OT: - favorite tunes from the 21st century | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: favorite tunes from the 21st century

Reaction Score
I see comments like this on you tube all the time. I don't agree with it. There's still good music out there, you just have to find it. It sounds different than music did in the 50s, or the 60s, or the 70, or the 80s, etc. But music is always changing. Sorry if this is offensive, but I find the "there's no good music anymore" attitude to be a bit lazy.

I always struggle with "best" or "favorite" music threads. Just too much to choose from to narrow it down. But I'll try to throw a few out there to show there really is good music still being made in the 21st century. This sister duo from Sweden is magical, there's a bit of timeless quality to their sound.

I know what you are saying NWhoopfan and, mostly, I agree with you. Good music is good music. My Grandson, who is 22, was riding with me in the car last year and I put on a cd of oldies one of which was Ted Weems orchestral version of "Heartaches". This even predates me but it blew him away. My main problem with music today is that it is too computerized and, I know that this will predate me, I don't really care for lyrics that are demeaning to anyone whether it be men or women. But, that's the world we live in so I'll string along with Chet Atkins or Los Lobos for the time being.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
This couple from Carolina do some magical stuff. This is one of my favorites. Simple music,done well.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I know what you are saying NWhoopfan and, mostly, I agree with you. Good music is good music. My Grandson, who is 22, was riding with me in the car last year and I put on a cd of oldies one of which was Ted Weems orchestral version of "Heartaches". This even predates me but it blew him away. My main problem with music today is that it is too computerized and, I know that this will predate me, I don't really care for lyrics that are demeaning to anyone whether it be men or women. But, that's the world we live in so I'll string along with Chet Atkins or Los Lobos for the time being.

That's wonderful you are able to share some music with your grandson! Sounds like fun.

I can't help but think once upon a time many parents hated Elvis Presley...and then the next generation hated The Beatles, etc. etc. Not that I'm comparing any current artists to Presley or The Beatles, but there is a precedent for one generation not understanding or appreciating the music of the next generation.

I hear ya about demeaning lyrics. You weren't specific but I know rap is fairly notorious for that, and has been for a long time. That's one genre I don't care for, and can't imagine myself ever enjoying it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I already posted something from First Aid Kit, but gonna do another one. I think this song is an absolute masterpiece.

The intro is kinda funny. I was going "Wait a minute, what?" but then consider the title of the song.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
I'm the queen of Hell
and I burn for you
burn burn burn

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Rhiannon Giddens is a rare talent.

Last edited:

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
U no like EDM? Maybe dis iz not 2 funky 4 U.

Reaction Score
If it has a guitar, banjo, fiddle or mandolin I listen. I wish more people would appreciate bluegrass.
Their out there but maybe the silent Majority. I have tried for a few years to get decent tickets for Steve Martin and The Steep Canyon Rangers. You have to pay triple digits to be in the same zip code and watch on a large screen at most venues. And just to be in tune with the thread this is 21st century. ;)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I have tried for a few years to get decent tickets for Steve Martin and The Steep Canyon Rangers.

I saw the Steep Canyon Rangers...without Steve Martin. It was a small bluegrass festival in a tiny rural town east of Portland (on the Washington side of the Columbia). Cheap admission to the festival. Paying an awfully big premium for Martin.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
As you can see already, music died before that.

You obviously haven't looked far enough. As others have pointed out, there's been good stuff from pretty much every genre. Heck, some good stuff has even made it onto pop stations:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I see comments like this on you tube all the time. I don't agree with it. There's still good music out there, you just have to find it. It sounds different than music did in the 50s, or the 60s, or the 70, or the 80s, etc. But music is always changing.
Maybe it seems like a cheating a bit to pick fairly recent songs that sound like they could've been made a long time ago. There's just a lot of good stuff that isn't mainstream, you aren't going to hear it on radio stations.
This thread is not fair to us old folks that tend to rehash oldies and classic rock. Having said that I am fortunate enough to find even newer material that I really find not only an enjoyable listen but interesting.
My main problem with music today is that it is too computerized But, that's the world we live in so I'll string along with Chet Atkins or Los Lobos for the time being.
As NW said, there is a lot of good "new" music out there. Probably not gonna hear it on the radio though. Except maybe some really independent local stations. There is "new" rock, southern rock, blues stuff that sounds like it might have been made back in the day, but it's recent. And there is some newer sounding rock that's pretty good too. I'll post some stuff so you guys can expand your listening beyond stuff released in the 60's/70's. ;)

Although these guys are from Canada (circa 2018), they could easily be from N. Florida, circa early 70's.

The Sheepdogs - I've Got a Hole Where My Heart Should Be

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

DMV represent.

diamond in the back, with a sunroof top,
digging the scene, with a gangsta lean.
be thankful for what you've got.
the original. posers, step off. lol.
fun fact. when the long version ended a few moments ago, every songbird living within the sound of that beat was singing up a storm. took aboot 2 minutes after it stopped for them to shut up. nothing like a day in june.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom