OT: - favorite tunes from the 21st century | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: favorite tunes from the 21st century

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
The Subdudes from 2006.

I had no idea the subdudes persevered that long. I had a close friend who was tight with them and followed them beginning when they were the Continental Drifters. Saw them once as the CD's, then one of their early tour gigs as the subdudes and got to meet and chat with all of them. I knew they went through some rough times in the 90's, and I'm glad they got through them.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Here's another interesting Eurometal band. Tiarra had both a violin and cello, and they blended really well into the metal sound. The cellist and violinist are sisters who play in a classical piano trio. It's not unusual for Eurometal players to also have classical gigs.

Reaction Score
That's wonderful you are able to share some music with your grandson! Sounds like fun.

I can't help but think once upon a time many parents hated Elvis Presley...and then the next generation hated The Beatles, etc. etc. Not that I'm comparing any current artists to Presley or The Beatles, but there is a precedent for one generation not understanding or appreciating the music of the next generation.

I hear ya about demeaning lyrics. You weren't specific but I know rap is fairly notorious for that, and has been for a long time. That's one genre I don't care for, and can't imagine myself ever enjoying it.
The first time I heard Elvis it was like the sun exploded. When I heard his version of Mystery Train I wore out my 45 player (how's that for aging?) When my Grandmother saw him for the first time she said "He looks like he has to go to the bathroom." You are so right about generational understanding.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They've been around since the 90's, but this was from 2011

Little Bit Alright - Big Sugar

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
@nwhoopsfan introduced a tune from The Civil Wars earlier in this thread. They broke up awhile back. Here is one from Joy Williams , one half of the duo:

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
One of the early Santana collaborations. This is from 2002. I fondly remember a vehicle full of my daughters AAU basketball buddies screaming it out after a nice win at a tournament in Mobile, Al . They were playing into the AAU Nationals competition, and they could not have been happier.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
They broke up awhile back. Here is one from Joy Williams , one half of the duo:

She had an at least moderately successful solo career as a CCM artist prior to The Civil Wars. I'm glad she's continued to make music. I've read a bit about it, the breakup of the band was painful for both of them.

She also had a semi-recurring role as the crazy ex-girlfriend of the lead singer of the band in the Showtime series "Roadies."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom