FCIAC dominance continues | The Boneyard

FCIAC dominance continues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
FCIAC has greatly improved over the years. Not as good as the SCC, but has a solid grip on second best league from top to bottom.

Reaction Score
4-0 in the first round. Just saying....
Several more games to go, but it's very possible that the LL champ, L champ, and M champ, could be FCIAC teams. What's very telling so far was the FCIAC's 4th best team beating undefeated and #2 ranked (state poll) Newtown in LL, on Newtown's home field. Newtown, all year had been rolling up points and had been winning by an average of 40 points until they met Ridgefield. Ridgefield is arguably the FCIAC's 4th best team, after New Canaan, Darien, and St Joes. All the credit in the world to Newtown though, coming back late in the 2nd half, after Ridgefield led 35-13 at the half. What's also scary is that as good as Ridgefield is, they are not near as good as New Canaan is, especially when NC's QB Cascione, is healthy. He suffered a concussion toward the end of the regular season, we'll see how they do going forward, though they did win their 1st round game 46-0. With him healthy, they are IMO, easily the states best team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FCIAC has greatly improved over the years. Not as good as the SCC, but has a solid grip on second best league from top to bottom.
Not sure about prior years, but this year the FCIAC is much better than the SCC, top to bottom. I mean, this season so far, Hand lost to Darien and was blown out by New Canaan earlier in the season. Notre Dame of West Haven was blown out by St Joes and also lost to Ridgefield. Xavier, barely pulled out a win over Staples, the FCIAC's 6th best team. Brian McMahon of Norwalk beat Wilbur Cross, St Joe's also beat Fairfield Prep, and maybe the best team the SCC has this year, West Haven, lost to Greenwich. All that being said, I think it's great that both leagues recognize each other now as powerful next door neighbors and have begun scheduling more and more OOC games between each other.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm so out of touch with the HS conferences. I'm an old District League guy. Man I feel old.

Reaction Score
Different sports and my memory maybe hazy on this; but I believe my Senior year in high school, the old Housatonic won the Class LL (Cheshire), M (Sheehan), and S (Seymour) titles in baseball in the same year.

Reaction Score
4-0 in the first round. Just saying....

Everything is cyclical though. I remember years where the CCC was dominate in football (New Britain, Glastonbury, Simsbury, Bloomfield, Southington, etc.) and years the SCC was on top (Xavier, ND, Cheshire, Hand, etc.). The only consistent power team as has been Ansonia as far as I remember and that has been going on for decades. This year, I think Newtown’s record was inflated as neither of the traditionally strong LL/L teams in the SWC were good (Masuk L 7-4, Pomperaug LL 4-7).
If I had to make predictions…
· LL: Southington over Ridgefield, Prep over West Haven, Prep (SCC) over Southington (CCC)
· L: NC over NH, Darien over Middletown, NC (FCIAC) over Middletown (CCC)
· M: Brookfield over Valley, St. Joe’s over Barlow, St. Joe’s (FCIAC) over Brookfield (SWC)
· S: Bloomfield over Woodland, Ansonia over RH, Ansonia (NV) over Bloomfield (CCC)
No disrespect to CT; but, I doubt that any of these teams could play with the big Catholics here in Jersey though.

Reaction Score
Everything is cyclical though. I remember years where the CCC was dominate in football (New Britain, Glastonbury, Simsbury, Bloomfield, Southington, etc.) and years the SCC was on top (Xavier, ND, Cheshire, Hand, etc.). The only consistent power team as has been Ansonia as far as I remember and that has been going on for decades. This year, I think Newtown’s record was inflated as neither of the traditionally strong LL/L teams in the SWC were good (Masuk L 7-4, Pomperaug LL 4-7).
If I had to make predictions…
· LL: Southington over Ridgefield, Prep over West Haven, Prep (SCC) over Southington (CCC)
· L: NC over NH, Darien over Middletown, NC (FCIAC) over Middletown (CCC)
· M: Brookfield over Valley, St. Joe’s over Barlow, St. Joe’s (FCIAC) over Brookfield (SWC)
· S: Bloomfield over Woodland, Ansonia over RH, Ansonia (NV) over Bloomfield (CCC)
No disrespect to CT; but, I doubt that any of these teams could play with the big Catholics here in Jersey though.
MSG disagreed with you earlier in the season. Before the injury to New Canaan's QB 3 weeks ago, MSG had ranked them #2 in the top 25 Tristate Poll, they've got 5 kids on that team that are D1 prospects. The Westhill High (Stamford) coach stated to the press after playing them that he thought they could probably beat WestConn. I'll also say that IMO the Xavier team of couple years ago could have played with the best NJ teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
MSG disagreed with you earlier in the season. Before the injury to New Canaan's QB 3 weeks ago, MSG had ranked them #2 in the top 25 Tristate Poll, they've got 5 kids on that team that are D1 prospects. The Westhill High (Stamford) coach stated to the press after playing them that he thought they could probably beat WestConn. I'll also say that IMO the Xavier team of couple years ago could have played with the best NJ teams.

The Westhill coach is a fool if he said something like that about New Canaan beating WestConn.

Reaction Score
What the heck happened at Housy? They used to have a pretty big roster and now they are forfeiting games because they only have less than 20 or so on the varsity roster?

Reaction Score

All I have is my opinion and some indirect observations. One key advantage the NJ catholic powers have is that they recruit from NJ, NY, and PA. In addition, as they move towards a ‘national’ schedule, they will pull even more top players from a wider area and only increase their advantage. It’s why the publics in NJ let the Catholic have their own schedule and playoffs because they can’t compete.
I do not recall a specific game; but, I do remember some CT schools playing Mass schools and those games were fairly competitive. In 2011, the year that Boston College High won the MA state championship I did see them play at DePaul Catholic in NJ, which was maybe the 5th of 6th best Catholic school in NJ that year, and BC lost 49 to 35 (14 of BC’s points were in the 4th when DePaul put in the JV team). In 2012, Xavier from MA, another histrocially strong team from Boston metro, played St. Joe’s NJ and lost 62 to 0.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
MBIAC
Yeah, the old MBIAC. Once was a very powerful conference back in the day. Harding and Notre Dame of Fairfield were state powers in football, as well as Stratford had a couple of memorable state championship teams. The city schools have really hit hard times, and not just Bridgeport. Stamford High and Stamford Catholic were once state powers, every year back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's .

Reaction Score
wish my alma mater ( Brien McMahon ) made the cut.. they only had 2 losses this year

Reaction Score
Stamford was awesome in the late 50's and 60's as they only had one high school

Reaction Score
Stamford was awesome in the late 50's and 60's as they only had one high school
Actually Stamford had three, and they all were very, very, good in football. Stamford Catholic was awesome, as was Rippowam High. Rippowam was great during the Bobby Valentine years.

Reaction Score

LOL!!! Greatly improved over the years??? I think we've been down this road before and the FCIAC has more state championships than the SCC. SCC is a very good conference...the 2nd best in the state...now that they are playing one another OOC the FCIAC is showing that it's the better conference.

FWIW I don't follow HS football, I don't even live in CT anymore and I graduated in 1995. What I know is that I won a title and every year that I was in HS multiple FCIAC teams won titles. Pretty sure it's been that way ever since...and prior to.

Reaction Score
LOL!!! Greatly improved over the years??? I think we've been down this road before and the FCIAC has more state championships than the SCC. SCC is a very good conference...the 2nd best in the state...now that they are playing one another OOC the FCIAC is showing that it's the better conference.

FWIW I don't follow HS football, I don't even live in CT anymore and I graduated in 1995. What I know is that I won a title and every year that I was in HS multiple FCIAC teams won titles. Pretty sure it's been that way ever since...and prior to.

The SCC has only been around since 1995.

FCIAC is consistently overrated. Some good teams, this year, though.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
What the heck happened at Housy? They used to have a pretty big roster and now they are forfeiting games because they only have less than 20 or so on the varsity roster?
No idea but they're even coop'd with wamogo. Housy beat us my soph year to get a birth in the S championship. That was back when there was just the division championship games, so we missed the playoffs.

Reaction Score

Although I agree with you to a point about the FCIAC, I gotta say that the SCC and the NVL has had some great teams over the years. Your post got me thinking about the greatest HS teams in state history. I've been around a long time and IMUO the greatest state teams I can remember are as follows…..

Derby 1972 and 1973 (John Pagliaro) went undefeated for 2 seasons, Fitch of Groton-1976 (Joe Addison), Trumbull-1986, Roger Ludlowe-1961 (Cliff Tallman, Gary Klahr drafted by the Saints, Fran Lynch who played for the Giants), Bloomfield (Andrew Pinnock), several Cheshire teams in the 1990's, Rippowam in the mid 1960's(Bobby Valentine), New Canaan-1968 thru 1970 (Peter Demmerlee, Kurt Horton,Len Paglialunga), Fairfield Prep-1960, West Haven also had a great team in 1968, Stamford High had some great teams in the 1950's and 1960's as did Stamford Catholic.

links ……

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...SEiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=vHMFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1337,2424220

http://www.gametimect.com/all-time-new-haven-register-all-state-football-teams/

http://fairfield.patch.com/groups/opinion/p/50-years-ago-the-tigers-reigned-supreme

http://newcanaan.patch.com/groups/sports/p/farewell-coach-lynch

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...AUhAAAAIBAJ&sjid=XXYFAAAAIBAJ&pg=1065,1700860

http://www.nhregister.com/general-n...n-football-team-puts-together-historic-season

http://www.scribd.com/doc/164077729/13-CT-Football-Rec-BK

I must say that when considering the greatest individual CT football player I personally ever saw play, it comes down to a tie between Bobby Valentine of Rippowam and Peter Demmerlee of New Canaan, both went on to greater glory after HS. As to the greatest team in State history, that's a tough call as there have been so many great ones, but I'd pick new Canaan from 68 to 70, went 34-0 in the FCIAC and for a team to do that in the FCIAC is amazing. Many of their players had stellar careers in college, some in D1, and one won a National Championship at Notre Dame and made 1st team All-American.

I know I forgot some great teams of the past so please chime in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Final for 2013, 8 total teams in the finals (4 divisions) and the FCIAC has 3 teams and is guaranteed to win 1 title (L, Darien v. New Canaan) and may win a second (M, St. Joe’s v. Brookfield [SWC]). NVL is also guaranteed a title with 2 teams in (S, Ansonia v. Woodland). The SCC or the CCC will get the other title (LL, Southington [CCC] v. Fairfield Prep [SCC]). A good year by the FCIAC; but, not dominant.

Reaction Score
Final for 2013, 8 total teams in the finals (4 divisions) and the FCIAC has 3 teams and is guaranteed to win 1 title (L, Darien v. New Canaan) and may win a second (M, St. Joe’s v. Brookfield [SWC]). NVL is also guaranteed a title with 2 teams in (S, Ansonia v. Woodland). The SCC or the CCC will get the other title (LL, Southington [CCC] v. Fairfield Prep [SCC]). A good year by the FCIAC; but, not dominant.
You are so full of it. There were 10 inter-league games this year between the FCIAC and the SCC, and the FCIAC won 9 of them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are so full of it. There were 10 inter-league games this year between the FCIAC and the SCC, and the FCIAC won 9 of them.
As I recall, the SCC more than held their own vs the FCIAC. It was certainly not 9-1 for the FCIAC. It was closer to 50-50

Reaction Score

First, I don’t live in CT anymore and I don’t have the time to follow CT high school sports in enough detail to track every game. Second, regular season games do not matter, championships do. Third, including the entire CT 2013 football playoff bracket of 32 teams (4 divisions, 8 teams each); FCIAC had 5 teams (16%) in it. That was second best after the CCC with 8 teams (25%), and better than the SWC and SCC with 4 teams each. Again, good; but, not dominant.

Reaction Score
OK, could not help it; but, I took a look. According to the CIAC website, the FCIAC has 19 schools. 17 played at least 1 game against the SCC, which I think is a good thing. Overall record, FCIAC won 13, SCC won 10. Again, good; but, not dominant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom