Feel bad for St Francis & Quinnipiac.... | The Boneyard

Feel bad for St Francis & Quinnipiac....

Reaction Score
St Francis got the short straw for the third time in the 1st round; at Campel yet! Recently Mar 21 15 ended
80-33 and Mar 16 2012 ended 86-37. Qinnipiac should they face Uconn will hopefully fare better than their encounter of Dec 27 1998 which ended 117-20 which is the highest score a Uconn history and wirh a 97 margin which is the biggest in WBB D-1.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
St Francis got the short straw for the third time in the 1st round; at Campel yet! Recently Mar 21 15 ended
80-33 and Mar 16 2012 ended 86-37. Qinnipiac should they face Uconn will hopefully fare better than their encounter of Dec 27 1998 which ended 117-20 which is the highest score a Uconn history and wirh a 97 margin which is the biggest in WBB D-1.

The highest score in UConn history is 126, second highest is 124.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score

I don't know about 2012 but the St Francis that UConn played in 2015 was St. Francis College from Brooklyn. They are in the same league but different teams. Of course their fate was and will be the same.

Reaction Score
80-33 and Mar 16 2012 ended 86-37

As mentioned above, the 2015 game was with St. Francis of Brooklyn. The March 16th game with St. Francis was indeed against the one in PA, but it was played in 2002, not 2012.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
From unbridled exhilaration on seeing their name on the screen one moment, to deep despair and woe, as they realize they have the worst draw in the the tournament. A first round date on the road with the #1 seed UConn. The only good thing about that draw is they can pack lite because they know they'll be coming back home the day after the game (possibly the same day since they play an early 11 am game). Better to have gone and lost, than to not have gone at all. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don't know. Neither one is likely to get past the first weekend anyway. And especially for Quinnipiac, why not do it in CT at Gampel being close to friends & Family. (That is if QU can win the first game).

Reaction Score
If I were a 16 seed, I'd love to play UConn. Once in a lifetime experience.

Quinnipiac will have a huge crowd advantage in their 1st round game. A non power conference team winning opening round games in consecutive years would be tremendous.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Quinnipiac should play their game with 7,000 plus fans cheering them on. I suspect many UConn fans will stay around to watch and cheer for them against Miami. Don't think they can pull the upset like they did last year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree that it’ll be a great experience for both teams, neither of which are destined for deep runs in the tournament. Hopefully, St Francis booked their rooms through Monday night, so they can hang around and take it all in.

As for Quinipiac, they will play before the largest crowd they’ve ever played in front of, and while most will be Husky fans, those fans will be cheering for an upset vs Miami.

Reaction Score
Isn't this a 9 vs. 8? Qunnipiac's game is winnable, IMHO. Anyway, that colossal loss years ago -- I was there -- was bad for Q for more than one reason. One of their players blew out her knee during the game. I remember thinking about what a waste it was. I know that many coaches of struggling or lower-level teams want to play UConn for the experience and all. I get that. But you play and cannot even get into the game and lose a player, too. Not a good day.

Reaction Score
I remember the St. Francis (PA) game. I took my kid to it. Hadn't realized it was all the way back in 2002. Gettin' old.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
UConn played Q in the Q's first season in Division I. Of course UConn was going to win big. The Q is a completely different team now and good for them.

Reaction Score
I don't know about 2012 but the St Francis that UConn played in 2015 was St. Francis College from Brooklyn. They are in the same league but different teams. Of course their fate was and will be the same.

they could put both St Francis teams on the court at the same time and I think UConn would still win although it might be by only 20...............

HGN

Reaction Score
From unbridled exhilaration on seeing their name on the screen one moment, to deep despair and woe, as they realize they have the worst draw in the the tournament. A date on the road with the #1 seed UConn. The only good thing about that draw is they only have to pack for two days, because they know they'll be coming back home the day after the game (possibly the same day since they play an early 11 am game). Better to have gone and lost, than to not have gone at all. :cool:
Scoop , St. Francis may not have the best chance in the world , but they have a chance. Many teams out there just wish they could get in the door of the NCAA. So your last sentence hits the nail on the head.

GO HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
Scoop , St. Francis may not have the best chance in the world , but they have a chance. Many teams out there just wish they could get in the door of the NCAA. So your last sentence hits the nail on the head.

GO HUSKIES!!

Rutgers comes to mind. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If I were a 16 seed, I'd love to play UConn. Once in a lifetime experience.

Quinnipiac will have a huge crowd advantage in their 1st round game. A non power conference team winning opening round games in consecutive years would be tremendous.

While I appreciate your sentiments, if I was a player and had a choice, I rather play a game that I had some chance to win. They can go watch UConn play since they are close by... better way to experience the UConn machine (from the stands) rather than in the NCAA Tourney. But that is just me ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As mentioned above, the 2015 game was with St. Francis of Brooklyn. The March 16th game with St. Francis was indeed against the one in PA, but it was played in 2002, not 2012.
Dang, Francis got around.

Reaction Score
While I appreciate your sentiments, if I was a player and had a choice, I rather play a game that I had some chance to win. They can go watch UConn play since they are close by... better way to experience the UConn machine (from the stands) rather than in the NCAA Tourney. But that is just me ;)

It must be just you, :rolleyes: as a #16 seed I don't see them stand a chance against any other #1 seeds? If you pose this question to the players, which of the four #1 would you prefer to play against?...I would venture to say they would pick UConn. But that is just me. :p

Reaction Score

If they were a 13 seed I'd agree. But they're a 16 seed. They have no chance against any of the #1 seeds.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The St Francis coach knows what’s what.

Regardless of the outcome once the ball is tipped at 11 a.m. Saturday in front of a national television audience on ESPN2, the Red Flash are excited to what it will take to compete with such a legendary team. The last NEC school to face Connecticut was Robert Morris two seasons ago, which lost 101-49.

“Every year during the NCAA Tournament a lot of the media coverage goes to UConn, so we’re hoping we can get a small part of that,” Haigh said.

NCAA basketball: Red Flash selected to battle No. 1 Connecticut on Saturday

Reaction Score
If they were a 13 seed I'd agree. But they're a 16 seed. They have no chance against any of the #1 seeds.
I agree with you. When I replied I was not thinking in context of playing another #1.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

GO HUSKIES!!

The #1 overall seed gets the #64 (or lowest) seed, do they not? You are absolutely correct when you say they have a chance. Anything can happen in post season play. If I recall correctly, only once in the women's tournament has a #16 seed defeated a #1 seed. I don't see lightening striking twice, at least not this weekend, and certainly not in Storrs.

My son was 20 minutes away from getting an automatic bid to NCAA tournament his senior year, his team led at the half. He didn't make it. That's what he said. He very much wanted to enjoy the experience of playing in a tournament game, win or lose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom