Favorites for 2024 women’s championship | The Boneyard

Favorites for 2024 women’s championship

Reaction Score
I love it! I mean it’s just based on fan interest. But I think Indiana has a pretty good shot.

Reaction Score
The Terps don't have it this year. Maybe next.
Sorry to hear it.

I also like UCONN's chances with the sports books having them in second place - the ultimate passing position & "chip on the shoulder" outlook. With the SIX women joining the mix, and when they are BLESSED all season with outstanding health and strength, I don't see LSU hanging with the Huskies

#12 is within reach...

GO HUSKIES!!!!!

Reaction Score
Iowa a tad high and Notre Dame too low in my opinion. And...I probably would squeeze TN either where the list ends or somewhere near the bottom of the list. Just because I don't cheer for them I can't lie on them. Well, I could, but I'm not there yet. lol

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
This to me is just silly to think that anybody could even think to rank a team over UConn when you look at UConns roster. UConn has Paige and Azzi and there arent two players on the same team that are better. Both Paige and Azzi could me NPOY. Then look at UConns roster with a couple of players 6'4 and over and 6'3 and over. Come on youve got to be kidding me.

Reaction Score
This to me is just silly to think that anybody could even think to rank a team over UConn when you look at UConns roster. UConn has Paige and Azzi and there arent two players on the same team that are better. Both Paige and Azzi could me NPOY. Then look at UConns roster with a couple of players 6'4 and over and 6'3 and over. Come on youve got to be kidding me.
I agree with your Paige assessment but to me the jury is still out on how good Azzi can be as the second option. LSU has their best player back from last year and picked up two proven players to go with her. They are the favorite and they deserve that ranking at this point. For me though if I was betting $1000 on a team it would be the 5 to 1 UCONN Huskies. They have Edwards and nobody else does.

Reaction Score
LSU is stacked with proven skilled players and deserves the top preseason spot but if UConn can stay injury free, I sure wouldn't bet against them to win it all........

Reaction Score
With Paige on the team there is very little chance that Azzi could possibly be NPOY because Paige is an alpha dog and a far better all around player than Azzi. The exception could be if Paige is hurt and no one wants that scenario! Even in that scenario a healthy Caroline may emerge as a better all around player than Azzi! In addition, if both Paige and Azzi had awesome seasons they would likely split votes and neither is likely to win. BTW, I am not disparaging Azzi, she is a very good player who has played some stretches of excellent bball, but to think that she could beat out a healthy Paige (or Caitlin) for NPOY is not realistic in my mind. I am not yet convinced that Azzi is even the second best player on our team given that Aliyah is an all-American and my previous comments on Caroline having a better all around game. I would love for Azzi to prove me wrong

Reaction Score
Not silly, just from Missouri.
Show me a healthy Paige, Azzi, Caroline & Ice & THEN I’ll be tickled pink to do the “Number 12 Strut”.
I hope that by the middle of December people all over the country will be cringing because The Beast of the East has returned with a vengeance.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
LSU is stacked with proven skilled players and deserves the top preseason spot but if UConn can stay injury free, I sure wouldn't bet against them to win it all........
Under current rules, every game only one ball, hard to believe LSU players will know what to do. At least 3 players who need the ball in their own hands to Excell. Will they, can they, become complimentary players? I don't think so, however I've been wrong before and will give Kim all the credit if she can pull her group into an unselfish team.

Reaction Score
With Paige on the team there is very little chance that Azzi could possibly be NPOY because Paige is an alpha dog and a far better all around player than Azzi. The exception could be if Paige is hurt and no one wants that scenario! Even in that scenario a healthy Caroline may emerge as a better all around player than Azzi! In addition, if both Paige and Azzi had awesome seasons they would likely split votes and neither is likely to win. BTW, I am not disparaging Azzi, she is a very good player who has played some stretches of excellent bball, but to think that she could beat out a healthy Paige (or Caitlin) for NPOY is not realistic in my mind. I am not yet convinced that Azzi is even the second best player on our team given that Aliyah is an all-American and my previous comments on Caroline having a better all around game. I would love for Azzi to prove me wrong
I believe you undervalue Azzi a ton. IMO ofc she can be POY. Paige loves to pass. even if not a direct assist. And Azzi, if healthy, is much better than Caroline or Edwards, so scoring will show more for voters. And there was a reason why UCONN was more focused early last seaosn getting the ball to Azzi as the top priority vs Edwards early. Secondly, Azzis presence opens a lot for Edwards. While true a bit the other way but not as much as Azzi does for Edwards.

As for Caroline, her effcienciy would have to increase significantly to surpass a healthy Azzi.

Reaction Score
I believe you undervalue Azzi a ton. IMO ofc she can be POY. Paige loves to pass. even if not a direct assist. And Azzi, if healthy, is much better than Caroline or Edwards, so scoring will show more for voters. And there was a reason why UCONN was more focused early last seaosn getting the ball to Azzi as the top priority vs Edwards early. Secondly, Azzis presence opens a lot for Edwards. While true a bit the other way but not as much as Azzi does for Edwards.

As for Caroline, her effcienciy would have to increase significantly to surpass a healthy Azzi.
You could be right, I may undervalue her. At the same time I think others overvalue her based on potential as opposed to sustained actual performance. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If she becomes a better player than Edwards, an all-American, that means she should be an AA. That would be great. Right now there is no factual case to call her a proven better player than Edwards IMO. Plus, Edwards was a AA without Paige or Azzi(for much of the season). She has proven that she doesn’t need either to be an AA. Anyways, it’s always fun to have these debates, especially in the dog days of summer! I am just waiting for the next BY post claiming the Huskies will be untouchable, unbeaten, and have three or more AAs and the POY next season and then a bucket load of consecutive NCs. We’ve already proclaimed that Geno will turn our latest highly inexperienced, raw recruit into an AA. There is nothing like BY optimism which everyone is entitled to. While I am from CT, I am more akin to Missouri which is the “show me “ state. Regardless, like everyone here, I am looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

Reaction Score
You could be right, I may undervalue her. At the same time I think others overvalue her based on potential as opposed to sustained actual performance. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If she becomes a better player than Edwards, an all-American, that means she should be an AA. That would be great. Right now there is no factual case to call her a proven better player than Edwards IMO. Plus, Edwards was a AA without Paige or Azzi(for much of the season). She has proven that she doesn’t need either to be an AA. Anyways, it’s always fun to have these debates, especially in the dog days of summer! I am just waiting for the next BY post claiming the Huskies will be untouchable, unbeaten, and have three or more AAs and the POY next season and then a bucket load of consecutive NCs. We’ve already proclaimed that Geno will turn our latest highly inexperienced, raw recruit into an AA. There is nothing like BY optimism which everyone is entitled to. While I am from CT, I am more akin to Missouri which is the “show me “ state. Regardless, like everyone here, I am looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.
I understand your lack of belief in Fudd but if she's healthy and with the team not relying only on her to hit outside shots, I think you will see just how devastating a weapon she can be.......

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Welp....................if we're going to talk about the favorites to win this year's championship, the scene at the airport from Casablanca at the end of the movie when Rick shoots Major Strasser, and Captain Renault tells the officers that arrive seconds later to "round up the usual suspects", applies here.

The same top 10 teams (UConn, South Carolina, Iowa, Maryland, UCLA, Utah, Virginia Tech, Stanford, Notre Dame, Ohio St. etc.) that were strong at the finish last year will again vie for this year's championship. In an interview right after the tournament, LSU head coach Kim Mulkey was very confident her team could repeat. This was BEFORE Hailey Van Lith (Louisville) and Aneesah Morrow (DePaul) transferred in. :eek:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just a reminder, ESPN & SI had South Carolina as the preseason 2022-2023 #1. How did that work out for them? SI had LSU at #16 and ESPN didn't even have them in the top 25. So much for expert predictions.

It's wide open. Let's play the games.
I would seriously caution my Boneyard brethren not to take the Gamecocks or the Tigers lightly. That would be a foolish error in judgement. No doubt, THAT SEC Conference game will be on national TV this season, and sold out soon after the tickets go on sale. It looks to be one of the best WCBB contests of the season.

I'll be at the "Hall of Fame" series on November 6 in Las Vegas (I already have my tickets and my room reservations) to see the LSU Tigers and the women of Troy (USC) and the #1 recruit in the class of 2023 Juju Watkins IN PERSON. :D

NCAA champion LSU women's basketball team to begin title defense in Las Vegas

Kim Mulkey will be taking her dazzling, eye-catching outfits and national championship women's basketball team to the bright lights of Las Vegas this fall. Mulkey and the Tigers will begin defense of the NCAA title they won back in April when they open the season on Nov. 6 in the 2023 Hall of Fame series in T-Mobile Arena, just steps away from the famed Las Vegas Strip. I bet she'll bring half the state of Louisiana with them. LSU will likely be No. 1 in the preseason polls and favored to go back-to-back when it meets up with Colorado of the Pac-12 Conference. USC will face Ohio St.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
yes- I am right. and I use the cavetat "if healthy . . ."

You seriously say you are from the show-me-state but then you bury your head in the sand reagrding Azzi Fudd with her injuires and what she showed when healthy????

I see yet another example of your hatred being lashed out on here with your in bold few sentences. You can't resiist taking potshots at UCONN fans, can you? You haters crack me up. Bury your head in the sand on anything positive as if "how dare anyone post projected great things on a UCONN site about UCONN in which their team has won 11 ttiles, had previously gone to 14 staright final fours-- how dare they. "

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just a reminder, ESPN & SI had South Carolina as the preseason 2022-2023 #1. How did that work out for them? SI had LSU at #16 and ESPN didn't even have them in the top 25. So much for expert predictions.

It's wide open. Let's play the games.
I'm not even a South Carolina fan, but I'd say last year worked out fairly well for them. Undefeated and #1 thru the entire regular season, reached the Final 4. They obviously wanted a repeat Title, but for the vast majority of teams that would be an outstanding season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom