Favorite CV stat: 10 reb! | The Boneyard

Favorite CV stat: 10 reb!

Reaction Score
Rebounding is mostly about heart. Yes it helps to be tall and athletic but if you don't want the ball more than the other players on the court then you are never going to be a good rebounder. CV is a small guy and not the most athletic guard but he (along with Facey) had the biggest heart on the court tonight!

In fact the whole team rebounded the ball very well, but to be 6'2 and get 10 rebs coming off the bench is pretty special.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Rebounding is mostly about heart. Yes it helps to be tall and athletic but if you don't want the ball more than the other players on the court then you are never going to be a good rebounder. CV is a small guy and not the most athletic guard but he (along with Facey) had the biggest heart on the court tonight!

In fact the whole team rebounded the ball very well, but to be 6'2 and get 10 rebs coming off the bench is pretty special.
And he didn't lose his guy doing it. He still let's his player dribble past him. Rodney is the best at preventing this. But this was a great game for him.

Reaction Score
And he didn't lose his guy doing it. He still let's his player dribble past him. Rodney is the best at preventing this. But this was a great game for him.

I agree with you. It seems that the general Boneyard view of CV is that he is a lockdown defender and a pure shooter. I don't think thats very accurate because as you say on defense he can struggle with quick guards who can blow by him (CV just doesn't have very good lateral quickness).

To me CV's strengths are:

1) His confidence on the court
2) His ability to rebound as a guard
3) Free throw shooting

In addition to his strengths he is a capable 3 point shooter but not a good one.

He is young and he's learning. I would like to see him get more assists. He came into the game averaging 1.5 asts and 1.3 turnovers per game. Tonight he had 5 asts to 0 turnovers which was great and much needed because Adams had 4 turnovers. Hopefully tonight is a sign of things to come from him.

Reaction Score
Ok I'll say it he has the moxie of Shabazz as a freshman. His shot is better than Sr. Purvis. He hustle and plays hard like freshman Boat. He contributes and has production like freshman Kemba.

I think we have a piece of coal that will be a diamond in 3 years. His game will transcend to an outstanding Div 1 guard once he improves his handle. He may not be an AA but I see him doing what Taliek did, keeping us relevant and on top. Of all our guards he is the one to keep an eye on, he's deferring right now but also learning. He'll be a bad ass his Senior year or sooner.

Just saying he's a keeper and a program stabilizer, on our way back to our Throne.

Reaction Score
Gotta think he has a great chance at being AAC Rookie of the Week this time around. I know the kid from Cincinnati helped them out in a big win versus Xavier, but this would be well-deserved.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Gotta think he has a great chance at being AAC Rookie of the Week this time around. I know the kid from Cincinnati helped them out in a big win versus Xavier, but this would be well-deserved.
It's no contest.

Cumberland averaged 9.5 points and 2.5 rebounds against Xavier and Tulsa.

Vital averaged 15.5 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals against South Florida and Tulane. And zero turnovers. Wow.

Cincy's tougher opponents won't make a difference.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I'll respectfully disagree. Rebounding is mostly about trigonometry. Understanding angles, getting to the anticipated spot first, having the right footwork and angles to block out the other guy. You could say it's having high basketball IQ. That said, you can't be lazy about it, so I'll give you that. But just wanted to say that heart without the above skills will simply get you a lot of fouls. We've seen plenty of that. We still need to be better on rebounding long shots.

Reaction Score
I'll respectfully disagree. Rebounding is mostly about trigonometry. Understanding angles, getting to the anticipated spot first, having the right footwork and angles to block out the other guy. You could say it's having high basketball IQ. That said, you can't be lazy about it, so I'll give you that. But just wanted to say that heart without the above skills will simply get you a lot of fouls. We've seen plenty of that. We still need to be better on rebounding long shots.

You're both right, all of the above would make the great rebounder. Keeping the box out is of the utmost importance, but knowing when the shot will be going up and having a solid idea of where it is going can make you exceptional no matter the size. Having said all of this, the best rebounds to watch are the team rebounds when everyone has someone locked out and you get the rebound off the bounce. Love those.

Reaction Score
Agree, but I don't want to overlook another thing that happened: Vital got into the paint and actually made some plays. He found Facey on a drop-off one time, and had a kick-out as well, etc. That's a crucial wrinkle to add to his growing-faster-than-I-expected skillset.

Reaction Score
Agree, but I don't want to overlook another thing that happened: Vital got into the paint and actually made some plays. He found Facey on a drop-off one time, and had a kick-out as well, etc. That's a crucial wrinkle to add to his growing-faster-than-I-expected skillset.

All those who have him as the "solid #4" with Alterique healthy and MAL coming in may need to hold their horses. #3 is in his sights I'm sure, and you have to like what you're seeing from the kid, a lot!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
He has really come about the last few games
He looks more comfortable he looks steadier with the ball he passes with more conviction and he has a hunger in his eyes - PT does wonders
Will he ever be the # guard for UConn? Probably not but if he plays at this level - what a freak'n luxury
KO saw something in CV but then again we need to second guess his player assessment!!!

Reaction Score
You're both right, all of the above would make the great rebounder. Keeping the box out is of the utmost importance, but knowing when the shot will be going up and having a solid idea of where it is going can make you exceptional no matter the size. Having said all of this, the best rebounds to watch are the team rebounds when everyone has someone locked out and you get the rebound off the bounce. Love those.
I also agree that they are both right. But when it comes to rebounding, I always go back to an answer Calhoun gave when asked " why is Marcus White such a great rebounder". His answer was " because he wants to be". I really believe that answer. Not that boxing out and angles don' t matter, they do. But you have to want to be a good rebounder, to be a good rebounder. Sounds simple, but it really is true.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
CV isn't exactly unathletic. Saw him throw down a couple nice ones pregame. Nothing compared to what Adams and Purvis were doing though.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
Jeff Adrien is also a prime example of just wanting to rebound more than anybody else.

Reaction Score
One more stat: In his last 160 minutes (across 7 games), CV has 4 turnovers and 15 assists. He's committed a turnover in just 2 of those 7 games.

The folks who have him penciled in at No. 4 on the guard depth chart next year are selling the kid short. Ball security, weakside rebounding & good defense aren't to be underestimated. If his shooting #s continue to climb, he will have a huge rule for his entire stay in Storrs.

Reaction Score
One more stat: In his last 160 minutes (across 7 games), CV has 4 turnovers and 15 assists. He's committed a turnover in just 2 of those 7 games.

The folks who have him penciled in at No. 4 on the guard depth chart next year are selling the kid short. Ball security, weakside rebounding & good defense aren't to be underestimated. If his shooting #s continue to climb, he will have a huge rule for his entire stay in Storrs.
I agree. MAL will be playing catchup to CV next year. With all the experience and confidence he is getting this season CV will practically be a junior this time next year. AG may have more skills and talent he too will not have the experience CV has. Mal as good as he may be is #4 and will have to wait for Jalen to leave to move up. Its not a bad thing its just how things have played out due to injuries. On a aside note, CV will probably become a fan favorite around here (his sure is mine) which will be another advantage.

Its not negative but quite the opposite, these injuries have really turned into something positive for Jalen (now a legit point guard), and freshmen CV and Vance.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score

I have him as starting 2.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I'm going to wait until next year. I'm keeping the cars in the garage until the season begins and we see how things play out.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I agree. MAL will be playing catchup to CV next year. With all the experience and confidence he is getting this season CV will practically be a junior this time next year. AG may have more skills and talent he too will not have the experience CV has. Mal as good as he may be is #4 and will have to wait for Jalen to leave to move up. Its not a bad thing its just how things have played out due to injuries. On a aside note, CV will probably become a fan favorite around here (his sure is mine) which will be another advantage.

Its not negative but quite the opposite, these injuries have really turned into something positive for Jalen (now a legit point guard), and freshmen CV and Vance.

Yeah. It was frustrating being in the chatroom with the mob saying AG should automatically be given primary PG duties next year. Haven't we learned by now that our best PGs blossom in the Jr/Sr seasons? And we pretty much acknowledge that Jalen is better than Bazz, Boat and even Kemba at this point in his career.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Ok I'll say it he has the moxie of Shabazz as a freshman. His shot is better than Sr. Purvis. He hustle and plays hard like freshman Boat. He contributes and has production like freshman Kemba.

I think we have a piece of coal that will be a diamond in 3 years. His game will transcend to an outstanding Div 1 guard once he improves his handle. He may not be an AA but I see him doing what Taliek did, keeping us relevant and on top. Of all our guards he is the one to keep an eye on, he's deferring right now but also learning. He'll be a bad ass his Senior year or sooner.

Just saying he's a keeper and a program stabilizer, on our way back to our Throne.

I agree 100%. With he and Jackson approving by the game, I have to wonder about next year. It will be interesting to see. There was a post a week ago I believe that asked "wondering if Larrier is worrying about next year." This is mid season. If they both continue to grow at this rate, do you sit them down?

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Yeah. It was frustrating being in the chatroom with the mob saying AG should automatically be given primary PG duties next year. Haven't we learned by now that our best PGs blossom in the Jr/Sr seasons? And we pretty much acknowledge that Jalen is better than Bazz, Boat and even Kemba at this point in his career.
I was in the chatroom and was teasing @Matrim55 when I suggested AG. But kidding aside there is no way of knowing the progression of players year over year. So on paper Jalen is the point guard over AG based on his recent performance and experience differential. Jalen is an outstanding first choice and can always be the last choice next season. But I'm not going to box myself in (hypothetically since none of us are running the team). Jalen has to be 1a with playmaking as things currently stand. But why make AG a distant two?

There was a lot of times in yesterdays game that KO had Rodney and Jalen switch roles when it was obvious Jalen was struggling. I'd like to see enough development from AG running the point at the beginning of next season to take over the point should the occasion develop in which UConn needs him. Let the coaches and players sort out the chemistry issues. I'm not advocating a complete switch nor even a majority of time for AG to be the primary ball handler when both are on the court. I'm advocating a wait and see before I judge what's best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom