FCIAC dominance continues | Page 2 | The Boneyard

FCIAC dominance continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LOL!!! Greatly improved over the years??? I think we've been down this road before and the FCIAC has more state championships than the SCC. SCC is a very good conference...the 2nd best in the state...now that they are playing one another OOC the FCIAC is showing that it's the better conference.

FWIW I don't follow HS football, I don't even live in CT anymore and I graduated in 1995. What I know is that I won a title and every year that I was in HS multiple FCIAC teams won titles. Pretty sure it's been that way ever since...and prior to.

Not sure what road you've been down but you're lost. Since the SCC started in 1994 it's football teams have won 26 state titles the FCIAC 17

Reaction Score
As I recall, the SCC more than held their own vs the FCIAC. It was certainly not 9-1 for the FCIAC. It was closer to 50-50

It was 9-1 for the power teams in both conferences.

Hand lost to Darien and was blown out by New Canaan earlier in the season. Notre Dame of West Haven was blown out by St Joes and also lost to Ridgefield. Xavier, barely pulled out a win over Staples, the FCIAC's 6th best team. Brian McMahon of Norwalk beat Wilbur Cross, St Joe's also beat Fairfield Prep, and West Haven lost to Greenwich. Wilton also beat Branford 35-0.

Reaction Score
Not sure what road you've been down but you're lost. Since the SCC started in 1994 it's football teams have won 26 state titles the FCIAC 17
Nice try. If you go back to the 1970's when the CIAC playoffs began, the FCIAC has more CIAC playoff wins, and that's including all the teams who are in the SCC now. And in head to head matchups in the CIAC playoffs, the FCIAC is far ahead since the CIAC playoffs began in the late 70's..

Reaction Score
Nice try. If you go back to the 1970's when the CIAC playoffs began, the FCIAC has more CIAC playoff wins, and that's including all the teams who are in the SCC now. And in head to head matchups in the CIAC playoffs, the FCIAC is far ahead since the CIAC playoffs began in the late 70's..

Really. Apparently comprehension isn't your strong suit. In the post you referenced I only mentioned titles and according to the CIAC site (link provided below) it's 49-43 titles in favor of the SCC counting all teams currently in both conferences plus Rippowam's title in 1980. Also head to head is 14-6 in favor of the SCC in championship games.

http://ciacsports.com/site/?page_id=952

Last edited:
Reaction Score

OK, the CIAC website lists Football championships back to 1976; but, it does not provide the full playoff brackets in each year. I also included schools that were consolidated into a single conference, such as the SCC and CCC, and those that no longer play football, such as Stamford Catholic. Since 1976, there have been 192 CT HS state football champions, not including 2013. Their rank by number of titles is:
1) SCC – 49
2) FCIAC – 43
3) CCC – 32
4) NVL – 30
5) Eastern – 17
6) SWC – 13
7) Other – 8
The facts speak for themselves. The SCC historically is the better conference than the FCIAC by a small margin. Of course, this varies from year to year.
As for head-to-head between the FCIAC and the SCC, surprisingly there has only been 20 games from what I can tell with the SCC winning 14 and the FCIAC winning 6. That’s not even close.

Reaction Score
OK, could not help it; but, I took a look. According to the CIAC website, the FCIAC has 19 schools. 17 played at least 1 game against the SCC, which I think is a good thing. Overall record, FCIAC won 13, SCC won 10. Again, good; but, not dominant.
13-10 is for inter league play for all teams in both conferences. If you look at the record of inter league play of the perennial powers (Xavier, New Canaan, Darien, Greenwich, Hand, West Haven, ND of WH, St Joes, etc) between the conferences, then the record is 9 or 10 to 1. What this shows is how the FCIAC this season dominated the top half of the SCC, and regular season games do matter.

Reaction Score
Taking any 1 year and declaring that either the FCIAC or the SCC is dominating the other over time is foolish. HS sports are very cyclical. Stamford Catholic played in several championship games in the 1970’s and no longer exists. Cheshire won multiple titles in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s and now is a .500% team basically replaced by Xavier in the SCC. Even St. Joe’s which has been a consistently good team, almost to the extent that Ansonia has been, had a down period of time with no titles between 1990 and 2009. I forgot the year; but there was one year that the SCC won 4 of the 6 state titles and another than the FCIAC won 3 of the 4.
So, this year, the FCIAC’s best teams appear to be better that the SCC’s. So what? Next year, who knows? The only true fact is that historically, the SCC has a slight advantage in the number of titles on, 49 to 43 as of 2012.
And by the way, why so touchy about the FCIAC? A majority of us outside of the Catholics, Charters, and a few schools that allow for out-of-town tuition students, such as Greenwich, had no choice as to what school we went to. My town has a good sports program across the board; but, the cliques and town politics were a joke and I was happy to leave.

Reaction Score
It seems like some are trying to twist info to favor their favorite conferences. I look at it as if one team has a player who can help UConn. I could care what conference the kid plays in. Only care if he comes to UConn and helps us.

Reaction Score
Taking any 1 year and declaring that either the FCIAC or the SCC is dominating the other over time is foolish. HS sports are very cyclical. Stamford Catholic played in several championship games in the 1970’s and no longer exists. Cheshire won multiple titles in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s and now is a .500% team basically replaced by Xavier in the SCC. Even St. Joe’s which has been a consistently good team, almost to the extent that Ansonia has been, had a down period of time with no titles between 1990 and 2009. I forgot the year; but there was one year that the SCC won 4 of the 6 state titles and another than the FCIAC won 3 of the 4.
So, this year, the FCIAC’s best teams appear to be better that the SCC’s. So what? Next year, who knows? The only true fact is that historically, the SCC has a slight advantage in the number of titles on, 49 to 43 as of 2012.
And by the way, why so touchy about the FCIAC? A majority of us outside of the Catholics, Charters, and a few schools that allow for out-of-town tuition students, such as Greenwich, had no choice as to what school we went to. My town has a good sports program across the board; but, the cliques and town politics were a joke and I was happy to leave.
You don't know as much as you claim to, so anything you say I'll take with a grain of salt. Stamford Catholic still exists and plays football in the FCIAC and not only played in several championship games but won a few IIRC, and was named the top team in the state by both sports writer polls before 1976. I think IIRC they were crowned state champion 3 or 4 times during the 60's and early 70's.

Reaction Score
I only know the facts listed on the CIAC scoreboard.
First, you said that the FCIAC has been dominant this year where in reality FCIAC won 13 and the SCC won 10. Nevertheless, I agree that FCIAC’s teams, especially St. Joe’s, Darien, and New Canaan are very good and they are better than the SCC’s best teams THIS year. Next, you said that the FCIAC has dominated football since the CIAC playoffs began. That, too, has been debunked as the SCC has 49 tiles, the FCIAC has 43 and the SCC leads head-to-head championship games 14 to 6. Now, you are saying that the FCIAC won more titles than the SCC did before the CIAC was even around? I admit I have no clue; but, anyone can pull statistics that favor their point of view, so maybe you are right.
I respect the FCIAC and they have some good teams, even when the folks from Greenwich High came to play at my high school with their parents driving Mercedes with NY state plates on looking down at the ‘uncultured’ folks from New Haven County. My school won some of those games and lost some of those games. If you really want to see FCIAC dominance, check out lacrosse. Since boy’s lacrosse became a CIAC sponsored sport in 1995, the FCIAC has won 28 of the 47 state titles. Damn.
And, by the way, Stamford Catholic no longer exists as the school it was in the 1970’s, from a certain point of view (credit to Obi Won Kenobi). Trinity Catholic (Stamford) = Stamford Catholic + Central Catholic (Norwalk) + St. Mary’s (Greenwich).

Reaction Score
I only know the facts listed on the CIAC scoreboard.
First, you said that the FCIAC has been dominant this year where in reality FCIAC won 13 and the SCC won 10. Nevertheless, I agree that FCIAC’s teams, especially St. Joe’s, Darien, and New Canaan are very good and they are better than the SCC’s best teams THIS year.

Not just better than the SCC, they have been dominant this year, but it kills you to admit that. BTW you forgot to mention Ridgefield and Greenwich, Greenwich beat West Haven, and Ridgefield beat both Cheshire and Notre Dame of West Haven this season. As good as St Joes is this year, they lost during the season to New Canaan 62-21, and that was just a few weeks after St Joes beat ND of West Haven 47-28.

Reaction Score
I have said straight-up that the FCIAC’s best teams are better than the SCC’s best teams THIS year and the facts clearly show such. Throwing out FCIAC wins over Cheshire, ND WH, and otehr sub .500 teams and vice versa, the SCC had 8 teams that were above .500, 4 of which made the playoffs. Including the playoffs, those SCC teams won 2 games over the FCIAC while losing 6, 2 of which were playoff games. By the way, Darien, the #1 seed in L with a record of 8-1 beat Hand, the #8 seed with a record of 8-3, by a score of 31-29. That is not dominance. That is a good football game.
I would love to see a playoff game between Ansonia and St. Joe’s as that would be a great game, contrast in styles, and there are quite a few Valley kids that play for St. Joe’s.
The problem, I have is that you have stated that the FCICA is historically better than the SCC, which is not supported by the facts. That is all.

Reaction Score
I have said straight-up that the FCIAC’s best teams are better than the SCC’s best teams THIS year and the facts clearly show such. Throwing out FCIAC wins over Cheshire, ND WH, and otehr sub .500 teams and vice versa, the SCC had 8 teams that were above .500, 4 of which made the playoffs. Including the playoffs, those SCC teams won 2 games over the FCIAC while losing 6, 2 of which were playoff games. By the way, Darien, the #1 seed in L with a record of 8-1 beat Hand, the #8 seed with a record of 8-3, by a score of 31-29. That is not dominance. That is a good football game.
I would love to see a playoff game between Ansonia and St. Joe’s as that would be a great game, contrast in styles, and there are quite a few Valley kids that play for St. Joe’s.
The problem, I have is that you have stated that the FCICA is historically better than the SCC, which is not supported by the facts. That is all.

I watched the game. Darien controlled things most of the game, but I do give Hand a lot of credit coming back in the 2nd half. I think Darien just had an off day, New Canaan played Hand earlier in the season and blew them out 50-21, but that was before Cascione got hurt. The score was 36-0 at the half, 2nd stringers let Hand score some points in the 2nd half.

Ansonia/St Joes would be a good game. I'd give St Joes the edge though, more balanced offensive attack and not all their players play both sides of the ball like the Ansonia kids do. If Ansonia didn't score on their first series, St Joes would definitely win the game. That being said, if Newsome has a great day, then all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom