Favorite home game memory | The Boneyard

Favorite home game memory

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Beating Rutgers 27-19 at Memorial Stadium in 1973 when they had an All-American tailback, J.J. Jennings. Jennings still holds many Rutger's rushing records. Clinging to a 20-19 lead early in the 4Q, we held the ball for almost 13 minutes, all rushing plays, and scored a TD with about a minute left.

Reaction Score
Beating Rutgers 27-19 at Memorial Stadium in 1973 when they had an All-American tailback, J.J. Jennings. Jennings still holds many Rutger's rushing records. Clinging to a 20-19 lead early in the 4Q, we held the ball for almost 13 minutes, all rushing plays, and scored a TD with about a minute left.

Hey that's an awesome story! I love Memorial Stadium stories. My first UConn football game was vs Colgate in 2000. The atmosphere ON CAMPUS was amazing. I was new to Connecticut from Florida and from that night on I was all in on the UConn Huskies

Reaction Score
Mine is beating West Virginia.

I'm with you. Triple OT. SportsCenter highlight of the night. A cold November evening in Connecticut. Proving we could hang with the big boys. It was a great night.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Usf game in the snow where we drilled a FG to win it. That and 2014 game against SMU. Worst game ever, but my neighbor and I (as well as like 2500 others) stuck it out til the end in the pouring rain. That was when I really knew I was nuts.

Reaction Score
It's still the 2004 night game against Pitt for me. I've still yet to see the Rent as electric as it was that night. If I had to pick a moment from that game maybe Justin Perkins' pick 6 of Palko.

Honorable mention to the Larry Taylor fair catch game. It rained so hard before the game we packed up the tailgate early and headed into the stadium the moment they opened the gates just to hang under the concourse to stay dry.

Reaction Score
Usf game in the snow where we drilled a FG to win it. That and 2014 game against SMU. Worst game ever, but my neighbor and I (as well as like 2500 others) stuck it out til the end in the pouring rain. That was when I really knew I was nuts.

I had to explain to my son why SMU couldn't execute the victory formation at the end of the game. I thought that was rock bottom. Then Tulane happened last year.

Reaction Score
I was one of the 2500 people. I felt bad about my own self for watching the game. Thought it was comical that SMU took 2 or 3 illegal procedure penalties because they couldn't get the victory formation down right.

Reaction Score
It's still the 2004 night game against Pitt for me. I've still yet to see the Rent as electric as it was that night. If I had to pick a moment from that game maybe Justin Perkins' pick 6 of Palko.

Honorable mention to the Larry Taylor fair catch game. It rained so hard before the game we packed up the tailgate early and headed into the stadium the moment they opened the gates just to hang under the concourse to stay dry.
You think it was more electric than the Virginia game on a hot Saturday night? That game to me had an aura that UCONN was going to kick Virgina's @ss from the time the gates opened to tailgate to kickoff. Scalpels had issues finding tickets that night and where expensive.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is it for me as well. I went down into the student section as it was a year after I graduated and I wanted to be down there! It was insane. My moment from that game was when it was so loud on those 4 downs that we caused Palko to false start a few times and I believe call at least one time out. Each time they got a false start, the sound level went up a notch. It was insane! I'll always remember that game.

Second place is DJ throwing the ball out of the stadium. I was sitting in that section by the scoreboard where he threw the ball over and out. Awesome game.

Beating WV was great too but those two games are at the top for me, with the Pitt game being number one, easily.

Reaction Score
As another poster stated, the "Snow Bowl" game against USF. Back and forth game that ended with a game winning field goal. Night Game also makes it special. By the 4th Quarter, half the stands were empty but it was as loud as I ever remember it being.

Reaction Score
I was at that Pitt game and that USF snow game; both great but I think the WVU still tops it from an environment standpoint

Reaction Score
I'm with you. Triple OT. SportsCenter highlight of the night. A cold November evening in Connecticut. Proving we could hang with the big boys. It was a great night.

That was only one OT if I remember correct. Monster play forcing a WVU fumble on the goal line in OT.

My top 5:

1. DJ throwing the ball in the stands in double OT - going for 2 on the PAT was epic.
2. USF goal line stand in the rain
3. Storming the field after finally beating WVU
4. Pitt game 2010 - Randy's happy dance
5. USF snow bowl game

Also Rutty 2003, Baylor & RG3 2008, Pitt 2004, Larry Taylor game vs Vile, Rutty 2007, and one non-Esdsall game: Houston 2015 (got us bowl-eligible and the Rent finally showed a pulse again - was nice to see even if it was short-lived).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1. DJ throwing the ball in the stands
2. USF goal line stand
5. USF snow bowl game

Also Rutty 2003, Baylor & RG3 2008, Pitt 2004, Larry Taylor game vs Vile, Rutty 2007, and one non-Esdsall game: Houston 2015 (got us bowl-eligible and the Rent finally showed a pulse again - was nice to see even if it was short-lived).

Yesss, I had totally forgot about the USF goal line stabd; THAT was awesome

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I went to a game against USF in 2011. Me and my brother had bought seats in the corner of the stadium way at the top. At halftime, a couple came up and asked if we would switch seats with them so that they could sit next to their kids. We agreed and we found out the seats were two rows back from the end zone from the side. When we got down there, I realized Hasheem Thabeet was in the row right in front of me. We were losing at halftime. The score was 10-9 and then USF fumbled in their own endzone (the one we were right on top of) and we won 16-10. I'm not going to lie, I'm kind of UConn's lucky charm. I've only gone to one UConn athletic event where we lost (last year's overtime BB game against Auburn).

Reaction Score
Can't pick just one.
Pitt 2004/2010. 2004 was the loudest the Rent has been (IMO). 2010 was the Sandstorm game.
When we finally beat WVU
Storming the field after the USF and after Houston

UConnNick

Reaction Score
This is it for me as well. I went down into the student section as it was a year after I graduated and I wanted to be down there! It was insane. My moment from that game was when it was so loud on those 4 downs that we caused Palko to false start a few times and I believe call at least one time out. Each time they got a false start, the sound level went up a notch. It was insane! I'll always remember that game.

Second place is DJ throwing the ball out of the stadium. I was sitting in that section by the scoreboard where he threw the ball over and out. Awesome game.

Beating WV was great too but those two games are at the top for me, with the Pitt game being number one, easily.

Rentschler Field = house of horrors for Tyler Palko.

Last edited:

UConnNick

Reaction Score
That was only one OT if I remember correct. Monster play forcing a WVU fumble on the goal line in OT.

My top 5:

1. DJ throwing the ball in the stands in double OT - going for 2 on the PAT was epic.
2. USF goal line stand in the rain
5. USF snow bowl game

I don't get to that many games at The Rent because it requires a 3,600 mile R/T, but I was there for that Rutgers game in 2003. That was not just my favorite game I've attended at the Rent, it was one of the greatest CFB games I've ever seen anywhere, live or on TV. Throughout the second half, it was so competitive you had a feeling it was the type of game where the last team to possess the ball was going to win. It didn't quite work that way, as we forced a turnover deep in Scarlet Knights' territory and scored the winning TD with about a minute or less left. Then our defense kept them from scoring on their last possession. Final score 35-31.

Reaction Score
1973 Again. Again, Memorial Stadium..., Last Home Game and Last Game of Season, Holy Cross Scores a TD with less than a minute left, we're down 7-9, only UConn TD an Eric Torkelson 18 Yd. run, we stuff the 2 Pt. conversion attempt, After HC's late score, they inexplicably ran a straight kickoff play deep to us, we run a perfectly executed reverse. Take it down the left sideline, home side, inside the 20, stadium going nuts, we kick the FG with seconds left-Win 10-9. November 24, 1973. We Finish 8-2-1.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom