Favorite UConn Role Player | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Favorite UConn Role Player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
RJ Evans? TSam?

Jeez. Living through the newbie posts is tough.

Rash Jones lost his starting job in his junior year and never complained. In the Big East tourney, Kevin Freeman got hurt and Rash played PF with 17 pts, 9 reb in the final. I think he even played center for a few minutes.

The next year, he was on the court as time wound down and we beat Duke 77-74. Ultimate team guy. Played the 2, 3 and occasional 4 without ever whining.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Exactly like mau said...when I saw the subject I expected that first nominee to be Lyman.

And my guy is the Mini Microwave, Sir John Gwynn.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
1. Niels - maybe the best we ever had.
2. Kromah
3. Austrie
4. Soulymane Wane
5. Chuck
6. Brendan Allen

pj

Reaction Score
They have to have won a championship to be favorites:
2014 - Niels Giffey
2011 - Roscoe Smith
2004 - Josh Boone
1999 - Souleymane Wane

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Donnell Beverly and Chuck Okwandu, unheralded guys in UConn's history who had strong roles in winning a national championship
DBev was absolutely crucial to the off-the-court chemistry the team developed.

Reaction Score
My favorite was Vern Giscombe.quick point / sg from NYC. Came off the bench and could handle the point put also score.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Wow. How could I forget. The epitome of a role player. Marcus White. Had one job to do off the bench. Come in and take control of the boards. Particularly the offensive boards. Man, I loved watching him play. So did George Blaney.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I have to go with Lyman aand Gwynn. Game changers.

Reaction Score
Hard to call Rashad a "role player" He was the go-to guy in crunch time for many close games and a career 11 ppg scorer. When I think of "role player" I think of Rashamel Jones. Someone who never stood out but was paramount to the teams success

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Lyman and Gwynn. In baseball terms Lyman was JC's version of Mariano Rivera. Gwynn was JC's version of David Ortiz.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's Lyman for me. He had a great quote that I thought spoke to JC's strengths as a coach. Lyman had a great game to key a big win after not getting much PT in the previous couple of games. Was he concerned with where he stood during that stretch? "Nah, I knew coach would get back to me."

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Lyman. Dude did a good good job guarding Alonzo Mourning and Dana Baros. His dunk against OSU in NIT final pumped us up as a freshman, and his two handed dunk from just inside foul line against BC at Conte is one of my all time favorites.

Close second John Gwynn. Instant offense off the bench.

The Hoya Annoya!

Reaction Score
RJ Evans? TSam?

Jeez. Living through the newbie posts is tough.

Rash Jones lost his starting job in his junior year and never complained. In the Big East tourney, Kevin Freeman got hurt and Rash played PF with 17 pts, 9 reb in the final. I think he even played center for a few minutes.

The next year, he was on the court as time wound down and we beat Duke 77-74. Ultimate team guy. Played the 2, 3 and occasional 4 without ever whining.

Rash Jones was one of my favorite UConn players. When I went to Calhoun's basketball camp as a kid he was the coach of my team and was far and away the best coach there.

He spent extra time hanging around with us than was required. He brought us (the players on his team) into the locker room and we got to check out the facilities and chill with the other players. I remembering him making fun of Voskuhl because he spent a couple hours a day talking on the phone to his girlfriend.

As a kid he was one of my idols and for him to do what he did was really cool. He couldn't have been a nicer guy and played an important role in our first national title.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How are we defining role players? Are starters role players?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My favorite was Vern Giscombe.quick point / sg from NYC. Came off the bench and could handle the point put also score.
Always thought he should gotten some minutes from Hobbsy. I do think that Hobbs ran the team better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom