Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In my mind, our five best players (if Durham comes back from injury), are:
Gilbert
Adams
Purvis
Larrier
Durham

Not saying that lineup makes sense, and, I see key needs for guys like Diara, Brimah, Jackson, and Enoch.

I love this team's depth; it's something we haven't had for awhile.

I'm really high on Gilbert, and was blown away by Durham's high school videos. Those two really look like Kemba (with Boat's elevation), and Donyell to me. Love Jalen, but he's a bit more Bazz-like, but without having the Kemba mentorship. (That isn't an insult, I fully admit that I never thought Bazz was going to lead us to the promised land - Bazz exceeded expectations in a way that I can't comprehend).

Reaction Score
Gilbert
Adams
Purvis
Facey
Brimah
This lineup gives us two guards to open things up. Also has an experienced front court with the best rebounder and best rim protector on the team. Also, a back court of AG, JA, and RP would be a force defensively. LArrier would be the absolute perfect 6th man.

Reaction Score
In my mind, our five best players (if Durham comes back from injury), are:
Gilbert
Adams
Purvis
Larrier
Durham

Not saying that lineup makes sense, and, I see key needs for guys like Diara, Brimah, Jackson, and Enoch.

I love this team's depth; it's something we haven't had for awhile.

I'm really high on Gilbert, and was blown away by Durham's high school videos. Those two really look like Kemba (with Boat's elevation), and Donyell to me. Love Jalen, but he's a bit more Bazz-like, but without having the Kemba mentorship. (That isn't an insult, I fully admit that I never thought Bazz was going to lead us to the promised land - Bazz exceeded expectations in a way that I can't comprehend).

I don't think you can compare either. AG may have a kemba type dance move handle, but he's tiny In comparison. And because of that likely has no NBA future.

Jalen is much longer and more athletic than shabazz. Shabazz was an elite shooter; Jalen had no shot. Bazz was only a decent finisher (percentages weren't great) but Jalen was great, at least going right.

You also have 3 players we have never seen before as in our best 5. One of whom hasn't played competitive basketball in nearly two years, another who was so-so at VCU, and another who is maybe 5'10 on a good day.

That's not to say they WONT he killer players for us, or that one or two won't step up. But it's presumptive of you (imho) to think they will all pan out.

Reaction Score
In terms of starting, Purvis is sitting behind no one, and especially not any of the freshman. Nothing against Jalen, but he will be our ace, and the team will go as far as he takes us. He studied under Bazz, and worked with alongside Boat.

I think we have to put the team on his shoulders, and I believe he is capable of handling it. If not then we are a year away, which is okay as well with this group.

Reaction Score
I don't think you can compare either. AG may have a kemba type dance move handle, but he's tiny In comparison. And because of that likely has no NBA future.

Jalen is much longer and more athletic than shabazz. Shabazz was an elite shooter; Jalen had no shot. Bazz was only a decent finisher (percentages weren't great) but Jalen was great, at least going right.

You also have 3 players we have never seen before as in our best 5. One of whom hasn't played competitive basketball in nearly two years, another who was so-so at VCU, and another who is maybe 5'10 on a good day.

That's not to say they WONT he killer players for us, or that one or two won't step up. But it's presumptive of you (imho) to think they will all pan out.

The Kemba reference is more about quickness. I think Alterique is really fast, and also has that command that Kemba has.
Yes, Jalen didn't shoot that well freshman year, but I think that will improve a fair bit with more touches and presumably not having to compete as much for minutes. You're right, he has NBA size for a PG, but isn't quite as quick as I thought he'd be ( like Bazz).

There is a chance 'Rique will grow another inch or two, he's young, while Jalen is an older aged sophomore. (I think he's almost 21).

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
RP is the top returning scorer last yr and his performance in conference tourney and NCAAs was really really good
I can't believe many of you don't have him playing much
Also looks like Jalen is on many short lists
I love the freshmen but none of them are starting
Hoping SE is going to be a huge improvement this year

Reaction Score
I think Gilbert is more suited for the sixth man role. Shabazz, Kemba, Jalen have all filled that role their Freshman years.

Reaction Score
See I don't know if this will work, unless the match ups work with a smaller opposing team. I think Enoch is going to be essential in the starting lineup to grab boards with his big frame. Enoch HAS to average 8-10 RBs a game.

I think 8-10 rebs is his upside as an upperclassmen. Would be thrilled if he could do that this year, but I don't see him getting the court time because his defense is suspect.

Reaction Score
After watching today's game I'd have to say Gilbert, Adams, Jackson, Larrier, Facey.

Reaction Score
RP is the top returning scorer last yr and his performance in conference tourney and NCAAs was really really good
I can't believe many of you don't have him playing much

RP hit his ceiling a long, long time ago. Coaches know exactly what his game is, when he will shoot, when he will turn the ball over etc. Scores in the teens, takes a lot of shots to do it most of the time. At this point, it may just be fair to say that there are players on the team that have a much higher ceiling than him, and the more games they play, the closer they get to passing him by improving quick enough. Watching the game live yesterday- I saw some signs from guys like Larrier, Jackson etc. that they honestly might grow this year to be better than Purvis is, and Purvis will see playing time decrease. It's one game- I realize that, but we've had four years of Purvis- he's not going to improve or get any worse. He is what he is.

...or @FeedTheDove is correct and its just overreaction and Purvis will be an AAC POY type player (I hope it's this one)

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
1- alterique
2- jalen
3- Rodney
4- Larrier
5-Vance Jackson ( our frank kaminsky)

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
It's gotta be Adams, Gilbert, Larrier, Jackson, Facey.

Was anyone else encouraged by Larrier's rebounding yesterday? We need him to step up in that department.

Reaction Score
In terms of starting, Purvis is sitting behind no one, and especially not any of the freshman. Nothing against Jalen, but he will be our ace, and the team will go as far as he takes us. He studied under Bazz, and worked with alongside Boat.

I think we have to put the team on his shoulders, and I believe he is capable of handling it. If not then we are a year away, which is okay as well with this group.
Purvis is just too inconsistent to be "the man". In fact I like him better as a 6th man. Rodney has the ability to dominate against any team when he is on but can stink up the building when he isn't on.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
rsz_03suspects_bd_lineup.jpg

I'll admit, we'd still struggle in the rebounding department.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
People seem to be having some fuzzy memories of Purvis...despite the benching in the middle of last year, he improved leaps and bounds from '14-15, and I recall very few occasions when he "stank up the building" last year.

You take him out of the starting lineup to start the year, and who replaces him? Gilbert got completely dusted by Upchurch, and while Vance looked outstanding, SCJ comes to mind as a cautionary tale regarding expectations that skyrocket post-exhibition.

Reaction Score
People seem to be having some fuzzy memories of Purvis...despite the benching in the middle of last year, he improved leaps and bounds from '14-15, and I recall very few occasions when he "stank up the building" last year.

And, has been mentioned, he ended the season on a strong note.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

You take him out of the starting lineup to start the year, and who replaces him? Gilbert got completely dusted by Upchurch, and while Vance looked outstanding, SCJ comes to mind as a cautionary tale regarding expectations that skyrocket post-exhibition.

Couldn't agree with you more Stair
RP needs to start and continue to until he stinks the joint out.
God, I hope Jackson turns out to be the great shooter ala RA but one game vs New Haven and people have him as the next coming of Ray Allen

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Believe Purvis led the team in scoring and led the perimeter players on shooting percentage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom