teams involved.

The best true rivalries require history & geography i.e. who gets excited (recruits or fans) about UConn cinci or UConn Houston

For UConn to take the next step we need a Duke/UNC esq rivalry. Hopefully that will be UConn Nova, but fading other big name rivals into obscurity will not be good for our program long term

Unpopular opinion - let those programs recover (slowly) behind us, and get them scheduled OOC so we (fans & recruits) can get excited about beating them down every year
We should be playing Syracuse home and home in both basketball and football every year.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
We should be playing Syracuse home and home in both basketball and football every year.
Was at the game when Hurley had the Jalen chest bump into the Boeheim handshake

Met some real jerks from the Syracuse side but still had a blast and most importantly the atmosphere was electric

Reaction Score
I’m happy about every rival except those in the big east. I would love it if Georgetown was a top 25 team that consistently lost to the good guys. I hope Syracuse spends a decade or two in the basement

Reaction Score
cuse and pitt being bad does not negatively impact us in any way, shape, or form. if anything it's a positive because we have two fewer programs in our recruiting footprint to compete with

gtown and other current BE rivals being bad can hurt us in the long run, but cuse and pitt arent dead weight dragging down our conference. let them drag the acc down and make the BE look better by comparison.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I quite enjoyed watching Syracuse's OT loss this evening. Tantalizing chance at a win only to go down in flames again.

They've got Miami, 4th in the ACC, at the Dome on Saturday. A loss will give them their first losing season under JAB.

Reaction Score
Syracuse, Pitt, and BC had some success before the Big East, but no one outside of their neighborhood cared about them. The Big East made them, and survived and thrives without them.
Louisville was a major power before the Big East, but they were here for only 8 years, so it isn't the same to me. Butler, Creighton, and Xavier have been in the Big East longer than Louisville, Cincinnati, and South Florida were, and they're better fits.

Reaction Score
Don't follow those programs. Don't care about those programs.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thebug23

Top Bottom