OT: - Favorite Music - What Artists, Groups, Genre, Do You Love the Most?? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Favorite Music - What Artists, Groups, Genre, Do You Love the Most??

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
During the British Invasion, I particularly liked The Dave Clark Five, with lead singer Mike Smith. So glad to see them inducted into the Rock and Roll HOF. Departing from their big raucous rockers, this song displays their talents on slow romantic songs as well.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Like many here, I love most kinds of music, although I shy away from a lot of popular stuff since probably the early 70's. I discovered Eurometal (symphonic and progressive metal) a scant decade ago and was boasting to my wife how I'm listening to something entirely new when I was in my 50's. She said "That's the same sort of thing you've always been listening to." And I realized that for me it all comes back to progressive rock (as well as traditional folk). The band that best exemplifies this is Gentle Giant. They could be extremely noisy, but at the same time they often had a strong early/folk flavor to a lot of their music.

This is one that shows off their artistry.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Going to traditional folk, Steeleye Span is probably the most consistent band in my listening over the last 50 years. This is one of my faves of theirs:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
1686434515625.png

Reaction Score
The Crusaders - such a prominent jazz fusion group in the 70's.

The core of the group, Joe Sample, Wilton Felder, Wayne Henderson, have all passed, but their music lives on:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My favorite genre in music is songs that make sense. Here is an illustration from a poet who couldn't sing much:

It could have easily been Blowin' In The Wind, This land Is Your Land, Riding On The City of New Orleans etc, etc. Lots of us grew up in a time of change that found its voices in music. It was a very rich time for song.

Reaction Score
I like almost all kinds of music! Especially romantic or "message" songs!
I'm not thrilled with Rap, Hip Hop, Gangsta Rap, and the Heavy Metal bands!
I like some of the well-known opera's even!
My favorite artists (in no particular order):
Garth Brooks
Frank Sinatra
Lady Altabellum
Sugarland
Phil Collins
Kelly Clarkson
Eric Clapton
Johnny Hartman
Barbra Steisand
Ray Charles
Eva Cassidy
Wagner
Barry Manilow
Leanne Rimes
Supremes/Diana Ross
Jeffrey Osborne
Alabama
Dolly Parton
Billy Ocean
Billy Joel
Billy Holiday
All Big Band era
Bee Gees
The Beatles
Jackie Evancho
Buddy Guy
Buddy Holly
Carly Simon
Paul Simon
Charice
Carole King
Celine Dion
Chicago
Whitney Houston
CCR
The Eagles
Ella Fitzgerald
Elton John
Fleetwood Mac
Tony Bennett
George Benson
Harry Connick Jr.
Tina Turner
James Taylor
Michael Bolton
Michael Crawford
Michael Jackson
Nat King Cole
Willie Nelson

And I know others that escape this 75 year old mind!

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I like mostly rock, blues rock. Some older pop stuff. Some outlaw country (kinda country rock). Although I will also listen to some classical/showtunes. Not a big fan of country, rap, hip-hop, more current pop.

My favorite song.

Sympathy for the Devil - The Rolling Stones

Reaction Score
Love the soft jazz/blues sound of some artists.

The Mark-Almond Band is one of them:

Reaction Score
Living in an Army barracks in the early '60's cured me of listening to popular music on the radio. While I've heard of some of the performers mentioned here, any hearing them perform was purely accidental. After getting out of the army I flirted briefly with jazz, had a dalliance with swing, and wandered back through the various forms of classical music, and seem to have gotten stuck in Baroque.

Reaction Score
I had students that were brother and sister, one was named Luke and the other was named Anna Lee. They always claimed this as a special song in their household. Here are two versions of the song that are quite interesting. I was in attendance for the Springsteen one, which was unplanned and a spur of the moment choice for a fan request. My student played this version on our weekly Bruce Springsteen radio show. The other is just a really good version featuring the Staple Singers (Coincidentally someone posted this version a while back on this site the day after I had sent it to my student).

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
My favorite genre in music is songs that make sense. Here is an illustration from a poet who couldn't sing much:

. . .
Nonsense songs are almost a genre unto themselves. Scarborough Fair is the most well-known example, but there are loads more. My favorite versions of Nottamun Town are from west-coast dulcimer players Lance Frodsham and Kate Price, but those aren't available on YT. Here's probably the best-known version, from Fairport Convention:

ETA: I'd take issue with Bob Dylan "couldn't sing much." Crappy voice, yes, but he is a great singer.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I have two or three current favorite symphonic metal bands. Here's a live performance with orchestra and chorus from Epica:

Reaction Score
I really like the Stevie Nicks era Fleetwood Mac, but the early lineup of Peter Green, Danny Kiwan, Bob Welch etc was something special, really special:

Hypnotized is probably my favorite from the pre-Buckingham/Nicks era, with Albatross right up there. I'm a big Fleetwood Mac fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom