FCS Games Added to Future Schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FCS Games Added to Future Schedule

Reaction Score
Very few people would have thought just a few years back UConn would be happy if it wound up in a mediocre mid major conference. Unless Benedict accomplishes something soon, football is under risk of either completely being killed off or played at the lowest possible level. Well, we may not go as low as the Coast Guard Academy. But I could see UConn officials pushing us in the direction of the Patriot League.

Reaction Score
Now people are just looking for reasons to be more unhappy than they were yesterday. One of these games per year is perfectly normal and indicates nothing. Alabama has UT-Martin on its schedule for next season. Does that mean the Tide have given up on playing big time football?

Reaction Score
Zoo and (dis)loyal think Benedict controls the world - see previous posts in this thread - but is completely incompetent otherwise. Pick a side men. Pick a side

Reaction Score
Zoo and (dis)loyal think Benedict controls the world - see previous posts in this thread - but is completely incompetent otherwise. Pick a side men. Pick a side

You think he is playing chess. He very well may suck at chess. And that’s what it seems like now.

Like I said, when you go full Nostical you better be prepared for a letdown.

I wish they would just be honest and say that they have no plan, and that they are sacrificing the football program to save the rest of the department.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Very few people would have thought just a few years back UConn would be happy if it wound up in a mediocre mid major conference. Unless Benedict accomplishes something soon, football is under risk of either completely being killed off or played at the lowest possible level. Well, we may not go as low as the Coast Guard Academy. But I could see UConn officials pushing us in the direction of the Patriot League.

we need to find you a new hobby. fishing isnt for you

Reaction Score
Now people are just looking for reasons to be more unhappy than they were yesterday. One of these games per year is perfectly normal and indicates nothing. Alabama has UT-Martin on its schedule for next season. Does that mean the Tide have given up on playing big time football?

Lol.. some of these fans are hilarious.

Reaction Score
The issue with this is that wins against FCS teams don't count for bowl eligibility. Yes, I get that the idea of a bowl game is a far cry from the current state of the program. However, playing 2 FCS teams means UConn must go 6-4 in the other 10 games, just to technically be bowl eligible. And 6-4 as an independent only gets to a bowl if there aren't enough other teams above 0.500. So, more likely UConn needs to go be 8-2 in the remaining 10 games. The bar just got higher to get to a bowl.

Edited to add: I am assuming there is another FCS game coming, as there is no need to schedule FCS this far out.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely zero indication any of this is happening based on the news that we scheduled our first FCS game for these four seasons. Virtually every other FBS team does this. You are literally making things up.

Reaction Score
FWIW, from 2018 the number of FCS games played by conference:

Reaction Score
Benedict was just on Sirius XM Full Ride Channel 84. Admitted that Indy is the initial course and "will see from there". Talked about all the school that have texted him about a game. As previously stated, we will not have issues with September games. It's the October/November schedule that will be the challenge. Today's news would have been released at a much later date because its just a bad look.
I have zero confidence that DB is the guy to steer this ship. He hasn't made one solid football mark in 3 years. He clowned the coaching contracts, let the HC put up his own cash for his coordinator and lacks the pedigree for this type of heavy lifting. He said the BE talks went full swing right after the NCAA hoops title game. Taken at his word, this shows a lack of foresight for a genuine plan for football. "maybe the AAC will keep football" HA!
With DB as AD it's just a slow decent into FCS.

Reaction Score
You think he is playing chess. He very well may suck at chess. And that’s what it seems like now.

Like I said, when you go full Nostical you better be prepared for a letdown.

I wish they would just be honest and say that they have no plan, and that they are sacrificing the football program to save the rest of the department.
Let's see where the chips fall before we declare the program dead. I like the fact for the first time since realignment started that the school has decided to take control of its future rather than being kicked in the testiculos repeatedly by others based on fluid and ill-defined criteria. Always better to be playing offense..always.

Reaction Score
Benedict was just on Sirius XM Full Ride Channel 84. Admitted that Indy is the initial course and "will see from there". Talked about all the school that have texted him about a game. As previously stated, we will not have issues with September games. It's the October/November schedule that will be the challenge. Today's news would have been released at a much later date because its just a bad look.
I have zero confidence that DB is the guy to steer this ship. He hasn't made one solid football mark in 3 years. He clowned the coaching contracts, let the HC put up his own cash for his coordinator and lacks the pedigree for this type of heavy lifting. He said the BE talks went full swing right after the NCAA hoops title game. Taken at his word, this shows a lack of foresight for a genuine plan for football. "maybe the AAC will keep football" HA!

On this, everyone will agree.

Reaction Score
I'm OK with Lafayette and CCSU over the next few years.. We need a cupcake on our schedule, IMO, just to get ourselves mentally motivated to play higher level FBS opponents... It's all a part of the conditioning (mental and physical). I truly believe by the time we play these games we'll be a much much much improved football team, and I don't expect those games to be too close. But, at the same time, Edsall's not gonna let us go too nuts on them. That' not his style... unless he's changed a bit.. If he has, then all the frustrations of the last 8 to 9 years get taken out on any and all future opponents.. No mercy til the game is more than well in hand LATE in the 4th quarter...

Reaction Score
Let's see where the chips fall before we declare the program dead. I like the fact for the first time since realignment started that the school has decided to take control of its future rather than being kicked in the testiculos repeatedly by others based on fluid and ill-defined criteria. Always better to be playing offense..always.

This is true, but almost anyone can move from one bad neighborhood that doesn’t meet your needs to another.

This move would look a whole lot cleaner if there was some actual meat on the plan for football.

Reaction Score

Up..... without a paddle.

Reaction Score
Exactly, every team in the NCAA has at least one or two cupcakes. I would prefer to play CCSU than Wagner anyway.

Exactly - this is not a change in scheduling direction. UConn has played an annual FCS opponent since moving to the level (as does 95% of all FBS schools). What should be applauded is that UConn is keeping the $$$ in Connecticut. You want taxpayers to help UConn athletics, then you better start by earning some goodwill with another public Division I university in the state!

CCSU should be a regularly occurring opponent because UConn should work to support a public FCS program in its backyard - that's what real FBS programs do. Go ahead take a look at the ACC schools and they make it a point to schedule one FCS team from their state annually. For example, Virginia has William & Mary, VMI, and Richmond on future schedules. It has taken UConn far too long to do anything to give back to the other State universities.

UConn vs. FCS
2008 – Hofstra (CAA)
2009 – Rhode Island (CAA)
2010 – Texas Southern (SWAC)
2011 – Fordham (Patriot)
2012 – UMass (CAA)
2013 – Towson (CAA)
2014 – Stony Brook (CAA)
2015 – Villanova (CAA)
2016 - Maine (CAA)
2017 - Holy Cross (Patriot)
2018 - Rhode Island (CAA)
2019 - Wagner (NEC)
---
2020 – Maine (CAA)
2021 – Holy Cross (Patriot)
2022 – Central Connecticut (NEC)
2023 – Lafayette (Patriot)
2024 – TBD
2025 – Central Connecticut (NEC)
2026 – Lafayette (Patriot)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's kind of ironic that the same people complaining that the Indy move is killing the football program are also complaining about games being scheduled in 2025.

My concern is that Indy move is a precursor to eventually moving to FCS.....scheduling FCS games out to 2025 is either neutral or supportive of the concern.

Reaction Score
This is true, but almost anyone can move from one bad neighborhood that doesn’t meet your needs to another.

This move would look a whole lot cleaner if there was some actual meat on the plan for football.

Seems like a good start:

Reaction Score
Exactly - this is not a change in scheduling direction. UConn has played an annual FCS opponent since moving to the level (as does 95% of all FBS schools). What should be applauded is that UConn is keeping the $$$ in Connecticut. You want taxpayers to help UConn athletics, then you better start by earning some goodwill with another public Division I university in the state!

CCSU should be a regularly occurring opponent because UConn should work to support a public FCS program in its backyard - that's what real FBS programs do. Go ahead take a look at the ACC schools and they make it a point to schedule one FCS team from their state annually. For example, Virginia has William & Mary, VMI, and Richmond on future schedules. It has taken UConn far too long to do anything to give back to the other State universities.

UConn vs. FCS
2008 – Hofstra (CAA)
2009 – Rhode Island (CAA)
2010 – Texas Southern (SWAC)
2011 – Fordham (Patriot)
2012 – UMass (CAA)
2013 – Towson (CAA)
2014 – Stony Brook (CAA)
2015 – Villanova (CAA)
2016 - Maine (CAA)
2017 - Holy Cross (Patriot)
2018 - Rhode Island (CAA)
2019 - Wagner (NEC)
---
2020 – Maine (CAA)
2021 – Holy Cross (Patriot)
2022 – Central Connecticut (NEC)
2023 – Lafayette (Patriot)
2024 – TBD
2025 – Central Connecticut (NEC)
2026 – Lafayette (Patriot)
I agree 10000000000%.. We should play CCSU all the time.. Get CT involved/engaged.. or even sprinkle in Sacred Heart Univ(for 2024???)... They're squad has raised it's game quite a bit too...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom