Favorite Summer Olympic sports? | The Boneyard

Favorite Summer Olympic sports?

Reaction Score
Favorite Summer Olympic Sport and most underappreciated?

Track and Field will always be king for me and I'm sure for most but right up there with it is men's indoor volleyball. i was lucky enough to go to the Olympics as a kid and the first day was men's indoor volleyball and I was blown away by it. I got to see everything including the Dream Team and track and field world records but the volleyball was incredible and you really get an appreciation for how crazy it is live. I look forward to it every Olympics.

Reaction Score
Rugby sevens. These men and women are freaking warriors. And so much more exciting than traditional rugby 15’s.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Used to be boxing years ago. Can't really say I still have one as I haven't watched the last 3-4 including this one. Will still watch hockey at Winter Games.

Reaction Score
Winter > Summer by far but for summer I think it has to be T&F. Fencing is a personal favorite.

Reaction Score
Used to be boxing years ago. Can't really say I still have one as I haven't watched the last 3-4 including this one. Will still watch hockey at Winter Games.
Boxing is the only thing ive watched this Olympics and it was a couple fights. This has been the least interested in the events that i can remember and my usual interest isnt that high to begin with.

Reaction Score
Favorite Summer Olympic Sport and most underappreciated?

Track and Field will always be king for me and I'm sure for most but right up there with it is men's indoor volleyball. i was lucky enough to go to the Olympics as a kid and the first day was men's indoor volleyball and I was blown away by it. I got to see everything including the Dream Team and track and field world records but the volleyball was incredible and you really get an appreciation for how crazy it is live. I look forward to it every Olympics.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big track and field fan too but when people say their favorite Olympic event is track and field I can't help but laugh as that encapsulates basically half the Olympics

I really liked the mountain biking...was this first time for it? I don't remember watching it before. Skateboarding was kinda cool to see but 20 yrs too late. Tony Hawk of course was heavily involved which was cool

Reaction Score
Had the TV on for a bit this morning and they had 3 on 3 basketball on? When and why did this become an Olympic event? It was 3 Chinese women against 3 Italian women and it was brutal.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Track & field and swimming

Was knocking back a few beers at a neighbor's house watching swimming.

We were talking about how swimming and track are two sports where nearly the entire world can opt in to performing.

There are a few alpha sports where you can say I am the best in the world- Men's 100m in track, 100 lm freestyle, boxing heavyweight champ. Apex of the world. Fastest, strongest. No "pound for pound" qualifier needed to give accomplishment context.

Those are the events I tend to watch.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I will watch it all. I don’t care.

Cycling is actually relatively convenient this time around - they’re on overnight, so I watched the road and mountain bike races. Swimming is near and dear to this house, so that is watched, recorded and watched again. Track and field, the marathon, soccer, 3x3 basketball, basketball, the triathlon, etc.

Watched surfing today - great. All great.

Exception - skateboarding. What a joke. It’s not ready to be an Olympic sport with a talent pool that shallow. Those people sucked. If that event was in a local park, it would have sucked. They all sucked.

Reaction Score
The Olympics are a massive bore.
The most absurd competition is Tae Kwon Do....I used to compete in Karate tournaments, circa 1970s, and yes I have meet Chuck Norris...Ron Marchini was my Sensi. Tae Kwon Do Olympic competition is slap stick at best.

Reaction Score
Exception - skateboarding. What a joke. It’s not ready to be an Olympic sport with a talent pool that shallow. Those people sucked. If that event was in a local park, it would have sucked. They all sucked.
Turned it on for a bit and wow it was bad. Watching competitors fail to land their trick over and over and over again.

Reaction Score
Swimming is always enjoyable, I'll probably end up turning on some of the baseball and basketball once it's medal games too. For the most part, meh. Olympics never excited me much and knowing the results in advance makes it worse

Reaction Score
I will watch it all. I don’t care.

Cycling is actually relatively convenient this time around - they’re on overnight, so I watched the road and mountain bike races. Swimming is near and dear to this house, so that is watched, recorded and watched again. Track and field, the marathon, soccer, 3x3 basketball, basketball, the triathlon, etc.

Watched surfing today - great. All great.

So true on skateboarding. An entire event was sliding down one railing. 9 out of 10 wiped out almost every time. The one that didn't won. The whole event became a very painful comedy of errors.

Reactions: VCE
Reaction Score
Olympics never excited me much and knowing the results in advance makes it worse

I'm in Japan, so you would think I wouldn't have any problems with seeing everything. But I was pretty shocked that I had no way to watch the American men's gymnastics live.

The Japanese broadcast did not show it, only Japan, China, and ROC.

I have YouTube TV, so I thought, oh I'll just watch the NBC broadcast. Nope. They're not showing it live. Anywhere... Except their stupid app. Which, unlike YouTube TV, I couldn't get to work here.

Very strange.

There is probably some subscription satellite Japanese TV channel I could have watched it on, but I just have the basic ones.

Reaction Score
Enjoy the swimming the most. Also both indoor and beach volleyball. Water polo is very enjoyable. It's my curling for the summer games.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
The Olympics are a massive bore.
You Are Fast And Furious GIF by The Fast Saga

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members