OT: favorite tunes from the 21st century

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Billie Eilish "Bad Guy":

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
I was working on a pipe mill drives and automation job in Texas when this song was popular. It just seemed to fit the place and time.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
As you can see already, music died before that.

I see comments like this on you tube all the time. I don't agree with it. There's still good music out there, you just have to find it. It sounds different than music did in the 50s, or the 60s, or the 70, or the 80s, etc. But music is always changing. Sorry if this is offensive, but I find the "there's no good music anymore" attitude to be a bit lazy.

I always struggle with "best" or "favorite" music threads. Just too much to choose from to narrow it down. But I'll try to throw a few out there to show there really is good music still being made in the 21st century. This sister duo from Sweden is magical, there's a bit of timeless quality to their sound.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Another very timeless artist. She got started in the mid 90s. I think her soul was transported from an earlier era. She's continued to craft fine tunes into this century, in fact I think she's only gotten better as time has gone by.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maybe it seems like a cheating a bit to pick fairly recent songs that sound like they could've been made a long time ago. There's just a lot of good stuff that isn't mainstream, you aren't going to hear it on radio stations. I like most of this women's songs, I just picked one kinda randomly. She's fairly prolific, she's been cranking out records for the last 15 years. I saw her live a little bit before the covid shutdown (Valentine's Day).

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Shoot, now that I got started I might have a hard time stopping. There are just SO many different genres of music now. Some of it isn't for everybody, but if you can't find anything appealing anymore, I just don't know what to say. I didn't know what to call it, but bands like Mazzy Star, Cowboy Junkies and The Sundays had some great music in the 90s. I've seen the terms dream pop and shoegaze for that kind of sound thrown around. Some more recent bands have continued that, there's some really good stuff by Speck Mountain, Widowspeak and Still Corners.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
But metal is flourishing in Europe, all kinds of subgenres. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I know my buddy @Bigboote will attest there is all kinds of killer symphonic and goth metal out there. Some goes back to the 90s but plenty this century. And yes, if it isn't obvious I'm very female centric when it comes to vocalist, just what I prefer.

(music starts about a minute in on this one)

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Rilo Kiley as a band and Jenny Lewis as a solo artist have put out a bunch of good stuff this century.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Electronica/EDM isn't for everyone either. I used to ignore it, but then I got more open minded about music. Now I love it. Nearly endless variety to explore.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Anyway, I could keep going all day. I could come up with hundreds of songs I consider good music from this century. It may not be for everyone, but happily music is far from dead.

Reaction Score
This thread is not fair to us old folks that tend to rehash oldies and classic rock. Having said that I am fortunate enough to find even newer material that I really find not only an enjoyable listen but interesting.
Got one here with a couple of middle aged guys working their song with a couple of not so middle aged guys. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom