OT: - favorite tunes from the 21st century | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: favorite tunes from the 21st century

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
With permission, this is a Dylan tune with new lyrics.

Their main vocalist is Rhett Miller, but one of their guitar players Murry Hammond sings lead on about one song per album. His songs always have a different vibe and I usually really dig his songs. Like this.

White Port- Old 97's

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I have to look up release dates on some of these, some of the early 2000s stuff I get confused w/ late 90s.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I haven't gone completely nuts in a song thread for a while. I'm feeling inspired.

I thought this band started earlier, but everything other than their first album came in 2000 or later. So many good songs to pick from. Some of their videos are goofy but there are a ton of fan made videos using footage from movies, tv shows and video games.

and another one just because
Within Temptation - What Have You Done (Video)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
For whatever reason Netherlands is the epicenter of symphonic metal, but there are bands from all over Europe. This outfit is Austrian. I really like a bunch of their songs.

This one they venture into a bit of a different sound, I'd definitely call this folk metal. Yes, that really is a thing. This song features hammer dulcimer, mandolin and some kind of whistle. Definitely can hear some Celtic influence in it.

EDENBRIDGE "On The Other Side" (Official Video)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Some of the folk metal bands use pretty much the entire arsenal. Bagpipes, accordion, hurdy-gurdy (if you've never heard of that, look it up; might be the weirdest instrument in existence) and pretty much anything and everything with strings. Lyrics can dip into folklore, legends, sagas, etc. The genre is a pretty interesting mashup. Here is but one example.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Some more southern rock. Out of S. California. Song released last month.

Do You Remember - Robert Jon and the Wreck

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
here is your hurdy gurdy man

I don't hear a hurdy gurdy though. False advertising! I thought there was some sitar, but according to wiki it's a tanpura, another Indian instrument.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I don't hear a hurdy gurdy though. False advertising! I thought there was some sitar, but according to wiki it's a tanpura, another Indian instrument.
I realize there wasn't an actual hurdy gurdy , but I was just cranking you up a bit! ;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Some of the folk metal bands use pretty much the entire arsenal. Bagpipes, accordion, hurdy-gurdy (if you've never heard of that, look it up; might be the weirdest instrument in existence) and pretty much anything and everything with strings. Lyrics can dip into folklore, legends, sagas, etc. The genre is a pretty interesting mashup. Here is but one example.

I noticed a bouzouki in that video. There's one in this song, too, from a band out of Ukraine.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Last one for now. Tom Waits has done some of the best music in the last 20 years. This one has incredibly creative lyrics (written by Tom and his wife Kathleen Brennan).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom