Favorite Huskies That People Forget About - (blog) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Favorite Huskies That People Forget About - (blog)

Reaction Score
I think ...

If you’re a young UCONN Husky fan, I wish you could have watched Joey Whelton, Al Weston & Lee Otis Wilson. Why? Gosh they were shooting the ball from way out - long before the 3 point line. And neither Whelton or Weston were of a size you’d see play for The University once we got to the Big East. I know they weren’t listed as 5-8; but they seemed that.
Joe Whelton was 5' 10" and had a heart bigger than that. He and Weston were like Shabazz and Boatright in that they were undersized but terrific. I could look it up but I don't believe they played with Lee Otis Wilson who could shoot the lights out.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why Earl Wilson mysteriously disappeared before the NIT tournament his senior year? Never a word was mentioned.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Bob Staak
Bobby Boyd
Dennis Wulff
Earl Wilson
John Thomas
Jeff Carr
Jim Abromaitis
Clay Johnson
Larry Blucher
Garry Besselink
Eddie Williams
Al Frederick
Willie McCloud
Recruited by Bob Staak, he was a really nice guy. Always wanted things to work out for him at Wake.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why Earl Wilson mysteriously disappeared before the NIT tournament his senior year? Never a word was mentioned.
Maybe he was the starter for The Red Sox that day

Reaction Score
Henefeld was such a treat to watch. I'm sad for those who didn't get to see him play and that he didn't stay longer. One of those not athletically gifted players, but so basketball smart. I think he gets forgotten due to his short time here and not being in the US now, but he was so key in the full court press playing center field.
Corny gets forgotten as well. I saw him play as a kid, but don't remember much. He's a victim of time passing.
Chuck Aleksinas should be forgotten since it appears he does not recognize his playing days at UConn, only Kentucky. He's a persona non grata in my mind.
I saw Corny dominate Sly Williams (URI) in a game at the now torn down, New Haven Coliseum. Probably Corny's best game ever. Sly played in the NBA for a while. Not sure if Corny ever did.

Reaction Score
Mike Hayes, Hartford kid who played for 2 years, hit some trouble after graduating
Karl Hobbs, trying to get things done in the Ewing era
Norman Bailey, NWC player who along with Al Fredericks upped our athleticism trying to hang with the big dogs in the Big East

Reaction Score
Mike Hayes, Hartford kid who played for 2 years, hit some trouble after graduating
Karl Hobbs, trying to get things done in the Ewing era
Norman Bailey, NWC player who along with Al Fredericks upped our athleticism trying to hang with the big dogs in the Big East

Without too much detail what happened to Mike Hayes? Had some nice back up moments for the Huskies.

Reaction Score
Without too much detail what happened to Mike Hayes? Had some nice back up moments for the Huskies.

Was arrested for dealing pot in Hartford a month after 2003 season ended.

Reaction Score
I saw Corny dominate Sly Williams (URI) in a game at the now torn down, New Haven Coliseum. Probably Corny's best game ever. Sly played in the NBA for a while. Not sure if Corny ever did.
Corny played for Dallas for short while. He actually got in much much better shape but lost shall we say alot of the mass that made him a difficult matchup in college.

Reaction Score
Joe Whelton was 5' 10" and had a heart bigger than that. He and Weston were like Shabazz and Boatright in that they were undersized but terrific. I could look it up but I don't believe they played with Lee Otis Wilson who could shoot the lights out.
Wilson played 2 years. Weston for 2 and Welton 1. Great teams to watch!

Reaction Score
Bob Staak
Bobby Boyd
Dennis Wulff
Earl Wilson
John Thomas
Jeff Carr
Jim Abromaitis
Clay Johnson
Larry Blucher
Garry Besselink
Eddie Williams
Al Frederick
Willie McCloud
Frederick and McCloud, nice ones mau.
Always have been a big Wilson fan. His numbers went down as Hanson Weston...came on board. It happened to others like Chapman and Custick too.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Corny played for Dallas for short while. He actually got in much much better shape but lost shall we say a lot of the mass that made him a difficult matchup in college.
He had a long, successful European career. I remember seeing him play an exhibition game with his championship Euro squad against Magic's Lakers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hasheem Thabeet and Chris Smith- both superstar players at UConn and they're hardly ever mentioned. Hasheem seems to only get mentioned when people bash him.

Albert Mouring

Reaction Score
People forget about them until their memory is jarred. This happens when you recall the players you never forgot and wonder who their teammates were, and you look them up by googling the roster for the years your known favorites played.

Then you see the other players and now you remember if they entertained you, and they make this list.

In the legal field , this is called "refreshing recollection." You are asked if you remember something, and if you do not, you are shown a document and look at it to see if it refreshes your recollection.

If it does not, it does not, except if it is a business record that you knew about or was from your office, it could be admissible for the trial.

On the BY, sometimes if you have followed the team over the years, the names do come to mind, but usually by connecting them to the years you went to school or by remembering the announcer.

I recall players who played when I went to school. Now see, without cheating and looking at the rosters, I remember Sandy Fishman. A guy off the bench who sometimes started because other players got into foul trouble or were out from injuries.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom