Feb SI has prominent mention of UConn & Shabazzonn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Feb SI has prominent mention of UConn & Shabazzonn

Reaction Score
The issue is whether kids on scholly have enough money to function. With pell grants they do. Pell grants are not intended to be a source of money for the family. Let that sink in
No, they all don’t.

Some do.

And the idea that you’re in a position to decide how much is enough for kids who need to support their families, and aren’t allowed to earn a living is the issue.

You’re not.

The Pell Grant money is intended to be a source of money for the recipient. There are ZERO restrictions on how that money is spent. So if they need to pay mom’s rent, then that’s what it is intended for.

The fact is virtually none of them need to be on Pell grants if they are allowed to collectively bargain and earn money.

But please do continue to pretend that has nothing to do with the conversation.

Edit: and I’m not ignoring your comments on kids “wasting” the money. Here’s my response to that.

“Kids from poor families who struggled and never had cash or were taught financial literacy blows money on sneakers and tattoos. News at 11”

The fact some kids waste the money on purchases you or I may not agree with doesn’t mean their families automatically didn’t need it to keep the lights on.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, they all don’t.

Some do.

And the idea that you’re in a position to decide how much is enough for kids who need to support their families, and aren’t allowed to earn a living is the issue.

You’re not.

The Pell Grant money is intended to be a source of money for the recipient. There are ZERO restrictions on how that money is spent. So if they need to pay mom’s rent, then that’s what it is intended for.

The fact is virtually none of them need to be on Pell grants if they are allowed to collectively bargain and earn money.

But please do continue to pretend that has nothing to do with the conversation.

Edit: and I’m not ignoring your comments on kids “wasting” the money. Here’s my response to that.

“Kids from poor families who struggled and never had cash or were taught financial literacy blows money on sneakers and tattoos. News at 11”

The fact some kids waste the money on purchases you or I may not agree with doesn’t mean their families automatically didn’t need it to keep the lights on.
You are trying to use the college scholarship to solve the problem of poor families....sorry, that's not the intent...A discussion about whether kids should get paid is a separate discussion IMO. My point was simply to point out that kids on scholly have everything THEY need with the assistance of a pell grant. Their family may not have everything they need and the kid may not have everything they want, but that's not the purpose of a scholarship. You think the school should pay the parent's rent and electric bill..I don't....again, a sep discussion

Reaction Score
You are trying to use the college scholarship to solve the problem of poor families
I am not. I'm telling you a college scholarship doesn't mean a kid won't struggle financially at school while his or her family struggles financially at home.
....sorry, that's not the intent...
The intent is for the recipient to use however he or she needs to use it. That's why there are no restrictions on it.
A discussion about whether kids should get paid is a separate discussion IMO.
It is not when you consider the Pell grants, and this conversation, become virtually obsolete if the players are allowed to earn their own money.
My point was simply to point out that kids on scholly have everything THEY need with the assistance of a pell grant.
Sure, if we suspend reality and live in this fantasyland where scholarship athletes are completely removed from the struggles of the family that helped get them there, then yes, theoretically they should have everything they need.

But unfortunately for you and your simple point. Reality matters.
Their family may not have everything they need and the kid may not have everything they want, but that's not the purpose of a scholarship.
We're talking about Pell Grants, not scholarships.
You think the school should pay the parent's rent and electric bill..I don't....again, a sep discussion
No. I think your reading comprehension is trash.

I think the NCAA should allow the players to earn their own money, and they can pay their parent's rent and electric bill. That frees up more Pell grant money for kids who aren't also on a full athletic scholarship.

Reaction Score
I am not. I'm telling you a college scholarship doesn't mean a kid won't struggle financially at school while his or her family struggles financially at home.

The intent is for the recipient to use however he or she needs to use it. That's why there are no restrictions on it.

It is not when you consider the Pell grants, and this conversation, become virtually obsolete if the players are allowed to earn their own money.

Sure, if we suspend reality and live in this fantasyland where scholarship athletes are completely removed from the struggles of the family that helped get them there, then yes, theoretically they should have everything they need.

But unfortunately for you and your simple point. Reality matters.

We're talking about Pell Grants, not scholarships.

No. I think your reading comprehension is trash.

I think the NCAA should allow the players to earn their own money, and they can pay their parent's rent and electric bill. That frees up more Pell grant money for kids who aren't also on a full athletic scholarship.
no need for further comment...agree to disagree

Reaction Score
Without wading into the debate between @NJHusky and @WingU-Conn, I will say that I found it a little silly for a person with a meal plan at UConn to claim hunger. Yes, on a given night, one might feel hungry after all the dining halls and Grab & Gos close. This is not a big deal, however, because that person will quite healthily survive until breakfast the next morning, and he can avoid the situation in the future by bringing something back to the dorm/apartment.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Without wading into the debate between @NJHusky and @WingU-Conn, I will say that I found it a little silly for a person with a meal plan at UConn to claim hunger. Yes, on a given night, one might feel hungry after all the dining halls and Grab & Gos close. This is not a big deal, however, because that person will quite healthily survive until breakfast the next morning, and he can avoid the situation in the future by bringing something back to the dorm/apartment.
Not that this is the answer, but was when I was living in a dorm, we would load up backpacks with food from the cafes and fill our cabinets and fridges for late night snacks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom