favorite season to watch as a fan? | The Boneyard

favorite season to watch as a fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
it is close between 99 and 2010 for me. I think for me it was 2010. great to watch that team grow as a team

connectikev

RIP, Kev (3/4/2018)
Reaction Score
it is close between 99 and 2010 for me. I think for me it was 2010. great to watch that team grow as a team
No question in my mind - 1989-1990 was unbelievable! By the time the Huskies beat the holy trinity of G'Town, Syracuse and St John's there was no doubt that a "season of a lifetime" was underway.

Reaction Score
AGREED, 89/90 was so much fun because success like that was so new to us. Losing the E8 game at the buzzer to Dook was still the worst I have ever felt after a UCONN loss. I just never imagined that they wouldn't win it all.

Reaction Score
99 was the best experience I had as a UCONN fan. Drove down with my brother to the FF and watched us win #1.

Last year was the best season. Being a reformed Real Estate guy- the last couple of years have resembled a sandwich during work hours. From the time Maui started till the end of the year was nothing short of unexpected happiness and exceeded expectations. Many fans never get to experience that feeling.

Reaction Score
last year was amazing for me.. Just to follow all the recruitment misses only to get who we did. Then going to the first game and thinking to myself these freshman don't seem like freshman. Just to do what we did last year was amazing. 99 was amazing. But i was young then... Last year is fresh and still almost a dream :p
i should use the word amazing more.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I know this will be an EXTREMELY unpopular choice, but I loved 05-06 (up until George Mason of course)

Reaction Score
89-90 without a doubt. i was in 7th grade and had zero interest or knowledge about college hoops but one day a couple of my friends were going on about uconn and how the team was really good that year so i asked what they were talking about and they were talking about the upcoming gtown game so it peeked my interest that a team from connnecticut was good at anything so i decided to start tuning in. im not sure which game i saw first but i believe it was the syracuse game and i was instantly a fan.
i became obsessed with the team and followed their climb in the polls and the excitement of that season started spreading everywhere. the news, the papers people were talking about uconn hoops everywhere. i remember them playing an afternoon game in the big east tourney on a school day and the teachers cancelled the lesson plan and brought all the kids from our cluster to one room and we got to watch the game. it was awesome. great childhood memories that ill never forget.
for the record id say 99 is #2 and 11 is #3 in my book.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
In order:
89-90
98-99
10-11

Reaction Score
1964-65. Freshman year. Played in fieldhouse where we played on the built up floor and had rope nets at each end due to short distance to stands. You were on top of the game. Had Toby Kimball (a real fun guy to watch) and Wonderful Wes and this real skinny forward who played like a spider. No special seats for the suits. Lost to St Josephs with Matt Gukos in the NCAA's. In addition had freshman team (had 6'7" player, Bill Corley? I think his name, great kid and good player ), all freshman guys lived in jungle so knew the players. Got to see two games instead of one each time we played (freshmand and varsity). Just being an NCAA team was a big deal. Winning a game in the tournament was the goal. Played BCU coached by Bob Cousy, think that was the year also for Holy Cross and Jack "the shot" Foley.

Reaction Score
Idk about the regular season but last years tournament from Big East to the NCAA was probably my favorite time as a Uconn fan.

Reaction Score
After March 29, the 1998-99 season moved to the top of the list, but those of us who had suffered through the previous decade can probably remember that the journey was actually not all that much fun all the time, due to expectations and pressure of trying to break through to the Final Four. We struggled with Marathon Oil in the exhibition game and we had 20-page threads trying to talk people off the ledge. Both St. John's games were high points, as was the Stanford game, but we also struggled with UMass, Pitt (the El-Amin scorers table game), lost at home to Miami, barely escaped Seton Hall in Big East quarters and we all wondered what was wrong with us. And to this day I will say that I've never HATED a sporting event more than I did the Gonzaga game. That thing was pure unadulterated hell. At least when George Mason happened, we already had two titles. Gonzaga would have been an overwhelmingly soul-crushing loss, and we were one more banked in Quentin Hall three from having it happen.

For season-long enjoyment, 1989-90 will always be tough to top. I enjoyed the 2001-02 season (the Caron Butler year), the 2008-09 season (despite the Final Four loss) and last year - since those were the years we re-emerged as a power and exceeded expectations. Last year had the slump late, but at least I felt comfortable about where the program was again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom