Fear of Failure ???? | The Boneyard

Fear of Failure ????

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Frustration is what I hear and see from everybody. From Geno and his coaches to the players to SNY to the Boneyarders. Its hard to explain whats happening. We look great and then we dont. Call it a slump or whatever but we can all agree its tuff to explain.

We have our Core 4. Out of our core 4 we have 3 players that can score in a variety of ways. We have Liv who in a work in progress. Shes improving game by game. Her potential is huge however shes not there yet. Everybody else is not creating off the dribble and are hesitant to shoot. Now with that said Anna is shooting more and she is still hesitant at times. Missed layups have improved over the past couple of games but now we are making dumb turnovers.

Why is this happening???? We dont know, its just happening. Thats why Ive said we need to get back to the fundamentals. My guess is our minds are cluttered with garbage and second guessing. Both those reasons cause lack of confidence and lack of confidence causes doubt which causes poor play. Those of you who have played sports at a high level and your game has gone sour would agree.

The good news is we will work our way out of it. Geno and the coaching staff are making adjustments to make us better. When your making changes in your game ... your gonna get worse before you get better... because those changes need to become reflexive. So thats good news. Patience is needed when you make changes in your game because when the pressure is on people have a tendency to revert back to their old way of doing things which is moving back into your comfort zone. That is the worse thing you can do.

All this came about right after the Baylor game. Is it Fear of Failure? I think that has alot to do with it and that comes from lack of confidence. So we look to Sundays game and then Tenn. One thing is for sure. Playing in a big game under pressure will in many cases will bring back the teams focus. So we look forward to Sunday. We cannot dwell on the past thats looking into a rear view mirror. To more forward you need to look forward and Forget the Past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Frustration is what I hear and see from everybody. From Geno and his coaches to the players to SNY to the Boneyarders. Its hard to explain whats happening. We look great and then we dont. Call it a slump or whatever but we can all agree its tuff to explain. We have our Core 4. Out of our core 4 we have 3 players that can score in a variety of ways. We have Liv who in a work in progress. Shes improving game by game. Her potential is huge however shes not there yet. Everybody else is not creating off the dribble and are hesitant to shoot. Now with that said Anna is shooting more and she is still hesitant at times. Missed layups have improved over the past couple of games but now we are making dumb turnovers. Why is this happening???? We dont know, its just happening. Thats why Ive said we need to get back to the fundementals. My guess is our minds are cluttered with garbage and second guessing. Both those reasons cause lack of confidence and lack of confidence causes doubt which causes poor play. Those of you who have played sports at a high level and your game has gone sour would agree. The good news is we will work our way out of it. Geno and the coaching staff are making adjustments to make us better. When your making changes in your game ... your gonna get worse before you get better... because those changes need to become reflexive. So thats good news. Patience is needed when you make changes in your game because when the pressure is on people have a tendency to revert back to their old way of doing things which is moving back into your comfort zone. That is the worse thing you can do. All this came about right after the Baylor game. Is it Fear of Failure? I think that has alot to do with it and that comes from lack of confidence. So we look to Sundays game and then Tenn. One thing is for sure. Playing in a big game under pressure will in many cases will bring back the teams focus. So we look forward to Sunday. We cannot dwell on the past thats looking into a rear view mirror. To more forward you need to look forward and Forget the Past.
Geno has about six weeks to try and fix this. They are not playing as a cohesive unit. They look lethargic and now have played 2 offensive stinkers in a row. To many turnovers. When was the last time a UConn team had back to back shot clock violations. If these young ladies don’t get it together some mid level tourney team is going to clean their clock. Would one of the coaches please teach Anna not to shuffle her feet! I lost count of the number of turnovers she has committed.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I agree -- fear of failure = playing not to lose rather than playing to win. That's what it looks like. I wonder if some of the standing around on offense is on some level, probably unconscious, fearing to get the ball and commit a turnover? Being wide open and not shooting a fear of missing?

It does seem WAY worse since the loss, which I guess could be construed as the ultimate screwup.

Reaction Score
To quote Beth Mowins from the Syracuse - Georgia Tech game yesterday: "Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes you're the fire hydrant. You need to work really hard to be the dog."

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
To quote Beth Mowins from the Syracuse - Georgia Tech game yesterday: "Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes you're the fire hydrant. You need to work really hard to be the dog."

Print it on a bumper sticker or a tee-shirt and I'll buy it. I don't remember hearing that kind of humor from Ms. Mowins.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Quite fitting for our huskies. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom