Favorite JC Moments | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Favorite JC Moments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll throw another one out those two magic nights in 1990 when UCONN led by JC grabbed the Big East by the throat and served notice that there was a new sherriff in town. Beating Gtown and the the Cuse back to back as the HCC rocked like it never had(first half of the KU Ricky Moore/Kirk King suspended game was pretty good too for HCC being loud).
It really felt like the roof was going to come down (again).

Those of you who were there know what I'm talking about.

Reaction Score
I'll throw another one out those two magic nights in 1990 when UCONN led by JC grabbed the Big East by the throat and served notice that there was a new sherriff in town. Beating Gtown and the the Cuse back to back as the HCC rocked like it never had(first half of the KU Ricky Moore/Kirk King suspended game was pretty good too for HCC being loud).
It really felt like the roof was going to come down (again).

Those of you who were there know what I'm talking about.
yup.

Reaction Score
I don't know when it happened, but after a big win (could have been the BET) he did a little celebratory jump, maybe two jumps and a fist pump, but then looked down at the other bench and straightened up, put on a dour face and shook the guy's hand. It was pretty ' funny.

Reaction Score
I don't know when it happened, but after a big win (could have been the BET) he did a little celebratory jump, maybe two jumps and a fist pump, but then looked down at the other bench and straightened up, put on a dour face and shook the guy's hand. It was pretty ' funny.

That was after the Shot vs Clemson in 89-90 and the other coach was Cliff Ellis.......

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score

doug-yell.jpg

mets1090

Reaction Score
People will not miss those faces, but they'll miss the wins and championships.
Are you crazy? I'll miss those faces every time a player hot dogs it and isn't immediately shown the bench. I'll miss those faces every time the coach (no disrespect to Ollie) misses something small that a player does or does not do that leads to points for another team - the kind of thing Calhoun never missed. Even when things are going well with the next coach, a part of me as a UConn fan will miss the fire and intensity that Calhoun wore on his sleeve every day.

Reaction Score
At the '99 pep rally after the first Title...

"“Well, yesterday we broke some hearts and kicked some ass." :cool:

Related, but a bit earlier - returning to Gampel after the Dream Season ended and telling the crowd something to the effect that the team had started to have its heart broken but the crowd showing its appreciation had mended the broken hearts. And that he believed we'd get to a Final Four someday.

JC has been responsible for giving me more pure joy than any other sports figure. What a lucky SOB I was to grow up in Connecticut in the late 1980's.

mets1090

Reaction Score
Here's a great memory and one to go forward with.

28d1347506072capture.jpg
If this whole Kevin Ollie as Head Coach thing works out, that's a picture to get autographed by both parties right there.

Reaction Score
Remember listening to UConn on a transistor radio in the 1970s. I mean, I listened to that Aleksinas, Kucszinski, Corny T. team lose to Holy Cross and was despondent. I think they lost to Oral Roberts once.

When they won back in 1999, I just sat there in disbelief remember what it was like 20 years earlier.

I never could have imagined it.

Reaction Score
Could have been this:

Reaction Score
His hug last year with Shabazz was special, 2 competitors who had tough years suddenly thanking each other for being there!! Good stuff............maybe the last great memory!!

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
May 15, 1986. My 19th birthday. Finishing my freshman year in Storrs. One of maybe 300 students to have a test on the last day of finals - never took a TuTh 2-3:30 class again.

Reading a newspaper about UConn's new coach, Jim Calhoun from Northeastern.

I had no idea what a great birthday present I received that day.

26 years of thrills & championships.
Trips to 4 Final 4's.
3 National Championships.
100's of memorable games.

Doable Indeed

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I'll never forget his little sideline jigs. To me, they are the essence of Jim Calhoun.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
My favorite Calhoun moment came in 2007, my senior year. A few of us were camped out in front of Gampel the night before the Seton Hall (?) game. The team was brutally bad that year and it was obvious the "fans" were losing interest. Not us. We camped out for every home game that season. We had even hung a sheet up the night before campouts with the words "Camp Calhoun" written on it in blue marker.

In the morning, around 7, we were woken up by a bellowing voice echoing under the Gampel overhang. Everyone knew who it was instantly and sprang from their sleeping bags.

Don't ya know Coach took probably 20 minutes to hang out with all of us, talk hoop in general and about the team, sign the sheet and take as many pictures with people as we wanted. He told us that seeing us camping out for our team when we were in the middle of a tough stretch and lots of people had given up on the guys really meant a lot to him, and his players. He told us that he told his players they still had support and people that loved them no matter how hard the season was and then he invited us to the closed practice session that morning. All of that to show his gratitude to us for sticking by the guys, and using our presence as a motivational tool for the team. We were just thrilled he even said hi. That's gotta be the moment I will remember most about Coach.

Oh that and he told Blaney to buy us all breakfast from Dunkin Donuts.

Reaction Score
Over the last month I was thinking about my greatest Calhoun memory(what i think of when I think of the great JC):

Besides the 3 obvious the one memory that always makes me laugh is seconds after Tater hits "the shot" you see JC leaping airborn jumping up and down and then he realizes he has to go "good game" Clemson Coach Cliff Ellis who is only a couple feet away by this time from a leaping JC.

JC leaps turns and gives the good game handshake to the stunned Cliff Ellis.
Honorable mention to Not one duck**** Dime post game and the ever popular Ryan Gomes post game rant.

There are so many.............

What are your favorite JC moments.

Reaction Score
Over the last month I was thinking about my greatest Calhoun memory(what i think of when I think of the great JC):

Besides the 3 obvious the one memory that always makes me laugh is seconds after Tater hits "the shot" you see JC leaping airborn jumping up and down and then he realizes he has to go "good game" Clemson Coach Cliff Ellis who is only a couple feet away by this time from a leaping JC.

JC leaps turns and gives the good game handshake to the stunned Cliff Ellis.
Honorable mention to Not one duck**** Dime post game and the ever popular Ryan Gomes post game rant.

There are so many.............

What are your favorite JC moments.

Reaction Score
I fondly remember the day Jim was hired. As a diehard, and desperate to see who the new guy was, I drove the 1/2 hour up to campus and squeezed myself into a press conference that was closed to the public. I had never heard of Jim Calhoun, and knew very little of Northeastern U. And although Jim said many of the things one would expect of a new hire, what really resonated that day--and it does today--were the words of Dee Rowe. In the lobby, prior to the press conference, I stood near Dee as he was speaking to another individual when he uttered with guttural emphasis, "This guy can coach."

My personal experience with Jim, and I've crossed paths with him a few times in the earlier years, is that he liked to engage. The first time I bumped into him was while inline at a Dunkin' Donuts after watching Chris Smith and Kolbe Cathedral in a playoff game at Central Conn. U. My girlfriend tapped me on the side to alert me that Jim was behind me. We talked about Chris and the game he played. But what was evident about Jim is that he stood there in a way wanting for me to say hello and wanting to break into conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom