Favorite CV stat: 10 reb! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Favorite CV stat: 10 reb!

Reaction Score
One more stat: In his last 160 minutes (across 7 games), CV has 4 turnovers and 15 assists. He's committed a turnover in just 2 of those 7 games.

The folks who have him penciled in at No. 4 on the guard depth chart next year are selling the kid short. Ball security, weakside rebounding & good defense aren't to be underestimated. If his shooting #s continue to climb, he will have a huge rule for his entire stay in Storrs.
I mean, he's Craig Austrie, right? A bit faster and more athletic, but who here wouldn't take Craig Austrie on our team every single year: a player who can step up and lead a team, a hard worker, good shooter, and tough defender who you don't really want as your starting 1 or 2, but is hard to keep off the court at times.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
KO is extremely loyal (perhaps to a fault). Given that CV has busted his tail this year I don't see him sitting Vital because a player with more twitter followers comes in.

Reaction Score
KO is extremely loyal (perhaps to a fault). Given that CV has busted his tail this year I don't see him sitting Vital because a player with more twitter followers comes in.
True, but he also likes to play 2 point guards, and we'll have Adams (hopefully) and Gilbert (already in the program) and MAL coming off the bench. I suspect he'll be the fourth guard, but I also think we'll see some 4-guard lineups next year with Jackson and Larrier at the 4 at moments.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
All those who have him as the "solid #4" with Alterique healthy and MAL coming in may need to hold their horses. #3 is in his sights I'm sure, and you have to like what you're seeing from the kid, a lot!

Much like Ollie and TBrown, I get the sneaky feeling that for the next three seasons there are supposed to be recruits taking Vital's minutes. And at the end of each season Vital will have more PT than said recruits.

Reaction Score
MAL is more talented, can dribble and penetrate something Vital just isn't good at yet. It's up to Vital if he wants to be the third guard. If he out works MAL then he will be the third. I wouldn't count the kid out.

Reaction Score
I mean, he's Craig Austrie, right? A bit faster and more athletic, but who here wouldn't take Craig Austrie on our team every single year: a player who can step up and lead a team, a hard worker, good shooter, and tough defender who you don't really want as your starting 1 or 2, but is hard to keep off the court at times.
I've said this from the start, but CV is absolutely more than just another Austrie. He's a better athlete and has more muscle as freshman that Austrie did as a senior. They do a lot of the same things, but CV is already doing them better than CV did and athletically CV has a pretty significant edge. That shows up in the 10 rebounds he got last night. CV is also currently shooting a slightly better 3pt% than Austrie did over his full 4 year career (33% vs 32.4%).

Reaction Score
I've said this from the start, but CV is absolutely more than just another Austrie. He's a better athlete and has more muscle as freshman that Austrie did as a senior. They do a lot of the same things, but CV is already doing them better than CV did and athletically CV has a pretty significant edge. That shows up in the 10 rebounds he got last night. CV is also currently shooting a slightly better 3pt% than Austrie did over his full 4 year career (33% vs 32.4%).
To be fair, Craig Austrie was competing against a much higher level of competition, so I'm not willing to give any definitive edge here yet.

That said, VC is a better athlete and more muscular. He's also playing with a much weaker team as well.

Reaction Score
To be fair, Craig Austrie was competing against a much higher level of competition, so I'm not willing to give any definitive edge here yet.

That said, VC is a better athlete and more muscular. He's also playing with a much weaker team as well.
Agreed that the scenarios aren't easily compared - Austrie got almost no rebounds, but was on teams with talented, rebounding bigs. Maybe he doesn't achieve it, but CV's upside is really exciting.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
CV doesn't know he not supposed to be a frontline player on this team. Good thing he's a little slow in that way. He has been a big positive surprise and he is getting better as time goes on.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
MAL is more talented, can dribble and penetrate something Vital just isn't good at yet.
Probably all true. Doesn't yet mean he's a better basketball, or will be a better fit.

So much of the game happens away from the ball, and CV is much better than advertised in that aspect of the game. Kid gets it.

Reaction Score
MAL is more talented, can dribble and penetrate something Vital just isn't good at yet. It's up to Vital if he wants to be the third guard. If he out works MAL then he will be the third. I wouldn't count the kid out.
This may be the case but MAL is playing against high schoolers, CV is playing (and performing) on a much higher level. He was not supposed to be this advanced as a freshman, but due to AG injuries and consequently more court time, he is advancing at an above average pace.

MAL will be coming in with a little disadvantage. That's the point people are making in that CV will have no adjustment next year as many sophomores have to make.

Freshman - Learning D1 ball
Sophomore - Making adjustments
Junior - Production and Contributing
Senior - High Performance

Based on the above CV will basically be a junior as will Vance. They are making their adjustments now (January) and producing and contributing. Both will be expected to produce and contribute next year, while MAL will be learning (with a lot less PT available as compared to CV this season). Lastly CV (and Vance) will not have confidence issues as they know and have proven they belong. This fan does not fret when CV enters the game, partly because he's one of my favs.

CV also has the benefit of playing with Purvis, a Sr. guard and with a couple of Champions. In addition he is practicing/playing with an NBAer and potential AA in Jalen. I also think Ollie is giving him special attention because he likes what he sees.

Just sating that MAL will be a freshman in the true sense of the word, and that's okay.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom